Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2012, 07:15 PM   #1
dreamin_disney
DIS Veteran

Christmas Cards

How many of you still send out Christmas cards??? I usually buy nice ones on clearance. Last year I bought 2 boxes. I've been so busy that I havent had a chance to writem them out. I usually mail them out but if I do get to it I might just hand them out. Majority of family and friends I send cards to dont send out xmas cards so I'm wondering if they enjoy recieving them or if its just more clutter.

Just curious how many of you send out Christmas cards?
-do you send to everyone or just those that also send out xmas cards?

same thing with co-workers do you give cards to everyone or just the ones you deal with more. I have several co workers but the 2 on my team I give a card and gift.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:33 PM   #2
LJSquishy
DIS Veteran

I send out about 20 cards every year. I only receive maybe 12 cards on a good year, 6-8 on average. I absolutely love receiving cards so I assume others do also. I display all of the ones I receive until New Year's Day.

I am usually the first one to send them out (I try and mail them the day after Thanksgiving). So far, as of Dec 5th, I have only received 1 Christmas card. I feel like after Dec 10th or so it is too late to send them out...just for me, personally. I know a lot of folks don't send them out until a couple of days before Christmas.

Me-30: -&- DH-34:
LJSquishy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-05-2012, 07:53 PM   #3
BMWTeamLeader
Earning My Ears

My dad always give the US Postal Service a very Merry Christmas....1400 cards this year...no Xeroxing...No technology...all by hand....starts in late October.

He taught school for 29 years, and has worked in long term health care for over 20.

He has kept in touch with the majority of his former students and their families, and likewise with the patients he has taken of plus their families. He is also very involved in many church organizations.

August 2015: AoA Lion King Suite Me DW DD12
April 2007: ASMo (Fantasia), WDW Swan, FW Campground Me DD5
March 2000: AsMo (101 Dalmations) Me DGf
BMWTeamLeader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:16 PM   #4
Kathi OD
The first person to reply on any thread needs to quote the OP. That way when someone does the nevermind we know what was thereRedhead
Guess what - Doesn't like the cheese soup

I still send them out...this year more than the past couple. Personally, I think it's a nice gesture and I don't get upset if someone doesn't send me one back.

"The task of the modern educator is not to cut down jungles, but to irrigate deserts." -- C. S. Lewis
Kathi OD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:22 PM   #5
jlewisinsyr
DIS Veteran

Still send them out, we buy some really nice decorated cards and people always comment on them when we see them at parties, etc.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:30 AM   #6
dreamin_disney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJSquishy View Post
I send out about 20 cards every year. I only receive maybe 12 cards on a good year, 6-8 on average. I absolutely love receiving cards so I assume others do also. I display all of the ones I receive until New Year's Day.

I am usually the first one to send them out (I try and mail them the day after Thanksgiving). So far, as of Dec 5th, I have only received 1 Christmas card. I feel like after Dec 10th or so it is too late to send them out...just for me, personally. I know a lot of folks don't send them out until a couple of days before Christmas.
I just wrote 4 cards to mailout tomorrow(out of state). I will finish the rest another day(in state). I love getting cards and also display them. I usually buy nice ones on clearance that usually cost $12-$15 reg price. No one ever says anything or thank you i got your card so wasnt sure if others dont get as excited as I do-lol!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWTeamLeader View Post
My dad always give the US Postal Service a very Merry Christmas....1400 cards this year...no Xeroxing...No technology...all by hand....starts in late October.

He taught school for 29 years, and has worked in long term health care for over 20.

He has kept in touch with the majority of his former students and their families, and likewise with the patients he has taken of plus their families. He is also very involved in many church organizations.
Thats awesome and very special

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathi OD View Post
I still send them out...this year more than the past couple. Personally, I think it's a nice gesture and I don't get upset if someone doesn't send me one back.
I dont get upset if I dont get one back, I'm just more curious if people like getting them or dont care. Someone posted on FB about how things have changed and is it the norm for people to nolonger send thank you cards for gifts that were recieved. This person also asked if writing hand written letters is a thing of the past. It got me thinking.
I enjoy shopping for cards to send out. I actually have 4 packs of Christmas cards-lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlewisinsyr View Post
Still send them out, we buy some really nice decorated cards and people always comment on them when we see them at parties, etc.
no one mentioned even receiving the cards and I do send out nice ones. Dh's aunt is special needs and she has hers written out and ready to hand deliver. I love seeing her get so excited to hand her cards out

I've received 2 cards so far and I will be getting another one when I see dh's aunt this weekend. Next year my goal is to have all cards mailed out by Thanksgiving weekend or hand delivered by Dec 1st-4th
Old 12-06-2012, 06:37 AM   #7
Maria1985
Mouseketeer

I send out about 30 cards every year. I would also like to receive Christmas cards
Old 12-06-2012, 06:41 AM   #8
MIGrandma
A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she's in hot water~Eleanor Roosevelt
I have a toilet problem
33 people looked, and not one followed the rule!

I still send Christmas cards, about 30. The list has dwindled over the years, some people have died, others we just lose contact with, etc. I enjoy receiving cards back, but if someone doesn't send one after two years I usually drop them from my sending list. The exceptions are the elderly, I still send to them even if they don't send cards back.

As for co-workers, when I did work I gave cards just to people I worked with the most, and a few of the cooks and dishwashers but I didn't give cards to everyone. Everyone else seemed to do the same thing.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:40 AM   #9
antmaril
DIS Veteran
The elephant topiaries near MK have a special meaning for me
I'm a girl

I still send about 25 cards. The list has dwindled over the years, but I still like to send out some cards. I love receiving them, too.
antmaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:46 AM   #10
BearcatsFan
we finally had a minute to breathe yesterday and sat down
Soak up the Sun

I used to send out 100+, but the list has decreased over the years (deaths, lost contacts, etc.).

This year, we've decided to send only to those we receive from first, save for the elderly as pp stated. That probably sounds very Grinch-y, but the past several years of sending out over 50 cards and receiving only 10 or so has made me rethink things. While I love sending them out, I do like receiving them, also, and many people don't seem to reciprocate anymore. There are a few people I can count on getting one from, but I haven't even opened the box of cards yet to address theirs. Just feeling kind of blah this year.

As our younger, married niece said, "Nobody does cards these days, at least not my generation. I'll email you our family Christmas photo, though, if you want."

At this point in time, we're at a grand total of 0 cards received, so I may be saving a whole lot in postage this year.

Loving all things Disney since 1976.
BearcatsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:51 AM   #11
Andtototoo
DIS Veteran

I really enjoy receiving them, but so few people send them out any more I assume that I'm in the minority. This year, I'm only sending cards out to people my parents' age who I believe still enjoy receiving them because they still send them.
Andtototoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:35 AM   #12
mtemm
Doubly blessed
Ever just have one of those days?
I occasionally make a split breast for dh

we send them every year, but our list has dwindled some. this year I only ordered around 40, may have to order a few more but may just keep it at that. its funny, we normally get a good amount, but this year so far have only received 3. its still early, so people might be waiting a bit, or choosing to skip a year.
mtemm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:49 AM   #13
wendy46001
Mouseketeer
Dont get me wrong, I love all things wonka

We send out about 75 cards, normally get about 45 to 50 back. I tried to cut the list down but turns out the non senders are all on DH's side (guess they dont do cards). Oh well, i like sending them out. So cards for everyone.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:51 AM   #14
HM
A tag from the TF is better than a personalized licence plate

I just sent out 21 earlier this week. I'm waiting for my son to come home from college and then I'll get a picture of my two kids together to go in the rest of my cards to people that will care that they have a picture of my children (family and closer friends). That will be about 20 or so as well.
HM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:03 AM   #15
wishesuponastar
DIS Veteran

We still send cards to about 30 and receive about 15. I liked the tradition so I will keep doing it. I especially love getting the photos and we send a photo too. I keep the photos hung up on the inside of my front door as long as possible. On year it was July when dh tool them down. I like to be reminded of our friends and family.
wishesuponastar is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: