Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2012, 01:27 PM   #31
justakrazymom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtotwoteens View Post
Has anyone purchased AP's who have a long drive to Disney? We are around 8 hours away and I'm considering purchasing them. We ALWAYS drive...flying is not an option for our family. I haven't gotten into comparing costs yet, but I will do that before I decide for sure. I need to see how many times we might go and compare free dining vs. room discounts to see if it's worth it. We already have SeaWorld annual passes and they definitely have worked for our family, but of course they are a lot cheaper than Disney World's AP's. Just curious to hear who drives multiple times a year and how far you drive.
If it was only an 8 hour drive I'd have AP's and be there once a month!

homeschooling mom,Disney freak and more
DxL '99, CBR '00, Pop '11
BWI '12,POFQ '12 , PORS '13 ASSp 2015

The SuperFamily vs. Silverware , Felons and The Little Mermaid Sept 2013 TR Incomplete
justakrazymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:31 PM   #32
catherines_mama
DIS Veteran

It's more so based on how many days you'll spend at WDW in that year. If its more than 8 (I think), it is worth it. We live 10hrs away and always drive (family of 5) and have APs that we renew annually. We spend 2 trips a year - 1 long weekend and 1 full week. The kids and I try to go or DH and I try to go solo at least once a yr also
catherines_mama is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-07-2012, 01:33 PM   #33
AlohaAnnie
DIS Veteran

We live in Indiana. We got the DVC PAP but we have had annual passes in the past.

It was cheaper than buying tickets. We are going for 15 days in June this is when we will activate them & then we are going for 7 days spring break 2014. Totally worth it to us!

POR June 2006 POP May/June 2008 CBR Pirate Room & BC May/June 2009 Vero Beach & CSR & AKV Kidani May/June 2010 BLT Oct 2010 BWV March/April 2011 AKV Kidani Dec 2011 BCV/BLT June 2013
WL CL & AKV - Jambo Studio CL March/April2014

June 2013 Dining Report PTR Spring Break 2014
AlohaAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:48 PM   #34
Luvchefmic
DIS Veteran

used to live in NY and had AP pretty much since they first came out With a government job there was a lot of overtime that could be banked as time off so I always came for 2 weeks twice in a calendar year & utilized every possible AP discount On the second tri I always felt smug like the Cheshire Cat feeling surely Mickey was losing money on me
whether I flew or drove still paid off BIG time

A Story of Hope & The Power of Dis<--- THE cake see post # 2000

Luvchefmic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:22 PM   #35
danceintherain
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaybird View Post
24 hour drive for us, and yes, we usually drive. If we go twice in the same calender year, it always more than pays for itself. If we were 8 hours away, you can bet we'd hold an annual pass every single year!!!
Me too! I keep telling my husband that I really want to get stationed in Georgia, not because my sister lives there, but because we could get annual passes and go to Disney regularly.

Quote:
So you can upgrade and still get Free Dining? How does that work?
You can upgrade the tickets that come with Free Dining to Annual Passes. You cannot already have an Annual Pass and get out of buying tickets with Free Dining. You can use unused Free Dining tickets to renew your Annual Pass.

I got an annual pass a few years ago, because my first trip in the year was 10 days, and I had another trip planned. I think I got 17 days of park time out of it.
NEXT TRIP: SoG Dec 28-Jan 4, 2015 ~ POFQ Apr 13-20, 2013 ~ CBR: Nov 7-12, 2010 ~ Doubletree Guest Suites: July 8-14, 2009 ~ AKL: Jan 4-13, 2009 ~ Off-Property: New Year's 2006-2007, Spring Break 2001, Florida Resident 1991
danceintherain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:26 PM   #36
Good Morning Dewdrop
DIS Veteran

We're 10 hours away by car - just a stones throw north of Raleigh. We've gotten APs for 2 years now and LOVE them!
  • AP #3 September 2013 - AS Music; November 2013 - AS Music; January 2014 - AS Music; May 2014 SWW AS Music
    AP #2 January 2013 - AS Music: October 2012 - AS Music; September 2012 - AoA - LM opening day!; April 2012 - AS Sports; January/February 2012 - AS Music
  • AP #1 September 2011 - AS Music; May 2011 - AS Music - D23 Scavenger Hunt - Team "Pixie Dust"!!; February 2011 - AS Music; December 2010 - POFQ; September 2010 - AS Music
  • September 2009 - AS Music & CBR
  • January 2009 - AS Music
  • January 2008 - POP
  • January 2007 - AS Movies

Our new favorite thing to do (between Disney trips) is posting DHs photos on foap - he's under guanojoe (how funny is that?!)
Good Morning Dewdrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:30 AM   #37
momtotwoteens
OIB for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by danceintherain View Post

You can upgrade the tickets that come with Free Dining to Annual Passes. You cannot already have an Annual Pass and get out of buying tickets with Free Dining.
I wasn't thinking I could get out of buying tickets, I was more thinking maybe you paid an extra amount or something if you already had an AP and could get free dining. I get it now. So I guess I should wait and book a trip with free dining and upgrade before we leave to come home. (If we decide to do it...and I hope we do!)
10/99 First trip ever! 12/07! Jan. 30-Feb. 7, 2009 Baby Girl's Sweet 16 trip! Dec. 13-18, 2010 Mom and Dad trip! Dec. 2-8, 2011 Mom and Dad trip take two!, Feb. '12 Friend's trip, Oct. '12 Granddaughter's 1st visit, Jan. '13 1st time staying at WLand first APs ever!, April '13 1st F&G Festival, May '13 SW, DC and the Mouse!, Aug '13 Bday trip at WL, Sept '13 Granddaughter's 2nd trip, Dec '13 Best Friend's Trip

momtotwoteens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:33 AM   #38
momtotwoteens
OIB for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Morning Dewdrop View Post
We're 10 hours away by car - just a stones throw north of Raleigh. We've gotten APs for 2 years now and LOVE them!
I was looking at all the trips you've made! I love it! Do you always drive?
10/99 First trip ever! 12/07! Jan. 30-Feb. 7, 2009 Baby Girl's Sweet 16 trip! Dec. 13-18, 2010 Mom and Dad trip! Dec. 2-8, 2011 Mom and Dad trip take two!, Feb. '12 Friend's trip, Oct. '12 Granddaughter's 1st visit, Jan. '13 1st time staying at WLand first APs ever!, April '13 1st F&G Festival, May '13 SW, DC and the Mouse!, Aug '13 Bday trip at WL, Sept '13 Granddaughter's 2nd trip, Dec '13 Best Friend's Trip

Old 12-08-2012, 11:18 AM   #39
disnut8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
All the responses make me want to go ahead and get them. We're pretty spontaneous. Our last trip (last month) my DH called me at the grocery store at 10:30am, asked me if I wanted to go to SeaWorld (of course I said yes) and we left at noon, got there at 8pm and drove back home the next day. Total 16 hours driving and 19 hours in Orlando. That's how we roll! Lol! Of course we still made a trip to WL to have their yummy chili at The Roaring Fork. Love it.
We've done that a couple of times. We really wanted to see an act at Flower Power or Eat to the Beat concerts so we've left here Friday after work, got to Valdosta, stayed the night, arrived at Disney around noon on Saturday, saw the concerts, stayed the night, drove back Sunday. I called them our Mouse Suicide Runs. Very easy to do that kind of thing with Annual Passes.
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:22 AM   #40
stmize
Dvc member since Nov 2010--WDW mom of ds 17 & dd 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by disnut8

We've done that a couple of times. We really wanted to see an act at Flower Power or Eat to the Beat concerts so we've left here Friday after work, got to Valdosta, stayed the night, arrived at Disney around noon on Saturday, saw the concerts, stayed the night, drove back Sunday. I called them our Mouse Suicide Runs. Very easy to do that kind of thing with Annual Passes.
Wow I'm in north ga. I could so do that.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:13 PM   #41
GaSleepingBeautyFan
DIS Veteran

Me! So far this year I've done a 5 day trip and a 6 day trip. My AP is good through May 1, 2013 so I may see about squeezing in another trip if I can get my husband to chill out about it.

I live 8 hours away and am the only family member with an AP and the only one who loves to go to Disney as much as I can.

I just got back last night from a quick 2 day trip to be there for the New Fantasyland grand opening and get the special pins released at Coronado Springs. I had an amazing time even if I had to drive my husbands uncomfortable car instead of my comfy SUV and can't wait to do something like that again.

For discounts - used my AP for room only discounts on all 3 trips. Used my AP for souvenier discounts. Got the Tables in Wonderland card because I had the AP and used that for discounts at the table service restaurants. It has already paid for itself.

It's been totally worth getting for me.

Connie

WDW: 16 family trips, 8 solo trips - resorts stayed at: offisite(6) AoA, AKL(2), BWI, CR, WL (2), CBR, CSR, POFQ (3), POP (2), POR (5) ASMo, ASMu
DISNEYLAND: 1 family trip, 2 1 day trips chaperoning
US/IOA: 5 family trips
GaSleepingBeautyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:14 PM   #42
stmize
Dvc member since Nov 2010--WDW mom of ds 17 & dd 14

Cool.
Old 12-08-2012, 03:04 PM   #43
LMN
DIS Veteran

We are 18 hours away by car and would totally love to get AP passes. You guys have motivated to looking into how much they cost and how many trips we could possibly make in a years time! Thanks!
Old 12-08-2012, 04:45 PM   #44
pigletto
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Has anyone purchased AP's who have a long drive to Disney? We are around 8 hours away and I'm considering purchasing them. We ALWAYS drive...flying is not an option for our family. I haven't gotten into comparing costs yet, but I will do that before I decide for sure. I need to see how many times we might go and compare free dining vs. room discounts to see if it's worth it. We already have SeaWorld annual passes and they definitely have worked for our family, but of course they are a lot cheaper than Disney World's AP's. Just curious to hear who drives multiple times a year and how far you drive.
We're about a 22 hour drive away
We've only flown so far but because of the cost of flying we take two long trips in a year instead of short ones, and this year it works out to 3 trips.

So 8 days in May, 9 in August, and 9 in February got us 26 days out of our AP's.
It was worth it to us
Old 12-08-2012, 07:56 PM   #45
momtotwoteens
OIB for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaSleepingBeautyFan View Post
Me! So far this year I've done a 5 day trip and a 6 day trip. My AP is good through May 1, 2013 so I may see about squeezing in another trip if I can get my husband to chill out about it.

I live 8 hours away and am the only family member with an AP and the only one who loves to go to Disney as much as I can.

I just got back last night from a quick 2 day trip to be there for the New Fantasyland grand opening and get the special pins released at Coronado Springs. I had an amazing time even if I had to drive my husbands uncomfortable car instead of my comfy SUV and can't wait to do something like that again.

For discounts - used my AP for room only discounts on all 3 trips. Used my AP for souvenier discounts. Got the Tables in Wonderland card because I had the AP and used that for discounts at the table service restaurants. It has already paid for itself.

It's been totally worth getting for me.
I wish I could get brave enough to do a solo trip! I'm jealous!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: