Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2012, 10:58 AM   #46
robinb
DIS Veteran
 
robinb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 31,503

The CDC recommends the flu vaccine for all children under the age of 5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger&Belle View Post
This is an interesting read on the topic:http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2882617/
I scanned that and it's about adults in the workplace. Not preschoolers who are booger factories.

When I read "bad reaction" I thought something like Guillain-Barré syndrome or a febrile seizure. Not a simple fever which is a known side effect that was so mild the OP didn't even report to her doctor. Personally, I don't think that "my other kid had a known side effect" is a good enough reason to get out of complying with the law. Renae3, if you don't want to vaccinate then you are going to have to lie.

In the spirit of full disclosure my family always gets the flu shot/mist. I think it's important to our family personally and for the community in general.
__________________
DVC Member since 1997
Walt Disney World 2013 * Disneyland Paris 2012 * Disneyland 2011 * Hong Kong Disneyland 2007 * Tokyo Disneyland 2007
robinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:00 AM   #47
Tigger&Belle
I'm the good girl on the DIS

Snarky is my middle name
So many comments, so many points
 
Tigger&Belle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Maryland!
Posts: 37,878

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraJayne View Post
She doesn't want to give her daughter the shot. That is a good enough reason.
I agree that, as parents, we should be able to make the call for our children that we believe is best. The school, however, is following the apparent law in NJ and can refuse to allow the child to continue at the school. We all have our rights to choose, but it doesn't mean our choices are without consequences.

HOWEVER, like I'd mentioned before, I don't think there should be a law making the flu vaccine mandatory, especially since the efficacy rate is not high.
__________________
***Please note that this posters fingers move faster than her brain and any and all comments considered snarky and/or innuendo-ey are not the intent of said poster***
Tigger&Belle
Tigger&Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 12-05-2012, 11:01 AM   #48
Elinor Dashwood
DIS Veteran
 
Elinor Dashwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,513

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkacmom View Post
I think you are over-thinking this. Just have her get the flu shot! Seriously, what is one more vaccination? A fever (in a sibling, no less) is not a severe reaction. It's possible it wasn't even related to the shot.

All of my kids get them every single year (except one year when ds9 got the flu before his appointment). We've never had any issues. Every other kid in that school is getting one.
I respectfully disagree. She is not overthinking it, it's her child, and a little one at that. Personally I think people blindly follow the whole immunization route without thinking it through. Nobody should be forced to immunize if you ask me. It's a personal decision and the state (and federal) has no business requiring it. One more vaccine is not a good enough argument IMO to get the flu shot. There's nothing wrong with thinking it through, rather than just saying okey dokey, who cares since it's only one more vaccine.
Elinor Dashwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:05 AM   #49
mjkacmom
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 16,003

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsjax View Post
Sorry but I disagree. She isn't over thinking it. Why should she have to do it, if her other kid has had a reaction or even if they haven't had one. My kids never got one and I would dare anyone to tell me mine had to, to stay in school. That crap wouldn't fly with me. One more vaccination can be a problem, I don't blindly follow rules like this and neither should anyone else.
I believe the flu vaccine is a requirement for daycare in Florida, as well, and every state have vaccination laws in regards to public schools. What is the difference? A friend of mine lost her one year old to complication caused by the flu - it's not always just a routine illness.
__________________
Me DH dd14 ds13 dd10 ds8 dd8
mjkacmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:06 AM   #50
Christopher Robin
DIS Veteran
 
Christopher Robin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: In the woods of NW PA
Posts: 1,416

I was going to quote B Franklin re: liberty and safety, but decided against it.
Christopher Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:06 AM   #51
penn19
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Anywhere but here
Posts: 1,255

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkacmom View Post
Not having to pump my own gas is a bonus! I don't think I could ever leave here - it's really a great place to live, if you can afford it.
I WISH someone would pump my gas! That to me is a huge plus living in NJ (which I do not by the way)
penn19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:07 AM   #52
mjkacmom
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 16,003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elinor Dashwood View Post
I respectfully disagree. She is not overthinking it, it's her child, and a little one at that. Personally I think people blindly follow the whole immunization route without thinking it through. Nobody should be forced to immunize if you ask me. It's a personal decision and the state (and federal) has no business requiring it. One more vaccine is not a good enough argument IMO to get the flu shot. There's nothing wrong with thinking it through, rather than just saying okey dokey, who cares since it's only one more vaccine.
And she has the right not to send her child to preschool. Just because you think the state has no business requiring it, they, in fact, do.
__________________
Me DH dd14 ds13 dd10 ds8 dd8
mjkacmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:08 AM   #53
robinb
DIS Veteran
 
robinb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 31,503

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Robin View Post
I was going to quote B Franklin re: liberty and safety, but decided against it.
Oh for goodness sakes! It's a flu shot, not the Patriot Act .
__________________
DVC Member since 1997
Walt Disney World 2013 * Disneyland Paris 2012 * Disneyland 2011 * Hong Kong Disneyland 2007 * Tokyo Disneyland 2007
robinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:09 AM   #54
Christopher Robin
DIS Veteran
 
Christopher Robin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: In the woods of NW PA
Posts: 1,416

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinb View Post
Oh for goodness sakes! It's a flu shot, not the Patriot Act .
Christopher Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:11 AM   #55
mhsjax
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Jacksonville, Fl
Posts: 8,549

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkacmom View Post
I believe the flu vaccine is a requirement for daycare in Florida, as well, and every state have vaccination laws in regards to public schools. What is the difference? A friend of mine lost her one year old to complication caused by the flu - it's not always just a routine illness.
NOt according to the Florida Dept of health. My kids were never required either. Never said it was a routine illness, where did you get that. People do die from the flu. I almost died from Mono. Things happen and it is sad. But I will not be forced into getting a flu shot and neither will my kids. Big difference in the Flu shot and other vaccines. They can only predict what strain of flu, there is no way to tell for sure. Have your opinion, it won't change my mind.
mhsjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:11 AM   #56
Elinor Dashwood
DIS Veteran
 
Elinor Dashwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,513

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkacmom View Post
And she has the right not to send her child to preschool. Just because you think the state has no business requiring it, they, in fact, do.
Of course. She can absolutely not put her in preschool then. Again, her choice as the parent. And I again disagree with you, the state has NO business requiring it. Yes, the preschool is unfortunately following the state because they are legally required to. Stupid law though.
Elinor Dashwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:12 AM   #57
mhsjax
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Jacksonville, Fl
Posts: 8,549

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinb View Post
Oh for goodness sakes! It's a flu shot, not the Patriot Act .
Seriously?
mhsjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:12 AM   #58
luvsJack
DIS Veteran
 
luvsJack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: My own little corner of the world
Posts: 12,743

Quote:
Originally Posted by renae3 View Post
OP here....thanks so much for all the replies. My oldest just ended up with a fever from the shot, but I never even told the doctor. When I called the school I told them about my reason being because my oldest had a bad reaction and she said that was not a reason and I had to get it done or she couldn't come back to school. Now if I say it is a religious reason, they know I am lying. Will they question me? I hate to lie, but I am feeling so backed into a corner.
Why don't you call the dr. and let him/her know what happened after the last shot. He/she can tell you whether that reaction is enough to be a medical exemption. The preschool cannot tell you whether that is a reason for medical exemption. What she may be meaning is that you must have something from your dr. stating a medical exemption.

But, please, think about it before you make a decision to give religious reasons. Those exemptions were not put in place for an easy way out. There is a reason for this regulation.

I do not take the flu shot every year and dd hasn't had it since she was much younger, but I do understand the need for it. When your child gets the flu, he/she may be contagious before you realize he/she is sick and is kept home. During that time your child may infect another child that cannot have the shot due to medical reasons; if that child has other health problems the flu could be very dangerous for him/her. Would you really want that to happen?

Please talk to your child's doctor.
__________________


10 pounds closer to Skinny Island!
luvsJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:13 AM   #59
RitaE
DIS Veteran
 
RitaE's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 5,169

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_gordon View Post
First, none of my family gets a flu shot, so I would also be upset over this. BUT, do those of you complaining have a problem with schools & daycares requiring chicken pox vaccines or polio or any of the half dozen or so inoculations our kids get and have to show the school they got?
I think the vaccination debates have been done to death, but yes, I believe that medical care decisions are best left up to the patient, parents, and the Doctors and other medical personnel they choose to advise them. I would be perfectly fine if every state in our nation did away with having to submit vaccination records for enrollment.

I am not a militant no-vaccines parent. All my children received immunizations on the schedule their Doctors and I thought best. I took my college bound sons in for a Meningitis immunization right before they left to live in the dorms because I felt the risk from the vaccine was minimal and the risk of disease from the close quarter living arrangements warranted the vaccination. And it wasn't even required by law!

I think that is the way it should be done, and not dictated by politicians who are often idiots and often highly lobbied and influenced by the Pharmaceutical industry.
RitaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:14 AM   #60
Elinor Dashwood
DIS Veteran
 
Elinor Dashwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,513

Quote:
Originally Posted by RitaE View Post
I think the vaccination debates have been done to death, but yes, I believe that medical care decisions are best left up to the patient, parents, and the Doctors and other medical personnel they choose to advise them. I would be perfectly fine if every state in our nation did away with having to submit vaccination records for enrollment.

I am not a militant no-vaccines parent. All my children received immunizations on the schedule their Doctors and I thought best. I took my college bound sons in for a Meningitis immunization right before they left to live in the dorms because I felt the risk from the vaccine was minimal and the risk of disease from the close quarter living arrangements warranted the vaccination. And it wasn't even required by law!

I think that is the way it should be done, and not dictated by politicians who are often idiots and often highly lobbied and influenced by the Pharmaceutical industry.
Preach it sister! Completely agree.
Elinor Dashwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:09 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: