DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2012, 11:02 AM   #1
Goofy&Sleepy
Mouseketeer

Short trip...going w/o KIDS...feeling guilty!

Decided a little over a month ago (after coming back from Oct trip w/girls 10 &7) that there were things we wanted to do w/o them (& not hear them complain about). . Got a $80 flight (into Sanford but ok) so booked SSR (THEN BCV came thru last week which is GREAT b/c we LOVE Epcot/Studios at Christmas). Inlaws coming in & we leave next Friday & return on Monday. NOW I am OVERCOME w/guilt! STILL haven't told them. Did WDW on honeymoon & 5th year anniversary (when we bought into DVC 11 years ago). Have NEVER taken a trip w/o them to the World. They DO go 2x/year so I SHOULDN"T feel bad...or should I! This is OUR Christmas present to each other btw....& it's kind of for them as we want to see how the flight goes as I am planning the Princess 1/2 in Feb. (usually drive 9hrs) & we ARE surprising them w/a quick trip! SHOULD WE TELL THEM we're going next week or not??? Anybody else go w/o kids. Of course, friends think we're crazy but I know my fellow disers would understand (?) Right?!
Goofy&Sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:05 AM   #2
erionm
DIS Veteran

Don't have kids, but you do deserve some adult alone time every once in a while don't you?
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-05-2012, 11:10 AM   #3
Maleficent53
Have fun storming the castle...

As long as you are not leaving the kids home alone, unsupervised, you have no reason to feel guilty! You and your husband need and deserve some alone time and WDW is the perfect place for that. Go and have a great time!

BTW - over the years I took many trips without the kids. They didn't resent it because they always knew that there would be one with them in the near future.

1979-1983-1988-1989-1992-1993-1995-1996-1997-1998-1999-2000---and at least once every year since!
Maleficent53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:19 AM   #4
lisaviolet
Happy DVC Owner

Stop it!

You are thinking of your children by having a wonderful time with your husband.

Okay, this is a tad off topic and on a soapbox .... are you ready?

I honestly feel like there would be a lot less divorce if couples took this part of their life more seriously. Or maybe if mothers took this part of their lives more seriously. My parents have been married 56 years. They ALWAYS took adult time. Regular adult time/parties. And adult trips. (For the most part short weekends in the area but still did it.)

What did I think as a child? HATED it. Of course. I wanted to go. Oh well for me. But as an adult I say good for them. GOOD FOR THEM. And I celebrate that part of their life - do not resent it in the least.

We had inexpensive family trips of course. Camping. Once a family trip to WDW in 1974. I can't believe they afforded that. Okay I'm ramblin'.

So GO. NO guilt. Have a wonderful time.

Last edited by lisaviolet; 12-05-2012 at 02:47 PM.
lisaviolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:25 AM   #5
backyardponder
DIS Veteran

Go and have a great time. We often watch our grandkids so their parents can go somewhere. Our job is to spoil them and they love it and don't resent anything.

Since you are at the BC, in the evening be sure to check out Jellyrolls which is an adult only dueling piano bar on the Boardwalk, near the Atlantic Dance Hall. Fantastic entertainment. There is a cover charge ($10 - $15). You can't charge your drinks to your Disney room, but they do take all the normal credit cards...and cash as well!
backyardponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:27 AM   #6
Kristibo42
DIS Veteran

We have taken 2 trips without kids. We usually go every year so they were only sad a little but understood. She had fun with the grandparents so it all worked out. We are taking another adult only one next year.

Next trip July 2016 POP and AOA about 70 people
Dec. 2013 Pop Century to celebrate 25 anniversary Adults only
All Star Sports family trip 25 people Feb 2011
Pop Century September. 2009
Pop Century Adults only 20 year anniversary Dec 2008
Pop Century Big family trip 42 people July 2007
Contemporary and All Star Music Dec. 2006
All Star Music June 2005
Port Orleans- Riverside and Disney Wonder Nov. 2002
6th grade trip To Magic Kingdom had my first kiss on Tom Sawyers Island June 1977
Kristibo42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:15 PM   #7
crazybones27
DVC Member

We have now done two trips to WDW without our children. They are only 4 and 3 now. I felt guilty for not bringing them, but we really needed the break to enjoy each other. Our kids actually loved being with their grandparents so much they cried when we came home. Now later in life we might not get the same reaction, but for now it seems like the break is good all around. I do think sometimes the kids need a break from us too .

No matter what there is always a little guilt that goes with a trip without them because you think of what you could be doing with them while there. Just remember they'll be back with you in no time having fun .
crazybones27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:19 PM   #8
stmize
Dvc member since Nov 2010--WDW mom of ds 17 & dd 14

Dh and I are doing just this prior to an adult only cruise on the dream next mo
Old 12-05-2012, 12:21 PM   #9
BabsBunny
Mouseketeer

Lisaviolet is right. My kids are in their late teens, and I'm seeing my peers' marriages drop like flies. I think one of the culprits is that couples often make everything so about their kids that when those kids get older and more independent, mom and dad look at each other and realize they've neglected their relationship and there is nothing there.

I don't know whether you should tell the kids or not. That's up to you. Personally, I'd probably tell them when we got home (with a nice present in tow lol). Kids are ninjas, so they'd probably find out somehow anyway.

Have a great time!

DVC Fan and AKV Owner
BabsBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:21 PM   #10
DannysMom
DIS Veteran

I only wish I had someone willing to take my kids for a weekend, so we could do an adults only trip! Go. Have fun! (I'm jealous! ) ;-)

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards App, please excuse any typos or autocorrects!
Old 12-05-2012, 12:21 PM   #11
Goofy&Sleepy
Mouseketeer

Thanks all! Felt like I'd get support here. We both work full time so that adds to my guilt (being away from them) but it is a VERY short trip. Don't think I'll do DH idea & FACETIME them from the castle though....
Goofy&Sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:25 PM   #12
BabsBunny
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofy&Sleepy View Post
Thanks all! Felt like I'd get support here. We both work full time so that adds to my guilt (being away from them) but it is a VERY short trip. Don't think I'll do DH idea & FACETIME them from the castle though....
I bet if you posted this on CB, you'd get at least a couple responses telling you that your kids are only little for a short while and that they would NEVER do such an abusive thing as leave the snowflakes home with grandma and grandpa for a few nights.

DVC Fan and AKV Owner
BabsBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:28 PM   #13
DisneyRegulars
DIS Veteran

We went alone for our 10 year anniversary this summer. I didn't feel guilty leaving my 2 year old son with grandma, if anything it made me want to buy more points so we can go every year. Go! Have fun! And don't worry about the kids.

Trip report from our first DVC trip: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2864556
Plus our Anniversary Vacation: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2954701
Trip report with a potty training toddler: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2987412
I survived a trip with MIL: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3040750
A Magic Kingdom Ultimate Tour Adventure http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...92&postcount=1
First trip with Magic Bands http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3170056
Post Holiday Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3201404
Non-Fancy Fanatics at VGF http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3268362
Sept '03 (All Star Sports, DH's first trip) || March '04 (Travelodge) || March '05 (Star Island) || XMAS '06 (All Star Vacation Home) || March '07 (POP, Deluxe Dining Plan) || March '09 (POP) || June '09 Disney Land || April '11 (All Star Vacation Home, DS's first trip-14m) || January '12 (OKW, first DVC trip) || July '12 (Boardwalk, Anniversary Trip) || Sept '12 (AKV) || Jan '13 (AKV) || July '13 (SSR, Anniversary Trip) || September '13 (SSR) || January '14 (Boardwalk, AKV) || May '14 (VGF and Expedition Everest Challenge)
DisneyRegulars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:35 PM   #14
rmcildw2m
Mouseketeer

don't we as parents deserve time away from the kidds now and again.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:15 PM   #15
WonderinAland
Mouseketeer

For the last several years I've done one worse (or better??) and gone on an adults-only, girls-only trip. Left the kids at home with my (great) husband. A couple times we've done races, but this year we're giving up that pretense and are hitting a spa instead!
Eagerly looking forward to adult-only trips with my husband, but we have a hard time convincing the grands to watch the kids. We are in the process of buying some BWV points resale for future F&W long weekends...
So don't feel guilty!

1976 - first trip with parents offsite, 1991 - first trip with BF (now husband) offsite, 1992 - offsite, 1995 - Dolphin, 2002 - YC, 10/2003 - BWV, 12/2003 - Renaissance Sea World, 2004 - WL, 2005 - CR, DCL, offsite, 2006 - CSR, Hilton concierge, SSR, 2007 - Poly concierge, 2008 - POFQ, 3/2009 - Poly concierge too many to list now that we're DVC members...

WonderinAland is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: