Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2012, 02:11 PM   #1
seals
Mouseketeer

A "bad" table every night

Just got back from our first cruise, 3 night on the Dream. I called a few weeks before to request a table of just the 5 of us since my family was balking at sharing a table with strangers. I was told by the CM on the phone "no problem" and "people request that all the time" and "I just put that down for you." When we arrived at our first dinner another family was at the table. It turned out to not be a big deal as they were cordial and we seemed to have similar dining styles. But still.

Also, the first night table was near the edge of Enchanted Garden and we couldn't really see any of the decor or the changing skyline. The second night our table was at a back corner of Royal Palace, near the serving window and we couldn't really see much of the decor. The third night, the opposite at Animators Palate and we were near the middle/server's counter and didn't get to encounter Crush. Wouldn't it seem that if a table # was in a "bad" location one night it would get a "good" location another night? And for next time, is there any way to request a "better" table number?
seals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:17 PM   #2
erionm
DIS Veteran

Tables numbers may not be in the same location from one cruise to the next. When we arrive at one of the dining rooms, they had to hunt to find the table as the table number was not in the same location as the previous evening.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-05-2012, 02:17 PM   #3
jennab05
Mouseketeer

My family was on a 7 day fantasy cruise and similar table locations happened to us. We were too far to be able to talk to crush and were at side tables at royal court and enchanted so we couldn't see any of the restaurants decor. It was sad but our incredible wait staff made up for it. We weren't too concerned and didn't make a impact in our vacation.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:18 PM   #4
ZoeBell
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by seals
Just got back from our first cruise, 3 night on the Dream. I called a few weeks before to request a table of just the 5 of us since my family was balking at sharing a table with strangers. I was told by the CM on the phone "no problem" and "people request that all the time" and "I just put that down for you." When we arrived at our first dinner another family was at the table. It turned out to not be a big deal as they were cordial and we seemed to have similar dining styles. But still.

Also, the first night table was near the edge of Enchanted Garden and we couldn't really see any of the decor or the changing skyline. The second night our table was at a back corner of Royal Palace, near the serving window and we couldn't really see much of the decor. The third night, the opposite at Animators Palate and we were near the middle/server's counter and didn't get to encounter Crush. Wouldn't it seem that if a table # was in a "bad" location one night it would get a "good" location another night? And for next time, is there any way to request a "better" table number?
Well that's a bummer. The ONLY thing I really want is a table for just the 3 of us. If we don't get it I'm not sure we'll be back in the dining room. I'll find our servers around the ship and give them theirs tips any way. Stick us in a corner. I'll take the worst seat in the house as long as we're alone.

Is there a way to find out before we head to the DR for dinner?

Last edited by ZoeBell; 12-05-2012 at 02:23 PM.
ZoeBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:25 PM   #5
kcashner
DIS Veteran

If you make a dining request (to be seated as "just us", a particular server, or whatever), it is always a good idea to go to "Dining Changes" at the location listed on the Welcome Aboard Navigator after boarding to see if your request was met. If not, ask if they can meet it at that time.

If you are seated with others and it is not a good mix on the first night, talk to the head server--you will be moved.

Table numbers vary with each cruise; they are not in fixed places. As to locations, I honestly think there are more "bad" locations on the Fantasy than there are "good" ones. The server stations are always in the way of something! There is no way to request a "good" table as each of us has a different definition of "good." We had a table back in the corner at Enchanted Garden. No, we really couldn't appreciate the lighting change, but it was the only night that the toddler from a nearby table didn't come to "visit" us when his parents let him run around the dining room and it was less hectic than some other seats. I considered that a "good" spot, but I can certainly see how others might find it "bad" because they didn't appreciate the lighting.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:26 PM   #6
erionm
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoeBell View Post
Well that's a bummer. The ONLY thing I really want is a table for just the 3 of us. If we don't get it I'm not sure we'll be back in the dining room. I'll find our servers around the ship and give them theirs tips any way. Stick us in a corner. I'll take the worst seat in the house as long as we're alone.

The tables seat 4, 6 or 8. They can push tables together for larger groups. Maybe you could go to the dining change location and see if they can tell you if you are seated with others or alone.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:27 PM   #7
AbsyBabsy
Disney Diva

I agree it would be nice not to get stuck in a bad location for each dinner. We usually get a "bad" table - away from seeing things except he servers working and/or going in and out of the kitchen.

last Fantasy cruise we actually had the best table in each one. We had the center 10 top in the middle of the Royal Palace, we were right next to a large crush screen.

Wonder 2006, Magic 2007, Wonder 2008, Magic 2009, Wonder 2009, Wonder 2010, Wonder 2010, Oasis 2010, Magic 3/19/2011, Dream 4/7/2011, Dream 1/26/2012 Platinum baby! Fantasy 6/2/12 Dream 9/2/12, upcoming: Fantasy 2013, Dream 2013, Fantasy 2014, Magic Christmas 2014, Wonder Alaska 2015.
AbsyBabsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:41 PM   #8
AquaDame
Are we there yet?

FWIW we requested and were granted a table for just the two of us. I did ask at the location when we first boarded the ship for dining changes and they told me not to worry, it was granted. In the end we had a lovely 4 top all to ourselves and there were a lot of other families sitting just by themselves too. Ask, confirm, and understand if it can't be met.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:48 PM   #9
AbsyBabsy
Disney Diva

this thread is bringing back memories of trying to design the seating chart for my wedding!

Wonder 2006, Magic 2007, Wonder 2008, Magic 2009, Wonder 2009, Wonder 2010, Wonder 2010, Oasis 2010, Magic 3/19/2011, Dream 4/7/2011, Dream 1/26/2012 Platinum baby! Fantasy 6/2/12 Dream 9/2/12, upcoming: Fantasy 2013, Dream 2013, Fantasy 2014, Magic Christmas 2014, Wonder Alaska 2015.
AbsyBabsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:49 PM   #10
peterpan47
All our dreams come true if we have the courage to pursue them...Walter E. Disney

Quote:

One thing that might work to get a table all to yourself would be to request a particular rotation. For our first two cruises, my daughter and I shared tables with other families and really enjoyed it. Then, on our third cruise, we realized we could put in a request for the rotation we wanted, and so we did. We were disappointed when we got to dinner that we were at a table all by ourselves. We asked to be seated with another family and were granted that request. The next cruise we went on we also requested a particular rotation. Again, when we got to dinner the first night, we were seated by ourselves and again, we asked to be reseated with a family, which was granted. When we booked our next cruise, I called to request a particular rotation and this time specifically asked that we not be seated by ourselves. I explained to the CM what had happened, and she told me that anytime you ask for a particular rotation, they will seat your family by itself. So, if our experience is anything close to what their policy represents, you might just ask for a particular dining rotation and if you do, you will probably get seated by yourselves.

Mary

Cruises:
Past: DCL Wonder, 5/2014; Golden Princess (Pacific Coastal, 11/13); DCL Fantasy (West. Caribbean, 5/2013); DCL Wonder (Alaska, 5/2012); DCL Wonder (Mex.Riviera, 10/2011); DCL Dream (Inaugural Cruise, 1/2011); RCI Monarch (Bahamas, 9/2009), DCL Wonder (Bahamas, 8/2008)
Future: DCL Magic (Eastern Caribbean) 10/26/14; DCL Wonder (CTNowhere), 5/15/2015; DCL Magic (Northern Europe) 5/30/15; DCL Wonder (CTNowhere), 10/9/2015; DCL Wonder (Baja, Calif) 10/11/2015

Theme Parks:
Disneyland (Too many to count); WDW (2013, 2011, 2009, 2008, 2006, 2004, 2002); Universal Orlando (Harry Potter; 2013, 2011); Universal LA (Numerous)

peterpan47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:03 PM   #11
StephenKay
DVC Member VWL 2001

Wink Same Experience

Hi there,

We cruised on the Dream last summer for 5 nights and had a similar experience to the OP. I almost got up and left the table due to the lack of seating bench space which left me trying to hold on to the seat as I was the last on the bench. We were seated with perfect tablemates who are old friends and there 3 older teenagers with perfect manners. In the Enchanted Garden we were placed on the extreme right near to some of these little enclosed rooms in the Royal Palace and I found these two dining rooms badly designed in the seating plan no the decor. The Annimators Palate was fine although you could see what was taking place in the dining room.

We are due to cruise in a couple of weeks over Christmas and we are hoping for a decent table this time and if we are seated with others then that's fine by us as I love to shoot the breeze with our American cousins.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:08 PM   #12
carpenta
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsyBabsy View Post
this thread is bringing back memories of trying to design the seating chart for my wedding!

I hope the wedding was an "open bar".........(at least for you)
carpenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:12 PM   #13
neg58
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenKay View Post
Hi there,

We are due to cruise in a couple of weeks over Christmas and we are hoping for a decent table this time and if we are seated with others then that's fine by us as I love to shoot the breeze with our American cousins.
Are you on the Wonder? Maybe it will be us!

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:18 PM   #14
RedSox68
DIS Veteran

Quote:

On 6 of our 9 Disney cruises we have always asked for a "4-topper) (table for 4) because there are three of us. We always get it. However, we do have a TA and maybe because of that they take special note?

Nov. 2000 -- Disney Wonder -- 4-night Bahama; Nov. 2002 -- Disney Magic 7-night Caribbean; Aug. 2004 -- Disney Magic 7-night Caribbean;
Aug. 2005 -- Disney Magic 14-night Panama Canal; Aug. 2006 -- Disney Wonder 10 night Southern Caribbean; Aug. 2007 -- Disney Magic 10-night Mediterranean
Aug. 2007 -- Disney Magic 14-night Transatlantic; Aug. 2008 -- NCL Pride of America -- 7-night Hawaiian & Vow Renewal; Oct. 2009 -- Disney Magic -- 7-night Caribbean
July 2010 -- RV "Land Cruise" -- 30-days covering the West; May 2011 -- Disney Dream -- 4-night Bahama
June 2011 -- RV "Land Cruise" -- 30-days finishing the West and South!
May 2012 -- HAL Zaandam -- 7-night Alaska cruise/12 night cruisetour (thus completing our 50th state!)
August 2013 -- Carnival Glory -- 4-night NYC to St John, NB
Sept 2013 -- HAL Eurodam -- 10-night Colors of Canada/NE Cruise from Quebec to NYC
Dec. 2014 -- Disney Fantasy 7-night Eastern with San Juan port (our platinum cruise & 4th Disney ship!)
August 2015 -- Royal Princess -- 12-night British Isles Cruise R/T from Southampton

January 2016 -- Wonder 7-night Southern Caribbean out of San Juan; February 2016 -- Wonder 5-night Repo from San Juan to Miami
RedSox68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:26 PM   #15
ZoeBell
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSox68

On 6 of our 9 Disney cruises we have always asked for a "4-topper) (table for 4) because there are three of us. We always get it. However, we do have a TA and maybe because of that they take special note?
I did ask the TA who booked for us. She put in the request and the usual " can't be guaranteed" response came back. Which I totally get. I knew the only thing she could do was request. I'll check the status when we board and beg a little if I have to.
ZoeBell is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: