DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2012, 10:36 AM   #1
jennypenny
Raising 3 disneyholics like any proper parent!

How to time direct purchase for double points?

Sorry, I should know this...

I remember reading how to time your direct purchase so that you got essentially two year's worth of points right away. I can't remember if you buy the points near the end of your use year, or at the begining of your use year.

Is disney still doing this?

----------
I meant to put this in the DVC purchase forum and I don't know how (or if) I can move it. Sorry Mods.

I wake up dreaming of the Beach Club...
jennypenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:44 AM   #2
jimaok
Mouseketeer

We bought direct from Disney (160 points- April use year -OKW) Purchased at end of the use year by closing we got 160 current points and 160 prior year points. Only caveat- we had to pay mf on the previous years points (which wasn't a big deal) Can anyone say "Grand Villa".
jimaok is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-06-2012, 10:59 AM   #3
Chuck S
DVC Boards Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Disney is, in essence, giving you nothing. When purchasing direct, you simply buy near the end of your use year. For instance, if you have a June Use Year and purchase in April 2013, you will receive the June 2012 points (as those are the current points for June use years) and on June 1, you'll receive the 2013 June use year points.

Dues/Taxes are not based upon use year, they are based upon calendar year, so they would be the same no matter what use year you purchased. You would owe Dues from April 2013 to December 2013. Essentially January, February and March would be prorated out of your dues, since you did not own the contract until April.

They simply word the deal to make it seem like you are getting last year's (2012) points as a bonus, when it is actually the current use year.

DVC Member at OKW since 1992
Chuck S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:07 AM   #4
jennypenny
Raising 3 disneyholics like any proper parent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck S View Post
Disney is, in essence, giving you nothing....They simply word the deal to make it seem like you are getting last year's (2012) points as a bonus, when it is actually the current use year.
I understand that. If you re-read my question, it didn't say anything Disney giving me anything, but just timing it to end up with 2 years' worth of points after the close.

Pretty snarky response from a moderator.

I wake up dreaming of the Beach Club...
jennypenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:20 AM   #5
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennypenny View Post
I understand that. If you re-read my question, it didn't say anything Disney giving me anything, but just timing it to end up with 2 years' worth of points after the close.

I'm sure that it wasn't meant to be snarky, just truthful. We need to remember that thousands of people read our posts and you may be aware of Disney's sales practices, but many may not.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:52 AM   #6
Chuck S
DVC Boards Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Quote:

I'm sorry if you took it that way, it was meant to be informative. If you read the post above mine, you'll see that it says that they had to pays dues on the "previous use year points" when buying from Disney, and that they received current points as well as "last years" points.

Since dues are based on calendar year, paying "dues" on last years points is not possible.

The only thing Disney will do is waive the banking deadline and allow those points from the end of the current use year to be banked.

DVC Member at OKW since 1992
Chuck S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:54 AM   #7
keaster
DIS Veteran

We bought in July 2011 and got a February use year.

So even though we were halfway through the use year we immediately banked our 2011 points into 2012 as we were done vacationing for the year and then had double points do with as we wished for 2012 and forward.

DCL Gold, Baby!
Caribbean Magic - February 2009
Bahamas Wonder - September 2009
Mediterranean Magic - May 2010
Mexico Wonder - March 2011
Bahamas Dream - July 2011
Caribbean Fantasy - March 2013

Our DVC Adventures!AKL Jambo - March 2012/AKL Kidani - August 2012/BLT - March 2013/SSR Treehouse - August 2013/AKL Kidani - March 2014/VGF - June 2014
keaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:00 PM   #8
kristenrice
DIS Veteran

We bought 50 points on January 25, 2011 with a February UY. On January 26, the points were in my account and I immediately called to bank them. I had 100 points available on Febuary 1. I'm not sure how the dues worked out on those 2011 points though, since it was already 2012. I think I just paid 340/365 of the 2012 points.

2001 OKW 2002 WL for HONEYMOON!January 2008 POP/OKW October 2008 AKV GIRLS ONLY! June 2009 AKV October 2009 POP with my BFF for my Birthday April 2010 AKV April 2011 HHI Oct 2011 BLT/BWV with DSiL June 2012 GRAND GATHERING at OKW April 2013 HHI November 2013 AKV *1st Half-Marathon*Oct 2014 Surprising the Nieces at AKV May 2015 AKV Expedition Everest Challenge
kristenrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:00 PM   #9
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:

Your post is titled Double points. DVC never gives you double points. He was trying to respond in a way that everyone would understand.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:34 PM   #10
LisaS
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I remember reading how to time your direct purchase so that you got essentially two year's worth of points right away. I can't remember if you buy the points near the end of your use year, or at the begining of your use year.

When you buy directly from Disney they start you out with a full set of current UY points, provided they have not run out of them. They allow you to bank them even if you are past your banking deadline. If you are close to the end of your UY it feels like you are getting double points but that's not really the case. You would have received exactly the same number of points if you purchased that add-on at the start of your UY rather than at the end.

The issue of timing has to do with the pro-rated dues you pay in that first year. You will owe dues from the later of: your purchase date, the start of your initial UY and the occupancy date of the Unit you purchase. This last item applies only to new construction so let's ignore that.

Let's say you have a December UY and let's wind the clock back and say you purchased an add-on on Nov 30, 2012 and that they still had current (Dec 2011) UY points available so you got those with your purchase. You would pay 32 days worth of dues for 2012.

What if you had purchased that same add-on back on Jan 1, 2012? Again, your initial UY would be Dec 2011 so you get the same number of points with your purchase. However, you would owe dues starting from Jan 1 so you would pay 364 days worth of dues for 2012. Same number of points as in the first scenario but a lot more dues for the same number of points.

And finally, I have to say something in Chuck's defense because it actually pains me to see someone call one of his posts "snarky". I've read hundreds of his posts on these boards. I worked with him as a co-moderator on the Rent/Trade board for several years. Chuck is a lot of things (knowledgeable, helpful, patient, considerate, hard-working, dedicated and thoughtful come to mind) but I've never known him to be snarky, not ever.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:00 PM   #11
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:

----------
I meant to put this in the DVC purchase forum and I don't know how (or if) I can move it. Sorry Mods.
For any existing resort you should be able to buy up to the last day of the UY and get (and bank) the points bought retail. Otherwise for new resorts you get points the first day of the new UY though you may not be able to access them until a later date in some cases if the "unit" is not available.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: