Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2012, 08:52 PM   #16
mousefan5
Mouseketeer

I think Diana wants to be her own person not defined by magic and she wants her accomplishments to be her own and not with the help of magic.

Would I use magic? Oh yeah. I would use it for daily tasks such as cleaning, laundry, and cooking so I would have more time to so the things I like such as reading.
mousefan5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:00 PM   #17
nmoore14
Is there life outside of Disney? If so, I don't want to know about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UConnFan View Post
Da-da-da-da!!! It's discussion time! Feel free to answer this question or share any other thoughts you had.

Diana has worked hard to make her academic work her own, without the influence of magic. Why do you think this is so important to her?
If you had magical powers would you use it to get ahead?
I think Diana does not want to acknowledge that she can do magic because of personal experiences. Those experiences and watching how her parents used magic had a huge impact on the way she feels about magic.

Personally, if I had magical powers I would not use them to get ahead, but if my powers were as strong as Diana's, I might not be able to prevent myself from using my powers (I would "help" myself win the lottery though ).
nmoore14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:37 PM   #18
mousefan5
Mouseketeer

Ok it has been snowing like crazy here in Iowa so what do you do when you are stuck inside. Read! Havin a hard time putting the book down so I will be done way ahead of schedule.
mousefan5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:15 PM   #19
CDolacki2003
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UConnFan
Da-da-da-da!!! It's discussion time! Feel free to answer this question or share any other thoughts you had.

Diana has worked hard to make her academic work her own, without the influence of magic. Why do you think this is so important to her?
If you had magical powers would you use it to get ahead?
I think it gives her a sense of identity that also separates her from her famous ancestor. She sees to want to make her own mark on history.
As far as using magic myself, yeah I would love to. It would be nice to use it for housekeeping and such like her aunt. Maybe a lottery number or two would be nice also

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

CDolacki2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:29 PM   #20
WorldWacky
DIS Veteran

I'm really enjoying the book. I actually voted for the other choice, but like it a lot.

I think part of her is afraid of losing control in the same way her mother did.

Would I use magic? Yes, even if it were to just add more hours to the day so I could get things done the "human" way. There's never enough time is there?!
WorldWacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 12:47 PM   #21
Soarin Hubby
Mouseketeer

Merry Christmas to all.
Cruises: the Magic in '02 (eastern), '03 (western); the Wonder in '07, '08 (DVC), '10 (Halloween), '11 (Alaska) & '12 (Hawaii); Dream 3x's in 2012, 2x's in Apr '13, Jun '13, Oct '13 (Halloween), Jan 2014 & the Fantasy in Aug & Nov 2013. Bought DVC in '06 and use for DL, WDW resorts & cruises.

Soarin Hubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:48 PM   #22
DisneylandDeeDee
Mouseketeer

I hope it is not too late to join in the book club at the last minute. Everyone's comments so far have been great to read. I have been enjoying the book despite the fact that I have never been a fan of first person fiction. I am on the edge of my seat waiting to see what will happen next.

Diana has worked hard in her chosen field without the influence of magic because she is an intelligent woman who wants to "own" her achievements without help from her witchcraft powers.
If I had the power would I use witchcraft? As others have said, yes, for the every day tasks on occasion. Dishes and laundry!!! And traffic. I feel that my "self worth" would suffer if I didn't work for what I had.

Last edited by DisneylandDeeDee; 12-24-2012 at 12:01 AM.
DisneylandDeeDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:04 AM   #23
*NikkiBell*
The WDW Merchandise Walking Bible

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneylandDeeDee View Post
I hope it is not too late to join in the book club at the last minute. Everyone's comments so far have been great to read. I have been enjoying the book despite the fact that I have never been a fan of first person fiction. I am on the edge of my seat waiting to see what will happen next.

Diana has worked hard in her chosen field without the influence of magic because she is an intelligent woman who wants to "own" her achievements without help from her witchcraft powers.
If I had the power would I use witchcraft? As others have said, yes, for the every day tasks on occasion. Dishes and laundry!!! And traffic. I feel that my "self worth" would suffer if I didn't work for what I had.
I only had a chance to begin reading the day. I look forward to hearing more of your thoughts!

Just a suggestion, would anyone mind if we put the last page we read at the top of our post? This way those of us who are behind the reading schedule know whether or not there could be a spoiler in the post.

disboards.com/blog.wdwinfo.com
Follow Me on Twitter

2011 - GC, Swan 2010 - AKLV
2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site
*NikkiBell* is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:31 PM   #24
CDolacki2003
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by *NikkiBell* View Post
I only had a chance to begin reading the day. I look forward to hearing more of your thoughts!

Just a suggestion, would anyone mind if we put the last page we read at the top of our post? This way those of us who are behind the reading schedule know whether or not there could be a spoiler in the post.
I think that's a good idea Nikki. I am glad you chose to pick it up, I cannot believe how much I am enjoying it and this thread. I always lurked in the past when you had the book club and regret not jumping in and participating.

Old 01-01-2013, 12:34 PM   #25
*NikkiBell*
The WDW Merchandise Walking Bible

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDolacki2003

I think that's a good idea Nikki. I am glad you chose to pick it up, I cannot believe how much I am enjoying it and this thread. I always lurked in the past when you had the book club and regret not jumping in and participating.
Well I'm so glad you are here now!!

A couple of thoughts this afternoon...I just finished Page 63....

- When Diana meets Agatha in the cafe, she uses Matthew's name as if Agatha would know him. Why is that? Why did she assume Agatha would know who he was? That threw me.

- Diana has a very intense and vivid dream about drowning in the beginning of Chapter 7. After getting sick, she sleeps for a few hours and then decides to go rowing on the lake. Why'd she do this after her dream? I would think that she would skip it for a day.

- Anyone find it odd how creatures like vamps and daemons just hang around Oxford? It's like they're just normal citizens. Was this how society felt or is this just us looking at thjngs through Diana's eyes? Agatha said humans abandon their children if they're daemons. Obviously there's some knowledge then. Is anyone else finding this conscious awareness of the creatures in the human world odd?

disboards.com/blog.wdwinfo.com
Follow Me on Twitter

2011 - GC, Swan 2010 - AKLV
2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site
*NikkiBell* is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:23 PM   #26
Stacy's a freak
wrangles snakes

I'm about 20% in (don't know the page since I'm reading on the Kindle). I agree that she wants to be known for her smarts and not her magical power. But I also think she is afraid of it. Clearly her mom and dad were very powerful and it ruined them. I think she's afraid of destroying herself with her own power.
Me? I would use it for some things like others have said. I doubt I would be the type to want to rule the world with my uber power (bwahaha) but it would make life a lot easier. Leaky roof? BAM! All fixed. Need a new coat? SHAZAM, it appears. Want to go on a trip? ZING! There in a flash.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:45 PM   #27
CDolacki2003
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by *NikkiBell* View Post
Well I'm so glad you are here now!!

A couple of thoughts this afternoon...I just finished Page 63....

- When Diana meets Agatha in the cafe, she uses Matthew's name as if Agatha would know him. Why is that? Why did she assume Agatha would know who he was? That threw me.

- Diana has a very intense and vivid dream about drowning in the beginning of Chapter 7. After getting sick, she sleeps for a few hours and then decides to go rowing on the lake. Why'd she do this after her dream? I would think that she would skip it for a day.

- Anyone find it odd how creatures like vamps and daemons just hang around Oxford? It's like they're just normal citizens. Was this how society felt or is this just us looking at thjngs through Diana's eyes? Agatha said humans abandon their children if they're daemons. Obviously there's some knowledge then. Is anyone else finding this conscious awareness of the creatures in the human world odd?
I too have found a few inconsistancies but overall I think the book is interesting.

I dont think I would be going anywhere near water if I just dreampt about drowning to the point I got sick.

I would have liked the abandoned child idea explained a little more, do the parents think the children are evil or are they placed into an asylem??? She keeps referring to the fact that if to many otherworldly gather then they draw attention to themselves from the humans. It is obvious that some humans know about the existance of vampires, witches and daemons; look at Matthews friends butler, I believe he is human.

I find her spin on the creatures to be new, she throws out all our preconcieved Hollywood notions of vampires: they dont sparkle, burn up in sunlight, they eat food, dont sleep in coffins, etc... This makes the story fresh and not a cookiecutter supernatural story.

I am a little farther than the planned reading so I hope I did not talk to far ahead.

Old 01-09-2013, 07:59 AM   #28
Stacy's a freak
wrangles snakes

I am on Chapter 20 so I hope I am not going to give anything away, but has anyone else been thrown by the idea of Matthew's "son"? When we first meet this person, we have no idea of his relevance. Then, just a chapter or so later the idea of Matthew's "son" is mentioned about 5 times in just a few pages. The way it was omitted and then repeated over and over, makes me think that it was an after thought or something. Or maybe I missed a clue at his first introduction. I guess I feel like the author is shoving the idea down our throats - we get it. He has a "son".

Anyway, I'm enjoying the book in general but I keep wondering why a person would be attracted to a cold vampire. Who wants to snuggle up to someone cold? Or maybe it's just me, being from the cold northeast, that wants to be near a warm being - haha.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:09 PM   #29
UConnFan
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacy's a freak View Post
I am on Chapter 20 so I hope I am not going to give anything away, but has anyone else been thrown by the idea of Matthew's "son"? When we first meet this person, we have no idea of his relevance. Then, just a chapter or so later the idea of Matthew's "son" is mentioned about 5 times in just a few pages. The way it was omitted and then repeated over and over, makes me think that it was an after thought or something. Or maybe I missed a clue at his first introduction. I guess I feel like the author is shoving the idea down our throats - we get it. He has a "son".

Anyway, I'm enjoying the book in general but I keep wondering why a person would be attracted to a cold vampire. Who wants to snuggle up to someone cold? Or maybe it's just me, being from the cold northeast, that wants to be near a warm being - haha.

I know...I thought the son reference was kind of weird. It was an awkward transition.

Overall I'm really enjoying the book! Sorry I've been MIA for so long. I promise I'm back for good :-) I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday!

I've been thinking about why Matthew is attracted to Diana. If I was thousands of years old, I would think I'd be bored, not in love like I'd never been in love before. Do you think her magic has anything to do with this attraction?

How are you enjoying the book so far? Do you like the Matthew Diana connection? What has been your favorite part?

31 Bag Fundraiser All Proceeds Go to GKTW!

We won a trip to Disney World! Now what...? (a pre-trip report)

August 4-15, 2014 - Port Orleans Riverside
December 6-9 2013 Disapalooza - Pop Century
May 19-26 2013 Disneymoon at Pop Century
December 17-21 2012 - Pop Century
New Years 2010/2011 - Pop Century
July 2010
April 2005 - Fort Wilderness Campground
June 2004
UConnFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:34 PM   #30
msande
Earning My Ears

good book

This was a really good book. I will not spoil it for every one. I finished it the first week and bought the second in the series.

The charactors are more complex than they seem at first. Diana seems boring and withdrawn, Matthew seems cold and calculating. It was very interesting to me to watch them evolve as the story is told.

Michaelle
msande is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: