Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2012, 08:54 AM   #1
renae3
Mouseketeer

Is it possible to get out of getting my dtr the flu shot?

Hello. My daughter attends preschool, 2 days a week for 2 1/2 hours. I was just given a letter saying it is mandatory for her to get the flu shot. I called and told them I don't get my kids the flu shot. My oldest had a very bad reaction, and since then I haven't gotten them. She says it is the law for preschool, not older kids. My question is I really don't want to give her the shot, what can I do? She told me if it was a religious reason, only then could I get out of it. Obviously, I am torn and am kinda upset. I mean its the flu, not the measles or some deadly disease. Anyone have any ideas??
renae3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:56 AM   #2
mamacatnv
I am the queen of straw!
Almost anything can be fixed with pasta
Do my DH's "Shorty Shorts" count?
I go in search of code!

The flu shot is the "Law"
Wow, that's a new one to me
Is this a normal mandate???? It's been a long time since my kidlets were in preschool
POFQ-1/1-1/9/07, ASMu-Dec 05/Jan 06 ASSp-Dec 99/Jan 00 Turn of the Century
Thanks AidensMom
mamacatnv is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-05-2012, 08:59 AM   #3
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by renae3 View Post
Hello. My daughter attends preschool, 2 days a week for 2 1/2 hours. I was just given a letter saying it is mandatory for her to get the flu shot. I called and told them I don't get my kids the flu shot. My oldest had a very bad reaction, and since then I haven't gotten them. She says it is the law for preschool, not older kids. My question is I really don't want to give her the shot, what can I do? She told me if it was a religious reason, only then could I get out of it. Obviously, I am torn and am kinda upset. I mean its the flu, not the measles or some deadly disease. Anyone have any ideas??
No, the flu shot is not "the law". What state are you in?

If they continue to press it, you can do one of two things ~ push back and say you refuse or put your child in another pre-school.

My kids don't get the flu shot, either.
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:00 AM   #4
Soldier's*Sweeties
I WILL walk three miles in the snow, uphill, barefoot for a Pumpkin Spice Latte
I'll take the Palmettos

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacatnv
The flu shot is the "Law"
Wow, that's a new one to me
Is this a normal mandate???? It's been a long time since my kidlets were in preschool
My kids have never needed a flu shot by law. They were just updated on their shots for school a few months ago and we weren't even asked if we wanted it.(It wasn't given, I keep track of what they get.)
Bonus book #26- Parasite(Parasitology #1) Mira Grant
2014 Reading Challenge: 35 Books
#1-Bad Monkey Carl Hiaasen, #2- Undead and Unwed MaryJanice Davidson, #3- New Year Island Paul Draker, #4- Belle de Jour: Diary of an Unlikely Call Girl Anonymous, #5-Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers Mary Roach,
#6- Undead and Unemployed MaryJanice Davidson, #7- Infected Scott Sigler, #8- Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex Mary Roach, #9- Flesh Worn Stone John Burks, #10- Uganda Be Kidding Me Chelsea Handler,
#11- The Witness Sandra Brown, #12-Midnight Crossroad Charlaine Harris, #13- Under the Dome Stephen King, #14- Monument 14 Emmy Laybourne
Soldier's*Sweeties is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:01 AM   #5
Soldier's*Sweeties
I'll take the Palmettos

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraJayne

No, the flu shot is not "the law". What state are you in?

If they continue to press it, you can do one of two things ~ push back and say you refuse or put your child in another pre-school.

My kids don't get the flu shot, either.
Phew... Mine don't either but I afraid to say so here on the DIS lol!
#1-Bad Monkey Carl Hiaasen, #2- Undead and Unwed MaryJanice Davidson, #3- New Year Island Paul Draker, #4- Belle de Jour: Diary of an Unlikely Call Girl Anonymous, #5-Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers Mary Roach,
#6- Undead and Unemployed MaryJanice Davidson, #7- Infected Scott Sigler, #8- Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex Mary Roach, #9- Flesh Worn Stone John Burks, #10- Uganda Be Kidding Me Chelsea Handler,
#11- The Witness Sandra Brown, #12-Midnight Crossroad Charlaine Harris, #13- Under the Dome Stephen King, #14- Monument 14 Emmy Laybourne
Old 12-05-2012, 09:02 AM   #6
renae3
Mouseketeer

We live in New Jersey and I was told by the school it is a state law. My daughter loves the school and actually so do I, so I would hate to have to find another preschool.
renae3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:03 AM   #7
Scurvy
Kungaloosh!

Quote:
Does she really mean it is actually the law, or is it just the rule for that particular preschool? If its just a policy that the preschool itself has, then you could just try to find one that doesn't require the shot and move your daughter to that one.

And though I am sure that many other posters will also point this out, the flu is a deadly disease for many people each year. It's early for flu season right now and there are already lots of cases in my area so I imagine this is going to be a particularly bad year for flu.

ETA- I see that it's apparently the law for every preschool. In that case, switching wouldn't work. Maybe you could get a nanny or babysitter and remove your daughter from preschool. Or maybe there's a process to get a medical waiver? Or you could just have her get the shot.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:04 AM   #8
Soldier's*Sweeties
I'll take the Palmettos

Quote:
Originally Posted by renae3
We live in New Jersey and I was told by the school it is a state law. My daughter loves the school and actually so do I, so I would hate to have to find another preschool.
So try to get a waiver from the doctor. My friend doesn't immunize her children because if an issue she had with her first born and gets a waiver from the doc to enroll them in school or after school things.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:04 AM   #9
Christopher Robin
DIS Veteran

Lie.
'Laws' like that don't deserve the respect of the truth.
Say its for religious reasons.
Your kid, your choice.
Christopher Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:05 AM   #10
luvsJack
DIS Veteran

It very well could be a regulation of your state, every state has their own regulations (or laws) for preschool/child care. You can access your state's regulations on line. Just google it.

But, if your child had a bad reaction to the shot; you should be able to get a letter from her dr. stating this. They can put it in her file and that will stand in place of her having the flu shot.

10 pounds closer to Skinny Island!
luvsJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:05 AM   #11
monkeybug
I feel safer when I know where they are than I do when they're crawlin' around unknown

I get my kids the flu shot, and am all about vaccines, but I don't think the flu shot is one a school should require you to get. I've never heard of that before.
If it's a private preschool your only option might be just choosing a different one though.

We had a child in our little private preschool once who had a weak immune system due to a medical issue, and the school let everyone know that it would help protect the child if the rest of the kids got their flu shot. It certainly wasn't required though.
monkeybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:06 AM   #12
SaraJayne

Quote:
Well, I did a little googling and it seems in New Jersey, it is the law, which personally, I find outrageous.

I'd opt out on religious grounds, even if that isn't true.

So now the NJ government gets to decide what goes in your children's body, not you, the parent.
Old 12-05-2012, 09:09 AM   #13
bettymae1121
sure. fine. whatever.

It probably isn't really a "law" just a rule of the pre-school. Either way there is usually a medical waiver allowed, some kids just can't be vaccinated due to bad reactions. I'd find out for sure which it is, then push the fact that you have a real medical reason not to vaccinate regardless.

I'm big into getting kids vaccinated, but if there is an allergy (or real concern there might be an allergy) of course one shouldn't get vaccinated. That's just common sense.

bettymae1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:09 AM   #14
Lintasare
Holy
Hello. My name is Inigo Peeptoya...you ate my father...prepare to die
Ok fess up...who killed the riddle?

I guess I don't see what is wrong with getting the flu shot unless the recipient is allergic to it, has religious objections to it or has had a bad reaction in the past as stated.

Lintasare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:10 AM   #15
SaraJayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsJack View Post
It very well could be a regulation of your state, every state has their own regulations (or laws) for preschool/child care. You can access your state's regulations on line. Just google it.

But, if your child had a bad reaction to the shot; you should be able to get a letter from her dr. stating this. They can put it in her file and that will stand in place of her having the flu shot.
In New Jersey, the only way to opt out of the shot is a religious reason. Oops, I meant to add medical, too. Sorry, shouldn't do 2 things at once.

Quote:
As of September 2008, children attending licensed child care or preschool were required to receive two additional vaccines:
  • annual, seasonal influenza vaccine by December 31 of each year, and
  • pneumococcal conjugate vaccine.
Quote:
New Jerseys immunization regulations provide for medical and religious exemptions. Objections to vaccination that are of a philosophical, moral, secular or of a more general nature are not acceptable.
http://www.state.nj.us/health/cd/req_imm.shtml#ir

Last edited by SaraJayne; 12-05-2012 at 09:14 AM. Reason: Added

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: