Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2012, 09:32 AM   #16
RitaE
DIS Veteran

Amazon has announced a new subscription program targeted for children called Kindle Free Time. It has unlimited time spent with selected apps, movies and books. Cost is $2.99 a month per child if you have Amazon Prime, maximum of $6.99 or $4.99 a month per child without Prime, maximum of $9.99

I did a quick scan of the books offered and it seems slanted toward the younger Grade School/Pre-school ages to me. Many of the movies and shows listed are already free with Amazon Prime.

http://www.amazon.com/b/?_encoding=U...ode=6183681011
RitaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:44 AM   #17
DisneyJunkie4
Earning My Ears

I would go with Kindle because I hear Bezos is experimenting with a Netflix for ebooks type thing. Would be in heaven if that was true.
DisneyJunkie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-06-2012, 11:45 AM   #18
disneylovero
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albort View Post
I believe Kindle would be better for future wise. With a Kindle + Amazon prime, you can also watch movies on Amazon site. Not too familiar with the Nook or Kindle though...
Agree.
disneylovero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:21 PM   #19
Myothername
DIS Veteran

I am also a Kindle person. I got the Kindle 2 a year and a half ago and literally read it every night. I am getting a Kindle Paperwhite for Christmas, the $119 version with the special offers. The special offers are just ads that pop up as the screen saver instead of just some other picture. It won't affect your reading and it is much cheaper. Also the charger I already have will work with the Paperwhite so that is not an issue for me. DH got a Nook Touch as a rebate for some tires he bought. He doesnt use it at all. I tried to use it but did not find it as user friendly as the Kindle but maybe it was just that I was used to the Kindle and did not have a need to use the Nook.

I am just now looking at the Pixel Ink thing on Facebook. There is a similar page on Facebook, KOTC (Kindle on the Cheap) that posts cheap and free books several times a day. There is one for Nook as well but I don't know the name.

If you think you will want to read outside at the pool or the beach the Kindle Fire or the Nook equivilant will not work that great. The glare is really bad. Before I got my first Kindle I was on vacation. While I was sitting at the pool there was someone on one side of me with the Kindle 2 and another lady with the Nook. I talked to both of them and looked at them and the lady with the Nook admitted it was hard to read in the bright sunshine. Something to consider.
Myothername is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:45 AM   #20
EnduringWone
Mouseketeer

I have a Nook Tablet and my third grade daughter has a Nook Color and we love them.
EnduringWone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:53 AM   #21
Ginny Favers
I told my husband I think they must put crack in it

I have a Kindle Fire, my parents have Nooks. They just ended up buying an iPad because they were unhappy with the selection of Apps for Nooks. If you're just going to use it for reading, then either will suit her needs, but if she is going to download and use apps, I would go with the Kindle. I love being able to read on it, then pass it to my kids when they want to play games-- lots of apps on there. LOVE my Kindle!
Ginny Favers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:52 AM   #22
dizcrazee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyJunkie4 View Post
I would go with Kindle because I hear Bezos is experimenting with a Netflix for ebooks type thing. Would be in heaven if that was true.
That would be great! I would switch to a Kindle for that feature if it happens. I use a Nook Simple Touch GlowLight right now, and I like it, but it's expensive to feed my reading habit. I have found some good deals, but I have already read most of the classics that are inexpensive or free. I read about 5-7 books a month, depending on their length and my schedule. I'm picky about what I read - I can't tolerate poorly written or cheesy fiction, and most of the better fiction is well over $10 per book.

I was interested to read the comments about self-publishing...I think I'll post a separate thread about that and see what people have to say on the topic.

Me DH DD:
dizcrazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:10 PM   #23
Hardy
Mouseketeer

I have a nook color that my 8 year old 4th grader loves to use. We really only use it for books and Netflix so that's all ill speak on. There is no lack of free books, plus the library has tons....we enjoy the in store feature of being able to read, I'm sure it's more of a preference thing so if she wants the nook, get a nook.

Pop Century/Wilderness Lodge/Boardwalk Villas - June 2013
Animal Kingdom Villas (Kidani) August 2012
Old Key West - August 2011
Beach Club Villas - January 2011
Animal Kingdom Villas (Kidani) and our 1st visit to Hogwarts! - October 2010
All Star Music/Saratoga Springs/Pop Century - March 2009
Caribbean Beach - October 2008
Port Orleans Riverside - October 2005
Offsite as a kid (what were my parents thinking?)
Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:19 PM   #24
MrsDuck
DIS Veteran

After much deliberation, I wound up going with the Kindle. Very happy with my purchase!
MrsDuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: