Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2012, 08:41 PM   #1
Skip2MyLou
Mouseketeer

Ocd

A post on another thread made me think of this...

For anyone out there that has OCD, do you remember when you first started feeling that way? Like things had to be in a certain place?

My DD is 4. She has to have every door closed. Bedroom, bathroom, doors on her toys. Tonight she couldn't leave the house until she closed the door on her advent calendar. She has also associated a color with each of our twins. One is green & one is blue. They are fraternal boys. We can not mix up their blankets or pacifiers. Even some of their clothing. And we can not mix up what side of our van they sit on either. She gets very upset. We used to joke about it & think it was cute, but it seems to be increasing in frequency.

I mentioned it to her Dr at her 4 yr check up but he said it is her age. I'm just not so sure.

Disney College of Knowledge Graduate - June 2013
Skip2MyLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:49 PM   #2
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

When I pull out of the driveway, I turn my head left & check to see that the garage door is down. I back away from the house, so I can SEE it going down. But, if I forget to do that double-check at the end of the driveway, it drives me nuts. I've made it a mile or two up the road many times & had to go back to check. So far, it's always been down.
Register to remove

Old 12-19-2012, 08:53 PM   #3
tinkerbellandeeyor
DIS Veteran

OT What is the the difference between OCD and Type A personalty
Old 12-19-2012, 09:00 PM   #4
LuLuO
I am against mandatory fun

OP you are her parent and you need to trust your gut. Because you feel that there is something wrong, take her to be evaluated by a child psychologist. Make sure that they specialize in children her age. It may be nothing, but if it is something, better to find out sooner rather than later.
"When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say, 'Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.' To this day, especially in times of disaster, I remember my mother’s words, and I am always comforted by realizing that there are still so many helpers–so many caring people in this world." - Fred Rogers
LuLuO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:15 PM   #5
mrssmith06
DIS Veteran

I would get a 2nd or 3rd opinion from more doctors.

Among kids and teens with OCD, the most common obsessions include:
  • fear of dirt or germs
  • fear of contamination
  • a need for symmetry, order, and precision
  • religious obsessions
  • preoccupation with body wastes
  • lucky and unlucky numbers
  • sexual or aggressive thoughts
  • fear of illness or harm coming to oneself or relatives
  • preoccupation with household items
  • intrusive sounds or words

These compulsions are the most common among kids and teens:
  • grooming rituals, including hand washing, showering, and teeth brushing
  • repeating rituals, including going in and out of doorways, needing to move through spaces in a special way, or rereading, erasing, and rewriting
  • checking rituals to make sure that an appliance is off or a door is locked, and repeatedly checking homework
  • rituals to undo contact with a "contaminated" person or object
  • touching rituals
  • rituals to prevent harming self or others
  • ordering or arranging objects
  • counting rituals
  • hoarding and collecting things of no apparent value
  • cleaning rituals related to the house or other items

SOURCE: http://kidshealth.org/parent/emotion...vior/OCD.html#

Good luck!!! Hope you find the answers you need soon!!!
Old 12-19-2012, 09:23 PM   #6
Gorechick
DIS Veteran

Agree with others recommendations to have your child evaluated. I would bypass the pediatrician and find out what educational services are in your area. There should be programs specifically for early intervention screening. When I suspected my son had autism I went through our regional educational services to get him evaluated, no cost to me. Best thing I ever did, we had him diagnosed and in intervention programs by 2 years old and he is now an almost " typical" 2nd grader.
DTD-Courtyard by Marriott August 1997
Wilderness Lodge Honeymoon August 2002
Port Orleans- French Quarter Anniversary (AND Hurricane Charley) August 2004
Port Orleans- Riverside Royal Room- 10th Anniversary and First Trip with Twins August 2012
DS's WISH trip - Hopefully Aulani Resort! Summer 2015

Me (44) DH (40) DS (9) DD (9)

Waiting impatiently for our next family WDW trip!
Gorechick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:27 PM   #7
Erin1700
At least I am bragging about using soap!

My son is almost 6 and I remember being worried about the same thing when he was 4. The place mats on the table had to be perfect, his sister couldn't sit near his spot, etc.
I have a psych degree but not a masters, and I was really getting worried.
Turned out to just be his age. He grew out of all of that.
I should add that he also had such fear of storms and fireworks, that he would vomit. So it did go beyond the OCD thing. But he grew out of that too.
Erin1700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:34 PM   #8
mommanne
Mouseketeer

My son exhibited similar behaviors at that age. I let it go way too long assuming it was a phase. Nobody gives us a textbook!

It got out of control to where the behaviors controlled every aspect of home life. I finally sought therapy for him and it worked very well. For my son, life seemed out of control and the therapist taught him coping measures.

My son is 21 years old now and all the better for little help figuring stuff out with a neutral party. Best of luck!
Old 12-19-2012, 09:36 PM   #9
Minerva Mouse
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.
I no longer have eyebrows. I have bushes!

Sorry,

Last edited by Minerva Mouse; 12-19-2012 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Rethought this
Minerva Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:42 PM   #10
TifffanyD
Agreeing and making sense are not the same thing
I need to reload

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrssmith06 View Post
I would get a 2nd or 3rd opinion from more doctors.

Among kids and teens with OCD, the most common obsessions include:
  • fear of dirt or germs
  • fear of contamination
  • a need for symmetry, order, and precision
  • religious obsessions
  • preoccupation with body wastes
  • lucky and unlucky numbers
  • sexual or aggressive thoughts
  • fear of illness or harm coming to oneself or relatives
  • preoccupation with household items
  • intrusive sounds or words

These compulsions are the most common among kids and teens:
  • grooming rituals, including hand washing, showering, and teeth brushing
  • repeating rituals, including going in and out of doorways, needing to move through spaces in a special way, or rereading, erasing, and rewriting
  • checking rituals to make sure that an appliance is off or a door is locked, and repeatedly checking homework
  • rituals to undo contact with a "contaminated" person or object
  • touching rituals
  • rituals to prevent harming self or others
  • ordering or arranging objects
  • counting rituals
  • hoarding and collecting things of no apparent value
  • cleaning rituals related to the house or other items

SOURCE: http://kidshealth.org/parent/emotion...vior/OCD.html#

Good luck!!! Hope you find the answers you need soon!!!

Ugh this is a good list that brings back bad memories. I can remember spending hours standing at my bedroom door in college locking it. I had to hit the lock button a certain number of times (counting), then jiggle the handle. But I still felt it wasn't ok and would do this over and over. I'd get no sleep!

I did it in high school with my alarm clock. And all the time growing up I had chewing rituals... had to do a number of chews on one side, then the other, and had to make sure the food lasted to a certain even "number" I had in my head.

OP - if you think something is wrong please get her help! I never did and eventually outgrew it but it was hell sometimes.

ETA: Nowadays sometimes I forget to lock the door and/or set the alarm. And I set my alarm clock earlier in the day and just trust it's good (my job is fairly flexible anyways). LOL - what a difference
TifffanyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:49 PM   #11
Minerva Mouse
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.
I no longer have eyebrows. I have bushes!

OP I agree with the pediatrician.

Give your daughter some time to find herself, to grow, to figure herself out. I think that taking her (a 4 year old) to doctors to be "evaluated" might cause her some unnecessary stress, and may make her feel like she's different. I wouldn't jump that gun just yet, unless it gets to a point where the "ticks" (is that what they call them) are controlling a large part of her life or day.

In the meantime I would educate myself, I'd do as much research about OCD as I could to see when other parents began noticing things with there own children. Maybe learn if there is anything you can do to help her? Just read, learn what you can, and pay attention to the clues your daughter is giving you. In the end you will make the best the decision for her and your family.
Minerva Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:12 PM   #12
mommanne
Mouseketeer

In my experience

Some pediatricians won't listen when a parent says their child is "off" or something feels,"wrong". Especially with a a first child. A parent should listen to first instinct and go with it. I did with many issues that my two children had and my instinct was right every time.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:26 PM   #13
joanne312
DIS Veteran

If you feel in your gut she needs to be evaluated, then do it. That being said, something really only becomes a "disorder" when it negatively impacts or interferes with daily life. If she likes things neat and in order and doors closed, no big deal. But if she refuses to leave the house unless its done, becomes overwhelmingly anxious if its not done, etc, then you might be looking at something where behavioral interventions could be helpful.

Planning: Jan 2014 CSR, Oct 2014 BC
2013 POFQ ~ 2011 POR ~ 2010 Poly ~ 2008 DCL E. Caribbean ~ 2006 DCL W. Caribbean
joanne312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:51 AM   #14
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

If you are concerned, you can see someone without your dd and they can guide you with how to gain some control back over your house without freaking out your dd.

As far as peds, most do not deal with mental health issues with kids, just so you know.

The burden is on you to seek out that information/help for your child.

This is good info for you to understand, trust me. So if your gut is telling you that you need help, go get some.
The Mystery Machine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:03 AM   #15
A_Princess'_Daddy
DIS Veteran

OP. if you ask my parents, I was born with OCD, and certainly was displaying signs of it by four years old. I now see it in both of my children, but the perspective that I take is that OCD is not necessarily a bad thing, and I actually credit some of my tendencies for a lot of my success in life, but it can be overwhelming to a child so I agree that you should talk to a developmental pediatrician or a pediatric psychiatrist for a second opinion.

My parents helped me channel my tendencies early on, and we're doing the same with our children, and it helped me and seems to be helping them (although my son's obsessive door closing and daughter's compulsive rock collecting do even grate on me at time).

FWIW, I now take a very low dose of an anti-OCD medicine and it turns off 99.9% of my tendencies like a switch with no negative side effects, but we're going to wait on trying medication on the kids until they are much older, both to see if it's a phase and because there is no need at this age and with the relatively low severity of their tendencies to treat it pharmacologically.

Good luck!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: