Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2012, 01:16 PM   #1
Here4mydisneyfix
Andrew Sutton, you genious man, you! She will remember the Rose forever...

HELP! Disneyworld Newbie here!! :D

Hey everyone! Well, the hubs and I just booked and paid for a surprise and VERY unexpected trip to Disney World in exactly two months (first week of February)! Being the Disney freak I am, I'm BEYOND thrilled, yet also feeling very overwhelmed! We are Disneyland veterans. I've been going there since I was teeny, I've got that all figured out. Disney World, however, totally different story! I've never been and neither has the hubs. The clincher is that we have ONE day for the parks (the rest of our trip is reserved for a beach resort further down the coast), and there are quite a few things we really want to see. The good part is that we will have no kids with us, so no long, frequent potty breaks or strollers, and we are also staying onsite at the Coronado Springs Resort. I have read that although there is no way we could possibly do every single thing there is to do in one day, it is still entirely possible to get to do a bit at each park in one day. The thing that freaks me out is the transportation! YIKES! Nothing like that at Disneyland at all. We walk everywhere there! lol I guess what I want to know is, considering we only have one day, is it better to take the provided transportation to and from each park, or would it be better/quicker to drive our rental car to each park? Do you have to pay each time you go to a different park, or do you pay one time for the day to park anywhere?? If the provided transportation is just fine, which is the quickest method? I have read that the first week of Feb is an optimum time to go for really low crowds, however, is that still the case this year since the new Fantasyland just opened?? Also, we are interested in finding out what you think are the very best places to eat in Epcot. There are SO many amazing looking choices! I need experienced opinions please!! Thanks in advance for your help everyone!
Here4mydisneyfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:26 PM   #2
disneyworld1977
Mouseketeer

I have never went to WDW and done it in one day. But if you are a rental car imo would be faster than waiting on buses/monorails. If you are staying onsite, I believe parking is free, someone correct me if I am wrong. We have always used Disney Transportation so I am not 100% on that right now.
*DL* Offsite - 2000, 2003, 2005, 2011, SEPT 2013!! *WDW* Offsite - 80's , 90's ** POP CENTURY - 2004, 2009 ** CORONADO SPRINGS - 2008 ** PORT ORLEANS (Riverside) - 2011 ** ALL STAR MOVIES - 2012 ** FT. WILDERNESS CABINS DEC 2013
ME DW
disneyworld1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-04-2012, 01:26 PM   #3
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Here4mydisneyfix
Hey everyone! Well, the hubs and I just booked and paid for a surprise and VERY unexpected trip to Disney World in exactly two months (first week of February)! Being the Disney freak I am, I'm BEYOND thrilled, yet also feeling very overwhelmed! We are Disneyland veterans. I've been going there since I was teeny, I've got that all figured out. Disney World, however, totally different story! I've never been and neither has the hubs. The clincher is that we have ONE day for the parks (the rest of our trip is reserved for a beach resort further down the coast), and there are quite a few things we really want to see. The good part is that we will have no kids with us, so no long, frequent potty breaks or strollers, and we are also staying onsite at the Coronado Springs Resort. I have read that although there is no way we could possibly do every single thing there is to do in one day, it is still entirely possible to get to do a bit at each park in one day. The thing that freaks me out is the transportation! YIKES! Nothing like that at Disneyland at all. We walk everywhere there! lol I guess what I want to know is, considering we only have one day, is it better to take the provided transportation to and from each park, or would it be better/quicker to drive our rental car to each park? Do you have to pay each time you go to a different park, or do you pay one time for the day to park anywhere?? If the provided transportation is just fine, which is the quickest method? I have read that the first week of Feb is an optimum time to go for really low crowds, however, is that still the case this year since the new Fantasyland just opened?? Also, we are interested in finding out what you think are the very best places to eat in Epcot. There are SO many amazing looking choices! I need experienced opinions please!! Thanks in advance for your help everyone!
I hope you're not entertaining the idea of hitting all the parks in just one day. Even for a DL vet, I would not suggest attempting more than two on your first trip to WDW.
Mesaboy's DLR Trip Report -- The Quest To See Dumbo Fly

FastPass+ Basic Information, Attraction List, and Suggested Priorities
MyMagic & FastPass+ Official Information & FAQ (courtesy andyman8)
Magic Bands 101 (courtesy MouseMomx2)
mesaboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:31 PM   #4
Here4mydisneyfix

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaboy2 View Post
I hope you're not entertaining the idea of hitting all the parks in just one day. Even for a DL vet, I would not suggest attempting more than two on your first trip to WDW.
Thanks...yea, I know we probably sounds pretty nutty! HA! I just got finished reading a blog where someone talked about how they did all the parks in one day. Yes, they only saw a few things at each place, but that is really all we are looking to do too. We did decide though that we don't have to go crazy. If it seems too overwhelming after a while, we'll just slow down and do whatever we feel like.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:33 PM   #5
Here4mydisneyfix

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyworld1977 View Post
I have never went to WDW and done it in one day. But if you are a rental car imo would be faster than waiting on buses/monorails. If you are staying onsite, I believe parking is free, someone correct me if I am wrong. We have always used Disney Transportation so I am not 100% on that right now.
Okay, thank you. After reading about how long the busses can potentially take, I was also thinking that the car might be a much better choice. So you are thinking that since we are staying onsite that each parks parking might be free too?? I'd be very interested to find out if that is actually correct! Anyone know?
Old 12-04-2012, 01:37 PM   #6
tinkerbelletreasure
Mouseketeer

Yes, if you are staying on site it will be free to park at all of the parks.

If you are going to try to do all the parks in one day I would make a very detailed touring plan of what you want to do each place. Even just hitting the highlights, you'll miss out on a lot.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:38 PM   #7
rndmr2
DIS Veteran

Parking is free if you are staying onsite. I would definitely recommend driving your own car for what you are planning. Keep in mind that the parks in WDW are MUCH bigger than in Disneyland so it will be difficult to do more than a couple things at each park if you are set on doing all 4.

8/1985--Days Inn Sand Lake Rd, 8/1987-- Wilson World, 12/1987-- Contemporary, 8/1989-- Caribbean Beach, 12/1989-- Port Orleans (now POFQ), 7/1990-- Caribbean Beach, 6/1991-- Carribbean Beach (Senior Week!), 8/1992-- Port Orleans (Now POFQ), 9/1995--All Star Music, August 1998-- Dixie Landings -Alligator Bayou (now PO Riverside), 7/1999-- All Star Movies, 11/2004-- Pop Century, 5/2010 POR Magnolia Bend, 5/2011 Saratoga Springs Resort
rndmr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:39 PM   #8
jenben8426
Mouseketeer

If you stay onsite, parking is free!
jenben8426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:43 PM   #9
Here4mydisneyfix

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbelletreasure View Post
Yes, if you are staying on site it will be free to park at all of the parks.

If you are going to try to do all the parks in one day I would make a very detailed touring plan of what you want to do each place. Even just hitting the highlights, you'll miss out on a lot.
Thank you! That is a great suggestion! We actually just did our touring plan with the maps last night! LOL We do plan on coming back for at least a week in the future to slowly take it ALL in, but our kids are little right now, and a plane ride from Seattle to Orlando is a no-go for them for right now. So for now, we are just going to do the things we really want to at each place. Really there are only a few rides at each park, so I think it's probably do-able!
Old 12-04-2012, 01:44 PM   #10
Here4mydisneyfix

Quote:
Originally Posted by rndmr2 View Post
Parking is free if you are staying onsite. I would definitely recommend driving your own car for what you are planning. Keep in mind that the parks in WDW are MUCH bigger than in Disneyland so it will be difficult to do more than a couple things at each park if you are set on doing all 4.
Thanks everyone for confirming the free parking! That is excellent news! And yes, I figured the parks are much bigger than the land! lol Perhaps we are setting ourselves up for a crazy exhausting day...but FUN!!! :D
Old 12-04-2012, 01:47 PM   #11
Here4mydisneyfix

So what are you all thinking crowd levels might be like on the first Monday in February...or because of the new FL, is it like Disneyland with the brand new CL, and nobody can really know for sure/most days=CRAZY busy??
Old 12-04-2012, 01:50 PM   #12
DanInMN
Mouseketeer

Seeing DW in a day is like seeing Europe in a day (well, not really), the place is HUGE. We never get Park Hopper passes because too much time is wasted going from one park to another.

IMHO, a beach vacation in Florida may not be a good thing... the beaches are backed by wall to wall condos, the sand is more like crunchy broken seashells. The beach goers tend to be 75 years old, overweight, and wearing too small a swimsuit - not a pretty sight. If you really are a Disney fanatic, consider shortening the beach vacation to a day and spend the rest of your time at Disney!

For a one day stay I'd just pick one park and enjoy it. YMMV
DanInMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:54 PM   #13
Luvchefmic
DIS Veteran

Smile one more bit of info for you....

you have picked one of the nicest resorts on property

A Story of Hope & The Power of Dis<--- THE cake see post # 2000

Luvchefmic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:57 PM   #14
brea
Mouseketeer

There's a lot that's going to play into this for your. I would recommend looking at the following

1. Morning and evening extra magic hours for the day and take advantage if possible
2. Eat breakfast at a monorail resort to take that part of it in and ride the monorail over to MK. Lunch is just as good if using the EMH at another park in the morning
3. Eat a Le Cellier in Epcot. Just doesn't get better in my opinion

Some things to consider in your timing

- FP times for rides that run out daily
- Possibly having lunch or dinner if you can get a ressie at the Be our Guest rest
- Good maps to know how to get between the parks as quickly as possible

I think you're crazy for trying to hit all the parks in one day but if you're going to make it you'll need a strong plan.
brea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:00 PM   #15
Here4mydisneyfix

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanInMN View Post
Seeing DW in a day is like seeing Europe in a day (well, not really), the place is HUGE. We never get Park Hopper passes because too much time is wasted going from one park to another.
HA! That is EXACTLY what I said to my husband. We definitely aren't planning to get parkhoppers next time we come with the kids because I know there is more than enough to do at each park for the whole day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanInMN View Post
IMHO, a beach vacation in Florida may not be a good thing... the beaches are backed by wall to wall condos, the sand is more like crunchy broken seashells. The beach goers tend to be 75 years old, overweight, and wearing too small a swimsuit - not a pretty sight. If you really are a Disney fanatic, consider shortening the beach vacation to a day and spend the rest of your time at Disney!
Yikes! lol Thank you for the lovely mental picture there! We actually can't stay any longer at disney, unfortunately....We bought a groupon for our beach stay. Although I would prefer the whole trip to be at dis, the hubs can only take theme parks in small quantities, so I only get one day this time. sigh....in his defence though, he did JUST take me on a week long Disneyland trip 2 months ago, so this trip is more for him. He LOVES the beach, so that is why we are doing the beach stay. We are staying over on Longboat Key though, and we read it is much better/prettier/more deserted and with soft sand there than on the other coast. Is this true? anyone visit the area over there recently? I guess it's Sarasota-ish area??

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: