Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2012, 05:44 PM   #1
3boymthr
DIS Veteran

My NOOK just died....

Well, sorta. Part of the screen saver is frozen on the screen. I can power it on choose a book, etc, but the screen saver stays firmly on over 1/3 of the screen. Has anyone ever had this happen? If yes, were you able to solve the problem?

I have the first generation Nook - I was having problems with the software freezing so it probably could stand to be replaced anyway. I have 600 books on my Nook most from B&N so I'll absolutely be buying a new one. Can you please tell me about your nook? Which version do you have and do you love it or would you get a different version.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:54 PM   #2
donac
BL6 Black Team Captain
The Vanilla Rooibus was heavenly
Heigh ho - Heigh ho - It's off to lose weight I go...

Try taking out the battery for a while and then recharge it.

Good luck.
Dona July 1980 with DH family Nov 1984 Last trip before kids Aug 1988 Poly 10th AnnvAug 1992 Port Orleans Other trips I can't nameAug 2002 POFQ, FW, AS sp with Sean and the girls Aug 2003 FW Our 25th Annv Trip Aug 2005 Camping with the Knotts Aug 2006 Twin Sister Trip Aug 2008 30 Anniv/grad Trip 2009 POFQ just us 2012 Grand Gathering with Sedlaks
donac is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-11-2012, 05:55 PM   #3
lovesmurfs
I need to start thinking of pithy things to say
It costs him money every time I watch!

I had (yes, past tense) a 1st generation with troubles -- took it into the store and the workers all about laughed at me.

But, after telling them that NO, I didn't want to buy a new one, they did give me the phone number for the warranty place (even though it's out of warranty). I was given several really inexpensive options. Got the simple touch (no backlight, refurbished) for $39, I believe. The refurbished has a 1-year warranty.

Good luck.

"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society." Mark Twain

"Some people are like Slinkies. They serve no useful purpose, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs."
lovesmurfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:58 PM   #4
tiggger1
I put vicks on my feet
It really cleans my floors and makes them softer!

there is a way to reboot. you need to take out the battery to do so. if you google it it should give you directions... it was really easy
Old 12-11-2012, 08:00 PM   #5
lsyorke
DIS Veteran
Owner of squeeky bras

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggger1 View Post
there is a way to reboot. you need to take out the battery to do so. if you google it it should give you directions... it was really easy
To take the battery out you need a special tool(after trying everything I could at home), which they have at every Barnes and Noble. Mine first generation Nook use to freeze a lot and I finally gave in a got a new one. I figured it was time...and I love the backlighting of the new ones.
lsyorke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:11 PM   #6
tiggger1
I put vicks on my feet
It really cleans my floors and makes them softer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsyorke

To take the battery out you need a special tool(after trying everything I could at home), which they have at every Barnes and Noble. Mine first generation Nook use to freeze a lot and I finally gave in a got a new one. I figured it was time...and I love the backlighting of the new ones.
I did not need a tool?
Old 12-11-2012, 08:11 PM   #7
MrsJackSparrow4Life
DIS Veteran

Sounds like a broken screen to me. I own Kindles but one of my Kindles did this not too long ago. The eink screens have different layers and this is what happens when the layer beneath the glass breaks.
MrsJackSparrow4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:19 PM   #8
kldmom2000
DIS Veteran

I've had 2 great experiences with calling the NOOK call center~both times they talked me through my NOOK issues. Have you tried calling them? You can get the # off Barnesandnoble.com
Old 12-11-2012, 09:14 PM   #9
txSleepingBeauty
New Rule:
The first person to reply on any thread needs to quote the OP. That way when someone does the delete of nevermind edit we know what was there before it got deleted.

That's what happened to mine--verdict from my old B&N friends was that is was dead dead dead. I replaced it with the simple touch glow and love it even more than I loved my original! It's lighter, and I don't need to drag a booklight around anymore
txSleepingBeauty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:32 PM   #10
3boymthr
DIS Veteran

I have taken the back off before to add a memory card and it was easy so I'll try to do the same and take out the battery and see if it works. It's so weird because I used it put it in my purse carried it up the stairs and put it down at the table (in it's case - I have a beautiful leather one from Oberon) and when I took it out it was messed up. I suspect as pp mentioned that the screen is cracked simply from the way the image is all sharp angles like broken glass. I've not called B&N yet as I suspect that since I've had it since they first came out that they'll probably only tell me that I can trade it in (which is devastating cause I really like the nook I have and am not so wild about the new styles not having 3G because I LOVE the 3G) but I've decided that if the battery trick doesn't work I'm going to be saving up my free Target GC (you know the kind you get when you buy 2 tide or 2 pks of TP, etc.) so I'll probably not go the refurb route. This might take me a while but I just don't have the cash to go out and buy a new one right now. In the meantime middle DS has a 1st gen Nook that we got him a few years ago and spends all his reading time recently reading paperback books for school (and they have to be the paper kind) so I'm "borrowing" his until I either fix mine or get a new one.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:30 AM   #11
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

Sorry to hear your nook is broken.

I also have a 1st gen and it has gotten so buggy I don't even use it anymore.

Ebooks don't exactly thrill me, so I haven't replaced it. I still prefer paper books.
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:06 AM   #12
MrsJackSparrow4Life
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3boymthr View Post
I have taken the back off before to add a memory card and it was easy so I'll try to do the same and take out the battery and see if it works. It's so weird because I used it put it in my purse carried it up the stairs and put it down at the table (in it's case - I have a beautiful leather one from Oberon) and when I took it out it was messed up. I suspect as pp mentioned that the screen is cracked simply from the way the image is all sharp angles like broken glass. I've not called B&N yet as I suspect that since I've had it since they first came out that they'll probably only tell me that I can trade it in (which is devastating cause I really like the nook I have and am not so wild about the new styles not having 3G because I LOVE the 3G) but I've decided that if the battery trick doesn't work I'm going to be saving up my free Target GC (you know the kind you get when you buy 2 tide or 2 pks of TP, etc.) so I'll probably not go the refurb route. This might take me a while but I just don't have the cash to go out and buy a new one right now. In the meantime middle DS has a 1st gen Nook that we got him a few years ago and spends all his reading time recently reading paperback books for school (and they have to be the paper kind) so I'm "borrowing" his until I either fix mine or get a new one.
My Kindle was in it's Oberon case when the screen cracked as well (it had actually been a couple of days since I had picked it up). The eink screens are fragile and I think it was just something that happened over time from things pressing on it in my bag (I had the kindle for almost 3 years).

Fortunately I had purchased a squaretrade warranty for it so I got all my money back (plus 5% since I took payment in the form of an Amazon gift card). I was able to buy a new Kindle plus have money left over since the prices for ereaders have gone down so much.

I still wish I had my original one though.
MrsJackSparrow4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:55 AM   #13
firecracker725
DIS Veteran

I work at a B&N, and I can recommend that you take it into your nearest store for service. They're happy to help, and it's free.

-------------
firecracker725 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: