Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2012, 12:23 PM   #16
J3nn78
DIS Veteran

18 hours and we buy APs
Old 12-06-2012, 12:29 PM   #17
GraceMonica
DIS Veteran

15 hours! We'll be making the trek in 20 days and again in march. Four out of 6 of us in my household will be AP holders this year...so we're trying to get a lot of use outta em! If I lived 8 hours away, id probably go more often! Lol!

January 2015 PTR A Disneymoon on the Deluxe Dining Plan? Yes please!

Me: DH:
GraceMonica is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-06-2012, 12:52 PM   #18
LucyBC80
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot

I agree completely.

We live an 8 hour FLIGHT away, out in WA state, and we have had APs, and probably will get them again in Feb. How far away we are doesn't matter at all. It's what our plans are, and what the best option is for our wallet.

NC is a hop, skip, and a jump from WDW compared to where we are, but if the AP works, it works.
ITA I also plan on getting an AP and I live in another country, it's a 9 hour flight for us.

Posted from my iPhone using DISBoards
Old 12-06-2012, 01:02 PM   #19
tigger24601
Earning My Ears

We are just under 4 hours away. years ago we were given the advice of pricing out the cost of an annual pass vs. the price of tickets needed for your trip. Say you're planning a week long trip. You plan to do 5 days in the parks to leave time for travel and you want park hoppers. Price tickets out for that and then look at the annual pass price.

For floridians it was basically "if you're going for at least 3 days you might as well get an annual". At the time, whether you use it again or not you would have paid the same and now you have the option to come back if you want. We have done the week day pass several times now as it's very hard for my husband to take sunday off. On our last pass we made enough trips that it worked out to be $10(ten)/day. That did include several 1 day trips, which are rough, but it was still worth it.

The only other thing to consider is discounts. Having an annual pass cancels your opportunities to take advantage of free dining plan deals and other room/ticket packages. Dining plan doesn't work for us the way we eat when we're at the parks so it's not an issue and we do still get room only discounts. we also use our pass discount and when planning several big trips in the year we get the TIW card.

Basic concept: price it out!
tigger24601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:27 PM   #20
I Love Pluto
DIS Veteran
I guess that makes me a kiddie song expert.

We are 16 to 18 hours away. The money saved on parking (if staying off property) & the money saved on resort discounts is worth the price.
You also get 10% off merchandise in WDW stores.

We LOVE the Annual Pass. I wouldn't do WDW without it.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:32 PM   #21
kaybird
DIS Veteran

24 hour drive for us, and yes, we usually drive. If we go twice in the same calender year, it always more than pays for itself. If we were 8 hours away, you can bet we'd hold an annual pass every single year!!!

kaybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:34 PM   #22
Mickey'sApprentice
Shamelessly demand, it works better
DIS Veteran

8-9 hours for us. We bought APs and used them for 2 or 3 trips. Will buy the special DVC PAPs next week for our now January trip.
Apr '92 Off Property (Honeymoon): Dec '94, Feb '02 CR: Jan '05 WL/POR: Nov '06, Jan '09 HHI: Apr '07: First Trip "Home" to BWV: Jan '08: BWV, Mar '09: POR/BWV: Jan. '10 POR/AKV (Jambo), July '10: POFQ/BCV: Dec '10 AKV (Kidani)/POR:Sep. '11 POR/BWV, Jan '12: POP, Apr '12: POR/BWV, Jan '13: Conference/WL, Jul "13:POR. Dec '13: DOL/BLT, Jul '14: BWV 40th B-day Trip Report

Mickey'sApprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:40 PM   #23
TwoCortWort
A Buckeye Disney Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtotwoteens View Post
Has anyone purchased AP's who have a long drive to Disney? We are around 8 hours away and I'm considering purchasing them. We ALWAYS drive...flying is not an option for our family. I haven't gotten into comparing costs yet, but I will do that before I decide for sure. I need to see how many times we might go and compare free dining vs. room discounts to see if it's worth it. We already have SeaWorld annual passes and they definitely have worked for our family, but of course they are a lot cheaper than Disney World's AP's. Just curious to hear who drives multiple times a year and how far you drive.
I live in North Carolina also and we got an annual pass this past March. We found it cheaper especially since we spend 2 weeks alone at Christmas time. We have been down 5 times already this year and I think you pay it off within 8 trips to the parks. Worth it if you plan to go multiple times a year.

TwoCortWort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:45 PM   #24
auprincess
DIS Veteran

I love this thread ~ really enjoy everyone's responses! I almost wrote one just like it about a month ago. We also live 8 hours away, and I wondered if APs were worth it. Sounds like they are! We won't get them anytime soon. My girls are too young and it is a hard drive, and I know DH isn't ready yet, lol. But when they are old enough that I feel comfortable taking them by myself I think we will definitely get them for our family (not that DH wouldn't come with us, but I would like to do as pp mentioned ~ 51 weeks apart with my husband coming, and then maybe a few long week-ends in between, would love for him to come, but not really his thing).
April 2012 Polynesion
auprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:51 PM   #25
disnut8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtotwoteens View Post
Has anyone purchased AP's who have a long drive to Disney? We are around 8 hours away and I'm considering purchasing them. We ALWAYS drive...flying is not an option for our family. I haven't gotten into comparing costs yet, but I will do that before I decide for sure. I need to see how many times we might go and compare free dining vs. room discounts to see if it's worth it. We already have SeaWorld annual passes and they definitely have worked for our family, but of course they are a lot cheaper than Disney World's AP's. Just curious to hear who drives multiple times a year and how far you drive.
We have annual passes and live about 35 miles northeast of downtown Atlanta. Takes us about 7-1/2 hours for the drive but we usually break it up by leaving after work on a Friday and going to the Florida border, stopping for the night and then continuing the next day.

As far as frequency, we do every three day weekend we can, usually Thanksgiving and every other year, a week for the Food & Wine Festival. We don't do the dining plan for two reasons - (1) we can't eat that much and (2) it takes too much planning and figuring out the credits. So that has never fit into our decision on annual passes.

One thing to consider with annual passes since you always drive - even if you stay offsite, you don't have to pay for parking.
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:27 AM   #26
momtotwoteens
OIB for me!

All the responses make me want to go ahead and get them. We're pretty spontaneous. Our last trip (last month) my DH called me at the grocery store at 10:30am, asked me if I wanted to go to SeaWorld (of course I said yes) and we left at noon, got there at 8pm and drove back home the next day. Total 16 hours driving and 19 hours in Orlando. That's how we roll! Lol! Of course we still made a trip to WL to have their yummy chili at The Roaring Fork. Love it.
10/99 First trip ever! 12/07! Jan. 30-Feb. 7, 2009 Baby Girl's Sweet 16 trip! Dec. 13-18, 2010 Mom and Dad trip! Dec. 2-8, 2011 Mom and Dad trip take two!, Feb. '12 Friend's trip, Oct. '12 Granddaughter's 1st visit, Jan. '13 1st time staying at WLand first APs ever!, April '13 1st F&G Festival, May '13 SW, DC and the Mouse!, Aug '13 Bday trip at WL, Sept '13 Granddaughter's 2nd trip, Dec '13 Best Friend's Trip

momtotwoteens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:31 AM   #27
momtotwoteens
OIB for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HM View Post

Our trip in March was Free Dining and we upgraded our tickets.
So you can upgrade and still get Free Dining? How does that work?
10/99 First trip ever! 12/07! Jan. 30-Feb. 7, 2009 Baby Girl's Sweet 16 trip! Dec. 13-18, 2010 Mom and Dad trip! Dec. 2-8, 2011 Mom and Dad trip take two!, Feb. '12 Friend's trip, Oct. '12 Granddaughter's 1st visit, Jan. '13 1st time staying at WLand first APs ever!, April '13 1st F&G Festival, May '13 SW, DC and the Mouse!, Aug '13 Bday trip at WL, Sept '13 Granddaughter's 2nd trip, Dec '13 Best Friend's Trip

momtotwoteens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:44 AM   #28
Tinkh
DIS Veteran

16 hours give or take and we have APs for the third time
Old 12-07-2012, 11:55 AM   #29
CarolineB
DIS Veteran

Annual Pass

I bought APs when I lived in Houston, TX and drove 3 times for 4 day trips each time about 5 years ago. It seemed to be cheaper than buying tickets each time and I saved the parking fees (like PP mentioned.)

Even if you're only making one trip, APs are sometimes worth it -- my SIL bought APs when she brought her kids since they stayed enough days to make it worth it.
CarolineB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:09 PM   #30
RachaelA
DIS Veteran

17 hour drive and we have PAPs.

Don't forget you get a 20% discount on most merchandise with Premium Passes and a 10% with regular APs.

Aug 2005 1st Trip Offsite-Jan 2008 Pop-June 2009 AKL CL *Disneymoon!*-May 2010 AKL CL *1st Anniversary*-Dec 2010 Pop - October 2012- First birthday trip and first trip home to BLT! - May 2013- AKV Upcoming Trip: October 2014- BLT *1st and 3rd birthday trip!*
RachaelA is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: