Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2012, 01:06 AM   #1
theworldneedscolor
DIS Veteran

Appropriate Censorship at High School Level

I am a junior in high school, and taking a sports medicine class. Our teacher had a fire fighter and ER trauma nurse talk to us, which for starters, is totally unrelated. But, in my opinion, they were also unnecessarily graphic. The ER nurse showed pictures of people with total body burns, split open heads, missing appendages....and the worst was a man impaled by a stop sign. Today, a fire fighter showed us multiple videos of people on fire, including footage of the Station nightclub fire. Now, I generally handle gore well in tv/movies. But I am still disturbed by these images.

So my question is, do you think this is appropriate to show in a high school? And if you were a parent of a student in my class, would you say something?

theworldneedscolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:58 AM   #2
Marionnette
Wishing On A Star
I stop in the middle and make others step over me while pretending not to understand English

Quote:
Originally Posted by theworldneedscolor View Post
I am a junior in high school, and taking a sports medicine class. Our teacher had a fire fighter and ER trauma nurse talk to us, which for starters, is totally unrelated. But, in my opinion, they were also unnecessarily graphic. The ER nurse showed pictures of people with total body burns, split open heads, missing appendages....and the worst was a man impaled by a stop sign. Today, a fire fighter showed us multiple videos of people on fire, including footage of the Station nightclub fire. Now, I generally handle gore well in tv/movies. But I am still disturbed by these images.

So my question is, do you think this is appropriate to show in a high school? And if you were a parent of a student in my class, would you say something?
High school juniors around here are old enough to drive and go out on their own. Yes, I think it's appropriate to show these kinds of pictures. It gets kids to think about their actions and safety. We do drunk driving demos, complete with staged triage and mangled wreckage parked in the student parking lot, in the week leading up to prom. Teenagers think that they are 8 feet tall and indestructible. They need to be reminded that they aren't. If it saves a life, it's worth it.

Marionnette is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-05-2012, 06:22 AM   #3
Mkrop
I just cant go on demand
Hi my name is Mkop and I am a cart leaver!

I see NO problem whatsoever with showing those images to high schoolers. If you were left feeling disturbed than the presentation was successful! The graphic images were meant to have you and other teens think before they do anything. EVERY TIME you get behind the wheel of a car, you need to understand the responsibility of driving that machine, you could hurt/kill yourself or others. So no texting, getting distracted etc. It is to make you and other teens THINK before getting into a car if you are drinking behind the wheel or allowing someone else to drive if they have been drinking. There are consquences to these actions and sometimes those actions result in some SERIOUS and GRAPHIC consquences. Most teens unfortunately do no think this can happen to them.
June 2008 Contemporary
Dec 2008 Boardwalk Inn
June 2009 Disneyland Hotel and DCA
Jan 2010 DVC Boardwalk Villas
Dec 2010 DVC BLT
July-Aug 2011 Disneyland Park Vue Inn
Dec 2011 DVC BW
July 2012 DVC BC
Dec 2013 DVC AKL/BW
Mkrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:59 AM   #4
BuzznBelle'smom
There are tomato-ey paw prints all around the stove
I've never had it burn, and I do this regularly

I'm a former firefighter/EMT/EMT instructor. Yes, it's appropriate. It's horrible to see what the laws of physics can do to a human body. As others have stated, if you're old enough to drive, you're old enough to see the consequences of risky behavior. If you left the class disturbed by what you saw, that's a good thing. You can't change what happened to the people in those images, but what you can do is honor them, by thinking before you do something stupid.

FTR, my kids have seen stuff like that, from a younger age. Usually we start in middle school, but my oldest (now 17) wanted to be a forensic pathologist for a long time, so we watched stuff like "Cadaver Lab" with her when she was 8 or so. We also have plenty of EMT books lying around the house (DH is an EMT and Ski Patroller at present).
BuzznBelle'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:05 AM   #5
4HppyCamprs
DIS Veteran

Life happens and at the high school level I think a student can handle those images. Some of the worst horror movies that I don't watch are nc-17. Life is not always clean and palatable. I wish people would show those images to kids when they get their drivers licenses especially the ones that are the results of texting and driving. Are you wanting your parents to complain?

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
09 ASMu 1st Visit! Grandma came too! Free dining 2010 POR 2nd Visit! Grandma is along for the ride! Free dining! 03/05-09/2012 POLY here we come!! We love Disney and Grandma does too! No dining plan and we loved it! DoubleTree DTD: 3/10-3/15/13 The whole gang! Best Trip yet! First Cruise: 1/6-1/10/14 Disney Magic. 2nd Cruise: 10/23-10/28/15 Disney Magic.
Me: Heather DH: DS #1 (11/04) DS #2 (2/09) DD (08/11) rincess:
4HppyCamprs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:08 AM   #6
mjkacmom
DIS Veteran

Our middle school shows students pictures of sexual organs covered in STD's. I have no problem with what you were shown, especially with the issue of teens driving. Our HS just does a big mock-up of bloody kids and a wrecked vehicle on the street in front of the HS.
mjkacmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:46 AM   #7
aubriee
Chocolate always makes things better

I agree. As a nurse I've seen so much. I would have no problem with teens being shown those images. Maybe it will cause them to stop and think.

For the last 14 1/2 years I have been a psychiatric RN. Most of the time mental illness is inherited, but alot of what we see in our chronic patients is the result of drug abuse. We have so many patients that have simply fried their brains on drugs and now we get them as either homeless indigent patients or long term patients that will be hospitalized for the rest of their lives. Sometimes I wish I could show videos of these patients to teens experimenting with drugs. Like most teens I'm sure our drug addicted patients always thought it couldn't happen to them. That they could handle the drugs they were using. They didn't realize the destruction they were doing to their brains.

Last edited by aubriee; 12-05-2012 at 09:53 AM.
aubriee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:08 PM   #8
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

A sports medicine class will involve images that are gross, like my athletic injury book that showed an ankle fracture happening in a soccer game, where the sole of the foot was facing the sky.

And so I don't see this as being inappropriate.

When I was in jr high, some HS kids went for a ride at lunch, we're coming down a hill to "catch air", and they were in the air as a garbage truck pulled out from a driveway. They could do nothing. They landed and went under the truck. ONE person lived. He saw what happened to his friends. If he could live through that, we can see the images you are talking about (and what he saw was much MUCH worse), if only so it makes us think about what we are doing. Especially after I met him a couple years later, I really realized how frail we all are, and I have tried to be careful. No joyriding for me. Of course, the HS campus was closed after that incident (it was at lunchtime, and they had enjoyed some beverages at the top of the hill) so there wasn't as much opportunity for later classes to be stupid...

Those images are important, even though horrible. And I'm SUPER sensitive, but still, it's OK.

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently maintaining 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:58 PM   #9
melancholywings
How do you prepare for a bank full of nuns?
'I'm thinking of a disney character'

I think it is inappropriate and barbaric. Not all kids are the same, or share the same sensitivity to those kind of images. I was shown a couple of films like this in school and it influenced me in unintended ways. Other classmates got off on how gross it was 'Did you see that dude! He was totally sawed in half!'.

Also some kids have a different sensitivity to death and may have had family that that have died in accidents. Or may in the future. The last thing a child who's dealing with that needs is to see is horrific images of accidents. It makes you wonder for the rest of your life if that's how your love one looked, or if that's how they suffered.

Also I question how 'educational' it really is. You don't need to put a kids hand in a flame to teach them it's hot. And I believe it's possible to talk about safety with out 'shock and aweing' a classroom of students with graphic images.
melancholywings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:10 PM   #10
Lizzybean
Mouseketeer

Medicine can be "gross." I can't imagine what an Ortho surgeon sees everyday. That's why I'm not an ortho surgeon. I think you should expect graphic images in a medical class. Is this course required or elective? I'm going to guess with confidence it's elective. If you don't like graphic medical images don't take classes like that. I think this course and the material is highly beneficial for students considering a career in medicine, nursing, EMT, fire science etc and it's preparing them for what they will learn and see.

I started college at 17 and one of my majors was criminology. I saw much worse and my friends who went on to work in law enforcement and forensics were glad it helped prepare them for what they would experience.

June 2014: Beach Club!
Jan/Feb 2013 at POR
July/August 2012: Fort Wilderness FUN
July 2011: Offsite
90s: Offsite

I'm addicted to the pixie dust!

ME DH DS15 DD10 DD6
Lizzybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 03:48 PM   #11
LilyWDW
Going to My Happy Place

I would have no problem with these images.

1) You are a junior is high school... you are old enough to deal with it.

2) You are in a sports medicine class... you can see some dang bad stuff on the field. If you can't handle some pictures, how will you handle an actual medical emergency? I was a student athletic trainer at my high school. Luckily we didn't have any serious injuries, but they can happen. Have you seen a severe compound fracture of the femur?

"You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway." - Walt Disney
DIS'er OCTOBER 2014 FB Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1398705187009744/

LilyWDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:11 PM   #12
Schmeck
Funny thing is now my 17 year old naps almost every day and so do I!

Since this has absolutely nothing to do with Disney, or families for that matter, could a mod move this to the community board please?
Aug '05 - BC Aug '04 - PC, AKL
Oct '02 - AKL, POR May '99 - CBR
May '96 - CBR Dec '80 - offsite
Schmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:02 PM   #13
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran

When I was in high school, everyone taking drivers ed had to watch the film Wheels of Tragedy (it's now on YouTube; I suggest you do not watch it). It was extremely graphic, showing accident victims. I survived.

I'm not sure why you started a thread on a Disney board about this. If you were upset, you should speak with your parents or teacher.
lost*in*cyberspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:09 PM   #14
chris31997
Disney Kid at Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by melancholywings View Post
I think it is inappropriate and barbaric. Not all kids are the same, or share the same sensitivity to those kind of images. I was shown a couple of films like this in school and it influenced me in unintended ways. Other classmates got off on how gross it was 'Did you see that dude! He was totally sawed in half!'.

Also some kids have a different sensitivity to death and may have had family that that have died in accidents. Or may in the future. The last thing a child who's dealing with that needs is to see is horrific images of accidents. It makes you wonder for the rest of your life if that's how your love one looked, or if that's how they suffered.

Also I question how 'educational' it really is. You don't need to put a kids hand in a flame to teach them it's hot. And I believe it's possible to talk about safety with out 'shock and aweing' a classroom of students with graphic images.

Poster is taking a sports med class. Granted I don't see how those particular pictures are related to sports med. However, sports injury and injury in general can be graphic. I think it is important to show these kids now what they will be seeing if this is a job they want to be doing. Seeing a leg turned backwards due to a knee dislocation or a compound fracture can be stomach turning. If Poster cannot deal with it now, than maybe a new career needs to e chosen. Some of the best DR/First Responders have the most reverent response to what they see.....it is how they cope.

Chrissy
chris31997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:22 PM   #15
theworldneedscolor
DIS Veteran

First of all, sorry if this isn't allowed to post this. I had seen other OT threads, so I assumed it was okay since I wanted to know a parents perspective. If I misunderstood, please move this to a more appropriate board.

Secondly, this is not an elective. It is our mandatory junior health class. I am not going to be a sports trainer, and most people in my class aren't either.

But thank you all for taking the time to respond. Your answers have been very interesting. I do agree that is important to share safety presentations. For me, statistics are enough to keep me from drinking/texting while driving. But I now see that these images are necessary to teach some teens. However, I do not understand the nightclub fire video. The 100 people who died did nothing wrong. And yet we had to watch a video of them trapped, burning alive. What was that supposed to teach us-how to properly build a nightclub?

Quote:
Originally Posted by melancholywings View Post

I think more along these lines. Multiple boys in my class made comments like the one you mentioned.

Also, we had a student in our class who's brother in law was hit by a car while watering his lawn a couple months ago. It was a very brutal accident. I can't imagine how awful it was for her to see these.

Last edited by theworldneedscolor; 12-05-2012 at 05:39 PM.
theworldneedscolor is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: