Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES! > disABILITIES Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2012, 01:41 AM   #1
Paula Sedley-Burke
Proud to believe in Rainbows and Unicorns...

Stair lift at home ( live in the UK)

I know this is not a WDW specific question but you guys are so helpful I dont know who else to ask. Since going to WDW at least once a year with progressive arthritis I realise having no stairs ( elevators ) a roll in shower etc in our DVC resort makes my life so much easier. I have stairs at home and we will move to a one story building eventually but in the meantime I was thinking of having a stair lift installed. Has anyone had one if so any tips? Tia I am 41 and quite lightweight, our staircase in very easy in one straight line. I understand ideal for a standard fit.
Dixie Landings 2000, Port Orleans 08, SSR 09, SSR 10, SSR 11, Disney Dream 2011, SSR 12, Disney Dream 2012 , AKL 13, SSR 13 , VWL 13, Disney Dream 2013, POR 2014, SSR 14, AKV 14, BCV 14, , Disney Dream 2014, VGF 14, AoA 15, Disney Magic 15, SSR 14, VGF 14

May 2014 Pre trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3236860

( Me ) , (DW)

Paula
Paula Sedley-Burke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:03 AM   #2
bidnow5
DIS Veteran

Not sure about the UK but here in the US there are always several listed on Craigs list at a fraction of the original cost. I know several of the big manufacturers units work great a little slow but much better then the pain

bidnow5 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-11-2012, 02:05 AM   #3
Paula Sedley-Burke

Quote:
Originally Posted by bidnow5
Not sure about the UK but here in the US there are always several listed on Craigs list at a fraction of the original cost. I know several of the big manufacturers units work great a little slow but much better then the pain
Thank you! Yes must be better than the pain in knees!
Dixie Landings 2000, Port Orleans 08, SSR 09, SSR 10, SSR 11, Disney Dream 2011, SSR 12, Disney Dream 2012 , AKL 13, SSR 13 , VWL 13, Disney Dream 2013, POR 2014, SSR 14, AKV 14, BCV 14, , Disney Dream 2014, VGF 14, AoA 15, Disney Magic 15, SSR 14, VGF 14

( Me ) , (DW)

Paula
Old 12-11-2012, 07:02 AM   #4
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

We have one and really love it.
Our house is ground level on the front, but the back has the basement exposed. Using the chair lift, DD can get downstairs to go outside in the backyard, watch TV, etc.

We dealt with an authorized dealer, who arranged for the installation. In our area, that was necessary. We had to get a building permit to have it installed and it had to be inspected and get an approval document before first use. That was a requirement in our area because they had apparently run into some that were incorrectly ( and dangerously) installed in the past.

I am going to move this to the disABILITIES Community Board where it will be on topic.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:09 AM   #5
Paula Sedley-Burke

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueM in MN
We have one and really love it.
Our house is ground level on the front, but the back has the basement exposed. Using the chair lift, DD can get downstairs to go outside in the backyard, watch TV, etc.

We dealt with an authorized dealer, who arranged for the installation. In our area, that was necessary. We had to get a building permit to have it installed and it had to be inspected and get an approval document before first use. That was a requirement in our area because they had apparently run into some that were incorrectly ( and dangerously) installed in the past.

I am going to move this to the disABILITIES Community Board where it will be on topic.
Thank you for your reply. Does the stair lift enable you to take an item with you to carry whilst seated to carry up or down the stairs please? Glad your DD finds it useful must give her a whole new lease of life.

( Me ) , (DW)

Paula
Old 12-11-2012, 07:23 AM   #6
SueM in MN

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula Sedley-Burke View Post
Thank you for your reply. Does the stair lift enable you to take an item with you to carry whilst seated to carry up or down the stairs please? Glad your DD finds it useful must give her a whole new lease of life.
It is operated with one hand or a remote control, so someone could carry something down in their lp.

Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
Old 12-11-2012, 07:25 AM   #7
Paula Sedley-Burke

Quote:

It is operated with one hand or a remote control, so someone could carry something down in their lp.
Great thanks! Good news re remote control :-)

( Me ) , (DW)

Paula
Old 12-11-2012, 07:50 AM   #8
SueM in MN

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula Sedley-Burke View Post
Great thanks! Good news re remote control :-)
Not sure that all have a remote. Ours came with it, it wasn't an option.

Old 12-11-2012, 08:16 AM   #9
Paula Sedley-Burke

Quote:
Not sure that all have a remote. Ours came with it, it wasn't an option.
I like the idea of the remote so will be sure to ask thank you! I had not considered that before. You have been most helpful.

( Me ) , (DW)

Paula
Old 12-11-2012, 10:11 AM   #10
WheeledTraveler
DIS Veteran

I'm not in the UK, but have many disabled friends who are and am in some UK-based disability message boards or other groups. My advice is based on what I know of how UK stuff works and I do know some things are changing (so may not be as available now) due to all the cuts Cameron has pushed through.

If you have a social worker, you might want to ask for a social services evaluation by an OT. If you don't have a social worker, you still might do well to call up and see about getting one and asking for an evaluation. That would not only look at the stairlift, but the OT might be able to suggest other equipment or adaptions for the house that would make your life easier! Depending on income and savings, you may be able to get some things provided through your local Council or grants to fund putting things in.

Also, there are Centres for Independent Living around the UK. If you can find your local one, they may have info about companies that other people in your area have had luck with when it comes to stairlifts.

If you want, I can PM you the site for another message board that may have more info. The majority of users are in the UK and most are very well informed about what's out there in terms of equipment and advice/help. (Most people on that board originally met on a BBC message board that got shut down and someone opened up a different message board to replace the BBC one.)
WheeledTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:20 AM   #11
Paula Sedley-Burke

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheeledTraveler
I'm not in the UK, but have many disabled friends who are and am in some UK-based disability message boards or other groups. My advice is based on what I know of how UK stuff works and I do know some things are changing (so may not be as available now) due to all the cuts Cameron has pushed through.

If you have a social worker, you might want to ask for a social services evaluation by an OT. If you don't have a social worker, you still might do well to call up and see about getting one and asking for an evaluation. That would not only look at the stairlift, but the OT might be able to suggest other equipment or adaptions for the house that would make your life easier! Depending on income and savings, you may be able to get some things provided through your local Council or grants to fund putting things in.

Also, there are Centres for Independent Living around the UK. If you can find your local one, they may have info about companies that other people in your area have had luck with when it comes to stairlifts.

If you want, I can PM you the site for another message board that may have more info. The majority of users are in the UK and most are very well informed about what's out there in terms of equipment and advice/help. (Most people on that board originally met on a BBC message board that got shut down and someone opened up a different message board to replace the BBC one.)
How helpful thank you so much. Yes please if you could pm me the other message board that would be great. Being new to my disability I need all the advise I can get! Thanks again. Btw yes mmmmm re Cameron....

( Me ) , (DW)

Paula

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: