Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2012, 08:10 PM   #16
Brynnie
Mouseketeer

I use a small wristlet. It's perfect...KTTWC, chapstick, lipgloss fit right in. :-) I got a couple of cheap ones from Express on our first 2 cruises, DH just got me a nice Coach one for my bday.

offsite 08/96 * All Star Sports 03/98, 04/00 * All Star Movies 05/01, 02/05 * Caribbean Beach 05/02 * Wyndham Palace Resort and Spa 01/03 * Royal Pacific Resort 05/03 * Hilton Downtown Disney 07/03 * Offsite 10/03 * DL- Crowne Plaza Garden Grove 12/03 * Coronado Springs 5/04 * Dolphin~WL 7/04 * AKL~Polynesian 07/05 * AKL~POR 01/06 * Swan 2/08 * Caribbean Beach 10/08 * DL- Embassy Suites South 01/09 * PBH 3/11* Swan 02/12* SSR/DCL DREAM 4 nt Bahamas May/12!!!!! * SSR/DCL DREAM 4 nt Bahamas Sept/12 * DCL Wonder 5 nt Western Caribbean out of Miami! 1/13
Brynnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:33 PM   #17
DarthTod
Mouseketeer

Tangential question from a cruise noob: how do they actually read the cards for purchases, etc.? I am wondering if it would be feasible to use a belt clip retractable card reel like they use for prox card keys or if I would end up having to remove it from the sleeve each time I got a drink.
DarthTod is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-06-2012, 02:53 PM   #18
Kimbo71
Mouseketeer

We use a dry box.

Kimbo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:17 PM   #19
cypressmom
Love my Disney vacations!

I have a Vera Bradley chain lanyard. It's pretty and functional.

Disney World, 1986,1995, 2011 & 2014
Disneyland, 2001, 2007, 2010, 2011 & 2013
Disney Cruise Line, 2012 & 2014
cypressmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:39 PM   #20
codex57
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthTod View Post
Tangential question from a cruise noob: how do they actually read the cards for purchases, etc.? I am wondering if it would be feasible to use a belt clip retractable card reel like they use for prox card keys or if I would end up having to remove it from the sleeve each time I got a drink.
They swipe it like a credit card. That's why we ended up not using the lanyard. It was a huge pain to get it out of the plastic sleeve.

My wife just wore jeans or handed me her card to hold for her. I held the kids' cards too.
codex57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:43 PM   #21
rick_reeves
Earning My Ears

I never thought I'd like using one, but now I feel that it is just so much easier and safer than putting it in my pocket! I usually only have my KTTW card and my id.
2/2002 - All Star Movies
3/2005 - All Star Sports
3/2006 - Pop Century
rick_reeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:49 PM   #22
Four Swampers
Picture is Disney Wonder at Cabo San Lucas

Wife and daughters don't wear theirs. I wear mine for a day or two, because we get the Gold Castaway Club (5 completed cruises) lanyard. The staff seems extra anxious to please Gold and Platinum members. Of note, our best staff experiences happened on our very first trip.
I also sent you a private message.
Four Swampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:23 PM   #23
jpeka65844
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
You can buy lanyards at places like WalMart or 99 cent stores pretty cheap. Usually around $1.

If you're only carrying your KTTW card, I will point out, it can get wet. It's just plastic, like a credit card. DH keeps his in his swim trunks pocket when using the pools/beach. And put mine in a place that only DH has access to .

Yes, but be careful about having them in swim trunks pockets. DH thinks he might've lost his in the ocean at CC. We had to have it replaced.

jpeka65844 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:52 PM   #24
suffieldhockeymom
DIS Veteran

Diffinately
Old 12-11-2012, 10:58 PM   #25
N365PA
First rule of the bayou: never take directions from a gator.

Have you signed up under your cruise meet thread? Alot of times a group of cruisers on your cruise will pitch in and buy custom lanyards for everyone as a way of spotting other DIS people about the ship.

As others have stated, eBay is probably your best bet for cheap lanyards. I wear one all cruise long except at formal night, and then its in one of my pockets.

Clint
June 29-July 10: Copenhagen-Dover Disney Magic

N365PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:37 AM   #26
pdwimmer
DIS Veteran

I wore mine the entire time and so did the hubby and kids. I think I have 6 still here if anyone wants one. I'll get a new one the next time we sail. Getting the key out of the plastic pocket wasn't a huge deal for me. I don't wear jeans because I am a bigger gal. Strictly dresses for me :-)
Old 12-12-2012, 05:42 AM   #27
pdwimmer
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthTod View Post
Unfortunately you have to remove it each time you get a drink. The server will take it with them to the bar to process. During special times though when the servers are walking around with pre-mixed drinks they'll be able to scan right there. But again, you have to take it out of the sleeve.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:16 AM   #28
rosermama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdwimmer

Unfortunately you have to remove it each time you get a drink. The server will take it with them to the bar to process. During special times though when the servers are walking around with pre-mixed drinks they'll be able to scan right there. But again, you have to take it out of the sleeve.
Actually you don't have to do this anymore they can just scan your card through the plastic case. They have to take your whole lanyand the piece on the register is just like the doors. This is only on the Dream and Fantasy as I am aware.
rosermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:22 AM   #29
CaskPeg
Mouseketeer

DISboards Approved Advertiser

Setting up an account with your KTTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGA View Post
So they are big enough to fit other things in them other than the KTTW card? I am worried I cannot fit much cash or id's in them as well.
If you set up a running account with your KTTW card...there is no need to carry cash with your card on board ship. The account is tallied on that card and you pay it in total at the end of the cruise.

If you are going ashore in a port this is a different situation. You will have to take money to bargain over purchases in markets etc. Make sure your personal id and credit cards are safeguarded in something.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:31 AM   #30
ZoeBell
Mouseketeer

Is it better to have a lanyard with a pocket or one with a clip? Is a hole able to be punched onboard?
ZoeBell is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: