Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2012, 11:15 AM   #1
pearljammer
Mouseketeer

Category 8D - Deluxe family Oceanview??

Hi all,

We've sailed 2 DCL cruises before. A 3 nighter and a 4 nighter, both in cat 11C (deck 2, inside stateroom). We now have reservations for cat 8D which was explained to us as a large porthole (that you can lie in) and larger (deluxe family oceanview room) on the 5th deck (room 5166 to be exact). Can anyone advise that's ever been in this cat what you thought? We're only paying $200 more to go from 11C to this category so it seems worth it for our first 7 nighter. Anyone have pics? I'll check room reports later but just booked this morning and don't want to say "is it worth it?" as that's a relative question but we figure with the longer cruise, the extra room may be nice (2 adults, one child (6)). Any input would be appreciated.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:22 AM   #2
kcashner
DIS Veteran

On many Dream/Fantasy cruises, the inside staterooms cost more than outside because people want to see the virtual portholes. Is this a room that holds 4 or 5 people? With 3 of you, you'll have plenty of space in a 4 person cabin; no need to pay extra for a cabin that holds 5. I don't know which this is.

The big porthole is nice. As you said, "worth it" is a personal issue.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-06-2012, 11:23 AM   #3
MissDaisyofTexas
DIS Veteran

We stayed in an 8C on the Dream last June. I have a few pics in my blog:

http://www.savingforadream.blogspot....-4-part-2.html

We thought the room was fairly large and had lots of drawers for putting away clothes. I think you will love it!
Disney Fantasy 7-night Eastern October 2014
MissDaisyofTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:27 AM   #4
mcd2745
You're only young once, but you have your whole life to be immature!

We stayed in an 8D - room 6010 - back in August. It's a long, narrow room. A child can sit comfortably in the porthole with their feet up, not exactly lie down. Ours had a split bath - as I think most, if not all, 8Ds do. We were 2A, 2C. If the beds are the same as in our room (queen bed, sofa bed, and murphy bed that folds down from wall) you'll be better off with only 1 child that would just use the sofa bed. When the murphy bed was down, it really made it cramped in the room.

mcd2745 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:36 AM   #5
gilsan
DIS Veteran

We have stayed in a 4B which is the same size stateroom as 8D, and loved the extra space, we are only 3 as well.

On our last cruise we were in 5650 a smaller room with huge balcony. I really missed the extra space in the stateroom and didn't get enough use from the balcony.

We loved being on deck 5 it was close to everything. So in my opinion that would be a great room. You get the extra space and are close to everything. I would (am) considering it for our next cruise.

2009 POFQ, 2010 Grand Floridian, 2011 Wilderness Lodge, 2012 BC/Dream Cruise/Poly, 2012 Halloween Fantasy Cruise, 2013 AKV, 2014 SSR/Eastbound Transatlantic Cruise2015 Eastbound Transatlantic Mmmm....Cake, 9 nights of Deluxe Dining w/Pictures
gilsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:11 PM   #6
Gatrcruzer
Mouseketeer

The Deluxe Family rooms (both OV and Verandah) also have a really nice rain shower, and it is in a round-shaped tub. We loved the shower. Just look at the location of your 8D room - I think I remember some of them being in locations that I thought could be noisy, but some are fine.
Gatrcruzer is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: