DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Member Services
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2012, 07:35 AM   #16
alicat07
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyrose View Post
I hope you have the CM's name to argue with an MS supervisor. I've read in multiple threads recently that the OTU points are limited to one buy per year, period.
That's what I've been told, and I've bought the one time use points! From the member website:

One-time-use vacation points are vacation points available for Disney Vacation Club Members to use as an alternative to borrowing vacation points from the following use year's allotment.
You can obtain a maximum of 24 one-time-use vacation points once per use year per membership.
A maximum of 24 one-time-use vacation points are processed in a single transaction, not multiple transactions.

I would call and double check that now before waiting for the waitlist! And from what I was told, for the waitlist to come through, I would have to have the amount of points available already, I don't know if you can buy the points at the time the waitlist comes through.
Correction on my part: I thought she needed to buy points to complete the waitlist but read back and realized that she only needed to buy points if the waitlist did not come through and she needed to upgrade. Either way, I'd still call to double check buying points a 2nd time for the same vacation because when I needed to use the OTU points it was also for a reservation that involved current points and borrowing a few points from the next year. I was told you could buy them only once per use year no matter what, and that if I did not buy enough at the one time, I would not be able to add on later if I decided I needed more for that vacation.

Last edited by alicat07; 12-06-2012 at 07:41 AM.
alicat07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:45 AM   #17
dvcterry
DIS Veteran

You have to have the right amount of points in order for the waitlist to come through. I went through this before and could not fulfill a waitlist reservation because we did not have enough points to do so. The OTU could not be applied. If an exception was made in someone's circumstance I think someone had benefited some way and more power to them.

The rule from our member site:

Quote:
•One-time-use vacation points are not available for waitlist reservations.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-06-2012, 11:56 AM   #18
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvcterry View Post
You have to have the right amount of points in order for the waitlist to come through. I went through this before and could not fulfill a waitlist reservation because we did not have enough points to do so. The OTU could not be applied. If an exception was made in someone's circumstance I think someone had benefited some way and more power to them.

The rule from our member site:
I don't think AllieV needs the OTU points for the waitlisted room, she would only need them if the waitlisted room doesn't come through and she bumps up to lake view.
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV, 4/2015 -- BLT

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:58 AM   #19
AllieV
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvcterry View Post
Yes and it was quite an ordeal getting this settled. She said I couldn't buy the points until I had a confirmation number, so I couldn't buy them and put them into my account. She suggested cancelling one of my other nights so I'd have enough for the waitlist, then going back and rebooking what I'd cancelled. She failed to see the irony in that.

I counter-suggested that they sell me the four points for one of the nights they were about to book for me. She said they could only do it for "need" not want. So I asked her to ask someone else. She disappeared for a while and came back and they sold me the 4 points for a night they were about to book so I'd have exactly enough of my own points left for my waitlist.

But now I am thrown by this "one time" thing since I asked so carefully about it. Again, maybe she sold them to me in my 2012 year and I can buy more in my 2013 year and so she wasn't concerned and just gave me the simplest answer.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:01 PM   #20
AllieV
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyrose View Post
I don't think AllieV needs the OTU points for the waitlisted room, she would only need them if the waitlisted room doesn't come through and she bumps up to lake view.
Yep, this. I have enough now if all the stars align. But if the waitlist doesn't come through, I'd need to change my room category for all 4 nights so as to unpack once (before moving to the next 4 nights).

Theoretically, I could buy/transfer them from someone if Disney staunchly refuses. It's only 18 more to upgrade to lakeview at BLT for all 4 nights.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:47 AM   #21
traceyg
Mouseketeer

Location: Residing in Texas and counting the days until I go home!

I just went through this in October. I needed 4 points to add to my 9 (current use year) to stay at AKV. There was only a Standard view available at the time but I really wanted a Savannah. I went ahead and paid for the 4 points ($60) and reserved the Standard. Fast forward a few days later and a Savannah view came open and I called to "rent" from Disney the extra 4 points or so and they said "no way". I tried to rent four points from the boards here and for most that's not a good transaction. I never got my 4 points.
traceyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:31 AM   #22
AllieV
DIS Veteran

Ugh, not sounding great for buying the extra 18 if the waitlist does not come through. If I also cannot buy them in my 2013 year (assuming they sold me the last 4 in my 2012 year) then I'll probably do a transfer of 50 or so from another member. Might as well have a few extra for the next trip if I need them. I just need to look up those borrowing/banking rules as I won't be going again until late 2014.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:48 AM   #23
mjc2003
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllieV View Post
Ugh, not sounding great for buying the extra 18 if the waitlist does not come through. If I also cannot buy them in my 2013 year (assuming they sold me the last 4 in my 2012 year) then I'll probably do a transfer of 50 or so from another member. Might as well have a few extra for the next trip if I need them. I just need to look up those borrowing/banking rules as I won't be going again until late 2014.

Borrowed points can be banked, so if you get pretty much anything that has a 2013 UY you would be able to bank them for a 2014 trip. The whole transfer thing sort of confused me, but I actually just did one and already used the points but at least now I see how it works. FYI, if you do this type of transaction the points won't show up online, you have to call MS to bank or use them. The hardest part is finding somebody who is willing to transfer the amount you're looking for. Since you can only do one transfer a year, people looking to rent or transfer points like to rent ALL their points. I needed 150, for example, and ended up renting 275. It wasn't a huge deal because I just used all the rented points for our trip and didn't have to touch my 2014. I also was renting for a specific resort specifically for the 11 month window so I didn't have any flexibility; not sure when your trip is, but if it's inside 7 months you should have more options.

Otherwise it's a fairly painless way to get the extra points you need.

Good luck.
Old 12-10-2012, 09:54 AM   #24
montrealdisneylovers
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjc2003 View Post
Borrowed points can be banked, so if you get pretty much anything that has a 2013 UY you would be able to bank them for a 2014 trip. The whole transfer thing sort of confused me, but I actually just did one and already used the points but at least now I see how it works. FYI, if you do this type of transaction the points won't show up online, you have to call MS to bank or use them. The hardest part is finding somebody who is willing to transfer the amount you're looking for. Since you can only do one transfer a year, people looking to rent or transfer points like to rent ALL their points. I needed 150, for example, and ended up renting 275. It wasn't a huge deal because I just used all the rented points for our trip and didn't have to touch my 2014. I also was renting for a specific resort specifically for the 11 month window so I didn't have any flexibility; not sure when your trip is, but if it's inside 7 months you should have more options.

Otherwise it's a fairly painless way to get the extra points you need.

Good luck.
I think you mean transferred points can be banked but not borrowed.
montrealdisneylovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:08 AM   #25
mjc2003
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by montrealdisneylovers View Post
I think you mean transferred points can be banked but not borrowed.
Duh. Yes, sorry if I caused any confusion; I indeed meant transferred points! Thanks.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:10 PM   #26
AllieV
DIS Veteran

room available!

I've been checking daily for the room online. Today, January 1 at 2pm est, I punched in the date and VOILA! It was available. I couldn't believe my eyes. I thought I'd chosen something wrong. But it was there and I borrowed the last of my points to book it.

I guess one answer to this original question is: people cancel after christmas, when they realize they've spent too much, or didn't get the christmas bonus they thought they would (or maybe got a great bonus and upgraded).

I have two questions:

1) Do I need to call MS to have them link them? Is there any chance I'll have to move rooms?

2) Do I need to cancel my waitlist or did it automatically cancel when I booked the room? I have no more points left anyway.

Thanks. So relieved this came through. I didn't want to have to deal with trying to buy more points to upgrade to lake view for the whole 4 nights.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:34 PM   #27
Sandisw

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllieV
I've been checking daily for the room online. Today, January 1 at 2pm est, I punched in the date and VOILA! It was available. I couldn't believe my eyes. I thought I'd chosen something wrong. But it was there and I borrowed the last of my points to book it.

I guess one answer to this original question is: people cancel after christmas, when they realize they've spent too much, or didn't get the christmas bonus they thought they would (or maybe got a great bonus and upgraded).

I have two questions:

1) Do I need to call MS to have them link them? Is there any chance I'll have to move rooms?

2) Do I need to cancel my waitlist or did it automatically cancel when I booked the room? I have no more points left anyway.

Thanks. So relieved this came through. I didn't want to have to deal with trying to buy more points to upgrade to lake view for the whole 4 nights.
I'd give MS a call and they should combine them to one resize since same room type. That's what happened for me last year. And I would cancel the waitlist. It doesn't auto cancel

Congratulations!!!

Sandisw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:57 PM   #28
AllieV
DIS Veteran

I sent an email to MS asking them to link my two reservations. I got an email today that they did so and cancelled my waitlist. There are still two separate reservations for BLT, but so long as we don't have to switch rooms, it's ok.

Just a note on cancellation: after I booked the room on 1/1, I went back and checked and none were available, so it was the only one cancelled (I assume). Same the next day on 1/2. Then today 1/3 I checked and there's another 1-br standard view available from thur-sat at the end of april. So it looks there are more cancellations going on now in this 3-4 month window (or upgrades, or moves).

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: