Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2012, 09:15 AM   #1
Disney_Princess83
DIS Veteran

Mickey's Jingle Jungle 5K and Wine & Dine Half Marathon

Hi everyone!

I hope that this is the correct forum to put this question in. My sister and I are travelling from Australia next year to Disney World. We have been several times before but this time we would love to undertake at least one marathon. During our trip, there should be two marathons happening. Mickey's Jingle Jungle 5K and Wine & Dine Half Marathon. Assuming they will fall on similar dates this year, they were both on the same day. The Jingle Jungle 5K will be at 7am, with the Wine and Dine Half Marathon starting at 10pm that night. We are also probably going to do MVMCP the night before so it will be a long night the day before.

At this stage, for the day before, we will only be going into MK for the party from 4pm and having a very quite day. Sleeping in, a late breakfast or lunch at the resort, some swimming maybe and then onto the party. We would stay until midnight but then come back and sleep for a few hours and head to AK for the 5K race. We really want to do this race as aside from MK, AK is our favourite park!

We would do the race and then depending on how we are feeling, hang around AK for awhile and then head back for the resort for some sleep if necessary, rest, a swim maybe and a light dinner before heading to EPCOT.

Do the Wine & Dine Half Marathon, hang around for awhile in EPCOT at the after hours party for as long as we feel like it and then head back to the resort.

The following day, we would have another quite day, maybe head into a park later in the afternoon, possibly HS as the Osbourne Lights should be on. We will have AP's so it won't worry us to head into a park for just a few hours. It's an adults only trip as well so no kids to worry about.

Has anyone on the boards done both? Any advice or experience?

Almost 6 Weeks at Disney.... it's Happened! October & November 2013! Trip Report and Food Review to Follow Soon

Starbucks has arrived at WDW! MK, EPCOT and soon the entire World!
Add me on Twitter: @OzGoofyPrincess
Disney_Princess83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:46 AM   #2
JCH
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney_Princess83 View Post
Hi everyone!

I hope that this is the correct forum to put this question in. My sister and I are travelling from Australia next year to Disney World. We have been several times before but this time we would love to undertake at least one marathon. During our trip, there should be two marathons happening. Mickey's Jingle Jungle 5K and Wine & Dine Half Marathon. Assuming they will fall on similar dates this year, they were both on the same day. The Jingle Jungle 5K will be at 7am, with the Wine and Dine Half Marathon starting at 10pm that night. We are also probably going to do MVMCP the night before so it will be a long night the day before.

At this stage, for the day before, we will only be going into MK for the party from 4pm and having a very quite day. Sleeping in, a late breakfast or lunch at the resort, some swimming maybe and then onto the party. We would stay until midnight but then come back and sleep for a few hours and head to AK for the 5K race. We really want to do this race as aside from MK, AK is our favourite park!

We would do the race and then depending on how we are feeling, hang around AK for awhile and then head back for the resort for some sleep if necessary, rest, a swim maybe and a light dinner before heading to EPCOT.

Do the Wine & Dine Half Marathon, hang around for awhile in EPCOT at the after hours party for as long as we feel like it and then head back to the resort.

The following day, we would have another quite day, maybe head into a park later in the afternoon, possibly HS as the Osbourne Lights should be on. We will have AP's so it won't worry us to head into a park for just a few hours. It's an adults only trip as well so no kids to worry about.

Has anyone on the boards done both? Any advice or experience?
1. Neither of these are marathons. A marathon is 26.2 miles (42.2 km). There is only 1 marathon at Disney, and it is in January.

2. I would not even considering doing even a 5k after going to one of the parties. Even for the 5ks, which start between 6:30 and 7, you will need to be on the bus by about 5 to be there by 5:30. That means getting up around 4:30 to get ready. Assuming you stay at the party until midnight, get back to the hotel at 12:30, get ready for bed and get to bed by 1, you are looking at 3 and a half hours of sleep, PLUS jetlag coming from Australia.

3. I don't think you would have any issues doing Wine and Dine with that plan! The only concern I would have is doing the 5k on after a late day.

Completed Races: Halloween 5k 2011 Family Fiesta 5k 2012 Princess HM 2012/3 ToT 10 Miler 2012/3 WDW Half 2013 Dumbo Double Dare 2013!
WDW 10k/Enchanted 10K 2014
JCH is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-06-2012, 09:53 AM   #3
Disney_Princess83
DIS Veteran

Yes I realise they're not "marathons" We will have already been at WDW for 2 weeks so the jetlag won't be an issue at this stage.

We are only "concerned" about doing MVMCP the night before and then the 5K in the morning. However really want to do the AK race and MVMCP

Thanks for replying

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCH View Post
1. Neither of these are marathons. A marathon is 26.2 miles (42.2 km). There is only 1 marathon at Disney, and it is in January.

2. I would not even considering doing even a 5k after going to one of the parties. Even for the 5ks, which start between 6:30 and 7, you will need to be on the bus by about 5 to be there by 5:30. That means getting up around 4:30 to get ready. Assuming you stay at the party until midnight, get back to the hotel at 12:30, get ready for bed and get to bed by 1, you are looking at 3 and a half hours of sleep, PLUS jetlag coming from Australia.

3. I don't think you would have any issues doing Wine and Dine with that plan! The only concern I would have is doing the 5k on after a late day.

Almost 6 Weeks at Disney.... it's Happened! October & November 2013! Trip Report and Food Review to Follow Soon

Starbucks has arrived at WDW! MK, EPCOT and soon the entire World!
Add me on Twitter: @OzGoofyPrincess
Disney_Princess83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:16 AM   #4
JCH
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney_Princess83 View Post
Yes I realise they're not "marathons" We will have already been at WDW for 2 weeks so the jetlag won't be an issue at this stage.

We are only "concerned" about doing MVMCP the night before and then the 5K in the morning. However really want to do the AK race and MVMCP

Thanks for replying
Okay, that changes it a little. I read it as you were coming in the day before and then doing the 5k after being at Disney until midnight! You can see why I would think that would not be the best of ideas.

Sorry if I seem snippy, I just get a little irritated as a half marathoner when people call 5ks "marathons". Nothing like coming into work telling people you ran a half marathon, then having someone else come in bragging about their "marathon" that same weekend, only to find out it was a 5k...

Have you seen the W&D course? It also goes through AK, so you wouldn't be missing out on that by skipping the 5k.

http://as1.wdpromedia.com/media/rund...DineCourse.pdf

Completed Races: Halloween 5k 2011 Family Fiesta 5k 2012 Princess HM 2012/3 ToT 10 Miler 2012/3 WDW Half 2013 Dumbo Double Dare 2013!
WDW 10k/Enchanted 10K 2014
JCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:32 AM   #5
cewait
DIS Veteran

Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm

Other than the jet lag issue, you should be fine running the races. Just take the 5k slow and easy, kind of like a fast walk in the park. Then the W&D will feel like a day run for you - wierd. Attending the party the night prior is sub-optimal but you have the period between races to nap.

Make sure you hydrate well on the plane as these are extremely dehydrating. Bring your race gear in your carry-on. Have Fun!
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

I don't want easy - just possible

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cewait/
cewait is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: