Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2012, 06:19 AM   #1
son3disfan
DIS Veteran

Think Alaska will sell out now?

Anyone think the 2013 Alaska cruises might start selling out now that they are not being offered in 2014?

Our Aug. cruise still has every cat. available ( even secret verandas and secret portholes ) and we are 8 months away..........

DISNEY CRUISES:
Wonder2008/ Magic Eastern2009
Magic Western2010/Wonder Mexican Riviera2011
Magic Eastern2012/ Wonder Alaska2013
son3disfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:29 AM   #2
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

Quote:
Originally Posted by son3disfan View Post
Anyone think the 2013 Alaska cruises might start selling out now that they are not being offered in 2014?

Our Aug. cruise still has every cat. available ( even secret verandas and secret portholes ) and we are 8 months away..........
Summer 2014 cruises haven't been announced for the Magic and Wonder yet. Prospective Alaska cruisers are waiting til they know for sure.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-06-2012, 06:49 AM   #3
son3disfan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdb in AZ View Post
Summer 2014 cruises haven't been announced for the Magic and Wonder yet. Prospective Alaska cruisers are waiting til they know for sure.
Oh! I thought cruises were released up until Aug. ...
I haven't followed the posts too closely....

DISNEY CRUISES:
Wonder2008/ Magic Eastern2009
Magic Western2010/Wonder Mexican Riviera2011
Magic Eastern2012/ Wonder Alaska2013
son3disfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:59 AM   #4
ssanders79
NO FLASH photography means just that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by son3disfan View Post
Oh! I thought cruises were released up until Aug. ...
I haven't followed the posts too closely....

The last bookable cruises are...

Dream - 8/31/14 4-Night Bahamian Cruise (PC)
Fantasy - 8/30/14 7-Night Western Caribbean (PC)
Magic - 5/16/14 3-Night Bahamian Cruise (PC)
Wonder - 4/27/14 5-Night Western Caribbean Cruise (MIA)

ssanders79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:37 AM   #5
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssanders79 View Post
The last bookable cruises are...

Dream - 8/31/14 4-Night Bahamian Cruise (PC)
Fantasy - 8/30/14 7-Night Western Caribbean (PC)
Magic - 5/16/14 3-Night Bahamian Cruise (PC)
Wonder - 4/27/14 5-Night Western Caribbean Cruise (MIA)
Based on those dates, it would be the Wonder that returns to Alaska in 2014 - if DCL goes there.
NancyIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:40 AM   #6
Raspberry Beret
Mouseketeer

I believe DCL will be back in Alaska in 2014. It's one of the few itineraries they have not had to do a lot of discounting. It will probably be the newly refurbished Magic instead of the Wonder. I bet they send the Wonder to Europe for dry dock in 2014 and to sail some Baltic itineraries and maybe some of the Eastern Med itineraries that have sold so well for 2013.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:40 AM   #7
cruisecrasher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyIL

Based on those dates, it would be the Wonder that returns to Alaska in 2014 - if DCL goes there.
Which makes sense given they enclosed portions of the ship to make it better for Alaska. However I thought they were due to get a dry dock that summer. So isn't the med more likely?
Upcoming Trips:

Upcoming Fantasy Cruise!

Upcoming Big Family Reunion Cruise
cruisecrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:50 AM   #8
kcashner
DIS Veteran

My guess is that they will not dry dock during the summer--that's high season. Logically, they will wait and do a dry dock in the fall as that is a time when the prices for a cruise are lower.

And yes, they made more enclosed spaces on the Wonder in preparation for the initial Alaska sailings; logically she would be the ship that would return there (if any!)
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:03 AM   #9
Raspberry Beret
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
My guess is that they will not dry dock during the summer--that's high season. Logically, they will wait and do a dry dock in the fall as that is a time when the prices for a cruise are lower.

And yes, they made more enclosed spaces on the Wonder in preparation for the initial Alaska sailings; logically she would be the ship that would return there (if any!)
But we don't know what will be done during the Magic's dry dock in 2013, changes could include more enclosed spaces like the Wonder.

The extra enclosed spaces on the Wonder would be great for guests cruising the Baltics too.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:07 AM   #10
nhgirl
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspberry Beret View Post
I believe DCL will be back in Alaska in 2014. It's one of the few itineraries they have not had to do a lot of discounting. It will probably be the newly refurbished Magic instead of the Wonder. I bet they send the Wonder to Europe for dry dock in 2014 and to sail some Baltic itineraries and maybe some of the Eastern Med itineraries that have sold so well for 2013.
No No say it isn't so. I want one of the classics to come back to NYC.
nhgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:14 AM   #11
Raspberry Beret
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhgirl View Post
No No say it isn't so. I want one of the classics to come back to NYC.
I'm probably completely off base. I'm just speculating based on rumors from other boards and discussions with FB friends. I have no inside information. But I will say that I believe they will put a ship back in NYC for the summer before they return to Galveston. The summer 8 night NYC cruises sold way better than any of the Texas sailings without the massive discounting we are seeing with Galveston. I've been sailing DCL since 2000 and I have never seen the number of discounts offered and itinerary changes that we have seen with the Galveston cruises.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:16 AM   #12
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisecrasher View Post
Which makes sense given they enclosed portions of the ship to make it better for Alaska. However I thought they were due to get a dry dock that summer. So isn't the med more likely?
Either ship needs about 3 weeks to reposition from Florida to LA and then to Vancouver or Seattle. The Wonder's last known cruise ends May 2 - making it the likely ship to do Alaska cruises. The Magic's last known cruise ends May 19 - making it the likely ship to travel to Europe. (The 2013 Transatlantic departs May 18.)
NancyIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:17 AM   #13
tajz90
Mama D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspberry Beret

I'm probably completely off base. I'm just speculating based on rumors from other boards and discussions with FB friends. I have no inside information. But I will say that I believe they will put a ship back in NYC for the summer before they return to Galveston. The summer 8 night NYC cruise sold way better than any of the Texas sailings without the massive discounting we are seeing with Galveston. I've been sailing DCL since 2000 and I have never seen the number of discounts offered and itinerary changes that we have seen with the Galveston cruises.
Do you think summer vs off season could be the reason?

I'd like to sail from NYC, but would hope for more ports. Sadly, our one NCL ( boo, yuck) cruise spoiled us on a better itinerary on the Canada/New England cruises.
tajz90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:17 AM   #14
deanimal
DIS Veteran

I was hoping the 2014 itinerary announcement would shed some light, but the mystery continues: 2 classic ships, three likely summer destinations (Alaska, Europe, New York.) I guess we'll have to see which ones they think are most profitable. Add in dry dock rumours and anything's possible.

I would hate to see Alaska go. It's the only chance for us left coasters to cruise Disney without the long flights. I was really hoping to book a repositioning cruise on the west coast next spring, but I guess I'll have to keep waiting.
deanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:32 AM   #15
Raspberry Beret
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tajz90 View Post
Do you think summer vs off season could be the reason?

I'd like to sail from NYC, but would hope for more ports. Sadly, our one NCL ( boo, yuck) cruise spoiled us on a better itinerary on the Canada/New England cruises.
I think summer vs off season is a major factor but not the only factor. I think proximity is one too. You have so many people within a few hours drive to NYC from the New England states to the Mid Atlantic states. Cities like Baltimore, Philadephia and DC have commuter trains and buses traveling to NYC almost hourly. Lots of inexpensive flights in and out of the area.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: