Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2012, 09:42 AM   #1
kwelch10377
DIS Veteran

Bulk Baking Ingredients from BJs

I have a coupon to get a free 60 day membership at BJs and I was thinking of using it to get baking ingredients for all my holiday baking. Does anyone else here get their baking ingredients there? Are the prices better than the grocery store and do they have a decent selection?
kwelch10377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:41 PM   #2
arthuruscg
DIS Veteran

I hope you can carry 25lb sacks of flour, 10lb bags of chocolate chips, ect.

All of the whole sale clubs carry the basics in large quantities but the other items depend on what each location wants to stock.
Entire Child hood Fort Wilderness Campground
arthuruscg is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-11-2012, 12:51 PM   #3
usnuzuloose

Loosing Doomed Boo Boo

You could always see if people want to go in with you and split some cost for the baking goods.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:54 PM   #4
kwelch10377
DIS Veteran

My concern isn't the size of the packaging or the amount, more whether or not it would be cheaper to get say 10lbs of chocolate chips at BJs or just go to the grocery store and get several packages of chocolate chips that total 10lbs.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:54 PM   #5
pumba
DIS PUMBARIZER
I have a smile on my face a mile wide
Let’s just say that Mr. Feeney came out “well done”

DISboards Moderator

some of the items comes in maybe three or four together...I always get my margarine, butter, bacon, spices, herbs, peanut butter, ..because we use it ..flour and sugar are reasonable too compared to the regular stores...
I like ours and they always have plenty of options..

pumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:23 PM   #6
laurafergie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwelch10377 View Post
I have a coupon to get a free 60 day membership at BJs and I was thinking of using it to get baking ingredients for all my holiday baking. Does anyone else here get their baking ingredients there? Are the prices better than the grocery store and do they have a decent selection?
I may be wrong, but I think that free 60 day membership is just tacked on to a regular membership making it last 14 months vs 12 months. I don't think you can just get the 60 day standing alone. If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will be along to correct me.

Anyway, I have a membership and I buy baking stuff in bulk. I find the white sugar and about the same, maybe a little less. Brown sugar and flour is less. Yeast is very cheap if you buy a pound, which I do and keep in the freezer. So you just need to know your prices.

The best thing about BJs is that they send out lots of coupons and you can stack regular coupons on top of the BJs coupons.
2009 All Star Sports
2010 Windsor Hills - Christmas at Disney!!
2015 ???? Always Hopeful!
DH Me DS27 DD23 DD22 DD14 DD10
laurafergie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:32 PM   #7
pumba
DIS PUMBARIZER
I have a smile on my face a mile wide
Let’s just say that Mr. Feeney came out “well done”

DISboards Moderator

yes you can get the 60 day membership ...we always would get a freebie in the mail and we would go and try it out...
Then my husbands work place offered it to all employees with a discount so we took up on that..
but just wanted you to know you can use the 60 day and find out if you want to buy into the membership..

pumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:52 PM   #8
Pigeon
DIS Veteran

I do the 60 day free membership about once a year.

Some of their stuff will be cheaper, some of it will be the same and some of it will be more expensive. Like anything else, it pays to know prices and compare them.

If you have an Aldis near you, you might want to look at them for baking supplies. They are very reasonable for that kind of thing and I've been pleased with everything I've purchased.

Oh, but as a pp mentioned BJ's bulk yeast is awesome. That's the primary reason I go there. The nuts can also be a good price.
Pigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:40 PM   #9
denisem
DIS Veteran

Not BJ's but I recently got into bread baking and purchased supplies at Sam's club the other day, which I assume would be similar to BJ's in comparing to your neighborhood store (Publix in my case).

2 lbs. Fleishmann's yeast = $4.68
10 lbs. Gold Medal All-Purpose Flour = $4.76

I also second Aldi's for baking staples if you have one near you.
denisem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:12 PM   #10
Costumesaremylife
If someone's baking. I'm eating.
Jerry O'Connell once said "Hello" to me. I am still recovering from it
I saw Rodney Dangerfield in his underwear

There were coupons on the rack for baking goods when I was there this weekend. Make sure to check those out when you go.
Costumesaremylife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:31 PM   #11
MouseMomx2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by arthuruscg View Post
I hope you can carry 25lb sacks of flour, 10lb bags of chocolate chips, ect.

All of the whole sale clubs carry the basics in large quantities but the other items depend on what each location wants to stock.
We have a BJs membership and the sizes are nowhere near that large. Flour comes in 10lb bags, chocolate chips are about double the size of the largest grocery store bag (I'm guessing 4-5 lbs) and sugar comes in 10 lb bags. I also buy Crisco, vanilla, spices and oil there. The prices are definitely better than at a grocery store. The selection is limited, but they have what I want (King Arthur flour, Skippy peanut butter, etc.) and I get most of my baking ingredients there.
MouseMomx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:37 PM   #12
dis-happy
DIS Veteran

Love BJ's and Costco for baking supplies.

At BJ's I buy sugar (regular and powdered), salt, yeast ( great deal!!!), foil (line cookie sheets with it), all purpose flour (King Arthur brand in 10 lb bag, great price as compared anywhere else).

At Costco I buy the 50# bread flour for $12-13 and bake all my family's bread with it.
dis-happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:15 AM   #13
kwelch10377
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the replies!

I am glad that they have King Arthur Flour, that is the only flour I will use. I am a little picky on ingredients so some things I know I won't be able to get there, but I was hoping to try and save a little money if they do have some of the brands I will use.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:50 AM   #14
okeydokey
Frosty the Snowman scared me as a child
It will always be beautiful no matter what it looks like naked

I do get some things at Sams. 5 pounds of butter, 72 ounce bags of chocolate chips etc.. Not all the quantities are huge, and they are MUCH cheaper than the smaller bags at the grocery. You just need to be sure you can store them for a while and that you are buying items that will not expire or go stale before you can use them all.
okeydokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:35 AM   #15
Bren's Mom
DIS Veteran

I haven't compared flour or sugar prices lately, but pure vanilla extract is a good deal. As is peanut butter (I buy Skippy). And nuts usually. Oh and definitely spices.

Also not baking per se, but things to look at:

Hidden Valley Ranch dip/dressing mix. It comes in a plastic jar in the spice aisle. That's a great deal if you use it.

13x9 disposable pans. It's like $7 for a pack of 30 or something like that. Even cheaper than the 2/$1 at the Dollar Store! I use these a lot when taking dishes to friends houses, and for using on the grill in the summer. And obviously they don't go bad.

Appetizers, like the pigs in a blanket ones, are much cheaper than at the grocery store.

And contrary to a pp, it's not all 10lb bags of choclate chips etc. They have very reasonably sized but 'larger' packages.

ETA: And also, don't forget your coupons! BJs has a very generous coupon policy. You can use a coupon PER ITEM in the package. So the Skippy is 2 jars shrink wrapped together. You can use 1 '$1 off 2' coupon OR 2 '$1 off 1' coupons. For some things, like deodorant that is in a 4 pack, if you get a good coupon and can acquire enough for each one it's a phenomenal deal.

Last edited by Bren's Mom; 12-12-2012 at 10:41 AM.
Bren's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: