DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2012, 08:50 AM   #1
keishashadow
Proud Redhead
When you gotta go, you gotta go ... it's a girl thing
Hmmm, I lust
I TOLD YOU SO!

Marathon (2014) Weekend Questions

Going to move our existing DCL cruise to 1st week in January, 2014, tomorrow.

Just realized we'll likely run intothe marathon weekend folks afterwards at WDW. Not sure if this is an uh-oh sort of moment or not.

Will book DVC at 11 months out, wondering what odds are to switch to less pricer resorts (AK, OKW, even BW standard) for 2 studios at the 7 month mark for the Thursday & Friday prior to the Marathon.

We had discussed just booking via CRO value or moderate but after checking mousesavers historical rates for '13 only see room only discounts and my DS so enjoys the DP.

Also, for those who have been...is it crazy crowded then? Figured it'd be best to do the MK on Thursday, then whatever. We'd be leaving WDW late on Saturday prior. Believe there's typically a half marathon scheduled during the event.

Any planning suggestions for this time frame are welcome.

keishashadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:30 AM   #2
drusba

DIS Veteran

As far as DVC demand for marathon weekend goes, the highest demand nights are Thurs through Monday. As long as you attempt to reserve exactly 7 months out, you will likely be able to get OKW; if you are thinking AKV value, the chances are likely to be low but standard or savanna view should be available; likewise BWV standard and boardwalk view are likely to be gone but pool/garden may be open.

Though Marathon weekend adds somewhat to crowds, parks are usually quite manageable. the half marathon is Sat and the marathon Sunday. What you mainly get both days is blocking of some roads and alternate bus routes that can take a little longer to and from parks. But even that is only in the morning.

Last edited by drusba; 12-05-2012 at 09:40 AM.
drusba is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-05-2012, 03:09 PM   #3
keishashadow
Proud Redhead
Hmmm, I lust
I TOLD YOU SO!

drusba - thank you

Old 12-05-2012, 04:49 PM   #4
chepic
I tear up whenever I hear "Welcome Home." Some people say I have "issues."

We booked at OKW at 6 months out for that weekend with no difficulty. My husband ran the marathon this past Jan. We stayed from Wed-Tues. Never thought the crowds were crazy with the exception of the ESPN sports complex where all the runners have to go to get their numbers. Also, the family events are there.

We went into MK and Hollywood studios and it didn't seem crazy at all.

hope that helps

cheryl
Old 12-05-2012, 09:20 PM   #5
keishashadow
Proud Redhead
Hmmm, I lust
I TOLD YOU SO!

thanx, encouraging to hear

Old 12-07-2012, 07:07 AM   #6
crewmatt
DIS Veteran

We do the marathon every year. For the most part its fairly transparent to the other guests. While it does raise attendance that weekend, its nothing compared to the holidays. The races start at 5:30 in the morning. They modified the course this year so Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom should be totally free of runners by the time they open. The buses can take a little bit longer in the morning, but depending on where you end up you can easily head to AK or MK and avoid the bus delays (obviously if your at AKL I'd goto AK that morning, if you're at OKW I'd goto MK - you can find the course online). For the half marathon saturday, I dont think you'll see any actual delays unless you're a rope dropper. And even then only around EPCOT.

As far as rooms go, a lot of the marathoners are DVC-ers, so as long as you're not trying for a hard to book category anyway, you should be fine at the 7 month window.

crewmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:52 PM   #7
El&Asmom
DIS Veteran

We changed resorts last year only a month out before the marathon with no problems getting a room at SSR. When we booked about 5 months out there were lots of rooms available. BLT books first since it has monorail access to the start.

Crowds aren't bad. We thought they were better that weekend than MLK weekend when we typically go in January.

Very sad I'll be missing the 20y anniversary of the marathon this year. It's a great marathon.

3/96 Frist trip with dh. Offsite
2/05 DD1s first trip at 19 months AKL
9/06 DD2s first trip at 9 months CSR
6/07 Bought into HH DVC!
8/07 Addonitis at SSR
9/07 BWV/SSR
1/08 POR/OKW- NAVC
El&Asmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:29 PM   #8
keishashadow
Proud Redhead
Hmmm, I lust
I TOLD YOU SO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by El&Asmom View Post
We changed resorts last year only a month out before the marathon with no problems getting a room at SSR. When we booked about 5 months out there were lots of rooms available. BLT books first since it has monorail access to the start.

Crowds aren't bad. We thought they were better that weekend than MLK weekend when we typically go in January.

Very sad I'll be missing the 20y anniversary of the marathon this year. It's a great marathon.
maybe next year? DH was considering the 'fun' halloween one this year but we missed the registration deadline, just as well since he wound up developing pneunomia and barely was able to walk around the parks. Raring to go now though. Spoke to several people in line during MNSSHP that did that run and said it was an 'off' experience as to organization.

anyway, i'm happy to report i was able to book the cabins I wanted.

now to figure out the accommodations on either end of it.

Old 12-08-2012, 01:03 PM   #9
Irishmom23
DIS Veteran
Some Tag Fairies are IRISH themselves! :-D

We were at the BWV during Marathon weekend last year. It just happened to be the time we chose to visit WDW. We cheered the runners on as they entered the park near BCV and it was a blast to see them in the parks wearing their medals and congratulating them. It gave my daughter and I incentive to start running ourselves, and we are hoping to run in the 10miler at TOT next October, and eventually the Princess 1/2 marathon. We thought the crowds level wasn't too bad at all, much less than when we returned in June
Old 12-09-2012, 09:12 AM   #10
DisneyDudet
Disney Music Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishmom23 View Post
We were at the BWV during Marathon weekend last year. It just happened to be the time we chose to visit WDW. We cheered the runners on as they entered the park near BCV and it was a blast to see them in the parks wearing their medals and congratulating them. It gave my daughter and I incentive to start running ourselves, and we are hoping to run in the 10miler at TOT next October, and eventually the Princess 1/2 marathon. We thought the crowds level wasn't too bad at all, much less than when we returned in June
This happened to us, too! In 2003, we encountered the Marathon, but that didn't cause ANY impact on crowds, as no one was traveling period. My dad said that he wanted to run the marathon for his 50th birthday. So, in 2009, my dad and I ran the Disney Marathon!! My mom ran the half. We have been running Disney ever since! I have completed 10 Disney running events!! I don't want to run anywhere else! And I say run... I really mean run slow/walk

As far as the weekend, the worst part is navigating TRAVEL to the parks on race days. The Saturday of the half will only impact travel in and around Epcot and MK. Sunday will impact all parks. You will receive info in your room regarding how to get to parks. The major park is Epcot, as the races start and end there. To get to Epcot, you'll have to go to MK first, then a monorail to Epcot.

Lots of people will end up leaving Sunday night or Monday morning, so crowds will drop a bit. The lines are never really bad, especially if you go during any kind of holiday or summer usually.

Weather is also an issue... I've been there during the sleet and snow marathon weekend, and this year it was nice (cold in the morning).

Either way, marathon weekend is a great and inspirational weekend to be there. You never know... you may be sucked into RunDisney!

Morgan, RN
Next up:
Princess Half Marathon- CSR and AKL-K
Off Site-6/90, 1/03, 6/09, 8/09, 2/11 POFQ-6/92, 12/08, ASMu-6/95, POR-6/97, 6/00, FW, 6/02, BWI-6/02, 2/13, Dolphin-6/03, 10/13 AKL-12/03, 12/05, 12/10, 2/11, 2/12 WL-5-6/05, ASSp-1/06, Swan-10/07, POP-9/08, 1/09, 4-5/09, 1/12, 12/12, ASMo-1/10, CBR-3/09, OKW-12/09, 3/10, 1/11, 6/11, BLT-6/10, 12/12, 10/13 Kidani-5/11, AoA-10/13,DLR-6/06, 9/09, 9/10, 9/11, 12/11, 9/12 DLParis-12/07, DCL-Wonder-5/02, 6/08 Magic-1/07, 6/09, Dream-2/11, Fantasy- 5/12, 10/13
"Stopping in the middle is distinctly unpatriotic." Sam Eagle (Muppet 3D)

Proud DVC Owner at Bay Lake Tower at Disney's Contemporary Resort!

DisneyDudet is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: