Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2012, 08:15 AM   #61
brookelizabeth
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

I hadn't heard of the wine walk! What a great way to start your trip around the World Showcase.

I'm so glad you are back on the DIS, you've been missed! I was off for a LOT of this whole year too (hence me still working on a January Disneyland trip!). Life takes over sometimes, for better or worse, but you've always got a bunch of Disney friends here welcoming you back. I hope things have improved from your absence and life is on the upswing again for you!

Just saw your post on the side of fries too...! Very much looking forward to hearing about that.
Feb 2014 - Vero Beach ... Sept 2013 - CR/Disney Fantasy...March 2013 - AKL/SSR/POR ... Oct 2012 - OKW ... Sept 2012 - Disney Magic ... June 2012 - Disney Magic ... Jan 2012 - PPH/VGC ... Aug 2011 - Pop/YC/OKW ... May 2011 - ASMo ... Feb/March 2011 - BWV/BLT ... Sept 2010 - BWV ... Dec/Jan 2009/10 - AKV ... Sept 2009 - CSR ... Jan 2009 - SSR ... Nov 2008 - WL ... Oct 2006 - AKL
brookelizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:27 AM   #62
PracPerfPatricia
DIS Veteran

Can I just live in the Moroccan Tower?

I want to do a small update to keep my mojo going... I'm not sure what the weekend is going to bring... all the normal pre-holiday mayhem, Emily's School play has a four show run beginning tonight- we're going twice, one matinee with David on Saturday... and tonight just me and Eric...tomorrow- her theatre board is having a sleep over here-it's a tradition thing-where they discuss awards and whatnot and I'm curious to see how this whole thing plays out... not to mention the food... I have a food list that seems kind of large for 10 people... but they are teenagers and there are boys... so... well we'll see. (Plus of course David's stuff and just all the regular normal life stuff...)

Actually that sounded a bit whiny... and right now... I'm actually feeling lucky to be able to have all of those things-all which are really positive- to be going on... I feel privileged that I am healthy and able to do these things so I guess I mean it much less of a complaint and more of an explanation if my updating & responding slows down over the next couple of days...

So...

We left France to head towards Morocco... so that I could get some lunch from the Tangierine Cafe. People seem to fall into two camps about Tangierine Cafe; they either love it or it just isn't at all their thing. I happen to fall into the former group- I really love it. I love the hummus, the dips, the tabbouleh, the pita bread and pretty much everything I've eaten there. I also love that its a little tasty break from a lot of the fairly meat heavy CS options at WDW... (Don't get me wrong... I'm a die heard Omnivore... but sometimes its nice to mix it up...)

I'm not entirely sure what we got...but here is a very bad photo of it... after we had started eating it... and then I said "STOP" I need a Dis picture... but the damage had all ready been done... (if anyone has a good Tangierine photo- YOU KNOW who you are -please feel free to post it so that anyone who hasn't eaten there... gets a more positive image...)

It was a lamb, hummus, tabbouleh... platter

Here is what David thought...

Probably more of the food photo than the actually food itself...

After eating... Eric realized he had left some medicine back at the BC with some of our things that were being held at the desk... so while he ran back over... David and I took a little journey through Morocco...& then Eric came back

David took the last of one of Eric and I -and I don't think it's half bad... now if he could only learn to smile appropriately for his pictures...

I think this pavilion is stunning... the amount of detail, the tiling, the light fixtures, the nooks and little "alleys" so fun... If I could live in World Showcase... I might just choose to live in Morocco...in this tower... with a view from the tower... hopefully of France on the one side and Japan on the other....

Speaking of Japan... we continued our journey...and arrived in time to see this...

Those ladies have some serious arm muscles... I don't think they need to do Coach to 5 K....

We heard the Holiday Story of the Daruma doll and all the Japanese customs of New Year- New Year being the most important holiday of the Japanese year...

Now this was all very interesting and a huge question was answered for me... exactly what are these?

They are Daruma Dolls... and you get one for New Year... and when you receive it-you color in one of its eyes after making a New Year's wish... when/if the wish comes true... you color in the other eye... and apparently one of the Japanese New Year's greeting translates roughly into "May your Daruma's eyes be filled in" -or something to that extent...

Well we got one for David- he is pretty interested in Japanese things....(plus I thought it was cool to buy it after having heard the custom...)

We wondered around the lovely pavilion... admired the koi and had (of course) to make a stop in the store...

I don't know about you ... but I remember very few trips when at least one of us hasn't gotten anything from in here....

I just wanted something little... so I chose a fan... my name is written in Japanese on the back...

In addition to his Daruma, David had to get something Domo...

While I was off buying Eric a shirt for Christmas... shhhhh.... my boys were getting me a little surprise...

Feeding my owl addiction... The white ones are supposed to be good luck and happiness...

After Japan, we wanted to do something that we hadn't done recently and that was "The American Adventure" ... so we headed off to American... and very sweetly Hatter went ahead to Italy to grab us another of our wine selections... I believe we had the Rosa Regale...from Piedmont... btw here are some photos of the card you get with your wine walk...

A bit worse for the wear I'm afraid...

Now I had read about this Rosa Regale before... It seems to have a bit of a cult following among some Disers... This description may explain it... Rosa Regale is a unique red sparkling wine. Aromatic with a hint of rose petals and raspberries, Rose Regale is delightfully vivacious and festive. Pairings: While it is appreciated as one of the few wines in the world that truly marries well with chocolate, especially dark or bittersweet, its charms extend across a palette of occasions and food pairings, from savory to sweet.

Hmmm... it really was pretty pleasant... and even if you don't think you like wine- I challenge you to drink this and not like it... next time I'll have to see if chocolate really holds up against it...

So with our RR we walked around the American Pavilion until it was close to the show... and we saw the Voice of Liberty singing some Carols...

before we went up the stairs to see the American Adventure...

I hadn't seen this in years... and I have to say I do find it moving... especially the Two Brothers portion... where one fights for the North and the other South... and only one comes home... (Does anyone know if Disney sells the music to this show?)

Well it was time to continue our journey... but for now I'm going to leave you here... I did download my photopass and even though none of the photos come into the story yet... I just wanted to share a couple ... I think these are kind of cute...

Up next... GERMANY is so on the way to dinner in Mexico honey,... and NORWAY is too...

PracPerfPatricia is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-13-2012, 10:46 AM   #63
PracPerfPatricia
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wigdoutdismom View Post
The perfect start to a Beach Club stay, a stroll though the private entrance! I love that you got to start out in the UK! I too agree that you had a lovely honeymoon. I have always wanted to go over and see, England, Scotland, and Ireland.
Baylor would be right there with David. He loves the crepes in France.
Did I just say how much I loved that entrance... I do feel very lucky to have honeymooned there and would also like to go back...

Those Crepes are pretty tasty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookelizabeth View Post
I hadn't heard of the wine walk! What a great way to start your trip around the World Showcase.

It was awesome... I posted the card for it above...

I'm so glad you are back on the DIS, you've been missed! I was off for a LOT of this whole year too (hence me still working on a January Disneyland trip!). Life takes over sometimes, for better or worse, but you've always got a bunch of Disney friends here welcoming you back. I hope things have improved from your absence and life is on the upswing again for you!

Things are lots better thanks & I'm really glad to be back too... This is a very supportive group...

Just saw your post on the side of fries too...! Very much looking forward to hearing about that.
I am stunned that it's open... but I'm really glad cause loose ends drive me nuts...
Old 12-13-2012, 06:24 PM   #64
Nermel9
DIS Veteran

I love the International Gateway entrance to Epcot, I love staying over there, having Epcot in your back yard!

I love Phineas and Ferb, the Perry missions are so much fun! They take a long time though! We only did 2 countries, so next time I'm back, we'll probably do more, they are really cute!

I've never heard of the Wine Walk, I'll have to tell my DH about it! I'm not really into wine, but he is, so that might be something he'd be interested in!

I love Morocco, isn't it beautiful? I never really thought of living in that tower, that's a good idea...I always thought if I lived in Epcot it would be in the UK or France area!

Many family trips offsite~9/08 ASMu~11/09 WL~Disneymoon 5/10 BC~11/10 POR~10/11 WL~12/11 Pop~5/12 BC~11/12 AoA/POR~2/13 AKL/BLT
Nermel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:06 AM   #65
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PracPerfPatricia View Post

[/COLOR]
Adorable! Just adorable!

I tried the Rose Regale at one of the culinary seminars during F&W and it was just fantastic. Loved it!

I also love the Tangerine Cafe. Tried it for the first time in June and I was instantly hooked. I've got a pic, but it is of the slider platter. I agree that hummus is awesome. I'm a big fan of lentils, too.

Morocco is a stunning country and its really hard not to take 100 pictures in 20 minutes. There is something new around every corner.

Great update and good luck with the sleepover.

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
MEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:24 AM   #66
KatMark
DIS Veteran

Great update, Patricia. I'm on the group that hates the food, but I do love Morocco and the pavilion.

We missed the Voices of Liberty this trip.

Love the photopass pictures....and your hat.
KatMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:36 PM   #67
TMGosizk
Mouseketeer

More great updates!

I, too, think that England is a wonderful choice for a honeymoon destination! That is top of my need to visit list!! When I was younger I wanted to be British--and actually spoke in a British accent for a few years--I think I hoped it would stick or something! Haha!...it didn't...and by Jr. High I outgrew my need to talk that way...though my friends and I still did, on occasion, bring out the accent well into high school...I'm not sure why...

Anyway...way off track...

My point is, England = great choice!!!

The Perry mission sounds fun! And those fish and chips look quite tasty!!!

Also never heard of the wine walk, but am thinking that may be something we do on our next visit while in World Showcase!

Hmm...Your meal from Morocco looks delicious! I've not eaten there, but now want to! Love everything on that plate! Yum!!
I agree that Morocco is a beautiful pavilion!

The Japan gift shop is so fun to look around in! We go in at least twice a trip!!! So many unique things in that one!

The American Adventure show... definitely moving...one of my favorites!

Hope you have an enjoyable, if busy, weekend! Enjoy the play!!

I'll Have a New Ticker Soon!

My First TR (in progress): Forget the Plans, We'll Just Play It By EAR!
First PTR:Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'Till Morning...to Disney World! Sep2013
TMGosizk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:42 PM   #68
Stringbean&Wingnut
DIS Veteran

While I do love hummus and pita bread and tabbouleh and all of that good stuff, I do have to say that Tangeriene Cafe was one of our most disappointing meals at Disney. It was really weird, because I always hear of people loving it there!

We commented on the arm muscles of the drummers too!! Their act is so impressive!!

Aww your little owl made his appearance! I wonder if he and Hoot were little buddies at the store!
Stringbean&Wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 12:11 AM   #70
Moira222
Can't get enough of the Magic & Pixie Dust!

Subbing! I have seen you on quite a few TRs, and well my ssster's name was Patricia too so I had to read your intro. I am hooked.

I did not know about the wine tour. That is right up my alley along with the coffee addiction.
Hope you are surviving your jam packed weekend!
Moira222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:18 PM   #71
PracPerfPatricia
DIS Veteran

I just had a crazy, crazy wonderful wacky weekend just like I'm sure everyone else is having this time of year...

Some responses and then some catching up on my subs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermel9 View Post
I love the International Gateway entrance to Epcot, I love staying over there, having Epcot in your back yard!

It doesn't get too much better... does it...

I love Phineas and Ferb, the Perry missions are so much fun! They take a long time though! We only did 2 countries, so next time I'm back, we'll probably do more, they are really cute!

They really are so much fun...we did another one too... later in our trip... they add a whole other level to WS... & we are huge Phineas and Ferb as well...

I've never heard of the Wine Walk, I'll have to tell my DH about it! I'm not really into wine, but he is, so that might be something he'd be interested in!

I love Morocco, isn't it beautiful? I never really thought of living in that tower, that's a good idea...I always thought if I lived in Epcot it would be in the UK or France area!
Well still giving it some thought... I liked the idea of being able to have those countries in my view...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
Adorable! Just adorable!

Thanks... That photographer was a lot of fun too...

I tried the Rose Regale at one of the culinary seminars during F&W and it was just fantastic. Loved it!

It goes down pretty easy doesn't it... I could have easily drank more of that ... lots more...

I also love the Tangerine Cafe. Tried it for the first time in June and I was instantly hooked. I've got a pic, but it is of the slider platter. I agree that hummus is awesome. I'm a big fan of lentils, too.

I really like the food... It feels somehow healthier... in a good-non Puritanical way... than some of the other options and sometimes even on vacation...there's something nice about that...

Morocco is a stunning country and its really hard not to take 100 pictures in 20 minutes. There is something new around every corner.

OMG... I know it... I actually thought of you in Morocco... It's like a photographer's dream...some many details... like Animal Kingdom...

Great update and good luck with the sleepover.
Thanks... & the sleepover went really well... they are a really nice group of kids... ... although there wasn't that much sleep... ... they had a lot of theatre business to talk about...Also their capacity to eat is astounding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
Great update, Patricia. I'm on the group that hates the food, but I do love Morocco and the pavilion.

We missed the Voices of Liberty this trip.

Love the photopass pictures....and your hat.
Thanks Kathy... I know most people either really like it or really don't... not too much in the middle... but most everyone loves the pavilion...

Sorry about the VoL... but I'm sure you did lots of other great things we'll be reading about...

Thanks... I really like that hat... and it has a little cameo pin of the Cheshire Cat on it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMGosizk View Post
More great updates!

I, too, think that England is a wonderful choice for a honeymoon destination! That is top of my need to visit list!! When I was younger I wanted to be British--and actually spoke in a British accent for a few years--I think I hoped it would stick or something! Haha!...it didn't...and by Jr. High I outgrew my need to talk that way...though my friends and I still did, on occasion, bring out the accent well into high school...I'm not sure why...

Anyway...way off track...

No I did something like that too and Em actually has a friend that was born in England and when I'm around her Mum... I actually fight the urge to pick up the accident... I wonder if some people are more suseptible to that...

My point is, England = great choice!!!

The Perry mission sounds fun! And those fish and chips look quite tasty!!!

Also never heard of the wine walk, but am thinking that may be something we do on our next visit while in World Showcase!

Perry Mission is Fun... the F&C quite tasty and def do the Wine Walk...

Hmm...Your meal from Morocco looks delicious! I've not eaten there, but now want to! Love everything on that plate! Yum!!
I agree that Morocco is a beautiful pavilion!

Oh yes... if you like that kind of food... you must eat there...

The Japan gift shop is so fun to look around in! We go in at least twice a trip!!! So many unique things in that one!

I'm not sure but I think that it's actually a branch of a real Japanese Department store...

The American Adventure show... definitely moving...one of my favorites!

I always tear up a bit ...

Hope you have an enjoyable, if busy, weekend! Enjoy the play!!
The play was really good- thanks... Em had a small part plus she was in charge of costuming... they were all wonderful... and worked really hard...
Old 12-16-2012, 09:32 PM   #72
PracPerfPatricia
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringbean&Wingnut View Post
While I do love hummus and pita bread and tabbouleh and all of that good stuff, I do have to say that Tangeriene Cafe was one of our most disappointing meals at Disney. It was really weird, because I always hear of people loving it there!

I'm sorry you had a bad experience there... .... I did have a bad cupcake experience though later in the trip... that stuff can be a real bummer... but a meal trumps a cupcake...

We commented on the arm muscles of the drummers too!! Their act is so impressive!!

I know... the drumming is fabulous and I think those ladies can take care of themselves...

Aww your little owl made his appearance! I wonder if he and Hoot were little buddies at the store!
I think they were...... now I'll have a story running in my mind about them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisMomAmy View Post
I haven't been on the boards in a weeks & probably won't get caught up until after Christmas but I wanted to make sure I subscribed to your TR! Can't wait to read it.
over Amy Thanks for coming and I have a feeling my writing might be slow too over the next week or so myself...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moira222 View Post
Subbing! I have seen you on quite a few TRs, and well my ssster's name was Patricia too so I had to read your intro. I am hooked.

Thanks for subbing on Mary Ellen... I'm glad you're here

I did not know about the wine tour. That is right up my alley along with the coffee addiction.

Wine and coffee = Awesome... except not at the same time...
Hope you are surviving your jam packed weekend!
Survived all in one piece... I love the name of your TR...anyone who uses a in their title has a good sense of humor IMHO... I have to come check it out...
Old 12-18-2012, 12:26 PM   #73
solana131
DIS Veteran

I've been slacking lately...but I'm all caught up now.

I'm with you on the early flight drama. In theory it is such a great idea, but the day of is pretty stressful. I usually have a 7:30 flight, but you have to be there two hours ahead and we live 2 1/1 hours away....so either spend the night near the airport and add $100 to the trip, or get up at 3am! But it is so worth it to have the whole first day in Disney!

That Wine Walk sounds incredible. I have never heard of it, but will have to add it to my "must do" list for next trip.

That hummus platter thingy looked yummy. That will be going on my "must do" list as well!

Feb'12 TR: How do I go back to a world that doesn't have fireworks every night?
July'12 TR: July 2012. Yes it was hot. Yes it was crowded. Yes it was FUN!
August'13 TR: Mom...am I supposed to have shoes on??
solana131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:30 PM   #74
mnmrmustard
DIS Veteran

‘Tis true about us west-coasters having a better jaunt to Japan/Hawaii – and flight time to L.A. is only 2 1/2hrs from here.

I would have liked to have done a DISmeet – I think we might have been in Sci-Fi Dine-In around the same time. But with half of my fam being sick I scrapped any thoughts of doing meets this trip. Like you said, there’s always next trip!

I liked you analogies about the ‘hunter’ and ‘gatherer’ methods of going thru theme parks. I started out as a hunter but I’ve gotten a lot better at being a gatherer and slowing down to enjoy/take things as they come.

Nice that you took the time to do a Perry mission. Bean and I did one in Norway – it was fun. The fact that I was following along with a margarita in my hand added to the entertainment value for me Glad that you too were able to save Perry! And the wine walk sounded fun, we’ll have to try that on one of our visits

I’m glad you found your last PTR is still alive, I’ll try and make my way over there and check it out. I know how it is with fading off and back onto the boards. It is easy for your immediate life to take all of your time and not leave much for DISBoards fun. I was MUCH more active a couple of years ago myself and try and keep in touch with friends but if it wasn’t for having them as friends on FB also I probably would have lost track of them.

Thanks for the info on the Tangierine Café. Pita Pit is a favorite stop of mine here at home so I’m sure I’d enjoy what they have to offer as you are right about the meat-heavy options for CS. The details in Morocco are very cool – I love taking pictures there. I think it was great that the King of Morocco sent over his own artisans to do all of those mosaics. Just beautiful.

We also tag-teamed seeing the drummers and hearing the Daruma doll story. We spent by far the most time in this pavilion – both girls LOVE Japanese art and pop culture and are very into Anime/Manga. They went nuts in the shops

Great shots in the America Pavilion. We didn’t spend any time there this year other than to look at the Christmas stuff. But Roxy and I had spent a lot of time there during our 2011 trip so we were okay skipping it.

Great Photopass pics of you three in front of Spaceship Earth. Love the hat! I’m looking forward to hearing about the rest of your journey around WS!
1976 - Disneyland ~ 2002 - Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure ~ 2005 - Disneyland ~ 2008 - Walt Disney World - SeaWorld/Discovery Cove ~ 2009 - Disneyland ~ 2011 - Walt Disney World/Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure ~ 2012 - Walt Disney World/Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure
mnmrmustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:07 PM   #75
Disney9.9.10
DIS Veteran

All caught up! They really did do an amazing job with those Pavilions, didn't they? I've heard a lot of great things about Tangerine Cafe. There vegetarian selections look sooo good (and I'm nearly a vegetarian lol). I love that story of the Daruma Dolls! Thanks for sharing it here. I don't know a lot about different cultures and their traditions but it is so interesting. That Rosa Regale also sounds great, I love wine and I love chocolate so it sounds perfect! I love the last pictures at EPCOT too, very cute

Dec 1988 - First Trip! * 1989 * 1990 * 1992 - Polynesian * 1996 - ASMu - Dance Trip for Disney's Magic Music Days * Dec 2002 - DCL Wonder & ASMo * March 2004 * March 2005 - Pop * August 2007 - ASMu * September 2010 - Grand Floridian - Wedding/Honeymoon Trip! * August 2011 - AKL Kidani Village * December 2012 - CSR

Krysten Michael Evelyn and Scarlett Mommy to an Angel

Disney9.9.10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: