Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2012, 02:16 PM   #61
Disney Doll
DIS Security Matron

My mother always says:
"Be nice to people. Everyone is fighting some sort of battle".

So I'll be nice to you and say that I am sorry your co-worker annoyed you and I am quite sure that if your co-worker knew you'd be making a disparaging post about them on the DIS, they would have probably avoided you like the plague.
It's time to put on your big girl panties and deal with it!
Don't be so open-minded that your brains fall out.
There's no pill that cures stupid.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
~~In loving memory of Teddy~~1994-2007~~
Disney  Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:30 PM   #62
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

Wow some of you are a bit rough on the OP. Seriously chill. Your telling me every time someone 'over shared' you never once thought in your head "oh my goodness"?

I dont think the OP was being heartless as some of you claim. They're speaking the truth. Im a very good listener but even this annoys me sometimes. Im the type that doesnt do well with long winded stories. You need a ride, tell me so. Dont go into detail about what you had for breakfast this morning. Thats just me, i get to the point.

OP, i can relate. This happened to me this morning. I was out walking my dog and bumped into a man who wanted to pet my golden retriever. We chatted for a bit, which is fine. But then he went on about his personal life and how his parents died, his mom 'spoke' to him once, he's going to Cuba for a month, he has a cold, you name it. All i could think of were ways to make a run for it. It was irritating but it doesnt mean im a bad heartless cold rude mean poor excuse of a human being. I never met this man before but he decided to share personal details with me. Which is fine. But im not gonna say I care or even pretend to care because i really dont give a hoot about him or his life. I dont know him. I didn't say anything rude to him. I dont wish him unhappiness or sickness. I was polite and stood there and listened, then said goodbye when we were done chatting.

Sent from my Galaxy SII

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW

I've been BOO'ED by Forum Jumper!!!
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-06-2012, 02:36 PM   #63
Bob NC
DIS Veteran
I am a trained professional
$7.61
Wilma Flintstone can vacuum my floors with a baby elephant anyday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofyintoronto View Post
OP, i can relate. This happened to me this morning. I was out walking my dog and bumped into a man who wanted to pet my golden retriever. We chatted for a bit, which is fine. But then he went on about his personal life and how his parents died, his mom 'spoke' to him once, he's going to Cuba for a month, he has a cold, you name it. All i could think of were ways to make a run for it. It was irritating but it doesnt mean im a bad heartless cold rude mean poor excuse of a human being. I never met this man before but he decided to share personal details with me. Which is fine. But im not gonna say I care or even pretend to care because i really dont give a hoot about him or his life. I dont know him. I didn't say anything rude to him. I dont wish him unhappiness or sickness. I was polite and stood there and listened, then said goodbye when we were done chatting.

Sent from my Galaxy SII
I'm not sure where the "relating" is. It's complete stranger on the street vs. coworker in the hallway.
Bob NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:49 PM   #64
violetrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMHDad View Post
We live in a society where it is not only the norm, but expected for each other to ask the other 'how are you?' Except, 99/100 times, people only want to hear 'ok' or 'good'.

Fortunately for me, as a pastor, I am in a setting where people are more open, honest, and connected to each other than most places.
Fortunate for the rest of us that there are pastors like you!

violetrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:00 PM   #65
violetrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob NC View Post
I'm not sure where the "relating" is. It's complete stranger on the street vs. coworker in the hallway.
Not to mention the co-worker mentioned he had health problems that would prevent him from driving versus a stranger who had dead people talking to him. Slightly different scenario there.

I like the suggestion that in the future you ask your co-workers (the ones who you don't want any chance of a personal conversation with), "how can I help you with your work-related issue?" - or even if someone starts down the road with you telling you something you don't want to hear, just politely say "that's o.k., I understand and don't need the details". No need to come on the DIS and knock the poor guy for being such an over-sharer when in the future you can cut it off before it even gets to that point.

violetrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:01 PM   #66
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob NC

Ya i figured someone would mention that. But its the same idea. Over sharing and me not giving a hoot. Lol.

I dont think the OP is rude for being honest.

Sent from my Galaxy SII

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW

I've been BOO'ED by Forum Jumper!!!
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:04 PM   #67
willowsnn3
Tagless not by choice but by circumstance

In all honesty, there are days when I don't care.
But on those days I certainly won't ask if there is anything I can help with, lol.
Other days, I'm there for you!

Book Challenge Goal 86/72

willowsnn3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:09 PM   #68
Bob NC
DIS Veteran
$7.61

Quote:
Originally Posted by violetrose View Post

I like the suggestion that in the future you ask your co-workers (the ones who you don't want any chance of a personal conversation with), "how can I help you with your work-related issue?" -.
I agree that would work.

Heck, after a few times you probably wouldn't have to worry about ANY personal conversation at work.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:13 PM   #69
mfd25wife
DIS Veteran

It sounds a little cold, but then again... I'm from the south.
mfd25wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:14 PM   #70
mfd25wife
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I agree that would work.

Heck, after a few times you probably wouldn't have to worry about ANY personal conversation at work.
I thought the same thing
Old 12-06-2012, 03:25 PM   #71
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
So the relationship you have with the person doing the over sharing makes a difference? Can you tell me where the line is so I'll know the next time whether I can be annoyed or not?
Bay Lake Towers, WDW June 1 - June 6, 2011
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
sam_gordon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:42 PM   #72
design_mom
I am probably more like my dad than I care to admit
I hate touching raw meat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_gordon View Post
So the relationship you have with the person doing the over sharing makes a difference? Can you tell me where the line is so I'll know the next time whether I can be annoyed or not?
Um, weren't you the one who said it had to do with the relationship in the first place? See below:

Quote:
Maybe you're more friendly with your coworkers. I do have some that I'm willing to share with and listen to them share. Someone who I simply say "hi" when passing in the hallway... not so much.

I don't expect the majority of coworkers to care about my personal life.
Quote:
There are coworkers who I would have no problem with them sharing this information. To me, it comes down to the relationship you have with someone.
You apparently already know where to draw the line, and your line seems to be a bit different than many other people. For me, based on what you have posted here, I wouldn't have had a problem with it (and I might even do it to someone else.) It doesn't sound like he shared details of his illness/treatment/symptoms with you, nor does it sound like he cornered you into a ten minute conversation. Yeah, he could have been more succinct, but...

The point is that this co-worker didn't make the cut where you'd listen and be polite. (I know some people like that... some of them co-workers, but there's usually a backstory to it and it's an annoyance that built up over time. If this was an isolated incident, it really wouldn't have been a blip on my radar.)
Old 12-06-2012, 03:51 PM   #73
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by design_mom

Um, weren't you the one who said it had to do with the relationship in the first place? See below:
As you point out, I do believe the relationship you have with a person matters. Others seemed to indicate it doesn't.
Quote:
You apparently already know where to draw the line, and your line seems to be a bit different than many other people. For me, based on what you have posted here, I wouldn't have had a problem with it (and I might even do it to someone else.) It doesn't sound like he shared details of his illness/treatment/symptoms with you, nor does it sound like he cornered you into a ten minute conversation. Yeah, he could have been more succinct, but...

The point is that this co-worker didn't make the cut where you'd listen and be polite. (I know some people like that... some of them co-workers, but there's usually a backstory to it and it's an annoyance that built up over time. If this was an isolated incident, it really wouldn't have been a blip on my radar.)
Who said I wasn't polite? I didnt interrupt him, I didn't say "I don't care." I actually did what he asked me to do... tell the other coworker he was looking for him.
Bay Lake Towers, WDW June 1 - June 6, 2011
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
sam_gordon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:52 PM   #74
Bob NC
DIS Veteran
$7.61

Quote:
Originally Posted by design_mom View Post

Thanks
Old 12-06-2012, 03:53 PM   #75
mfd25wife
DIS Veteran

My thought is thati spend 9-10 HR/day with coworkers. I want to have a friendly relationship with them. Of course, some things could be extreme but I don't think this man was.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: