Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2012, 01:36 PM   #1
ImTooExcitedToSleep
Disneyland Correspondent for The DIS UnpluggedI'll try to pop in later
Doh! Yeah, that one

CarsLand coming to Disney Hollywood Studios in Florida...how does this affect DCA?

The DIS has confirmed from multiple sources that Disney will officially announce this week that they are bringing CarsLand to Disney's Hollywood Studios.

http://www.wdwinfo.com/news/Theme_Pa...ing_to_DHS.htm

How do you feel about this as it relates to California Adventure?

I'm withholding judgment until I hear more...not liking it right now though.
ImTooExcitedToSleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:49 PM   #2
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Well Tom,

First off, you gotta figure it's at least 3 years off, right? That's a pretty long time to have it be exclusive to DCA.

Second, my guess is there will be some amount of variation, though maybe not as much as in some other cloned sections.

Third, I am still not sure that there is a HUGE amount of cross-draw between DL and WDW. We are East coasters, and just recently made our first DL trip. While we are going out for the DIS Backstage Magic tour this year, I think it VERY unlikely that we make another trip to Disneyland within the next 5 years or so, Carsland or not. Likewise, I don't think a west coaster will suddenly stop going to DLR because there's now a Carsland in Florida.

1971 - 1982 Many childhood trips May 1997 - Off-site w/ DGF (now DW) October 2000 - Off-site w/ DW - 1st AK
October 14-20,2006 - First on-site (POFQ), first w/ DD3 and DMIL. September 22-29, 2007 with freinds @ POFQ! August 23-31, 2008. Just us 3...dining for free!
December 12-20, 2009 - 40th Birthday trip! Trip Report April 20-25, 2010 - Short surprise trip for DD! Trip Report
October 15-25, 2010 @ AKL Trip Report!
November 11-20, 2011 - Free dining at CBR! PTR! and Trip Report
July/August 2012 Disneyland / Australia TripPTR "I choose to Be Amused" TR
The Disney Trifecta - a PTR for 2013. LINK Trip Reports - ABD: "A Fistful of Fastpasses" WDW: "For A Few Fastpasses More" DCL: "Once Upon a Time in the Carribean"

October 2014 Pre Trip Report- "Let us plan our Escape !" LINK NEW TR
skier_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-05-2012, 01:52 PM   #3
longhorns2
DIS Veteran

It will be interesting to see. I am glad they are doing something with DHS and think Carsland fits in nicely back there by Pixar Place... but I can also understand DCAs wanting to keep this awesome area to themselves.

I agree with PP west coast/east coast thing. Those of us in the middle with a choice- well, we will have to see. I know a couple of Texas families who are making or made their first trips to DL due to Carsland. Will have to see how things play out in a couple of years.

Mother runner blogger who loves Disney & family. Working on leading My No-Guilt Life- letting go of the guilt and finding other things to hold on to.

Join me in my DietBet starting July 14!

My No-Guilt Life
longhorns2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:27 PM   #4
DSNY4ever
I am going to keep hunting around
I will cross my fingers for both of us

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImTooExcitedToSleep View Post
I'm withholding judgment until I hear more...not liking it right now though.
I won't...I'll judge now I wish they would do different things instead of just building copies of attractions/lands at both resorts. I visit both and I enjoy seeing different things in each spot and it gives us a "reason" to change it up every few years. I love having different things to get excited about when I go to each resort. I skip things like Soarin when I go to WDW because I feel like I am wasting my time, and we spend the majority of our time in Epcot and Animal Kingdom doing things that we can't see/do in California.

Disneyland at the Holidays, here we come!
DSNY4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:37 PM   #5
Avery's mom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSNY4ever View Post
I won't...I'll judge now I wish they would do different things instead of just building copies of attractions/lands at both resorts. I visit both and I enjoy seeing different things in each spot and it gives us a "reason" to change it up every few years. I love having different things to get excited about when I go to each resort. I skip things like Soarin when I go to WDW because I feel like I am wasting my time, and we spend the majority of our time in Epcot and Animal Kingdom doing things that we can't see/do in California.
I feel the exact same way! I do the things at WDW that we can't do at DL - like Epcot (except for Soarin') and AK. I like being able to experience different attractions/lands on both coasts. Although I do wish we had a Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom or Agent P adventure here at DL - some interactive, scavenger hunt-like attraction would be nice!

WDW - Coronado Springs - Oct. 2012
WDW - Art of Animation - Oct. 2012
Disney Dream - Oct. 2012
Disneyland Paris - May 2012
Disneyland Hotel - Feb. 2012
Disney Wonder - Nov. 2011
Disney Dream - Feb. 2011
WDW - ASM - Feb. 2011
WDW - ASM - Oct. 2010
WDW - OffSite - Dec. 2008
WDW - OffSite - Oct. 2006
Grand Californian - Oct. 2004
WDW - CBR - Oct 1993
WDW - Off-Site (first visit) - March 1992

Me DH DD DS
Avery's mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:38 PM   #6
pikaboo27
I knew I could count on you!

I'm not worried. There is no way the suits at WDW are going to be willing to pay what is is required to recreate Carsland properly. At best, it will be a cheapo version of the amazing land we see at DCA.

Besides, in 3 years, we'll be on our way to an amazing new Tomorrowland at DL...

pikaboo27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:38 PM   #7
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSNY4ever View Post
I'm sort of hoping what they do is "clone" RSR, (But maybe with luck change up the track layout somewhat, or even include Catastrophe Canyon!), but change up the other two rides for something different. The smartest move for them to do is the same but different, KWIM.

1971 - 1982 Many childhood trips May 1997 - Off-site w/ DGF (now DW) October 2000 - Off-site w/ DW - 1st AK
October 14-20,2006 - First on-site (POFQ), first w/ DD3 and DMIL. September 22-29, 2007 with freinds @ POFQ! August 23-31, 2008. Just us 3...dining for free!
December 12-20, 2009 - 40th Birthday trip! Trip Report April 20-25, 2010 - Short surprise trip for DD! Trip Report
The Disney Trifecta - a PTR for 2013. LINK Trip Reports - ABD: "A Fistful of Fastpasses" WDW: "For A Few Fastpasses More" DCL: "Once Upon a Time in the Carribean"

Old 12-05-2012, 03:39 PM   #8
tinksdreamwishes
DIS Veteran

Location: Stockton,Ca- the second most miserable city in the US!

pretty much agree with Dsny4ever - can we not have just something special? SMH- went to the World last year and it pretty much blew away the Land in the resort options and many park options, and dont forget all those water parks and the Downtown area- Now- we will er most will appreciate the Earl of Sand- going to DL- Thanks for sharing that ! LOL- Miss the Electric Parade that used to be only at DL- now the World has- I am not hating on either park- but if Disney wants to "make as much money out folks" would be kinda wise to keep certain things at the Land and the World- so visitors will want to spend more of there hard earned money so they can visit both CA and FL- JMO.

"When the first baby laughed for the first time, its laugh broke into a thousand pieces, and they all went skipping about, and that was the beginning of fairies."
~ Peter Pan
tinksdreamwishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:43 PM   #9
tinksdreamwishes
DIS Veteran

Location: Stockton,Ca- the second most miserable city in the US!

Also- if Disneyland had everything the World had. ..... Why would I want to visit the world? ETC ... why would folks want to go to DL if they have everything we have to offer at the World?
make my trips eventful, make new rides, make me WANT a new adventure, a new experience! Same things get old fast!

"When the first baby laughed for the first time, its laugh broke into a thousand pieces, and they all went skipping about, and that was the beginning of fairies."
~ Peter Pan
tinksdreamwishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:44 PM   #10
Sully14
Mouseketeer

Makes no difference to us NYers who have now gone 17 times to DLR and only twice to WDW (all since 1996).

CA is better all around....weather, cost, other things to do (Dodgers/Angels,UCLA football etc).
Sully14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:53 PM   #11
DisneyB
Mouseketeer

I'll speak as an east coaster and say I am psyched it is going in WDW. We are making our first trip to DL this coming summer and with flights alone around $2000 for the family I can't see us making another trip any time soon. By comparison we drive to WDW each year so this benefits a majority of the population in the same boat. I don't think having attractions at both will take anything away from the other. Also Harry Potter made Universal much more relevant recently and WDW needs to combat that.
DisneyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:57 PM   #12
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikaboo27 View Post
I'm not worried. There is no way the suits at WDW are going to be willing to pay what is is required to recreate Carsland properly. At best, it will be a cheapo version of the amazing land we see at DCA.

Besides, in 3 years, we'll be on our way to an amazing new Tomorrowland at DL...
Good point - wouldn't be surprised if that's the case. However, remember, probably 25-30 % of the cost is in the design work. WDW Carsland could well be a cheapo version and still be the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully14 View Post
Makes no difference to us NYers who have now gone 17 times to DLR and only twice to WDW (all since 1996).

CA is better all around....weather, cost, other things to do (Dodgers/Angels,UCLA football etc).
I have to imagine you are in the minority. We are in NY (Buffalo) and just the travel difference (2.5 hours @ $200 VS 7 hours @ $400 + 3 hour time change) completely knocks down my desire to go out there often. And I suppose if you are into professional sports then there is more in LA, but Florida does have a few other destinations. Honestly, we have a bunch of friends that are more typical Disney fans (trips every 2 or 3 years, don't pay much attention to the new attractions) and they didn't even really know that Carsland existed.

Speaking for myself - Carsland was not the draw to go to DLR - it was just a happy coincidence it opened right before we went. And regardless of how good it was, it wasn't good enough to draw me back versus WDW.

Overall, I would argue that the # of people that go to BOTH parks on a regular basis (say every 2-3 years) are in a very small minority, probably <10% and maybe <5%. And I would also argue that the people that DO that are likely the LEAST affected by what attractions they clone or don't clone.

The real long-term effect of Carsland in DCA is in making DCA a legitimate second gate that people target wanting to go to, not just an afterthought. Once the newness wear's off, it will continue to help spread attendance/crowds between the two parks and increase the capacity of the resort. None of these things will change when WDW opens the same ride.

The more I think about it, I think any negative impact on DLR itself will in fact be quite small.

SP

Old 12-05-2012, 04:09 PM   #13
Sully14
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier_pete View Post
I have to imagine you are in the minority. We are in NY (Buffalo) and just the travel difference (2.5 hours @ $200 VS 7 hours @ $400 + 3 hour time change) completely knocks down my desire to go out there often. And I suppose if you are into professional sports then there is more in LA, but Florida does have a few other destinations. Honestly, we have a bunch of friends that are more typical Disney fans (trips every 2 or 3 years, don't pay much attention to the new attractions) and they didn't even really know that Carsland existed.

SP
Last Christmas day, I had two windows open on the computer and I let my wife and 3 kids (then 13,16,18) vote for what would be my gift to them.
a) A direct flight from an airport 15 mins away (SWF) on Jet blue, to Orlando and we would stay at the Bay Lake Tower, with a Disney dining plan included or
b) a trip down to LGA (at least 90 minutes away), a long trip to LAX on Delta, a bus from LAX to DLR, and no dining plan, and no guarantee on where we would stay.
Didn't matter how much I tried to play up WDW or play down DLR, the vote was instantly 4-0 for CA.

And while pro sports isn't a big deal, I have seen the Mets in SD and the Yanks in Anaheim. May catch the Yankees in Dodger Stadium this summer !

Go on Pirates in WDW and then DLR....and that about sums up our feelings...

Maybe we are biased....in 2008 we won the dream suite with all frills attached including being the grand marshal of the parade !!!!
Sully14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:36 PM   #14
ArchOwl
The Highly Educated Owl

What is going to be the premier ride in the DHS Carsland? They already have a Test Track ride and that is what RSR is based on. So are they going to have two rides based on the same technology or will they get an entirely new kind of ride?
ArchOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:53 PM   #15
bakerudall
Real Boy

WDW can have PlanesLand when that movie comes out.

Or--light bulb--they could have CL2 with the Tokyo/Italy/London circuits. Each track could vary from calm/all-ages to fast w/height requirement.
bakerudall is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: