Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2012, 09:01 AM   #31
MOREMICKEYFORME
2 Pirates + 2 Princesses= 1 Family!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoopermom View Post
My DGM has a "cheaper" version, it's a wrist one that calls my mom (her DD) first, then works its way down a list. DGM did NOT want one that called the home company or 911, but felt ok with one that called a relative. Now it does give my mom headaches because she has to remember to always have her phone with her and on, but if it means DGM will use it, it's all worthwhile.

There are no easy answers, unfortunately....

Terri

Can you tell me the name of this system?
MOREMICKEYFORME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:03 AM   #32
MOREMICKEYFORME
2 Pirates + 2 Princesses= 1 Family!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyLvr55 View Post
I called LifeAlert for my mother. I just wanted the pricing info, but they made me give all my info - Phone number, names, addresses, etc. before they would give me any type of quote. Ok, no big deal. The price wasn't that bad, it was $99 for the unit, and then $19.99 per month after that, and as far as I could remember, that was it. I got the info from them, told then I would speak with my mother about it, and if she agreed to it, I would call them back, and hook it up. Well.... stubborn Mom way 150% against it!!! No way was she ever getting anything like that! Ok, fine. I only live about 5 minutes away, and stopped in every single day, usually 2-3 times getting her stuff, etc.

Life Alert was so horribly annoying!! They would call me at least once to twice a week, asking me to sign up. They were, for the most part, very elderly people who were calling, and they kept telling me their stories on how THEY themselves have it, and so do all their friends, and how its such a life saver, yada yada yada. Well, thats great, and I'm happy for them, however, I can't force my mother to get it. I would thank them, and tell them I'd call them, if my Mother decided to sign up.
After a few weeks of them calling 1-2 times a week, I got a little more abrasive with them. I asked them to stop calling. I said if we wanted the product, I have their number, and would call, but to PLEASE take me off their call list.
My mother sadly passed away this October in a hospital. They kept calling. Finally, I couldn't take anymore of their calls. I told them - "Shes dead. We have no need for it anymore! Please take us off your call list already!" FINALLY, they have stopped harassing us.

So if you want to go with them, make sure you mean it, because they will call and call till you do!
I am very sorry for the loss of your mother. I have not called any companies yet for this very reason. I am somewhat of a sucker and this is why I want to do some research before I speak with a representative from anywhere.
MOREMICKEYFORME is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-12-2012, 09:19 AM   #33
Amy
MamaGrumpy

Went through all this recently with my dad. He had a cell phone, but he never turned it on! I couldn't get him to understand that if someone is trying to call him, the phone will not magically turn itself on and ring - IT HAS TO BE TURNED ON! Grrr....

Anyway, after he fell at home, I got him a system thru Phillips - I think it was called Lifeline. It's a waterproof necklace thing (although he always took it off when he took a shower), but it also has a gyroscope inside, so it can "sense" when somebody falls; that way they don't have to push a button. When the Phillips folks get the "fall" signal, they'll come over the speaker box and ask if everything is ok. If it's a false alarm and he tells them he's ok (like if he took it off and tossed it on the bed or something), they won't call an ambulance or me. (I live 1/2 hour away, so I told them to call the ambulance first and then call me.) If they don't get an answer from him, they'll automatically call an ambulance.

I don't recall it being all that expensive - the skilled nursing facility he was at to recover from his fall gave me a coupon; the monthly fee was around $50 a month.

Something else to think about (the Phillips rep told me this one): My dad didn't talk to the neighbors, and I live 1/2 hour away. So the ambulance would get there well before me. So they wouldn't have to break down the door to get in, we got a lock box (like the realtors use) and put it on the back door with a key. Gave the combination to the Phillips folks. It worked great. He fell again this spring, and actually pushed the button. Phillips called the ambulance and gave them the combination. They got there and took him to the hospital before I could get there, no damage to the house. (Well, they didn't lock up when they left, but that was ok by me.)

June 1999 - Port Orleans (now POFQ) June 2001 - POFQ/HRH June 2003 - WL/HRH July 2004 - DL/Calif Adv June 2005 - WL/HRH Dec. 2005 - WL (DS band trip!) June 2007 - WL/HRH Nov./Dec. 2007 - Pop (band trip with both DS's!) Oct 2011 - Pop
Amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:23 AM   #34
Amy
MamaGrumpy

Oh, I agree with the PP about Life Alert - I called them for info when I was trying decide which on to get for my dad, and they called me just about every other day, bugging me to sign up with them. When I decided to go with the Phillips version, I couldn't wait for the Life Alert rep to call again so I could tell him I chose a competitor. And even then, he still tried to get me to change my mind!

June 1999 - Port Orleans (now POFQ) June 2001 - POFQ/HRH June 2003 - WL/HRH July 2004 - DL/Calif Adv June 2005 - WL/HRH Dec. 2005 - WL (DS band trip!) June 2007 - WL/HRH Nov./Dec. 2007 - Pop (band trip with both DS's!) Oct 2011 - Pop
Amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:36 AM   #35
krcit
DIS Veteran

We got the Phillips for my mom. She has such severe arthritis that she can't use a cell phone. I did have to lecture her about wearing the necklace..she thinks it's ugly. I told her when George Clooney comes to visit, she can take it off. She's never needed it but has accidently pushed it a couple of times and they respond immediately..asking on a speaker if she needs help. I think we pay about $21 a month.

krcit is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: