Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2012, 03:54 PM   #1
blackjackdelta
Uncle had an "in" with Walt
I love those rainy days with the decreased crowds

FFI vs Candy Cane

My young adult children have decided to do a 3 day trip...so All you experts who have stayed in both..WHY..apples to apples the best you can. Any pics would help. Do not consider the price.

Thanks,

Jack
blackjackdelta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:56 PM   #2
longtimedisneylurker
DIS Veteran

I have stayed in both, but I should disclose that our FFI stay was in Spring of 2006, so it has been quite a while. We stayed at CCI a couple of times in 2007, once in 2008, and most recently January 2012. Without considering price...

Both motel style with exterior doors. CCI is two story, no elevators. FFI is a tall building. I remember us using the stairs all the time at FFI when we stayed on the third floor, but I assume there is an elevator.

Distance: about the same with FFI being a bit closer but both being easily walkable. FFI is across Harbor though and CCI is on the same side of Harbor as the parks. CCI also has their own shuttle which is very reliable.

Room size: we have only stayed in standard size rooms in each. I always feel that CCI standard size rooms are very small. The FFI room definitely felt bigger, but I haven't compared the reported square footage to see if that was real or perception. Two queen beds are options in both. FFI also has a pull out chair bed. Can't remember if it is really a good enough size for an adult. My son slept on it comfortably, but he was only six at the time. My brother stayed at FFI with his family this past year. He shared a standard room with his wife, three-year old daughter, and his brother-in-law. My brother ended up getting relegated to the chair bed and did sleep, but he didn't say if it fit him well or not. I know roll-aways are an option at CCI but only if you get a room upgrade from standard. I don't know the rollaway options at FFI.

Pool: Both parking lot pools. FFI one is bigger. CCI pool area has a very pleasant atmosphere.

Food: No breakfast at FFI, respectable continental breakfast at CCI. Coffee available at CCI all day, can't remember about FFI. There was an on-site Pizza Hut Express in FFI and a Millie's in the parking lot and Mimi's just next door for convenient extra-cost food options. CCI has no restaurant available on-site. CCI is a much closer walk to the Garden Walk though, so we have gone there for meals when staying at CCI.

Noise: Frankly, both can be noisy. I have learned to make a lot of specific special requests at CCI, and that works for me. At least at CCI, you're not close to the highway, but you can be awfully close to Harbor. When my brother stayed at FFI this past fall, he complained a lot to me afterwards about the noise. I had told him in advance to pay extra and not stay freeway side if he was going to be sensitive to noise, but, of course, he didn't listen to me. Our family was on freeway side when we stayed there our one time, and I didn't enjoy that very much. We were on a tight budget though and got a very good package deal and knew some compromises had to be made.

Parking: CCI has no additional parking fee. The lot is small and a bit tight, but so far we have never had difficulty getting a space upon arrival or when going out for the day and returning. FFI has an $11 per night parking fee. My mother-in-law stays at FFI frequently and says that you pretty much have no option but to valet park your car with them when the hotel is booked up. The fee per night is the same, but she says sometimes it's a bother because you have to wait for your car and it's not easily accessible to them. For some people, of course, this wouldn't be a concern.

Room amenities: Fridge in both. T.V.s old in CCI, don't know current state of FFI. No microwaves in standard for either. Microwaves available in upgraded rooms at CCI. Better t.v.s also in upgraded CCI rooms. Safe in CCI, not sure about FFI. Both have wireless internet, don't know about the quality.

If it was my choice to make, and price was equal or not a factor, I would pick CCI. My mother-in-law has stayed at both multiple times but picks FFI almost every time which she admits is mostly to accrue Marriott points.
longtimedisneylurker is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-01-2013, 12:29 AM   #3
*Seanaci*
DIS-obsessed and proud!

We just got back from a 5 night stay at FFI. We stayed in one of their newly remodeled family suites. And got to watch the Disneyland fireworks every night from our 6th floor room (out our window). The staff was amazing...always smiling and friendly. The hotel was very clean...and well kept. We were in a room right next to the stairs...and we were surprised by the lack of noise. Especially since everyone on our wing had to pass our room to get to theirs and the hotel was booked full. We didn't rent a car so did not have parking issues. Tvs in our room were updated flat screens (I do know that the FFI has remodeled rooms...but I'm not sure which ones). We had a safe...as do all rooms from the descriptions on the website. The fridge was great but froze our drinks when left overnight. We didn't bother checking or looking for the controls...but I'm sure we could have fixed that issue. FFI does have Disney themed rooms...though not as extensive as DLR hotels. The only one in our party that needed breakfast every morning was our 5 year old son...so we walked to a little.mini mart (part of another hotel we later figured out) abduction bought individual cups of cereal for him to munch each morning on the way to the park. The best part about FFI for us was the walk to the parks. Took maybe 15 minutes each way. No shuttles to get on and off...no waking up early to be ready to catch a shuttle.

I think that's about it. If I think of.anything else I'll be sure to post.

I have a few pictures of our room on my computer...so I can try and post those tomorrow.

This was our first trip to DLR...and my parents had stayed at FFI on a previous trip and liked it. So we stayed there last week.

Me(34), DH(43), DS(6), DM(56), DG(61)

Last edited by *Seanaci*; 01-01-2013 at 12:44 AM.
*Seanaci* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:19 PM   #4
blackjackdelta
Uncle had an "in" with Walt
I love those rainy days with the decreased crowds

Thanks everyone..we are used to staying in the park when I made the big$$$$ but not anymore and these two were suggested.

Jack
blackjackdelta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:45 PM   #5
Magalex
DIS Veteran

I just posted today debating about HOJO's vs CCI(at the same rate). The feedback I received was in favor of CCI.
WDW 2010-POP
WDW 2012-CBR
DL/DCA 2013-Candy Cane Inn
WDW and Sea World Orlando June 2014- The "B" resort in DTD
WDW 2015-POR
Magalex is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: