Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2012, 12:03 PM   #1
sydneysmom
ready to go back to Disney..... NOW!

Kona or switch to Ohana's??

Hi everyone!! I am hoping for advice... I made our ADR's this morning.... so like any other good and loyal Dis-er, I'm now questioning everything I did!

We were first going to try for dinner at Ohana's but then after we thought about the menu, we decided that we'd go to Kona instead. Our DD7 is super picky and I'm not sure she'd like the food at Ohana's. Well, I got Kona booked, then come to find out that at Ohana's, we can ask to order a kids meal for her .

So now my dilemma... do I cancel Kona and go to Ohana's or is Kona really great for dinner? I'm really hoping that everyone can help shed some light. (we haven't ever been to either...)

thank you!!!

2010 : Grand Floridian and MNSSHP
2013 : Grand Floridian and DH's birthday!
2016 : First trip to Universal
sydneysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:11 PM   #2
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

The food quality at Ohana is not very good, IMO. Dry meat, slimy wings, dry potstickers. Not a big fan. I'd go with Kona.

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW

I've been BOO'ED by Forum Jumper!!!
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-03-2012, 12:11 PM   #3
catherines_mama
DIS Veteran

O'hana! The atmosphere is so much better. DD7 will love all the activities. Kids can order off the kids menu for Kona, so she'll definitely find something to like
catherines_mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:12 PM   #4
tinkermommyof3
DIS Veteran

We eat at both every trip. Kona has VERY good food. But, Ohana is always fun and interactive for the kids. I have picky eaters as well. They always were accomodated with foods like chicken nuggets, hot dogs, pasta marinara, mac and cheese, fries. They were offered ice cream sundaes for dessert if they did not want the bread pudding. So, for the fun factor for your child, I would pick Ohana. For the food, both are good choices.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:37 PM   #5
AlohaAnnie
DIS Veteran

Ohana would be more fun for your DD,Our DD is a picky eater, she always eats the bread, meat, & gets ice cream for dessert at Ohana. We always know we have the option of getting her something different but she always wants those three things.

Kona is good also and would also be good with a picky eater but maybe less fun for a child but you have to love that Kona Kone for dessert. It would also mean more choices for the adults.

I also agree both are good choices.

I hope you make the best decision for you and your family! Enjoy!

POR June 2006 POP May/June 2008 CBR Pirate Room & BC May/June 2009 Vero Beach & CSR & AKV Kidani May/June 2010 BLT Oct 2010 BWV March/April 2011 AKV Kidani Dec 2011 BCV/BLT June 2013
WL CL & AKV - Jambo Studio CL March/April2014 OKW - July 2015 AKV Kidani June 2016
AlohaAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:15 PM   #6
PrincessNP
Mouseketeer

Ohana by far! We have eaten there 2-3 times a year for the past several years and never had a bad experience. It's is wonderful! Lots of fun and lots of options. Meats, veggies, bread. Ad they are very accommodating for little ones. Just ask for Mac n cheese, hot dogs, etc. been to Kona one time and was not impressed. Ohana is one of the hottest tickets on property and there is a reason!
Old 12-03-2012, 01:22 PM   #7
FlyingDumbo
DIS Veteran

Ohanas would be more fun for your daughter and we enjoy the food there. Kona also has excellent food so either way you cannot go wrong. But the kids have games they can play at Ohana. I say go to Kona for breakfast and get yourself some Tonga Toast! Ohanas for dinner!
FlyingDumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:29 PM   #8
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Kona has better food to keep both you and your daughter happy. Unless there is a real desire to participate in hula hoop or coconut rolling contests there is no reason to go to 'Ohana.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:36 PM   #9
MouseMomx2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofyintoronto View Post
The food quality at Ohana is not very good, IMO. Dry meat, slimy wings, dry potstickers. Not a big fan. I'd go with Kona.
We have been to 'Ohana three times in the last year and have never had a meal as described above. The meat, especially the beef and shrimp, was perfectly cooked, juicy and delicious. The wings and potstickers were delicious and neither slimy nor dry respectively. Everything was delicious and I would highly recommend it.

Kona used to be a favorite as well, however on our last two trips we have noticed a steady decline. Our meal there on our last trip was the worst of the vacation and we have decided to wait a while before going back.
MouseMomx2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:38 PM   #10
hgeisler
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKW Lover
Kona has better food to keep both you and your daughter happy. Unless there is a real desire to participate in hula hoop or coconut rolling contests there is no reason to go to 'Ohana.
Agree with this
hgeisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:09 PM   #11
kris4360
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MouseMomx2

We have been to 'Ohana three times in the last year and have never had a meal as described above. The meat, especially the beef and shrimp, was perfectly cooked, juicy and delicious. The wings and potstickers were delicious and neither slimy nor dry respectively. Everything was delicious and I would highly recommend it.

Kona used to be a favorite as well, however on our last two trips we have noticed a steady decline. Our meal there on our last trip was the worst of the vacation and we have decided to wait a while before going back.
I was thinking the same thing. We never had wings or potstickers. The menu must have changed. I was there 2 weeks ago and it was oh so good.
kris4360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:12 PM   #12
sephorachick
DIS Veteran

Kona is way better

Me: Husband: Pacey Minnie Vicky Ginger

Check out my Disney blog!
www.yohoyohobloggerslifeforme.blogspot.com
Today's entry is on WDW Trash cans & custodial show at Tokyo DL!

Facebook page for my Disney blog! Please "LIKE"
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Yohoyo...99050306822131
sephorachick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:13 PM   #13
lilsk8nmac
Sweet Cream Cheese pretzel addict!

Kona all the way. Better food IMHO.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:23 PM   #14
sydneysmom
ready to go back to Disney..... NOW!

I really appreciate everyone's opinions!! I think that since our DD is pretty shy, she's most likely not going to participate in the coconut races at Ohana (unless one of us do it with her). So I think we'll stay w/ Kona... I do like the idea that there is more selection at Kona and we can still walk around the grounds and then hop the boat back to MK. Hopefully, we won't go wrong, but it sounds like there's major fans with either one we would pick!! Thank you everyone!!

This is why I love the Dis so much and all the Dis-ers... you can totally feel confused about something and second guess yourself, but everyone here is going to make you feel better about feeling confused and give you terrific advice!

2010 : Grand Floridian and MNSSHP
2013 : Grand Floridian and DH's birthday!
2016 : First trip to Universal
sydneysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:26 PM   #15
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by MouseMomx2 View Post

Thats great. Consider yourself lucky!! once was enough for me. No desire to go back. Bleh! Thats just me thou.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKW Lover View Post
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydneysmom View Post
I really appreciate everyone's opinions!! I think that since our DD is pretty shy, she's most likely not going to participate in the coconut races at Ohana (unless one of us do it with her). So I think we'll stay w/ Kona... I do like the idea that there is more selection at Kona and we can still walk around the grounds and then hop the boat back to MK. Hopefully, we won't go wrong, but it sounds like there's major fans with either one we would pick!! Thank you everyone!!

This is why I love the Dis so much and all the Dis-ers... you can totally feel confused about something and second guess yourself, but everyone here is going to make you feel better about feeling confused and give you terrific advice!
If youre DD is shy, like my son was, then its possible that she wouldnt benefit from the entertainment at all. As you said, my son would only participate if one of us would join him. Lol. Have a great time!

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW

I've been BOO'ED by Forum Jumper!!!
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: