Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2012, 05:02 PM   #16
Magalex
DIS Veteran

We are WDW vets but we are excited to make our first visit to DL in July. We have our flight reservations. Carsland is just part of our new experience besides any Carsland addition at WDW will still be a few years away! Now I have to get back to deciding on an Anaheim motel
WDW 2010-POP
WDW 2012-CBR
DL/DCA 2013-Candy Cane Inn
WDW and Sea World Orlando June 2014- The "B" resort in DTD
WDW 2015-POR
Magalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:23 PM   #17
ValpoCory
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchOwl View Post
What is going to be the premier ride in the DHS Carsland? They already have a Test Track ride and that is what RSR is based on. So are they going to have two rides based on the same technology or will they get an entirely new kind of ride?
There are many rides in WDW that utilize the same technology (see Dumbo, Magic Carpets of Aladdin, TriceraTop Spin, Astro Orbitor, etc.). No doubt, RSR will be the main attraction.
ValpoCory is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-05-2012, 06:26 PM   #18
DLR29
We're cheap college kids
It's all in how you tour
We wouldn't want to be left on a cliffhanger

I am disappointed that WDW is receiving yet another copy of something that makes DLR unique. Soarin, Toy Story, Ariel, and now Cars Land are all original attraction concepts for DCA that have been copied exactly over in Florida, although the current 3 have much better queues (whoop dee doo?).

I get it from a business perspective. I am a business student. I understand that this is a $ decision. Cars Land was/is wildly successful for DCA. It makes sense to want to take that concept and introduce it into a similar market where it should be equally as successful.

It also makes sense because there is not a large overlap between the different audiences. We're biased here on the DISboards because it's almost assumed that sometime during your lifetime, you'll visit both DLR and WDW, but that's not the case for a huge majority of people. DCA can still advertise Cars Land heavily in California, which is where they receive most of their customers.

But from a Disney fan perspective I'm not in favor. It will be interesting to see what kind of changes will occur. Will they put in a Luigi's Flying Tires? What will Radiator Springs Racers look like? Will they build a massive mountain range? My guess is that it will be cool but on a much smaller scale than the original. We'll see.

I do wonder, though, if the novelty/hype will die down before it has a chance to open. I fear this with Harry Potter coming to Universal Studios in a couple years here in Hollywood. The problem may be the gap between the announcement and the actual opening. It will take a while to build a whole new Cars Land. It was a brilliant decision for 2012 at a semi-struggling new Disney park. Will it still be a good and relevant decision in 2-3 years? Again, we'll see.
DLR29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:45 PM   #19
Sweettears
50 years of Disney and counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValpoCory View Post
There are many rides in WDW that utilize the same technology (see Dumbo, Magic Carpets of Aladdin, TriceraTop Spin, Astro Orbitor, etc.). No doubt, RSR will be the main attraction.
Also the omnimover system. (HM,LM and Nemo) And aren't Pirates, Splash and Maelstrom basically the same system?
Sweettears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:58 PM   #20
bcla
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweettears View Post
Also the omnimover system. (HM,LM and Nemo) And aren't Pirates, Splash and Maelstrom basically the same system?
I sort of miss Adventure Thru Inner Space. When I was a kid I could have sworn I saw real people moving and making expressions in that shrink ray gun. When I was older I recognized it was just a bunch of figurines.
bcla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:13 PM   #21
Sweettears
50 years of Disney and counting

I think it would be fantastic to have another ride that uses the same system as TT. Always been one of my favorites and besides being in a car on a track I can't see how anyone would think RSR is a copy of TT.

Last edited by Sweettears; 12-05-2012 at 09:14 PM.
Sweettears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:12 PM   #22
danlkrim
Mouseketeer

I like it

I am glad to hear that Carsland will be coming to DHS. Like DCA, DHS could use a few more attractions and this will fit in great. Someone on another similar thread suggested they incorporate the Cars 2 locations. That could be an interesting way to make it unique. Anyway it will be a couple of years before it can be built so DCA will have it exclusively for quite a while.
I like to think of it as being similar to what happens with a chain restaurant or clothing store. When you walk into a location of a national chain restaurant you know about what you will get. Locations tailor things to meet the local tastes and local market of course. But Chilis chips & salsa is about the same in Denver, Houston, Philadelphia and Atlanta. When you have a great concept, expansion often follows.
Walt Disney World Feb 2012
Disneyland and California Adventure Feb 2013
WDW Nov 2013, Jan, Feb, April 2014,
danlkrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:52 AM   #23
bcla
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweettears View Post
I think it would be fantastic to have another ride that uses the same system as TT. Always been one of my favorites and besides being in a car on a track I can't see how anyone would think RSR is a copy of TT.
Not necessarily a copy, but the basic technology is that of a thrill ride. Even with minimal dressing up of the overall ride, it would be a pretty good thrill ride.

The OmniMover system was brought up, and that system in and of itself is supremely boring. It's simply a transportation system designed to move people through scenes.
bcla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:42 PM   #24
starshine514
DIS Veteran

Personally, I think it's a great idea. DHS needs something and Carsland has been a huge success. Business-wise, it may make more sense to have something different, but I just think it's neat that DHS is getting something cool.
Disneyland Trips -1983, 1986, May 2011 - Desert Inn & Suites, August 2011 - Super 8 on Katella, November 2011 - Desert Inn & Suites, December 2011 - Quality Inn on Manchester, January 2012 - Desert Inn & Suites, March 2012 - Desert Inn & Suites, May 2012 - Del Sol Inn, September 2012 - Del Sol Inn, November 2012 - Del Sol Inn, January 2013 - Ramada Maingate, February 2013 - Quality Inn on Manchester, April 2013 - Del Sol Inn, May 2013 - Hojo, August 2013 - Del Sol Inn, September 2013 - Desert Inn & Suites, November 2013 (one day trip!) - Welk Resort San Diego, September 2014 - Halloween Party! - Welk Resort San Diego
Disney World Trips - July 1988, January 2010 - Sheraton Vistana Resort, November 2010 (work trip - no family along) - Coronado Springs Resort

starshine514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:45 PM   #25
Meech Loves Mickey
Mouseketeer

I think it's great idea!

I think it's a great idea that they are building Carsland in HS. It's about time they have more attractions geared to boys in WDW.

As WDW vets, we just got back from our first trip to DL to specifically see Carsland. While that was our main purpose for the visit, we really enjoyed all the different things that DL and DCA had. DL's POTC is far superior than the POTC at WDW. My older DS kept saying to me during the ride "Mommy, this is different that Disney World!" He was super excited! And my kids also LOVED LOVED LOVED HM Holiday. These are things that will always be unique to DL and things that we will always come back to see!

DH and I were already talking about planning our next visit in a few years.......

~ May 2014 WDW Bay Lake Tower ~ Feb 2014 Disneyland Resort (Solo Trip!) ~ May 2013 WDW Bay Lake Tower ~ Dec 2012 Disneyland & Disney California Adventure ~ May 2012 WDW Bay Lake Tower ~ Oct 2011 WDW Animal Kingdom Lodge & Dream Cruise ~ May 2011 WDW Swan ~ Dec 2010 WDW Coronado Springs ~ Sept 2009 WDW Port Orleans French Quarter ~ Oct 2008 WDW Hilton at Downtown Disney ~ Nov 2005 Disneyland ~ May 2002 WDW Off Property ~ March 2001 WDW Off Property
Meech Loves Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:23 PM   #26
Disney Dreams
Proudly afflicted with TDMA!
Major pin collector in denial

What makes something special is that it is unique. I don't want to see a Cars Land when I go to WDW. If I wanted that, I'd go to DLR.

If that's the logic, where's Beast's Castle going in at DLR? Where's Belle's gorgeous restaurant going in at DLR? WDW has its entire Fantasyland Expansion which is special to WDW (minus Ariel's, but even that has a spectacular queue). What happens at one Park does not have to happen at the other. Keep Cars Land special to DLR.

- Dreams

Disney Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:34 PM   #27
dalstitch45
DIS Veteran

I still love WDW, but I am an East Coaster who definitely loves DLR better now. I am not surprised Carsland is coming to WDW, with all the money it is generating for DCA. I did talk to a few CM's over the last few months, who say there is going to be more mirroring of the parks. A lot of the park merchandise is generic to both parks already.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: