Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2012, 11:04 PM   #61
Minuet888
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcla View Post
Anyone know if Disneyland has a cherry picker?

I've seen video of some amusement parks where a cherry picker was used to removed riders from stuck rides. Especially interesting were inverted roller coasters. I think they sometimes attach climbing harness or other safety equipment just in case.

Of course many of the rides aren't amenable to that. There's probably no place for them. Still, if California Screamin' got stuck on the inverted loop, I think they might be able to bring in the heavy equipment if they could find a place to park. Disney seems to use every square foot of available space.

There's a ride that I've been on at Great America in Santa Clara, CA called Invertigo. That one has had mechanical issues and was finally dismantled this year. I heard they had to bring in a cherry picker once when it got stuck. I think a cable failed although all the safety systems worked.
This wouldn't happen on CA Sreamin (Being stuck upside down) because of the way the coaster is built. What gets you around the loop is the momentum from going down the previous hill. In fact there is a video on youtube of the coaster not quite getting around and swinging back and forth for a while. The coaster is divided up into 4 sections with only one casoter at a time being allowed in each section. The endning of each section has an emergency section which will stop the coaster at that point if there is an emergency to prevent the coaster from entering the next section. Space Mountain is run the exact same way.
Here's the video I was talking about to show you what I mean
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ha252t9LLxM

By the way Inveritgo was dismantled for break down reasons. I don't know if Cedar Fair decided to move it but the reason it was dismantled in Santa Clara (I grew up there) was becuase the resources aren't avaialable with the fire and emergency servives if this were to happen again. it was a big hoopla when it happened and took several hours to get them down in over 100 degree weather. The city decided not to play around and thought it best to have it dismantled. (if you need a source you can go to www.screamscape.com)
Minuet888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:30 AM   #62
bcla
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuet888 View Post
This wouldn't happen on CA Sreamin (Being stuck upside down) because of the way the coaster is built. What gets you around the loop is the momentum from going down the previous hill. In fact there is a video on youtube of the coaster not quite getting around and swinging back and forth for a while. The coaster is divided up into 4 sections with only one casoter at a time being allowed in each section. The endning of each section has an emergency section which will stop the coaster at that point if there is an emergency to prevent the coaster from entering the next section. Space Mountain is run the exact same way.
Here's the video I was talking about to show you what I mean
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ha252t9LLxM

By the way Inveritgo was dismantled for break down reasons. I don't know if Cedar Fair decided to move it but the reason it was dismantled in Santa Clara (I grew up there) was becuase the resources aren't avaialable with the fire and emergency servives if this were to happen again. it was a big hoopla when it happened and took several hours to get them down in over 100 degree weather. The city decided not to play around and thought it best to have it dismantled. (if you need a source you can go to www.screamscape.com)
I understand the concept of momentum and how rides are designed. I attended one of the "Physics Day" Great America days while in HS, where the park's chief engineer gave a lecture on ride design and maintenance. He had some interesting stories, including one about the Tidal Wave, grease, and sandbags. Something about the test runs where they loaded it up with sandbags, it didn't make it all the way to the top of the loop, and the sand fell out and dumped itself all over the track. They then had to clean out the sand and load the grease again, but they used a lighter weight grease. They then ran it and it proceeded to slam to the end of the track. I do understand how in theory that if something happened in a loop, it should swing back and forth until it reaches a steady state.

Still - I've heard of inverted roller coasters stopping while in the loop. The Demon at the Illinois Great America actually got stuck in the loop, with riders hanging from various angles including upside down. The guide wheel came loose, the safety system (that prevented the thing from derailing) engaged, and the train stopped right there.

If a roller coaster is mechanically sound, it should never get stuck. However, occasionally a part might break off, and that's when the safety systems can stop the whole ride.
bcla is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-17-2012, 02:17 AM   #63
PAGAS
Mouseketeer

We weren't stuck, just in line, but BTMRR stopped with people stuck out there tonight. They had to get off the cars and walk back. We were all given vouchers to get on any ride we wanted except the Matterhorn for up to 6 people. The guy at SM let me use mine twice =)
Disneyland March 2014 * Coronado Springs May 2014 * Port Orleans August 2014
PAGAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 03:44 AM   #64
aml3679
Kita's Mom

My husband and I were at Universal Studios a few years back to celebrate my 50th birthday. We walked by Rip Saw Falls and it is a water flume ride. We were a bit aprehensive because everyone getting off that ride got soaked. We got on and near the top the ride just stopped - it must have been at least 10 minutes. It added to the excitement. It was fun. We did get soaked. The best part is that they have these huge human dryers when you get off. They cost about $1. We got in and my DH was 3 little girls shivering and invited them in - he is a sucker for little girls. It was a great time had by all!
Old 12-17-2012, 09:56 AM   #65
goodeats
DIS Veteran

I went years before I got stuck on a ride. Probably had been to DL and WDW over 250 times! Then one day a few years ago I got walked off of Space Mountain. The lights came on and we were walked off after 10 minutes or so. TBH, I was very uncomfortable and claustrophobic being stuck. The lapbelt started to feel very tight plus I was wearing several layers since it was raining. Once we were walked off it was cool, but there are certain rides I refuse to go on now for fear that I'll be stuck again (California Screamin is top of the list!). Last night I was on Indy and it was paused for about 10 minutes, and I was able to stay calm, but it's an awful feeling. The guy behind me started asking what would happen if there was a fire! Eeek!

goodeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:18 PM   #66
Minuet888
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcla View Post
I understand the concept of momentum and how rides are designed. I attended one of the "Physics Day" Great America days while in HS, where the park's chief engineer gave a lecture on ride design and maintenance. He had some interesting stories, including one about the Tidal Wave, grease, and sandbags. Something about the test runs where they loaded it up with sandbags, it didn't make it all the way to the top of the loop, and the sand fell out and dumped itself all over the track. They then had to clean out the sand and load the grease again, but they used a lighter weight grease. They then ran it and it proceeded to slam to the end of the track. I do understand how in theory that if something happened in a loop, it should swing back and forth until it reaches a steady state.

Still - I've heard of inverted roller coasters stopping while in the loop. The Demon at the Illinois Great America actually got stuck in the loop, with riders hanging from various angles including upside down. The guide wheel came loose, the safety system (that prevented the thing from derailing) engaged, and the train stopped right there.

If a roller coaster is mechanically sound, it should never get stuck. However, occasionally a part might break off, and that's when the safety systems can stop the whole ride.
You are absolutely right there are several rollercoasters that get stuck upsidedown while in the loop. It all depends on the type of coaster and the way its built, where their braking systems are, the protocols of their emergency systems and how the trains launch etc.
All I'm saying is that CA Screamin isn't one of those coasters that will get stuck upsidedown while in the loop because of the way its built.
Minuet888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:06 PM   #67
MickeyFan18
Mouseketeer

My family, like many here, consider it an honor to get stuck on a ride! The two best/scariest stories are Space Mountain and Screamin'.

SM was scary only because the announcement and lights came on before our car stopped. We could see other cars below us stopped, but we were still moving and when we finally stopped, we looked up and saw cars above us moving. It was scary in the moment, we thought we were gonna die, but obviously we all made it safely.

Screamin' was a little different because we had to walk off. Our train got stuck in the emergency braking area after the loop but before you go into the bunny hops. We were stuck for not too long when workers came up to get us out of the train and help us down. The weird/nerve-wracking thing with this is that the cm's were clipped to the hand railing, but we were expected to just get out of the train and walk slowly along the small (really small) walkway and stairs without clips or anything. Again we made it safely!

We have ridden both rides since and when we are bored in line it never fails for one of us to say "remember that time we broke down and..."
MickeyFan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:47 AM   #68
6Smiles
DIS Veteran

We got stuck on GRR during our December trip. It was raining on and off all morning and we were already wet so our kids suggested we ride GRR. Due to the rain there was no line so we were allowed to ride three times in a row. We were soaked but having a blast when on our third time through we got stuck in the shack before the large climb up the hill. We were laughing so hard being stuck on a wet ride... undercover. It was great watching people walk by in the pouring rain pointing at us being stuck in the shack. It took about 20 minutes but eventually the ride started again. We must have been some sight! It was one of the best parts of our trip; everyone was having a blast. We were soaked and dried off by going to the dance party with the Disney Ladies at Stage 17.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:20 AM   #69
Caseheidi
DIS Veteran

I have been walked out of several rides over the years, and strangely enough, all at DLR (strange because I have been to WDW more often).

The first I remember was when I was 16. My youngest brother just made the height requirement for Space Mt and was sitting beside me with our parents behind. The ride stopped, the lights came on and we heard the announcement to wait in our seats for the CM. I remember that two young men broke out of there seats and started to explore. This is when I learned that there are cameras on the tracks as a voice came over the sound system instructing the boys back into their seats. I don't remember how long the wait was, but by the time the CM's arrived to release us, my DB was asleep. Not many people can say they napped on SM!

I have also been walked off Roger Rabbit and Small World. Nothing interesting there. But once while riding the train, we got stopped coming out of the tunnel before Main Street Station for over 30 minutes. We sat watching the Dinosaurs fighting. It is really loud right there, and after about 20 minutes the train conductor was finally able to turn off the sound track. Loudest cheer I heard that day. My ears continued to ring for the next 10 minutes.

We also got stopped on California Screaming once. We were stopped at the last Emergency stop before coming back to the loading dock. We could see the line of people, and listened to the announcement that had them all turning around and exiting the ride. It was a little humerus to hear the collective groan from all those who had been waiting for the ride. After about 15 minutes two CM's showed up at the platform we were stopped by. They informed us that there were not there to get us out, but to entertain us until the mechanic could arrive. Since the CM was right there, I pulled out my camera and had him take DH and my picture. I really started something, because next thing you knew, everyone was getting their picture taken. Finally the mechanic arrived, hooked himself to the rail, and swung out behind each individual car to release our safety restraints. We were the first car to be "saved", and I very calmly let the CM's assisting us know that DH is terrified of heights (but loves a good coaster) and needed lots if help. They were awesome with him, and got him to the rail and starting Dow the stairs right away. Once we were all free, they lead us down three flights of stairs, and around through the track to let us out into the park, giving us all fast passes. As we left the area, we saw that there was still a car waiting to be saved that had just started the ride and was on the first incline after takeoff. We were very grateful that our stop was somewhere level, and not at a 45 degree angle as they were.

DLR - Aug 1980, Aug 1985, May 1988, April 2002, Dec 2002, Dec 2004, Oct 2012

WDW - July/Aug 2001 (Honeymoon!), Oct 2004, Sept 2005, May 2006, Dec 2007, Dec 2008, Oct 2011
Caseheidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:37 PM   #70
Ljbadfan
table #71

just got home from disneyland on 12/31/2012. on saturday the 12/29/2012 my wife and i got stuck on raditor spring racers, on saturday night. it was 740pm at night we were riding along and we got to the sheriff behind the billboard. we heard a loud clunk, all the cars stopped, heard a voice come on the speaker, to say the ride stopped. 2 minutes later all the lights came on, even the overhead lights. loud speaker came on again, said we were gonna be taken off the ride. lady passed by us, to tell us she had to go farther up in the ride to start getting people out of the cars. 10 minutes later she finally got back to get us out of the car we were on. on the way out of the exit, she gave people fast passes to get back on the ride, when it started working again. that night they never got it working and the park closed at 11pm that night. so the ride was broke down for 3 hrs and 20 minutes. the best part the next day i walked up to the ride, the fast pass line was still closed, cause they werent taking fast passes yet, the single rider line was 45 minute wait, and stand-by line was already 2 hour wait, and this is after the park opened at 8 am. i showed him my pass and he said we are taking those right now, so i got to get on the ride before any fast pass people, single riders, and stand-by. it was weird to see people glare at me, but i just smiled and waved, and laughed at them for having to wait and i got on before they did. nice to be stuck on this ride, so you get a pass to come back later so you dont have to wait.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:23 PM   #71
*Seanaci*
DIS-obsessed and proud!

My moms car died on autopia last week. I know all the cars are designed to shut off to save gas. So I was behind her telling her to press her peddle in a couple times. It wasn't working. My dad was behind me...he was telling her to do the same thing. Nothing. Cars on the right track kept passing us. They'd kind of stop and look...and we'd tell them moms car was dead. After about 10 minutes (there had to be 5 other cars behind my dad)...a CM came by. She tried wiggling wires, turning a knob in back...nothing was working. She was trying to get the mechanics out to tow the car in. They kept telling her different things to try in the motor area (to no avail). Finally...a couple mechanics came. I had to push her car forward a bit so they could attach the tow rope. Then I slid over so one of the mechanics could push moms car back to the loading area. At one point, there's a little hill...and if my dad hadn't been behind us and bumped us with the mechanics urging we would have gotten stuck again. My 5 year old was riding with my mom...and smiling and giggling the whole time we pushed them to the loading zone. We all got to ride again...in reliable cars. And they had to push the dead car off the tracks (which actually retract into the ground near the loading area to allow them to change the cars out easier).

Me(34), DH(43), DS(6), DM(56), DG(61)
*Seanaci* is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: