Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2012, 10:12 AM   #16
Soldier's*Sweeties
I WILL walk three miles in the snow, uphill, barefoot for a Pumpkin Spice Latte
I'll take the Palmettos

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraJayne

In New Jersey, the only way to opt out of the shot is a religious reason.

http://www.state.nj.us/health/cd/req_imm.shtml#ir
I would think a bad reaction would also have to fall under that.
Bonus book #26- Parasite(Parasitology #1) Mira Grant
2014 Reading Challenge: 35 Books
#1-Bad Monkey Carl Hiaasen, #2- Undead and Unwed MaryJanice Davidson, #3- New Year Island Paul Draker, #4- Belle de Jour: Diary of an Unlikely Call Girl Anonymous, #5-Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers Mary Roach,
#6- Undead and Unemployed MaryJanice Davidson, #7- Infected Scott Sigler, #8- Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex Mary Roach, #9- Flesh Worn Stone John Burks, #10- Uganda Be Kidding Me Chelsea Handler,
#11- The Witness Sandra Brown, #12-Midnight Crossroad Charlaine Harris, #13- Under the Dome Stephen King, #14- Monument 14 Emmy Laybourne, #15- Monument 14: Sky on Fire Emmy Laybourne, #16- The Magicians Lev Grossman, #17, #18, #19- The Strain Trilogy Guillermo Del Toro, #20- A Discovery of Witches Deborah Harkness, #21- Postmortem Patricia Cornwell, #22- The Darkest Minds Alexandra Bracken, #23- The Heist Janet Evanovich and Lee Goldberg, #24- The Town Bentley Little, #25- The Chase Janet Evanovich and Lee Goldberg, #26- Relic Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child
Soldier's*Sweeties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:12 AM   #17
RitaE
DIS Veteran

According to this website it is the law in New Jersey

http://www.state.nj.us/health/cd/req_imm.shtml

This is the code for a Religious Exemption which states the school should not question the parent's written statement of religious exemption. Do with that whatever your own value system requires

Quote:
Religious Exemptions:
N.J.S.A. 26:1A – 9.1 provides an exemption for pupils from mandatory immunization “if the parent or guardian of the pupil objects thereto in a written statement signed by the parent or guardian upon the grounds that the proposed immunization interferes with the free exercise of the pupil’s religious rights.” All schools, child care centers, and local health officers may be advised that the religious exemption extends to private, parochial, and public institutions. When a parent or guardian submits their written religious exemption to immunization, which contains some religious reference, those persons charged with implementing administrative rules at N.J.A.C. 8:57 – 4.4, should not question whether the parent’s professed religious statement or stated belief is reasonable, acceptable, sincere and bona fide. In practice, if the written statement contains the word “religion” or “religious” or some reference thereto, then the statement should be accepted and the religious exemption of mandatory immunization(s) granted. The language requiring how the administration of immunizing agents conflicts with the student’s religious beliefs does not mandate specificity as to membership in a recognized church or religious denomination. NJDHSS will seek to amend the rules at N.J.A.C. 8:57 – 4.4 through the Administrative Rules process to be consistent with N.J.S.A. 26:1A – 9.1.
RitaE is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-05-2012, 10:12 AM   #18
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraJayne View Post
Well, I did a little googling and it seems in New Jersey, it is the law, which personally, I find outrageous.

I'd opt out on religious grounds, even if that isn't true.

So now the NJ government gets to decide what goes in your children's body, not you, the parent.
I cannot believe theyre forcing everyone to get the flu shot! Thats ridiculous! What if the person is allergic? They should be able to opt out due to medical reasons, and provide a note from your dr. Thats the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard in my life. I do not get the flu shot, nor does my son. My kid, my choice. I would lie and say its religious reasons for sure.

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW

I've been BOO'ED by Forum Jumper!!!
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:13 AM   #19
luvsJack
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Robin View Post
Lie.
'Laws' like that don't deserve the respect of the truth.
Say its for religious reasons.
Your kid, your choice.
There could actually be a reason for the law/regulation. Remember the regulations are made for children in any preschool/child care/ head start setting across a state or region. Some children need to be protected from the flu and need to be protected from being around others with the flu.

In many states the regulations are for children from ages 6 weeks to 5 years so its not just for a healthy, 4 year old child. Its also for the 8 week old with health problems that has to be in child care while mom works.

If the OP's child has issues talking the shot, then she can get something from her dr. but that doesn't mean every parent out there should lie their way out of getting it for their child.

10 pounds closer to Skinny Island!
luvsJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:13 AM   #20
Soldier's*Sweeties
I WILL walk three miles in the snow, uphill, barefoot for a Pumpkin Spice Latte
I'll take the Palmettos

Quote:
Originally Posted by RitaE
According to this website it is the law in New Jersey

http://www.state.nj.us/health/cd/req_imm.shtml

This is the code for a Religious Exemption which states the school should not question the parent's written statement of religious exemption. Do with that whatever your own value system requires
There you go OP. Religious reasons.
Bonus book #26- Parasite(Parasitology #1) Mira Grant
2014 Reading Challenge: 35 Books
#1-Bad Monkey Carl Hiaasen, #2- Undead and Unwed MaryJanice Davidson, #3- New Year Island Paul Draker, #4- Belle de Jour: Diary of an Unlikely Call Girl Anonymous, #5-Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers Mary Roach,
#6- Undead and Unemployed MaryJanice Davidson, #7- Infected Scott Sigler, #8- Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex Mary Roach, #9- Flesh Worn Stone John Burks, #10- Uganda Be Kidding Me Chelsea Handler,
#11- The Witness Sandra Brown, #12-Midnight Crossroad Charlaine Harris, #13- Under the Dome Stephen King, #14- Monument 14 Emmy Laybourne, #15- Monument 14: Sky on Fire Emmy Laybourne, #16- The Magicians Lev Grossman, #17, #18, #19- The Strain Trilogy Guillermo Del Toro, #20- A Discovery of Witches Deborah Harkness, #21- Postmortem Patricia Cornwell, #22- The Darkest Minds Alexandra Bracken, #23- The Heist Janet Evanovich and Lee Goldberg, #24- The Town Bentley Little, #25- The Chase Janet Evanovich and Lee Goldberg, #26- Relic Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child
Soldier's*Sweeties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:15 AM   #21
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier's*Sweeties View Post
I would think a bad reaction would also have to fall under that.
Yes, my mistake. I went back and edited. I was multi-tasking and not doing a very good job.
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:20 AM   #22
RitaE
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsJack View Post
There could actually be a reason for the law/regulation. Remember the regulations are made for children in any preschool/child care/ head start setting across a state or region. Some children need to be protected from the flu and need to be protected from being around others with the flu.

In many states the regulations are for children from ages 6 weeks to 5 years so its not just for a healthy, 4 year old child. Its also for the 8 week old with health problems that has to be in child care while mom works.

If the OP's child has issues talking the shot, then she can get something from her dr. but that doesn't mean every parent out there should lie their way out of getting it for their child.
I think it is one of those things that everybody needs to decide for themselves where it crosses into a lie.

For instance, it is my personal religious belief that our Bible charges parents with the duty of raising and guiding their children. I believe that abdicating the duty and rights of parenthood to government authorities or anybody other than myself or my husband contradicts my religious duty.

I wouldn't say that in a statement though. Keep it as brief and uncontroversial and arguable as possible.

I apply for an exemption of the "XXXX vaccine" for my son XXXXX as it in contradictory to our family's religious beliefs.

and sign it.
RitaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:23 AM   #23
robinb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurvy View Post
And though I am sure that many other posters will also point this out, the flu is a deadly disease for many people each year. It's early for flu season right now and there are already lots of cases in my area so I imagine this is going to be a particularly bad year for flu.
I was going to just say the same thing. Sadly, children die of the flu every year.

OP, you said your oldest had a bad reaction to the flu shot. What kind of a reaction was it? Was it a shot or the mist? Maybe the mist would be a better option if you are forced to vaccinate your child.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:24 AM   #24
Colleen27
DIS Veteran

I'd talk to my doctor about getting a medical waiver based on the severity of the older sibling's reaction. Ours expressed a willingness to do that if we needed because after my older DD's reactions to her vaccines we decided to follow a modified schedule for both our girls in order to administer only one vaccine at a time to better identify problems. So even though it wasn't younger DD who had the issue, our pediatrician felt older DD's reactions justified caution with younger DD as well and would have provided a medical excuse on those grounds. Fortunately for us it wasn't an issue - the girls had all their required shots by the time they started school - but if we'd needed to enroll them in daycare we'd have needed that waiver to do so.

Colleen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:25 AM   #25
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraJayne View Post
Well, I did a little googling and it seems in New Jersey, it is the law, which personally, I find outrageous.

I'd opt out on religious grounds, even if that isn't true.

So now the NJ government gets to decide what goes in your children's body, not you, the parent.
First, none of my family gets a flu shot, so I would also be upset over this. BUT, do those of you complaining have a problem with schools & daycares requiring chicken pox vaccines or polio or any of the half dozen or so inoculations our kids get and have to show the school they got?
Bay Lake Towers, WDW June 1 - June 6, 2011
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
sam_gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:27 AM   #26
Christopher Robin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsjack View Post
there could actually be a reason for the law/regulation. Remember the regulations are made for children in any preschool/child care/ head start setting across a state or region. Some children need to be protected from the flu and need to be protected from being around others with the flu.

If the op's child has issues talking the shot, then she can get something from her dr. But that doesn't mean every parent out there should lie their way out of getting it for their child.
ymmv
Christopher Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:29 AM   #27
Tigger&Belle
I'm the good girl on the DIS

Snarky is my middle name
So many comments, so many points

Crazy to require the vaccine. Yes, in most people the vaccine is rather harmless and may reduce the likelihood of getting the flu (or reduce the symptoms, if a person does still contract it). However, I just reviewed a journal article about the efficacy rates of the flu vaccine, and it's not high. The article didn't recommend not getting the vaccine, but it did not give it glowing reviews, to say the least. The biggest way to reduce the chances of getting the flu is proper handwashing--washing often and washing well--and not putting fingers in the mouth, nose, or eyes. Last year I did get a flu shot, given that I was a preschool teacher, however this year, I am a student and I haven't decided it I will get the shot. I hope you can get out of getting it based on medical reasons.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:33 AM   #28
luvsJack
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RitaE View Post
I think it is one of those things that everybody needs to decide for themselves where it crosses into a lie.

For instance, it is my personal religious belief that our Bible charges parents with the duty of raising and guiding their children. I believe that abdicating the duty and rights of parenthood to government authorities or anybody other than myself or my husband contradicts my religious duty.

I wouldn't say that in a statement though. Keep it as brief and uncontroversial and arguable as possible.

I apply for an exemption of the "XXXX vaccine" for my son XXXXX as it in contradictory to our family's religious beliefs.

and sign it.

I am all for a parent having their own rights and duties to raising their children. The problem is that too many people are only thinking of THEIR child. The state regulations for things such as this are not about YOUR child only. Its about all of the children that fall in that age group that are in child care and preschool. They cannot just protect your child but must protect all children. Additionally, they may also be protecting younger siblings at home, elderly grandparents or others in the home that may not be able to get the flu shot and don't need the 4 year old bringing it home to them.

If you are not one of the religions that specifically are against immunizations and/or medical care then you are, in fact, lying.

If the child had a reaction just get a note from the dr. There is no reason to lie about it.

10 pounds closer to Skinny Island!
luvsJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:34 AM   #29
renae3
Mouseketeer

OP here....thanks so much for all the replies. My oldest just ended up with a fever from the shot, but I never even told the doctor. When I called the school I told them about my reason being because my oldest had a bad reaction and she said that was not a reason and I had to get it done or she couldn't come back to school. Now if I say it is a religious reason, they know I am lying. Will they question me? I hate to lie, but I am feeling so backed into a corner.
renae3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:37 AM   #30
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

Quote:
Originally Posted by renae3 View Post
Hello. My daughter attends preschool, 2 days a week for 2 1/2 hours. I was just given a letter saying it is mandatory for her to get the flu shot. I called and told them I don't get my kids the flu shot. My oldest had a very bad reaction, and since then I haven't gotten them. She says it is the law for preschool, not older kids. My question is I really don't want to give her the shot, what can I do? She told me if it was a religious reason, only then could I get out of it. Obviously, I am torn and am kinda upset. I mean its the flu, not the measles or some deadly disease. Anyone have any ideas??
The flu is deadly, and young children are at a higher risk of complications.
Having said that, I certainly don't believe it should be required by law. Parents should be the ones to decide whether or not they want their child to have the vaccine. Since one of your children had a bad reaction I would speak to your pediatrician and see if he can give you a medical waiver for your youngest.
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: