Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2012, 10:16 AM   #1
lsulindy
DIS Veteran

What should I do on check-in day/dd's birthday?

We arrive at LAX at 2:20 on a Saturday. This also happens to be my dd's birthday. We'll be arriving Saturday, Feb 9 and departing Saturday, Feb 16. Planned 4 park days, 1 SD zoo day, and 1 LA sightseeing day. With nothing scheduled for arrival day.

My first thoughts were to just have dinner at Goofy's Kitchen w/ a birthday cake on arrival day, and then hit the parks for the first time on Sunday. Wanted to avoid weekends, but I didn't think we'd be able to check-in across the street and then avoid the parks till Monday with my kiddos. Also, was thinking that we'd need that Sunday weekend night to see Fantasmic! and/or parade and/or the fireworks. But, now F! is going to be down. Based on prior year calendars, I think the parade will be shown during the week.

Now, I'm thinking maybe add a 5th day, for Saturday evening/afternoon. Get parade and fireworks done and then hopefully my kids will be fine with Sunday being the sightseeing day and moving that first full park day to Monday, giving us 4 full weekdays instead of that weekend day + 3 weekdays. I'd still like to do something for my dd's birthday though. I looked into the birthday party at Plaza Inn, but it's will be too early for us to get there from our flight. Also worth noting that this will be day 1 of a 2 hour time change. We're generally night owls, even the kids, but I don't know how late we'll be able to stay out.

Would we have time to arrive from LAX, stash our stuff at the hotel, eat at GK and still have enough time to make going to the park that day worth it, hopefully seeing parade and fireworks?

Also debating which day should be our zoo day. Was planning on Friday b/c that's the Friday before President's Day and I was thinking that the parks would get more crowded, but that's the first day that F! will be showing again, so do I want to do the zoo mid-week (bonus of breaking up our park days more) and then do DL on Friday even if it would be more crowded to see F!.

What would you do about F!?

I need to decide which days to make reservations for. I'd like to do Minnie's one morning. And need to know which 2 days to start looking for rental cars for.

Thanks for any help/thoughts.

A few trips as a kid, first in 1979 last in 1991.
Trips with dh and our kids:
April/May 2008 - Buena Vista Suites
March 2011 - Windsor Palms
February 2013 - Disneyland!! TR in progress!

Last edited by lsulindy; 12-05-2012 at 10:27 AM.
lsulindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:41 PM   #2
danaesacto
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsulindy View Post
We arrive at LAX at 2:20 on a Saturday. This also happens to be my dd's birthday. We'll be arriving Saturday, Feb 9 and departing Saturday, Feb 16. Planned 4 park days, 1 SD zoo day, and 1 LA sightseeing day. With nothing scheduled for arrival day.

My first thoughts were to just have dinner at Goofy's Kitchen w/ a birthday cake on arrival day, and then hit the parks for the first time on Sunday. Wanted to avoid weekends, but I didn't think we'd be able to check-in across the street and then avoid the parks till Monday with my kiddos. Also, was thinking that we'd need that Sunday weekend night to see Fantasmic! and/or parade and/or the fireworks. But, now F! is going to be down. Based on prior year calendars, I think the parade will be shown during the week.

Now, I'm thinking maybe add a 5th day, for Saturday evening/afternoon. Get parade and fireworks done and then hopefully my kids will be fine with Sunday being the sightseeing day and moving that first full park day to Monday, giving us 4 full weekdays instead of that weekend day + 3 weekdays. I'd still like to do something for my dd's birthday though. I looked into the birthday party at Plaza Inn, but it's will be too early for us to get there from our flight. Also worth noting that this will be day 1 of a 2 hour time change. We're generally night owls, even the kids, but I don't know how late we'll be able to stay out.

Would we have time to arrive from LAX, stash our stuff at the hotel, eat at GK and still have enough time to make going to the park that day worth it, hopefully seeing parade and fireworks?

Also debating which day should be our zoo day. Was planning on Friday b/c that's the Friday before President's Day and I was thinking that the parks would get more crowded, but that's the first day that F! will be showing again, so do I want to do the zoo mid-week (bonus of breaking up our park days more) and then do DL on Friday even if it would be more crowded to see F!.

What would you do about F!?

I need to decide which days to make reservations for. I'd like to do Minnie's one morning. And need to know which 2 days to start looking for rental cars for.

Thanks for any help/thoughts.
Okay most of this I'm not sure of- but one thing that comes to mind- the drive from Disneyland to SD zoo on a weekday- make sure you talk to a local to hear just how long it takes- it is quite a distance, and will take you longer than you think. I wouldn't expect to be able to see or do much in the actual park arriving in LA at 2:30. Why not have a birthday dinner at Rainforest Cafe? or Goofy's sounds good.

If it were me I would go into parks Sunday, then use Monday & Tuesday for sightseeing & SD Zoo. Back to the parks Weds-Fri. Yes, more crowded towards the end of the week, but several things restart Thursday and Friday and by then you will have seen and done so much it shouldn't bother you.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-06-2012, 01:11 PM   #3
Girimama33
"I've disgraced the forces of evil."

The parade should take place daily. If I were you, I would try and see F! on Friday...maybe you can reserve dessert seating for it. Fireworks will take place on the weekend, so you should be able to see them on Sunday. If they are not available on Sunday due to weather, hopefully you can catch them again on Friday.

I would advise against using a ticket on Saturday. You can do the cake at GK...that would be fun. They also have a Studio Disney 365 in DTD where she could get a rock star makeover...or perhalps take her to Build a Bear.

It takes about 2 hours to get from Anaheim to San Diego with no traffic. I think you may want to choose some of the weekdays to do your other sightseeing since you hope to catch the weekend entertainment.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:36 PM   #4
lsulindy
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the help. Maybe I should just stick with my original plan. I just started overthinking probably. I know we won't ever be able to do it all, but with the shortened hours, I was worried that I needed more time + more lower crowd days. I was also thinking that Sunday may be a better day for driving around with less traffic?

What do you mean by this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by danaesacto View Post
several things restart Thursday and Friday

Last edited by lsulindy; 12-06-2012 at 02:41 PM.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:51 PM   #5
Girimama33
"I've disgraced the forces of evil."

Other rides are coming out of refurbishment then, like Splash Mountain and Mad Tea Pary.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:28 PM   #6
danaesacto
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girimama33 View Post
Other rides are coming out of refurbishment then, like Splash Mountain and Mad Tea Pary.
That's what I meant Thanks Girimama33
Old 12-06-2012, 09:48 PM   #7
lsulindy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girimama33 View Post
Ahh, yes. I knew those were reopening Friday. I wouldn't mind missing Splash. I never tell my kids no, b/c I don't want to be "that mom" that's too prissy to get wet. But, I don't enjoy walking around wet! But, I know my kids will enjoy it. And, we all definitely would like to do the Tea Cups. That's just classic Disney to us and my daughter knows that the Disneyland version doesn't have a cover and wanted to ride for sure.

Which is another reason I was thinking of added Sat evening, and cutting out Sunday, b/c if I add the more crowded Friday, do I want to cut the more crowded Sunday? If we don't do Saturday, there's no way I can skip Sunday in the parks and not go to a park till Monday. My kids will revolt!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: