Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2012, 04:00 PM   #1
Mousequake
Mouseketeer

OMG! A totally unexpected stay at VGC in five weeks!

I can't believe this just fell into my lap-- I just got the opportunity to rent someone else's confirmed reservation for a 2-bedroom villa at VGC in mid-January for five nights at a *really* attractive price. The dates almost perfectly coincide with my parent's planned visit to us here in Oregon, so we essentially just agreed to split the cost of the villa, changed their flights, and moved the entire visit to Disneyland. Instead of 5 days in Portland, we now get five days at DL in the resort we always wish we could stay at but could never afford. This could not have worked out more perfectly. DD5 is incredibly excited, as she's never had a vacation with grandma & grandpa before, and she also thought she was going to have to wait for her next birthday in September for a return trip. My parents have never been to DL either, so they're looking forward to it.

I'm still working out details for the trip, but man am I excited.

I'm sure I'll have lots of questions in the coming weeks about staying at VGC since I've never done it before, but the first is: do people renting VGC reservations get free parking? I'm almost 100% sure they don't get free VALET parking like real DVC members do, but what about self-parking?
Mousequake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:36 PM   #2
thewritegirl
Mouseketeer

I have no idea about parking, but that is awesome! What a fun trip!
thewritegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-08-2012, 05:02 PM   #3
Susie63
Dreamin' of Disney

Yes the parking is free for DVC.Congrats on the score.We are 7 weeks out from our first DVC stay so I know how excited you are.Here is a link that has lots of great info.
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2592085
Old 12-08-2012, 05:16 PM   #4
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I'm almost 100% sure they don't get free VALET parking like real DVC members do
DVC members don't get free valet anymore, either. Haven't gotten it since something like 2010.

Have a great trip! And here I'm longing for a Portland visit, sigh..... So close to me, yet sometimes so far.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:00 PM   #5
Eeee-va
Happiest robot on Earth

I'm so happy for you! I know firsthand how great it is to stay in a resort you thought you'd never be able to afford.

If you don't get park view, don't miss the Paradise View Terrace, if only to look out at DCA at night. Have a wonderful trip!
Eeee-va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:12 PM   #6
Mousequake
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susie63 View Post
Yes the parking is free for DVC.Congrats on the score.We are 7 weeks out from our first DVC stay so I know how excited you are.Here is a link that has lots of great info.
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2592085
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
DVC members don't get free valet anymore, either. Haven't gotten it since something like 2010.
Just to make sure I understand-- I will get free self-parking, but not free valet, correct? Still trying to decide whether I'm even going to want to get a rental car or not, but free parking certainly is one plus in favor of getting a rental.

I mean, I know I won't *really* need a car, what with the full kitchen in the Villa, Von's delivery, and so many dining options in the hotel, but I fear I would just feel 'stuck' without one. Since I'm flying in and out of LGB, it could cost me a decent amount to get to the hotel, too, without one.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:37 PM   #7
Geemo
DIS Veteran

Call the GCH to see if there is a charge for parking. While you're speaking with them ask them about cab fares.
I believe it's Yellow Cab that has a deal with Disney to provide flat rates for various destinations. Bell services gave me a slip with the various locations and rates for a cab.

Enjoy the trip

Geemo
Old 12-09-2012, 08:16 PM   #8
Nonsuch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousequake View Post
...I fear I would just feel 'stuck' without one.
You will be STUCK at Disneyland

One of the best things about the Grand is feeling like your are "inside the park" for your entire vacation: No trams or busses, never even crossing a street
Old 12-09-2012, 09:06 PM   #9
Susie63
Dreamin' of Disney

Yes,self parking for DVC is free.Valet is not.Alamo shares the parking lot with GCH,but I find that company expensive. If you are a Costco member,you can get some pretty sweet deals through their website.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:30 PM   #10
the donut
Mouseketeer

I actually think you could easily spend 5 days in the park without needing a car, especially if you spend time at the pool. We usually go for MLK day in mid-January, and 2 years out of 3 it was in the high 70's/low 80's and we spent the afternoons in the pool. The Grand itself also has a bunch of activities, including tours and a sort of scavenger hunt for the kids. Plenty of things to spend an entire day on and really enjoy the hotel and its awesome location. We also have spent on some trips a half day in downtown disney as well, between the lego store, the disney store, build a bear, and ridemakerz plus a nice lunch at Uva, Ralph Brennan's, or Naples. Although we do usually drive there since we live in SoCal, we only access our car for the grocery run(s) and that's about it. If you really think you might like a non-disney day, you can access Knott's Berry Farm by public transportation or walk to the Garden Walk.

Be sure and request a high floor, park view. Check out nonsuch's list for specific room requests. And if ordering from Von's, you might want to plan at least one bbq dinner if not more. Unlike the World, bbq's are gas and grilling equipment can be checked out from the front desk. Super convenient.

People have already mentioned it, but there is no charge for parking for DVC members. If they try to charge you, be sure and mention that you are staying in the villas. If you don't rent a car, you might want to consider a car service for your group. You can arrange a grocery stop on the way as part of the service.

Have a great time. I love staying at the villas, and these days with the lines at Carsland, it's fantastic to have that early entry perk as a resort guest. Plus the Grand Cal is really a special place.

Last edited by the donut; 12-09-2012 at 10:39 PM.
the donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:42 PM   #11
kerickson
VGC Dreamin'

It's nice to have a car, but not necessary. Von's works well for grocery delivery, and as long as you don't have alcohol in you order Bell Services will accept for you and you don't have to wait there. We ordered alcohol from Wonderland Market, call them and they show up quick so not as disruptive. Other than that, there is really nothing you need a car for unless you want to leave the area. Greyhound/Disneyland express has a good bus from the airport or with a larger group Super Shuttle works well

We don't usually plan offsite excursions. Makes things a bit more hectic for us so we just like to get there and stay put!

Have fun! You will love the 2BR!

kerickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:12 AM   #12
Mousequake
Mouseketeer

Just to clarify-- we're not planning any off-site trips. We can easily spend 4-5 days in the parks and feel like we've not seen it all. When we're at DLR, that's the *only* place we want to be. When I mentioned feeling being stuck, I meant purely from a psychological perspective. It's just the feeling of not being able to hop in the car and run to the grocery store if the mood strikes me, or god forbid there's some kind of emergency and my kid needs medical care. Since we're already going to be dropping close to $100 for transportation to and from the airport (there are no inexpensive LGB options), my gut is telling me to spend a few dollars more for a rental.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:39 AM   #13
Susie63
Dreamin' of Disney

I get it. I am doing the same thing.While Von's is nice...I like to pick out my own produce.We have a 12 day stay so I think I will be shopping more than once

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: