Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2012, 08:33 AM   #46
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Missouri
Posts: 44,749

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy3 View Post
While I agree those parents should just buy the milk, the program is designed so that they don't have to. It is also designed so that food and money are being wasted for no reason. There is always room for reform
How?

So ban bagged lunches?

Not allow a kid to get a free lunch that brings a bagged lunch?

Start a milk program?

I do not think you can "win" here.
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:50 AM   #47
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 20,034

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mystery Machine View Post
How?

So ban bagged lunches?

Not allow a kid to get a free lunch that brings a bagged lunch?

Start a milk program?

I do not think you can "win" here.
Really, how about if you are on the free lunch program you are allowed to get just milk free if you bring in from home. Or OTOH, if you are on the free lunch program, and bring your lunch from home you are not allowed to get "free milk" that day, which means you aren't allowed to get free food to throw away either.
If they can regulate how many calories a child gets on their tray through reforn, they can certainly figure out a way to reform the free/reduced lunch program to reduce food and monetary waste. Like I said in my very first post in this thread, its just easier to waste and to complain there isn't enough money, but that doesn't mean that something can't actually be done about it
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 12-06-2012, 08:51 AM   #48
daughtersrus
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 5,897

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mystery Machine View Post
1) School is not to blame because child throws meal away. Not every kid throws the meal away. Some of the kids actually eat the meal and it is their FULL meal for the day. ETA....(Apologies to those with horrible cooks in your school or less than stellar vendors for your school supplier.)

It is a rule for the school lunch program across the board. You cannot "win" with this issue. I guess you can call it "equilibrium" or "necesary evil" or "casualities of war in the school lunch program" as far as the law goes. It does stink but there is no "winning" here.

ETA...Unless you recall the school in the news a couple of yrs ago that did not allow bagged lunch from home. Do you want to adopt that as a "way to win"? I would not.

When you are a kitchen manager you have to plan for how much is going to get eaten that day basically.

Yes in elementary there is a "count" taken and there is less food thrown out by the kitchen staff at the end of the day. Does make prep much easier.

In middle and HS no "counts" are taken so it is a hit and miss effort.

2) If child wants a JUST A MILK then they NEED TO BUY A MILK. Do not blame the lunch program for that.

If the kids and parents "use" the "lunch program" just to get a milk then that is on them and not the school lunch program.


.
There is a way to "win" as you call it. Change the lunch program to allow children that qualify for free/reduced lunch the option to just get milk.

Some of these children may have diet issues, sensory issues, allergies, or just not want to spend 1/2 of their lunch time waiting in line. If they qualify for free lunch they may not be able to afford to purchase milk. $12 a month per child to buy milk at school may not be a lot to you, but for some families it is.
daughtersrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:18 AM   #49
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Missouri
Posts: 44,749

Quote:
Originally Posted by daughtersrus View Post
There is a way to "win" as you call it. Change the lunch program to allow children that qualify for free/reduced lunch the option to just get milk.

Some of these children may have diet issues, sensory issues, allergies, or just not want to spend 1/2 of their lunch time waiting in line. If they qualify for free lunch they may not be able to afford to purchase milk. $12 a month per child to buy milk at school may not be a lot to you, but for some families it is.
That will not work. Food is frozen and needs to be thawed.

As a staff person you take food from the deep freeze and set it in the cooler to thaw. There is a lot of prep work that is done before serving day. Unless it is nuggets or something easy that you can make in 10 minutes. However kids are on a time schedule and it is your job to make sure you get the kids their food QUICKLY so they can eat.

How much do you take out? Well you base it on how much you are making and you get that number by how much you make vs how much you throw away.

Generally the staff is pretty good with working that out. You get to know the vibe of your school.

Bottom line.....

If you have kids that are supposed to get the FREE LUNCH do you have the obligation to make sure that meal is provided daily to the student? You have to plan that ahead of time.
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:31 AM   #50
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 20,034

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mystery Machine View Post
That will not work. Food is frozen and needs to be thawed.

As a staff person you take food from the deep freeze and set it in the cooler to thaw. There is a lot of prep work that is done before serving day. Unless it is nuggets or something easy that you can make in 10 minutes. However kids are on a time schedule and it is your job to make sure you get the kids their food QUICKLY so they can eat.

How much do you take out? Well you base it on how much you are making and you get that number by how much you make vs how much you throw away.

Generally the staff is pretty good with working that out. You get to know the vibe of your school.

Bottom line.....

If you have kids that are supposed to get the FREE LUNCH do you have the obligation to make sure that meal is provided daily to the student? You have to plan that ahead of time.
Our school has a choice of entrees, things like sandwiches that are served every day that don't need to be frozen. I'm sure other schools could do the same so your argument about having to thaw things ahead of time won't win.
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:35 AM   #51
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Missouri
Posts: 44,749

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy3 View Post
Our school has a choice of entrees, things like sandwiches that are served every day that don't need to be frozen. I'm sure other schools could do the same so your argument about having to thaw things ahead of time won't win.
So then you are saying get rid of "hot lunch"? Only serve sandwiches?

I don't think that is going to happen.
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:37 AM   #52
luvsJack
DIS Veteran
 
luvsJack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: My own little corner of the world
Posts: 12,329

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mystery Machine View Post
That will not work. Food is frozen and needs to be thawed.

As a staff person you take food from the deep freeze and set it in the cooler to thaw. There is a lot of prep work that is done before serving day. Unless it is nuggets or something easy that you can make in 10 minutes. However kids are on a time schedule and it is your job to make sure you get the kids their food QUICKLY so they can eat.

How much do you take out? Well you base it on how much you are making and you get that number by how much you make vs how much you throw away.

Generally the staff is pretty good with working that out. You get to know the vibe of your school.

Bottom line.....

If you have kids that are supposed to get the FREE LUNCH do you have the obligation to make sure that meal is provided daily to the student? You have to plan that ahead of time.
The school dd attended for k-8 takes a count every day. The homeroom teacher tells the kids the choices for that day and the kids that are planning to eat in the lunch room tell them which one they want. The numbers are then sent to the lunchroom to let them know an estimate of how much to cook. So a kid that normally gets free lunch; when he is eating that lunch would be included in that count; when he brings his lunch he would not.

No matter how you slice it, its stupid to give a kid that only wants milk a whole tray of food to be tossed in the trash.
__________________


10 pounds closer to Skinny Island!
luvsJack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:38 AM   #53
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 9,334

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mystery Machine View Post
That will not work. Food is frozen and needs to be thawed.

As a staff person you take food from the deep freeze and set it in the cooler to thaw. There is a lot of prep work that is done before serving day. Unless it is nuggets or something easy that you can make in 10 minutes. However kids are on a time schedule and it is your job to make sure you get the kids their food QUICKLY so they can eat.

How much do you take out? Well you base it on how much you are making and you get that number by how much you make vs how much you throw away.

Generally the staff is pretty good with working that out. You get to know the vibe of your school.

Bottom line.....

If you have kids that are supposed to get the FREE LUNCH do you have the obligation to make sure that meal is provided daily to the student? You have to plan that ahead of time.
This logic doesn't make sense to me. It shouldn't take long for teachers/workers to see how many full lunches are getting thrown out by the kids. So you make 100 lunches, say 10 get scrapped because no one buys them, and another 10 get thrown out by the kids. Fine, so make 95 lunches the next day. Rinse/repeat until you get an accurate count (and allow for some extra "just in case").
__________________
Oasis of the Seas W. Caribbean June 8-June 15, 2013
Barcelo Maya Palace June 29-July 6, 2012
Bay Lake Towers, WDW June 1 - June 6, 2011
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
sam_gordon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:40 AM   #54
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Missouri
Posts: 44,749

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsJack View Post
The school dd attended for k-8 takes a count every day. The homeroom teacher tells the kids the choices for that day and the kids that are planning to eat in the lunch room tell them which one they want. The numbers are then sent to the lunchroom to let them know an estimate of how much to cook. So a kid that normally gets free lunch; when he is eating that lunch would be included in that count; when he brings his lunch he would not.

No matter how you slice it, its stupid to give a kid that only wants milk a whole tray of food to be tossed in the trash.
That responsibility lies on the student and family, not the school.

You cannot blame the school lunch program for the child throwing away the lunch.

If the child only wants a milk they need to purchase the milk.
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:42 AM   #55
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Missouri
Posts: 44,749

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_gordon View Post
This logic doesn't make sense to me. It shouldn't take long for teachers/workers to see how many full lunches are getting thrown out by the kids. So you make 100 lunches, say 10 get scrapped because no one buys them, and another 10 get thrown out by the kids. Fine, so make 95 lunches the next day. Rinse/repeat until you get an accurate count (and allow for some extra "just in case").
Well we can't count what is thrown away buy a student but that is what is done for the other counts.

We cannot micro manage whether a kids eats the lunch or not. And we cannot base our counts on that fact. It would be impossible.
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:44 AM   #56
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 20,034

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mystery Machine View Post
So then you are saying get rid of "hot lunch"? Only serve sandwiches?

I don't think that is going to happen.
That isn't what I said.
Your argument is weak.
There can be reform, period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mystery Machine View Post
That responsibility lies on the student and family, not the school.

You cannot blame the school lunch program for the child throwing away the lunch.

If the child only wants a milk they need to purchase the milk.

No, you can't blame the school for the kid throwing food out. You can blame the way the school lunch program is set up, for the food and money that gets wasted though.
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:44 AM   #57
daughtersrus
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 5,897

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mystery Machine View Post
That will not work. Food is frozen and needs to be thawed.

As a staff person you take food from the deep freeze and set it in the cooler to thaw. There is a lot of prep work that is done before serving day. Unless it is nuggets or something easy that you can make in 10 minutes. However kids are on a time schedule and it is your job to make sure you get the kids their food QUICKLY so they can eat.

How much do you take out? Well you base it on how much you are making and you get that number by how much you make vs how much you throw away.

Generally the staff is pretty good with working that out. You get to know the vibe of your school.

Bottom line.....

If you have kids that are supposed to get the FREE LUNCH do you have the obligation to make sure that meal is provided daily to the student? You have to plan that ahead of time.
Why won't it work? If a child is just getting a milk, it has nothing to do with what is or isn't taken out of the freezer.

When the child goes through the line to get only a milk, the cashier rings it up as free and the child pays nothing.

Are you saying that the cafeteria plans a meal for every child that is free/reduced and assumes that they will be getting it and not bringing one from home or that they are not absent that day?

Our schools also have the choice between two entrees. So are you saying that the kitchen staff thaws one of each for each student that qualifies for free/reduced lunch not knowing which one the student will choose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mystery Machine View Post
That responsibility lies on the student and family, not the school.

You cannot blame the school lunch program for the child throwing away the lunch.

If the child only wants a milk they need to purchase the milk.
And if they can't afford it, the child goes without?

Last edited by daughtersrus; 12-06-2012 at 09:49 AM.
daughtersrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:52 AM   #58
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Missouri
Posts: 44,749

I am going to stop repeating myself here.

The easiest solution is to have a kid pay for the milk or have a milk program if you do not want to waste food. They used to do that bak in my day. You brought your lunch and bought milk.

As it stands now the child has to take the whole tray for the "hot lunch" to get the milk. If they choose to throw away food, so be it. I don't like the "waste" either however I don't see how to "win" this.
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:55 AM   #59
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 9,334

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mystery Machine View Post
I am going to stop repeating myself here.

The easiest solution is to have a kid pay for the milk or have a milk program if you do not want to waste food. They used to do that bak in my day. You brought your lunch and bought milk.

As it stands now the child has to take the whole tray for the "hot lunch" to get the milk. If they choose to throw away food, so be it. I don't like the "waste" either however I don't see how to "win" this.
So you post two solutions, but then say there is no solution?

That's the whole point... there ARE ways to not waste the food, you mention two of them... have the kids pay or have a milk program.
__________________
Oasis of the Seas W. Caribbean June 8-June 15, 2013
Barcelo Maya Palace June 29-July 6, 2012
Bay Lake Towers, WDW June 1 - June 6, 2011
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
sam_gordon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:58 AM   #60
SweetJoy
Mouseketeer
 
SweetJoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 162

Quote:
Originally Posted by daughtersrus View Post
Why won't it work? If a child is just getting a milk, it has nothing to do with what is or isn't taken out of the freezer.

When the child goes through the line to get only a milk, the cashier rings it up as free and the child pays nothing.

Are you saying that the cafeteria plans a meal for every child that is free/reduced and assumes that they will be getting it and not bringing one from home or that they are not absent that day?

Our schools also have the choice between two entrees. So are you saying that the kitchen staff thaws one of each for each student that qualifies for free/reduced lunch not knowing which one the student will choose?



And if they can't afford it, the child goes without?
Bolding mine - I agree, and I don't see why this cannot be accomplished with a change. It doesn't seem that difficult to do. My kids are on the free/reduced price lunch program. They don't like the offerings everyday, so on those days I send them in with a lunch. Just this morning - I sent my kindergartener in with his lunch and a note saying 'milk from school please". Until this thread, I had no idea that an entire lunch was thrown away just because my child chooses a milk to go along with the PBJ I sent in.
For those of you who say the blame is on the parents - some of us have no idea that this happens. If not for this thread, I don't know that I'd ever know.

Last edited by SweetJoy; 12-06-2012 at 10:05 AM.
SweetJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:42 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.