Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2012, 08:40 AM   #1
Kimosabe
DIS Veteran

What time does Port Canaveral terminal open?

We are sailing on the Fantasy this weekend and got an 11:00 boarding/check-in time. After our first DCL cruise on the Dream last year, with an afternoon check-in, this time we wanted to get on as soon as possible. Even without getting into our stateroom until later, we will have no problem finding things to do! I have seen mixed comments on various sites about how soon you can actually arrive and get bags checked, through security and into the terminal and "sitting on ready" when they start boarding the ship. Thoughts or suggestions? Thanks!
Old 12-05-2012, 08:48 AM   #2
erionm
DIS Veteran

The time you selected is your Port Arrival time. Your boarding number will be based on that time.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-05-2012, 01:37 PM   #3
jcarwash
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimosabe View Post
We are sailing on the Fantasy this weekend and got an 11:00 boarding/check-in time. After our first DCL cruise on the Dream last year, with an afternoon check-in, this time we wanted to get on as soon as possible. Even without getting into our stateroom until later, we will have no problem finding things to do! I have seen mixed comments on various sites about how soon you can actually arrive and get bags checked, through security and into the terminal and "sitting on ready" when they start boarding the ship. Thoughts or suggestions? Thanks!
I think the terminal also officially opens at 11am. I am not current with how far in advance of 11am you should/can arrive, but I think you have the best port arrival time you can get for boarding purposes.

WDW: 17 | DLR: 3 | DCL: 2
Next: Feb 2015 Disney Magic
jcarwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:01 PM   #4
STLEdge
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I think the terminal also officially opens at 11am. I am not current with how far in advance of 11am you should/can arrive, but I think you have the best port arrival time you can get for boarding purposes.
That's correct. That said, we arrived at about 10:45 for a cruise a few months ago and the terminal was already open. Your boarding group # is determined by your assigned time and the boat won't be ready to board until closer to 11:30 or noon anyway, so getting there early just increases the time you wait in the terminal. I'd just aim to get there at 11am and you'll be fine.
Eastern Caribbean, Disney Fantasy, November 2014
STLEdge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:25 PM   #5
Dave Dizney
Super-Duper organized Ultimate Disney Fan!
And Travel Channel Television Star!
Possibly a hitchhiking ghost...

OK - we're less than a month away from our cruise, and I've filled out the online check-in. Where do find what time our check in will be? How do you set that?
Dave Dizney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:29 PM   #6
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Dizney View Post
OK - we're less than a month away from our cruise, and I've filled out the online check-in. Where do find what time our check in will be? How do you set that?
As part of the online checkin you should have selected a Port Arrival Time. Your PAT is tied to the boarding number you will receive when you check in at the port.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:36 PM   #7
kcashner
DIS Veteran

We were on the first bus from MCO. When we arrived at about 10:25, they opened the terminal for us. As soon as the bus people were in, they started allowing the people who were waiting. Boarding started about 11:30 (earlier than we'd seen it before!)

Selecting a terminal arrival time is one step in the on line check in process--do back to your on line area and see whether you selected one or need to do it now. Your boarding card will be tied to your terminal arrival time. Regardless of when you arrive, you will still get the same boarding card.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:40 PM   #8
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
We were on the first bus from MCO. When we arrived at about 10:25, they opened the terminal for us. As soon as the bus people were in, they started allowing the people who were waiting. Boarding started about 11:30 (earlier than we'd seen it before!)

Selecting a terminal arrival time is one step in the on line check in process--do back to your on line area and see whether you selected one or need to do it now. Your boarding card will be tied to your terminal arrival time. Regardless of when you arrive, you will still get the same boarding card.
A little clarification, please? If I select a PAT of, say, 1:00 and my flight arrives at MCO at 8:00 am, so I am able to checkin early at the airport, right? Does my boarding number stay the same as my 1:00 PAT selection? Or do I get a lower boarding number because I'm using DCL transfers and getting to the port earlier?

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:46 PM   #9
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
A little clarification, please? If I select a PAT of, say, 1:00 and my flight arrives at MCO at 8:00 am, so I am able to checkin early at the airport, right? Does my boarding number stay the same as my 1:00 PAT selection? Or do I get a lower boarding number because I'm using DCL transfers and getting to the port earlier?

If you are on DCL transportation and check in at MCO, you get the boarding number when you board the bus--they "throw away" the terminal arrival time and the assigned boarding card. If you are on the first bus, you will get a boarding number 3 or 4 (1 is concierge, 2 is platinum). After that, it is just a matter of when you checked in at MCO/which bus you are on. The first bus will depart about 9:20-9:30 and arrive at the terminal just before 10:30.

If you are using private transportation and show up at the terminal at 10:30...AND they let you in...you still get the boarding number that is tied to your 1:00 scheduled arrival time.

One side note--if you are on a "special" cruise, like a TA, you can expect the Dis-ers and the frequent cruisers to be out in force. I arrived at MCO at 9 am to check in for the TA and was on the (no kidding) 5th bus! It really didn't matter, but the numbers were amazing.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:28 PM   #10
Dave Dizney
Super-Duper organized Ultimate Disney Fan!
And Travel Channel Television Star!
Possibly a hitchhiking ghost...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
As part of the online checkin you should have selected a Port Arrival Time. Your PAT is tied to the boarding number you will receive when you check in at the port.

I've looked over my pre-arrival guide, and I can't find anything on it about PAT. Do you know where it might be printed so I can check to make sure it's been done?
Dave Dizney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:33 PM   #11
erionm
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Dizney View Post
I've looked over my pre-arrival guide, and I can't find anything on it about PAT. Do you know where it might be printed so I can check to make sure it's been done?
It's one of the items you select during on-line check-in. It's during the same process where you enter your travel documents (passport or other) and enter how you are paying for stateroom charges.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:26 AM   #12
Kimosabe
DIS Veteran

Thanks, all! Did not realize the boarding would not actually start at 11:00...so I might just turn over and go back to sleep! Made it as far as St. Augustine after leaving Charlotte, NC at 7:00 last night...a glutton for late night driving punishment, but it usually means a quieter car with DD8 and DD10! Looking forward to a great week on the Fantasy -
Old 12-08-2012, 10:09 AM   #13
Silverfox97
PLATINUM Castaway Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimosabe
Thanks, all! Did not realize the boarding would not actually start at 11:00...
Port arrival begins at 11; actual boarding of the ship is around 11:45-Noon.

We are on our way right now!!!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

2016 Wonder Jan Southern ~ 2015 Magic June 11n Norway/Iceland; Dream Oct 4n ~ 2014 Fantasy Mar Eastern; Magic Oct Southern/B2B repo ~ 2013 Fantasy Mar Eastern; Dream Oct 4n; Oct Magic B2B ~
2012 Feb Dream & Fantasy x2 June Eastern, Dec Western ~ 2011 Magic x2 Jan 5n DD, Oct Western ~ 2010 Wonder Aug 5n DD ~ 2005 Fairytale Wedding @ GF Wedding Pavilion & 3n Wonder
Silverfox97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:29 AM   #14
lodge
DIS Veteran

it opens about a half hour to 1st boarding time, usually.
lodge is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: