Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2012, 11:30 AM   #76
Colleen27
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_gordon View Post
First, none of my family gets a flu shot, so I would also be upset over this. BUT, do those of you complaining have a problem with schools & daycares requiring chicken pox vaccines or polio or any of the half dozen or so inoculations our kids get and have to show the school they got?
Personally I see a difference between the flu vaccine and other immunizations, both in terms of efficacy and principle. Most vaccines confer lasting protection against diseases with significant rates of serious complications; the flu vaccine has to be administered annually in hopes of providing some protection against that particular year's strain of what is, for the vast majority, a minor illness.

I wouldn't be lining my kids up for chicken pox or measles vaccines if they had to be given every year to work either. I personally believe that tinkering with our bodies' natural defenses should be done infrequently and only after carefully evaluating the risk/reward balance, and an annual vaccine against an illness that is extremely unlikely to be anything more than unpleasant doesn't meet my personal standard on that count. I think it is very telling that even the CDC flyers the kids bring home from school during the annual flu vaccine campaign talk more about the benefits of reduced absenteeism than about the dangers of the disease.

Tickerless once more...Kid-free trip on hold until fall 2014
How a Year Off Became a Year of Disney Magic! PTR
My Training Blog - From Fluffy to Fit: A Pooh Sized Runner's Quest to Run Disney
Colleen27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:30 AM   #77
dsneprincess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by renae3
OP here again....The more I think about the more I truely feel that giving my daughter the flu shot is not the right choice for my family. I am her parent and ultimately feel qualified to make an informed decision. I ofcourse have all of her immunizations up to date, its really the flu shot that is bothering me. Looking at statistics, it just doesn't make sense why this is a law for only preschool kids and only in NJ. How many kids who are healthy die from the flu? I assume that number is very low. I am beginning to think this is all about money....it is NJ!

At this point, I am seriously thinking about religious exempt. They leave me no other choice. Yes, I can take her out of school, but that seems ridiculous. Oh by the way she is 4 and I am planning to put her back in this school again next year, she is staying back another year. So, she will be 5, in the same preschool, and if I read correctly, no longer needs the flu vaccine! That makes no sense to me!
I think the religious exempt is your only option. Unfortunately, you are going to have to lie to defend your child from the "government who knows best". It probably won't be the last time....
dsneprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-05-2012, 12:01 PM   #78
mhsjax
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsJack View Post
Someone said that Florida does. NJ may just be one of the first and other states will follow suit? Still doesn't make them wrong, imo.

If someone is unhappy with the way the regulations are written in their state, then they should find out how and why they were written and work toward changing them.

But, like someone said, the OP has two choices: get the shot or take your child out of preschool.
NO Florida does not. Just because a poster said it, doesn't make it true.

OH and they tried changing them. But you said that it was Govt based, that is what I was pointing out.
mhsjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:02 PM   #79
minnie1012
DIS Veteran

I was able to get out of it but I had to provide a letter from the Dr saying that my daughter couldn't have the vaccine because she has an egg allergy. Does you dr agree that its nots good for her to have based on the previous reaction of your other child? If so maybe you can get a dr note?
minnie1012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:03 PM   #80
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RitaE View Post
I think the vaccination debates have been done to death, but yes, I believe that medical care decisions are best left up to the patient, parents, and the Doctors and other medical personnel they choose to advise them. I would be perfectly fine if every state in our nation did away with having to submit vaccination records for enrollment.

I am not a militant no-vaccines parent. All my children received immunizations on the schedule their Doctors and I thought best. I took my college bound sons in for a Meningitis immunization right before they left to live in the dorms because I felt the risk from the vaccine was minimal and the risk of disease from the close quarter living arrangements warranted the vaccination. And it wasn't even required by law!

I think that is the way it should be done, and not dictated by politicians who are often idiots and often highly lobbied and influenced by the Pharmaceutical industry.
This is exactly what I would post about it, too.
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:06 PM   #81
disney1990
Wow, it make my heart skip a beat
I'm going to miss these when the season ends
Lighting the Way to Paradise

I can see the necessity in getting a flu shot.

Upwards of 200,000 people are hospitalized from flu related illnesses every single year. Unless a person has a religious reason or is allergic to components of the flu shot, I understand requiring flu shots.

disney1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:08 PM   #82
mhsjax
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney1990 View Post
I can see the necessity in getting a flu shot.

Upwards of 200,000 people are hospitalized from flu related illnesses every single year. Unless a person has a religious reason or is allergic to components of the flu shot, I understand requiring flu shots.
Yes but how many of those people are elderly, or compromised in some other way. Most healthy young people can fight off the flu.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:09 PM   #83
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraJayne View Post
She doesn't want to give her daughter the shot. That is a good enough reason.
Not in New Jersey.

Her options at this point are apparently to state she has religious objections, or get a doctor to sign something that says the kid shouldn't have the shot. And maybe look into getting the law changed. From what has been posted here of the state regulations, it is very clear that the parent objecting to the shot because something might happen is not an acceptable opt-out.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:15 PM   #84
robinb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsjax View Post
Yes but how many of those people are elderly, or compromised in some other way. Most healthy young people can fight off the flu.
Children 4 and under (aka preschoolers) are the 2nd most hospitalized age group.
robinb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:18 PM   #85
Mouse House Mama
Luckiest Mommy in the World!!!
Hello-Buddy the Elf what's your favorite color?!
I wonder if they make pullups for adults
I was not the farter- I was the fartee

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraJayne View Post
Well, I did a little googling and it seems in New Jersey, it is the law, which personally, I find outrageous.

I'd opt out on religious grounds, even if that isn't true.

So now the NJ government gets to decide what goes in your children's body, not you, the parent.
I agree.
Thanks be to God for this indescribable gift....
WL Sept. 2004,Poly June 2005,Poly April 2006 with Grandma & Grandpa, Pop Aug. 2006, WL Dec. 2006, FW Cabins Feb. 2007,AllStar Music Jan. 2008, Poly Aug. 2008,Yacht Club Aug. 2009, Poly Aug. 2009, Pop Aug. 2011, Pop May 2012, All Star Music June 2013, Bonnet Creek July 2013
Mouse House Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:18 PM   #86
mhsjax
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinb View Post
Children 4 and under (aka preschoolers) are the 2nd most hospitalized age group.
I read that they were in the same group as the 50-65 year olds. Also how many of those were already compromised. Premature, asthma, that type of thing. I didn't see that specific number. Funny how I managed to get 3 out of pre school without so much as a bad cold.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:20 PM   #87
badblackpug
If you knew her you would be shocked!

It is not "required by law." It is required if you want to send your child to preschool, which, in and of itself, is not required. Logical thinking says, if your child is required to have a flu shot to attend preschool, and you are opposed to the flu shot, don't send your child to preschool. No one is forcing the OP to get her child vaccinated, what is being said is that if she wants her child to participate in this activity she has tonmeet certain criteria, and one of them is getting the flu shot. If the OP is truly that morally opposed to the shot, just take her child out of preschool. Preschool, like the flu shot, is recommended, not required. No one is taking away her right to decide medical care for her child.

An older sibling having a reaction to a medicine is not a valid medical excuse. (And I will mention that a fever that wasn't even reported to the doctor is not a severe reaction) My mother has an anaphylactic response to a common antibiotics that I, and my siblings, have all taken without side effects. My brother has an allergic reaction to a medication that I, and my sister, have taken multiple times. A sibling having a reaction has no bearing on the patient.

...and I am shocked at the Dis telling the OP to lie and break the rules. This is the same group of people who scream people down for saying their 3 year old is 2, for using mugs from previous years, for pool hopping, or taking cookies off a buffet. It is not for the OP, to decide what rules she thinks are right and should, therefore, follow.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:23 PM   #88
Mouse House Mama
Luckiest Mommy in the World!!!
Hello-Buddy the Elf what's your favorite color?!
I wonder if they make pullups for adults
I was not the farter- I was the fartee

[QUOTE=luvsJack;46859444]FYI: In many states, the regulations for child care centers and preschools are NOT written by lawmakers. In many places they are written by child development experts, medical personnel and people in the field.

No one is trying to run a conspiracy to take over your kids. They are trying to do what is best for the children of their state as a whole.[/QUOTE]

Well since they don't know me or my children personally they have no idea what is best for us. NCLB was supposed to help every child and well, we see where that failed. They have no idea what every child really needs. Let the parents make the decisions for their children just like adults get to make their own healthcare decisions. The parents are the legal guardians. Not the government.
Thanks be to God for this indescribable gift....
WL Sept. 2004,Poly June 2005,Poly April 2006 with Grandma & Grandpa, Pop Aug. 2006, WL Dec. 2006, FW Cabins Feb. 2007,AllStar Music Jan. 2008, Poly Aug. 2008,Yacht Club Aug. 2009, Poly Aug. 2009, Pop Aug. 2011, Pop May 2012, All Star Music June 2013, Bonnet Creek July 2013
Mouse House Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:26 PM   #89
luvsJack
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsjax View Post
NO Florida does not. Just because a poster said it, doesn't make it true.

OH and they tried changing them. But you said that it was Govt based, that is what I was pointing out.
I didn't mean to insinuate that someone saying it makes it true, I just commented that they did say it and I assumed that perhaps they knew what they were talking about.

I don't have a clue which states require something and which ones do not; way too much searching involved for me to find that.

I know that it is not required here at this time but it is strongly recommended that individual centers and preschools put it in their policies which is "regulation code" for: It will soon be a regulation.

My dgd's preschool requires it for their school. Dil and DS asked me and I told them to get it.

I think all of this "conspiracy theory" about the government trying to take over our kids is ridiculous. Sorry, but I just don't think that the writers of these regulations want to raise our kids, they have enough to do without worrying about our little snowflakes. They ARE concerned with the health and well being of all of the kids in childcare facilities. If you don't want to abide by the regulations then maybe your child would be best kept at home.

10 pounds closer to Skinny Island!
luvsJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:35 PM   #90
badblackpug
If you knew her you would be shocked!

[QUOTE=Mouse House Mama;46860270]
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsJack View Post
FYI: In many states, the regulations for child care centers and preschools are NOT written by lawmakers. In many places they are written by child development experts, medical personnel and people in the field.

No one is trying to run a conspiracy to take over your kids. They are trying to do what is best for the children of their state as a whole.[/QUOTE]

Well since they don't know me or my children personally they have no idea what is best for us. NCLB was supposed to help every child and well, we see where that failed. They have no idea what every child really needs. Let the parents make the decisions for their children just like adults get to make their own healthcare decisions. The parents are the legal guardians. Not the government.
They certainly are letting the OP make her own healthcare decisions. She is more than free to forgo the flu shot, she just cannot send her child to preschool, which is an optional activity.

It's as easy as that. Ir she is opposed to having her daughter receive the vaccine she is within her rights to do so. No one is forcing her. No one is going to arrest hernor take away her kids. She just can't send her to preschool.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: