Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2012, 09:50 PM   #256
jahber
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytieeldr
This year's flu vaccine appears to be extremely effective against this year's flu mutation (see DISers own reports in this thread, as well as official reports).

Because the virus mutates as it travels from one victim to the next, one vaccine can't be effective. The vaccine has to be adapted to fight the specific mutation.
Ok. Yes, the flu vaccine needs to change every year, perhaps even more often. I certainly understand that and I wasn't arguing that. However, the new report I read about flu efficacy from the University of Minnesota specifically says, "there is no evidence to support the idea that flu vaccine is more effective in years when the strains included in the shot are a good match for those circulating in nature." The point of the study is that, historically, the flu vaccine is just not as effective as we've been led to believe, even when the strains are well matched.

So, we choose not to use the vaccine. If one day the CDC can prove that the flu vaccine will eradicate or vastly reduce the incidence of the flu, we will reconsider the vaccine. That's all I'm saying. I'm not trying to be a radical anti-vaccine activist. I'm trying to explain my much-deliberated decision to not to use a vaccine that can't be proven to be effective. But perhaps I'm just not being clear, so I apologize.
Dream 4-night Bahamas 5/12
WDW too many times to count!
jahber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:01 PM   #257
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

I've always felt I'd rather be protected from some of the strains rather than none. I don't understand not getting it because it's not 100%. Even if it protects against 50%, it's better than none. I've gotten it the past 5 or 6 years because I traveled frequently and never got the flu. Who knows if I was exposed or not, you never really know. You only know if it didn't work.
Register to remove

Old 12-07-2012, 10:06 PM   #258
disney1990
Wow, it make my heart skip a beat
I'm going to miss these when the season ends
Lighting the Way to Paradise

I spent one year in bed for 10 days with the flu - NEVER AGAIN. Perhaps some will change their minds when the get "the flu". Not some virus that is going around.

disney1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:13 PM   #259
mfd25wife
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney1990 View Post
I spent one year in bed for 10 days with the flu - NEVER AGAIN. Perhaps some will change their minds when the get "the flu". Not some virus that is going around.
I didn't. I definitely had the flu. And when I had H1N1, they made me wear the surgical mask. I got pneumonia from H1N1 so it just kept dragging out and I got even more meds. I didn't think I was ever going to feel right. As the saying goes, I wasn't sure if I was dying or just wanted to. I still don't have my DD get vaccinated.
mfd25wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:50 PM   #260
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahber View Post
In fact, my children and I came down with a violent case of the exact strain we were "immunized" against. The nurse was shocked when she saw the results of the strain test. The thing is, we ended up with the flu AGAIN the next year after the shot. And I'm talking bad enough to go to the doctor, although they didn't test that time because it was so obvious we had the flu (and maybe didn't want to report another case of flu after a vaccine?). So, we don't get the vaccine anymore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jahber View Post
I'm not sure what you're arguing against here. I didn't say I only approve of vaccines that guarantee 100% effectiveness. Nor did I imply that the flu vaccine should provide immunity for more than one flu season. I said I personally approve of vaccines that *work*, in other words, that fulfill their purpose of eliminating or vastly reducing a disease among the vaccinated population. At least, that's what I was taught in my medical sciences classes. Perhaps others have a different understanding of what an effective vaccine does. Incidences of small pox, measles, rubella, etc, have been drastically reduced or officially eradicated (small pox) by vaccines. While the flu vaccine CAN be effective when it is well matched to the strain you actually contract, it has not happened for my family. And in fact, according to independent sources--including those already mentioned previously--the vaccines have not been nearly as effective as we've been led to believe. I hope that helps clear up any confusion about the point I was trying to make.
Actually I am confused by your post. Perhaps I read it wrong, but the bolded sounds as if you had expected to be protected from the flu the following year
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:00 PM   #261
robinb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfd25wife View Post
I didn't. I definitely had the flu. And when I had H1N1, they made me wear the surgical mask. I got pneumonia from H1N1 so it just kept dragging out and I got even more meds. I didn't think I was ever going to feel right. As the saying goes, I wasn't sure if I was dying or just wanted to. I still don't have my DD get vaccinated.
I guess it's your choice, but I find it shocking that you would not want to TRY to protect your child from such a traumatic experience.
robinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:19 AM   #262
mfd25wife
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinb View Post
I guess it's your choice, but I find it shocking that you would not want to TRY to protect your child from such a traumatic experience.
She has a strong immune system. Mine is compromised. If something walks by me, I catch it. She doesn't. DH won't bring work clothes home because he doesn't want to carry home what he gets into working with patients. he washes them at the station.
mfd25wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:11 AM   #263
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinb View Post
A car accident is traumatic. Should we keep kids out of cars to protect them from being in one?

Is it just me or when someone says "we don't get the flu shot" others try to convince them they need it. But if someone says "we get the flu shot" no one says "you shouldn't".

I'm 42 years old, never had the shot, never gotten the flu. No one in my family got the flu. I'm simply not convinced the shot lives up to the hype. My choice. You want the shot? Go for it.
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
sam_gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:38 AM   #264
A_Princess'_Daddy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbi View Post
I know about Herbert Spencer but Darwin inspired the phrase and is more associated with it. The post I answered asked about Darwin so I used it.

I understand your argument but feel that whether or not a child is vaccinated is a decision that should rest with the parents and not with the government.
If you understand Spencer and Darwin's theories, why did you misrepresent how their theories of natural selection and survival of the fittest would cause Darwin to be anti-vaccination, since neither theory (one of which was not even his) would in any way translate to an objection to vaccinations?
Old 12-09-2012, 10:03 AM   #265
disney1990
Wow, it make my heart skip a beat
I'm going to miss these when the season ends
Lighting the Way to Paradise

http://video.msnbc.msn.com/nightly-n...1467/#50131467

The flu season is early this year and is hitting hard. 5 children have already died so far. In 2009/2010, also bad year, more than 279 children died from the flu and countless adults. This is not a risk that I am willing to take.

disney1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:08 AM   #266
mefordis
Imitation: the sincerest form of flattery

Quote:
Originally Posted by RitaE View Post
According to this website it is the law in New Jersey

http://www.state.nj.us/health/cd/req_imm.shtml

This is the code for a Religious Exemption which states the school should not question the parent's written statement of religious exemption. Do with that whatever your own value system requires
If you take this route you cannot pick and choose which ones to give your kids. You must stop all vaccination and write a statement explaining that you have done so.

If you have received the other 18 or so vaccinations required by NJ, why do you have a problem with this one?

If you believe in the right for a NJ parent to choose whether or not to vaccinate, call your legislature and ask them to vote yes on A2450 when it comes up for a vote.

http://njvaccinationchoice.org/why-are-we/

Oct 2013 Boardwalk Villas
Aug 2010 Wilderness Lodge
May 2009 DLR Grand Californian
April 2008 POFQ
Aug 2007 - Condo
May 2007 Yacht Club
Sept 2006 CSR/POR

Last edited by mefordis; 12-09-2012 at 11:17 AM.
mefordis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:34 PM   #267
Mouse House Mama
Luckiest Mommy in the World!!!
Hello-Buddy the Elf what's your favorite color?!
I wonder if they make pullups for adults
I was not the farter- I was the fartee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mefordis View Post
If you take this route you cannot pick and choose which ones to give your kids. You must stop all vaccination and write a statement explaining that you have done so.

If you have received the other 18 or so vaccinations required by NJ, why do you have a problem with this one?

If you believe in the right for a NJ parent to choose whether or not to vaccinate, call your legislature and ask them to vote yes on A2450 when it comes up for a vote.

http://njvaccinationchoice.org/why-are-we/
Well, in my religion it states (condensed version of course) that dh and I as parents are to make the decisions regarding our children's well being. So yes, we could get 18 other vaccines and decide this one is not happening. That is our religious right.
Thanks be to God for this indescribable gift....
WL Sept. 2004,Poly June 2005,Poly April 2006 with Grandma & Grandpa, Pop Aug. 2006, WL Dec. 2006, FW Cabins Feb. 2007,AllStar Music Jan. 2008, Poly Aug. 2008,Yacht Club Aug. 2009, Poly Aug. 2009, Pop Aug. 2011, Pop May 2012, All Star Music June 2013, Bonnet Creek July 2013
Mouse House Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:53 PM   #268
sookie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_gordon View Post
A car accident is traumatic. Should we keep kids out of cars to protect them from being in one?

Is it just me or when someone says "we don't get the flu shot" others try to convince them they need it. But if someone says "we get the flu shot" no one says "you shouldn't".

I'm 42 years old, never had the shot, never gotten the flu. No one in my family got the flu. I'm simply not convinced the shot lives up to the hype. My choice. You want the shot? Go for it.
Do you put your kids in a car seat?
sookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:20 PM   #269
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012

Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse House Mama View Post
Well, in my religion it states (condensed version of course) that dh and I as parents are to make the decisions regarding our children's well being. So yes, we could get 18 other vaccines and decide this one is not happening. That is our religious right.
That's not comparable to your religion prohibiting medicine or medical intervention.
kaytieeldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:49 PM   #270
Mickey'snewestfan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytieeldr
That's not comparable to your religion prohibiting medicine or medical intervention.
Nope but both are valid reasons for getting a waiver.
Mickey'snewestfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: