Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2012, 10:37 AM   #31
RitaE
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by renae3 View Post
OP here....thanks so much for all the replies. My oldest just ended up with a fever from the shot, but I never even told the doctor. When I called the school I told them about my reason being because my oldest had a bad reaction and she said that was not a reason and I had to get it done or she couldn't come back to school. Now if I say it is a religious reason, they know I am lying. Will they question me? I hate to lie, but I am feeling so backed into a corner.
According to the New Jersey code I posted above, they are not allowed to question your statement or ask for further details. You write the statement, they accept it. They might roll their eyes and the nurse will mutter "yeah right" behind your back though.

It's up to you whether or not that is enough to change your mind. Maybe you'd feel better about it if you called your Doctor and discussed your concerns.
RitaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:37 AM   #32
Christopher Robin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
OP here....thanks so much for all the replies. My oldest just ended up with a fever from the shot, but I never even told the doctor. When I called the school I told them about my reason being because my oldest had a bad reaction and she said that was not a reason and I had to get it done or she couldn't come back to school. Now if I say it is a religious reason, they know I am lying. Will they question me? I hate to lie, but I am feeling so backed into a corner.
'For religious reasons, I opt out.'
Christopher Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-05-2012, 10:37 AM   #33
Tigger&Belle
I'm the good girl on the DIS

Snarky is my middle name
So many comments, so many points

This is an interesting read on the topic:http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2882617/
Old 12-05-2012, 10:40 AM   #34
mhsjax
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraJayne View Post
Well, I did a little googling and it seems in New Jersey, it is the law, which personally, I find outrageous.

I'd opt out on religious grounds, even if that isn't true.

So now the NJ government gets to decide what goes in your children's body, not you, the parent.
I gotta say, NJ has some strange laws, right up there with not pumping your own gas. BIZAAR. NO wonder a friend on mine said the best thing about leaving NJ, was watching it disappear in the rear view mirror.
mhsjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:43 AM   #35
Tigger&Belle
I'm the good girl on the DIS

Snarky is my middle name
So many comments, so many points

Quote:
IMO I do not think that you have a great reason for not having the vaccine. You said your oldest ended up with a fever from the shot. There's no way of knowing the fever was from the shot--kids get fevers all the time. If it happened a 2nd year, I'd be a little more apt to believe the fever was from the shot, but not one time and not even a severe problem. If your doctor wasn't even informed, I doubt it was something too bad.

My daughter, as a child, did get sick a couple years in a row after having the flu vaccine. She didn't have the shot again, but is now, as an adult, considering having it due to the population she works with. Her younger siblings all had the vaccine without any problems.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:47 AM   #36
HM
A tag from the TF is better than a personalized licence plate

OP, I'd go ahead and try the vaccine this year for this child since you like this preschool. Your older child really didn't have a bad reaction if it wasn't enough to even inform your doctor, imo.

My kids are much older, but I kind of remember them having fever after some of their vaccinations as well.
HM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:47 AM   #37
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger&Belle View Post
IMO I do not think that you have a great reason for not having the vaccine. You said your oldest ended up with a fever from the shot. There's no way of knowing the fever was from the shot--kids get fevers all the time. If it happened a 2nd year, I'd be a little more apt to believe the fever was from the shot, but not one time and not even a severe problem. If your doctor wasn't even informed, I doubt it was something too bad.

My daughter, as a child, did get sick a couple years in a row after having the flu vaccine. She didn't have the shot again, but is now, as an adult, considering having it due to the population she works with. Her younger siblings all had the vaccine without any problems.
She doesn't want to give her daughter the shot. That is a good enough reason.
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:47 AM   #38
mjkacmom
DIS Veteran

I think you are over-thinking this. Just have her get the flu shot! Seriously, what is one more vaccination? A fever (in a sibling, no less) is not a severe reaction. It's possible it wasn't even related to the shot.

All of my kids get them every single year (except one year when ds9 got the flu before his appointment). We've never had any issues. Every other kid in that school is getting one.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:49 AM   #39
mjkacmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsjax View Post
I gotta say, NJ has some strange laws, right up there with not pumping your own gas. BIZAAR. NO wonder a friend on mine said the best thing about leaving NJ, was watching it disappear in the rear view mirror.
Not having to pump my own gas is a bonus! I don't think I could ever leave here - it's really a great place to live, if you can afford it.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:51 AM   #40
Christopher Robin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkacmom View Post
I think you are over-thinking this. Just have her get the flu shot! Seriously, what is one more vaccination? A fever (in a sibling, no less) is not a severe reaction. It's possible it wasn't even related to the shot.

All of my kids get them every single year (except one year when ds9 got the flu before his appointment). We've never had any issues. Every other kid in that school is getting one.
Re; the bolded. You don't know that.
Christopher Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:52 AM   #41
love2disney
DIS Veteran

In NJ it is the law for day cares and senior center. Its a law for a reason. Why not ask you pediatrician and state how your other child had a reaction. Since she had a reaction after a flu shot I am assuming you have no issues against vaccinating and are just wary of your other child falling sick too. IF the Pediatrician thinks she should not get a shot get a note from him and that should be sufficient for the school. If the doctor has other ideas maybe it would be a good thing to find out that your child is not allergic to the shot.
love2disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:52 AM   #42
mhsjax
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Not having to pump my own gas is a bonus! I don't think I could ever leave here - it's really a great place to live, if you can afford it.
I don't mind pumping, I just find it odd. YOu like it that is great, my friends, born and raised there couldn't stand it. (and they were rich) But hey, I am from Florida and most people would never live here, but I love it, so I get where you are coming from.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:55 AM   #43
mhsjax
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Sorry but I disagree. She isn't over thinking it. Why should she have to do it, if her other kid has had a reaction or even if they haven't had one. My kids never got one and I would dare anyone to tell me mine had to, to stay in school. That crap wouldn't fly with me. One more vaccination can be a problem, I don't blindly follow rules like this and neither should anyone else.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:55 AM   #44
Elinor Dashwood
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsjax View Post
Ha ha! We went to a wedding in NJ and I had no idea this was an actual law. So my DH got out to pump the gas and the attendant about flipped out!

OP, I think it's ludicrous that it's required by law. The state has no business dictating immunizations. And I don't buy the whole "it's for the greater good" garbage either,but that's another thread . Parents have rights for crying out loud and if they choose not to give their child the flu shot for whatever reason, it's their business. I'd be very tempted to opt out for religious reasons.
Elinor Dashwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:55 AM   #45
mhsjax
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by love2disney View Post
In NJ it is the law for day cares and senior center. Its a law for a reason. Why not ask you pediatrician and state how your other child had a reaction. Since she had a reaction after a flu shot I am assuming you have no issues against vaccinating and are just wary of your other child falling sick too. IF the Pediatrician thinks she should not get a shot get a note from him and that should be sufficient for the school. If the doctor has other ideas maybe it would be a good thing to find out that your child is not allergic to the shot.
What reason, other states don't have it?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: