Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2012, 04:32 PM   #76
meggiebeth
Have faith in your dreams and someday your rainbow will come smiling through...

It does sound harsh to say you don't care if your colleague has had a stroke. That was mean. A stroke is a horrible thing and to say you don't care if someone has one isn't very nice at all.

That said, some people do say these things for attention, and that bugs me to no end. My 'friend' (she is pretty nasty to me) always goes on about how she is severely depressed, and how the French teacher is abusing her (by not giving her the answers but making her work them out herself). She also has her own 'religion' that she goes on about, and says she will become a Buddhist when she is sixteen. It drives me and everyone else crazy and personally I just really dislike attention seekers... Especially when they make things up to get more attention. Somehow I don't think someone could make up a stroke though...

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

$5 A Day Means Disney MY Way! An October TR
~Our 18 day trip to Walt Disney World. Deluxe Dining Plan, Keys to the Kingdom Tour,
MNSSHP, Epcot Food & Wine Festival and MVMCP all in one trip!~

meggiebeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:51 PM   #77
Trek Girl
Mouseketeer

Sometimes, people may not realize they're oversharing. I'm not saying I think the co-worker overshared in this instance, but some people don't have many (or any) friends at work, and/or they may not have anyone else to talk to outside the office, either. So when they get the opportunity for conversation, they jump on it, even if it's with someone they rarely interact with. Just something to consider.
Trek Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-06-2012, 05:21 PM   #78
Indy Denise
Mouseketeer

Oh! The irony of the OP coming here to vent about someone else
"over sharing " .

Methinks the OP overshared when venting..seriously. I usually do not care what someone else thinks, vents, etc here..but this one is very amusing..in a hypocritical, strange way.

Old 12-06-2012, 08:12 PM   #79
furb & dez
City Bear Jamboreers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Denise View Post
Oh! The irony of the OP coming here to vent about someone else
"over sharing " .

Methinks the OP overshared when venting..seriously. I usually do not care what someone else thinks, vents, etc here..but this one is very amusing..in a hypocritical, strange way.

It's not hypocrisy; these boards exist to facilitate oversharing. Work exists for... work.
Our first trip to WDW! Had fun, a bit disappointed in the lack of things to keep us busy. Next trip: eh, 5 years perhaps? Don't understand the psychosis of wasting time trying to meet actors in fursuits or princess costumes, but, wev...
furb & dez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:11 PM   #80
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

I would tend to find the answer given to OP to be tiresome as well. And it's all in the presentation. I could imagine myself zoning out midway through that. OTOH, if he had simply said, "I'm not supposed to drive & need to see about a cab", it would have piqued my interest enough to ask why and then listen. I guess I just enjoy an actual conversation more than being force fed someone's life story against my will - even if we cover the same ground either way
Old 12-06-2012, 10:24 PM   #81
tasha99
DIS Veteran

Oversharing and not being able to understand facial/verbal/social cues could actually be a direct result of having a stroke, especially if it was in the right hemisphere of the brain.
tasha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:32 PM   #82
Rylee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_gordon View Post
Background... One of my coworkers ('A') gets a cab to/from work every day.

The story... A coworker ('B') passes me in the hallway and asks if I've seen 'A'. Me: No, can I help you ('A' and I worked in similar departments and often I can do what he does)?
B: Well, you may know I had some medical issue (he might have said a small stroke) a while back and I'm still not allowed to drive. I have to be in at 6am on 'x' day to fill in for 'C', and my wife is working late the night before and won't be home until 1am. It wouldn't be good for me to ask her to bring me to work, so I wanted to talk to 'A' about the cab company he uses and how much it costs and how reliable they are. Can you tell 'A' I'm looking for him?
Me:uh, sure.

Why are people so willing to share medical issues? I'm sorry, I really don't care. A simple "I need to talk to him about the cab company he uses" would have been just fine.
I was about to share what I thought of this situation, but never mind... I'm sure you don't care.

&

Rylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:39 PM   #83
Andtototoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfd25wife View Post
It sounds a little cold, but then again... I'm from the south.
It sounds a little cold, but then again... I'm from NY.
Andtototoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:09 AM   #84
Indy Denise
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by furb & dez View Post
It's not hypocrisy; these boards exist to facilitate oversharing. Work exists for... work.
Nope! When I am working I am often here! .

Perhaps the Op posts here while working? The OP post time was 10:28 am.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:35 AM   #85
Piggeldy
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerdad72 View Post
On a scale of oversharing, with 10 being a vivid description of one's colonoscopy and 1 being their name, I give this one a 3.
One of my coworkers (a male in his early 60s) is an 11 on your scale. I (a female in my early 30s) really, really, really don't need to hear about his colonoscopies (yes, plural), his colon cancer (in detail), his ostomy bags (my aunt had the same surgery, I never heard any details... and heck, she's my AUNT!), the surgery to close his ostomy, how he has to go to the bathroom at least twice and hour and everything else that I even think is too embarrassing to share with a board where nobody knows me or him or will every get to know one of us.

Giving an explanation of why you need to aks "A" about the cab company (and you are not just too lazy or too posh to take a car) is a max. of 3 on that scale. 1 being "Hi, I am looking for "A", have you seen him?" and 2 being "Can you tell him I am looking for him".

That is how differently people percieve situations
Piggeldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:39 AM   #86
marcgiu
Marcgiu

OP. Maybe your co - worker should have tried to use as little words as possible. Like......

Man who get cab!
You know?
I look for him.

Would that be better?
marcgiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:27 AM   #87
marlynnp
No take backs, bowing out or other weenie manuevers.

So what? We should care that you don't care??? You're not that interesting.

'tis better to remain silent and appear a fool; than to speak and remove all doubt.
marlynnp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:37 AM   #88
U2_rocks!
The DISer formerly known as U2_rocks - member since Oct 2005
I wasn't a "bad girl", but I wasn't little miss perfect either!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo4x4 View Post
I would tend to find the answer given to OP to be tiresome as well. And it's all in the presentation. I could imagine myself zoning out midway through that. OTOH, if he had simply said, "I'm not supposed to drive & need to see about a cab", it would have piqued my interest enough to ask why and then listen. I guess I just enjoy an actual conversation more than being force fed someone's life story against my will - even if we cover the same ground either way
I think this is exactly me.

Honestly, all that details given by "B" wasn't strictly necessary - it was oversharing. There may be good reasons for it, it could just be "B's" personality etc., but that doesn't change the fact that extraneous details were given. The OP obviously wasn't in the mood to listen to an explanation. Maybe they are a "get to the point" person like I am. I am either trying to accomplish something or I am chatting - I am not used to the two getting mixed up. If you are asking me for help then get to the point. We can chat afterwards.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:34 AM   #89
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlynnp View Post

So what? We should care that you don't care??? You're not that interesting.
Yet you bothered to post.

Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
sam_gordon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:46 AM   #90
marcgiu
Marcgiu

I know I should care that you donít care about someone that I think you should care about.
However I donít care that you donít care about us not caring about you not caring about this person.

Itís all about caring (or not)
marcgiu is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: