Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2012, 04:20 PM   #1
Aurora63
I do look ravishing, don't I?
I had several frog incidents growing up

Smile What are your best beauty treatments from everyday ingredients?

Looking for the cheap, easy, and affordable. I always hear about people using things from their pantry as beauty products, i.e., honey as a mask, olive oil to moisturize, etc. Some people even have recipes to concoct different treatments. Does anyone here have an amazing treatment they're willing to share?

And what have you tried that works, or doesn't? As I type this, I'm sitting here with olive oil in my hair, to see if it makes a difference as far as the frizzies go. About to go wash and condition. I'll let you know!

Or, even share your most favorite inexpensive products that really work!

I'm convinced their must be another route than going bankrupt to look good!! Besides going to frumpy town! Kidding aside lets share the best of the best!

Aurora63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:18 PM   #2
Pembo
OH-IO

I use baking soda mixed with my regular shampoo as a clarifier. It works great. I wash my hair with the mixture, rinse, wash again with just shampoo, rinse and use conditioner. Soft hair remains...
Register to remove

Old 12-03-2012, 08:12 PM   #3
furb & dez
City Bear Jamboreers

Cheapest beauty treatment: drink more water. You'll be healthier, your skin will be in better shape, you'll be less hungry, and best of all it's nearly free.
Our first trip to WDW! Had fun, a bit disappointed in the lack of things to keep us busy. Next trip: eh, 5 years perhaps? Don't understand the psychosis of wasting time trying to meet actors in fursuits or princess costumes, but, wev...
furb & dez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:54 AM   #4
KimR
DIS Veteran
Needs to lay off the Murder Mysteries before Dental Appointments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pembo View Post
I use baking soda mixed with my regular shampoo as a clarifier. It works great. I wash my hair with the mixture, rinse, wash again with just shampoo, rinse and use conditioner. Soft hair remains...
I do that once in a while too - it works great!

Also, years ago I used to use a mixture of plain yogurt and lemon juice on my face at night as an exfoliant.

2000 - GF; 2000 - BC; 03 - GF; 04 - YC; 05 - GF; 06, 07 - YC; 08 - GF; 09, 10 - YC; 12 - YC

Just the basics:
Are two-year-olds too young to go to Disney? It depends upon their temperament. One way to find out: take them there. After all, they're only young for a short time. You're sure to enjoy your trip if you plan ahead! AND - don't forget those all-important dining reservations; they fill up so fast it's ridiculous. Have I forgotten anything? Oh yes - I'd advise you to carry a small purse or bag for loose items so you don't lose them on rides. You'll have a great vacation if you follow my advice!
KimR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:50 AM   #5
Piper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pembo View Post
I only use baking soda and water instead of shampoo. I have soft clean hair. I rinse in vinegar and water and it is very shiny.

My lip balm is made of beeswax, coconut oil and shea butter--only takes a little of each and makes a lot (I buy empty tubes--50 for less than $10. A batch only costs pennies.

I also make my lotion. It has emulsifying wax, coconut oil and water--I put it in an old lotion bottle I washed really well. (less than a dollar for 14 oz.)

I only wash my face with warm water. I use the lotion on face, hands, anywhere.

Since I have been doing these things, I have no more breakouts and my skin is smoother and pores less noticeable. (I am almost 68 years old and wish I had done this years ago!

I make my own laundry soap, dish washing soap, and the rinse for both is vinegar. I clean the toilets with vinegar and baking soda--works really well. Vinegar and water make a great solution for cleaning floors and makes my stainless steel sink shine as well as my granite counters and black appliances. Olive oil or lemon oil are great for polishing furniture--be sure to wipe well. All this is not expensive--much cheaper than commercial products and better for the environment and my health! And each of the products only takes minutes to prepare.

I have actually taken in one step further and use cloth napkins, handkerchiefs, and "flour sack" dishtowels instead of paper products. I even made cloth wipes for toilet use (still paper for "messes") I wash one medium load a week (using my own washer powder.) If I didn't live in an apartment, I would hang them out to dry--but I can't. I am looking at getting a drying rack to use inside or on my patio.
Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:52 PM   #6
Aurora63

All of these sound very inspiring. I used to try cleaning with vinegar when I was married, exDH hated the smell so I gave it up. Maybe I'll try again.

Btw-olive oil in the hair- seems to have worked nicely! My hair is much smoother today than normal. I'll have to try the baking soda/vinegar as well.

Any others out there?

Old 12-04-2012, 08:21 PM   #7
mamacatnv
I am the queen of straw!
Almost anything can be fixed with pasta
Do my DH's "Shorty Shorts" count?
I go in search of code!

I love white vinegar but have never used it on my person other than sunburn and wasp stings but I use it to clean, in laundry, deodorize furniture and mattresses etc.

I use Milk of Magnesia under my foundation. I have really oily skin and this helps to control the shinies throughout the day. I learned the trick here on the Dis. On a freshly washed face, use a foam sponge to lightly blot on face, do not heavily coat, just a light blot will control oil all day. Let dry, apply makeup. I buy the generic brand and a bottle lasts me months
POFQ-1/1-1/9/07, ASMu-Dec 05/Jan 06 ASSp-Dec 99/Jan 00 Turn of the Century
Thanks AidensMom
mamacatnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:29 PM   #8
Peaseblossom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper View Post
I only use baking soda and water instead of shampoo.
Baking soda is also great mixed with toothpaste to whiten your teeth (fight stains from coffee, red wine, blueberries) and also for a 10-cent micro-dermabrasion treatment. Just make into a paste with water or mix with a cleanser and voila, skin like a baby's bottom. Just go easy if you have sensitive skin.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:36 PM   #9
Lintasare
Holy
Hello. My name is Inigo Peeptoya...you ate my father...prepare to die
Ok fess up...who killed the riddle?

Table sugar mixed with a very light oil like sunflower oil is great in the shower as an exfoliator and moisterizer.

Lintasare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:00 PM   #10
kwelch10377
DIS Veteran

My lips can get really dry and flakey during the winter. I made an exfoliant out of honey, sugar, lemon and olive oil and it works get. My lips were SUPER dry and flakey when I got up on Sunday, on Sunday afternoon and Sunday night I used this mixture and by Monday morning they were softer than a baby's bottom.
kwelch10377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:06 PM   #11
keltiesmom
Mouseketeer

I use coconut oil for everything. It's the only moisturizer I use on my body and face, lips. It's great in hair, great to cook with. A tub will last me about a year if its not for cooking.
keltiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:06 PM   #12
mjantz
DIS Veteran

Saw this on Pinterest, tried it & it worked really well. Dawn Hand Renewal dish soap mixed with plain white sugar. Makes a great sugar scrub for your hands & body (I think it would be too rough for your face) & very cheap.
mjantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:34 PM   #13
Aurora63

THe olive oil in the hair seems to be working well!! My hair was very shiny and well behaved this week. I'm trying it again now, this time I heated it up.

Old 12-06-2012, 07:55 PM   #14
WDWBarb
It was, in fact, *I* who was sounding like a loose fan belt
I need to put some distance between my coffee, my mouth and my monitor

I do a lot of homemade "beauty" stuff.

Apple Cider vinegar as a conditioner. It smells horrible but you can't smell it when your hair is dry. I do this on Saturdays because I don't want to risk getting caught in the rain and smelling like a salad.

Hydrogen Peroxide as a mouthwash - whitens teeth. Swish around for a minute or two before brushing. Do not swallow!

Coconut Oil for a deep treatment for my hair. I also use it around my lips and my eyes to moisturize. Never anywhere else on my skin because it makes me break out.

Honey/Coconut Oil/Brown Sugar mix to exfoliate the face. Nice!!!

Vitamin E mixed with Vit C crystals is a GREAT face mask. Exfoliates and puts vitamins directly in the skin. Love this one.

Baking soda as a general light exfoliant.

I have more... these are just my favorites.
WDWBarb is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: