Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: As a Family Vacation, when would YOU want to go to WDW?
Autumn (MNSSHP/Food & Wine) 55 64.71%
Winter (MVMCP/Osborne Lights/Processional) 30 35.29%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-06-2012, 08:21 AM   #16
joefeyas
Earning My Ears

We go every Nov - if you time it just right you can get the Food & Wine for a day or 2 and the Osbourne lights. You will probably miss holloween though.

I've been to both parties and did not have a prefrence for either. I thought they were about equal.

Weather wise in early Nov - we had mostly days in the 80-85 range. We did get to go swimming on most days. Only 1 day of rain and one day with the temps in the low 50's. At night it gets colder mostly into the low 60's, upper 50's.

Crowds are not a problem, except Sat/Sun. During the week most stand-by rides are only 5-10 minute wait.

Good Luck & Have Fun!
joefeyas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:46 AM   #17
Amunet
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooked On The Mouse View Post
Winter-just because the weather is better. MNSSHP is awesome, but it's too hot.
Even Halloween/early november? We went this year on the 28th of Oct and it was just fine, maybe a bit of a nip in the air closer towards midnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefeyas View Post
We go every Nov - if you time it just right you can get the Food & Wine for a day or 2 and the Osbourne lights. You will probably miss holloween though.

I've been to both parties and did not have a prefrence for either. I thought they were about equal.

Weather wise in early Nov - we had mostly days in the 80-85 range. We did get to go swimming on most days. Only 1 day of rain and one day with the temps in the low 50's. At night it gets colder mostly into the low 60's, upper 50's.

Crowds are not a problem, except Sat/Sun. During the week most stand-by rides are only 5-10 minute wait.

Good Luck & Have Fun!
Thank you very much for your feedback!

Yeah, we aren't going to overlap for that exact reason. No matter which season we go to, I know my family will want to participate in the party at Magic Kingdom.

Thank you also for the weather info! It seems pretty consistent with what we experienced this year when we went Oct.24-30th.
Yeah, kinda can't help Sat/Sun but hopefully I can convince them to do rope drop

Past Disney Trips
Disneyland 1995 • 2005 • 2013
Disney World 2008 CBR (Honeymoon) • 2011 POFQ • 2012 AoA/POR • 2013 AKV/CBR
Disney Cruise 2012 ~ Graduation
Amunet is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-07-2012, 03:20 PM   #18
Amunet
DIS Veteran

Haha the poll changes every time I check!

I wonder what it's going to look like by the 23rd?

Past Disney Trips
Old 12-08-2012, 12:24 AM   #19
Amunet
DIS Veteran

Haha oh my goodness! I can't believe how much Autumn is overtaking Winter in the poll!

I wonder if the Food & Wine is the reason?

Past Disney Trips
Old 12-09-2012, 01:53 AM   #20
Amunet
DIS Veteran

You know, I am very curious as to why Autumn is pulling so far ahead

Past Disney Trips
Old 12-09-2012, 02:48 AM   #21
kaligal
DIS Veteran

Autumn for sure. MNSSHP is pretty good. The parade is awesome and was deaigned to be seen at night. MVMCP pretty much sucks...and if you don't happen to be sitting in a well-lit place along the parade route, the parade is hard to see. The fireworks at MVMCP are kind of lame. The shows suck. It just isn't a good party at all any longer.

Autumn will be warm to hot. Winter can get downright cold. Winter can be warm...but when it is cold, theme parks are downright miserable places to be.

Most of what made Disney so great to visit around Christmastime is gone. No Epcot arches. No good Christmas show in the MK. No Christmas Country Bears. The hotel decorations aren't as good as they used to be. Disney dialed it WAY down on Christmas.

Candlelight Processional is good and so are the lights at the Studios, but...just not worth the trip to see them. Not when compared with autumn, anyway.
Fantasmic sucks.

Last edited by kaligal; 12-09-2012 at 02:56 AM.
kaligal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:55 AM   #22
larryz
Looking for the perfect vacation

Do your next trip in Winter, then while there, schedule a bounce back for the following Autumn.

larryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:40 AM   #23
Amunet
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaligal View Post
Autumn for sure. MNSSHP is pretty good. The parade is awesome and was deaigned to be seen at night. MVMCP pretty much sucks...and if you don't happen to be sitting in a well-lit place along the parade route, the parade is hard to see. The fireworks at MVMCP are kind of lame. The shows suck. It just isn't a good party at all any longer.

Autumn will be warm to hot. Winter can get downright cold. Winter can be warm...but when it is cold, theme parks are downright miserable places to be.

Most of what made Disney so great to visit around Christmastime is gone. No Epcot arches. No good Christmas show in the MK. No Christmas Country Bears. The hotel decorations aren't as good as they used to be. Disney dialed it WAY down on Christmas.

Candlelight Processional is good and so are the lights at the Studios, but...just not worth the trip to see them. Not when compared with autumn, anyway.
Something tells me you're not a fan of the wintertime in Disney ...

Past Disney Trips
Old 12-10-2012, 09:40 AM   #24
Amunet
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryz View Post
Do your next trip in Winter, then while there, schedule a bounce back for the following Autumn.
Sounds awesome! I just wish I could get bounceback! I was on the lookout this past trip in Autumn and nothing
Don't they leave the info in your room?

Past Disney Trips
Old 12-10-2012, 09:50 AM   #25
mm1971
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amunet View Post
My family has decided to go to Disney World next year as a family vacation This pleases me.

BUT my mother really can't decide between Autumn (MNSSHP/Food & Wine) or Winter (MVMCP/Osborne Lights/Processional). DH and I have been during Autumn, late October. So we know those experiences but we've never been during the winterish time.

Family: Mom/Dad + Me (26)/ DH (27) + Sister (16/17) [ages are how old we will be by Autumn/Winter of next year]

Expertise: Mom, Dad & Sis have NEVER been to WDW. DH & I = 3 times

When: If we went in the Autumn, my mother said she'd like to be there during Halloween, so most likely Oct. 30th - Nov. 6th. If we went in Winter, it would be early December, probably 4th - 11th (nothing later than the 15th as return date).

Where: We plan on renting DVC points for a 2 bedroom Villa at the Beach Club.

Important facts:
- Swimming is a big factor for my family.
- We also enjoy food and fun! We are not the type to go to a club and drink/dance the night away ... though, my mother loves to dance.
- Major rides WILL be hit.
- We will have the normal Disney Dining Plan

In your opinion ...

1} How do the two parties compare? I understand they are at extra cost
2} Would we be able to swim during both seasons?
3} Weather Wise; which season do you prefer?
4} Activity/Event Wise; which season do you prefer?
5} Pros/Cons for each season?
6} Pros/Cons for each Holiday time? (such as events/activities)
7} Would you recommend Park Hopper tickets? Why or why not?
8} Which season would YOU go?

Thank you ahead of time for you opinions. These will really help ^_^

With swimming a priority, autumn is best. you never know what the weather will be in winter. Last time we went first week of December, it was too cold to swim most days.

My opinion is that the Halloween party is by far the best that Disney does. Autumn weather is still pretty warm, but not as humid or hot. Food and wine is awesome, especially if you enjoy the adventure of trying new things.

Christmas is fun as well, but the weather is a little less predictable. The decorations, like the full size gingerbread house are awesome. If you want to get into the holiday mood, this is where to do it.

We prefer Halloween and October, but wouldn't hesitate to go in December.

mm1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:52 AM   #26
DisneyLvr55
The thing swooped down, hit me in the face with its wing, scooped up my dog, and flew away

1} How do the two parties compare? I understand they are at extra cost. We have been to Disney 2x at Christmas time, and never bothered to to get the party tickets. As far as I could tell, the only "extras" you got, was maybe some fake snow, some hot chocolate, and extra meet and greets which have lines as far as the eye can see! We got the MNSSHP ticket last year, and really loved it. The dance parties, free face painting (not sure if they still do it) and an awesome parade - It was well worth it.
2} Would we be able to swim during both seasons? We froze our buns off one of the times we went in December. The other time it was only semi-freezing... Not my ideal time to go. October was nice though - Perfect weather IMO.
3} Weather Wise; which season do you prefer? October/November. Thats when we will be there next year!
4} Activity/Event Wise; which season do you prefer? You can't go wrong with the food and wine. True, its advised to avoid Epcot on the weekends because of all the locals coming in and getting... happy.... however DH and I went on a Saturday night last year, and thought it was crouded, we had no problems.
5} Pros/Cons for each season? December - Can be very cold. October - Could have a hurricane.... But not highly likely.
6} Pros/Cons for each Holiday time? (such as events/activities) Personal question - Depends on if you like Christmas better or Halloween. We're a Halloween kinda family!
7} Would you recommend Park Hopper tickets? Why or why not? Always get hoppers. If you go to MK during the day, but want to do F&W at night, you MUST have hoppers!
8} Which season would YOU go? October/November
Old 12-10-2012, 11:21 PM   #27
Amunet
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm1971 View Post
With swimming a priority, autumn is best. you never know what the weather will be in winter. Last time we went first week of December, it was too cold to swim most days.

My opinion is that the Halloween party is by far the best that Disney does. Autumn weather is still pretty warm, but not as humid or hot. Food and wine is awesome, especially if you enjoy the adventure of trying new things.

Christmas is fun as well, but the weather is a little less predictable. The decorations, like the full size gingerbread house are awesome. If you want to get into the holiday mood, this is where to do it.

We prefer Halloween and October, but wouldn't hesitate to go in December.
Thank you very much for your feedback. It looks a lot like my mother will have to make a decision on which is more important: Swimming or Holiday Decor.
I've always known the weather is rather unpredictable, but December is more so? With larger extremes? Well ... that is DEFINATELY something to put in the slideshow

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyLvr55 View Post
1} As far as I could tell, the only "extras" you got, was maybe some fake snow, some hot chocolate, and extra meet and greets which have lines as far as the eye can see![/COLOR]
2} We froze our buns off one of the times we went in December. The other time it was only semi-freezing... Not my ideal time to go. October was nice though - Perfect weather IMO.
3} October/November. Thats when we will be there next year!
6} Pros/Cons for each Holiday time? (such as events/activities) Personal question - Depends on if you like Christmas better or Halloween. We're a Halloween kinda family!
1} That is a very good point. I was wondering about that as well when I saw what it offered. To me, MNSSHP looks like it's worth more (we went, it was awesome!)

2} Thank you VERY much for letting me know about the weather, it helps a lot

3} I agree! I love this time. Though, I've never been in december to compare it ... hence the thread lol

6} This is the reason why it's so hard. My family is big into BOTH holidays and I LOVE the food and wine festival in the autumn. That's why I need all the information I can get to present to my family.

To tell you the trip, if it was ONLY up to me, I would pick Autumn ^_^

Past Disney Trips
Old 12-11-2012, 12:09 AM   #28
stevb
Mouseketeer

Love going in the winter because of the Christmas decorations. Have taken trips in late Nov/early Dec the past 2 years and it has been warm enough to swim during the day both times.
stevb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:31 PM   #29
Amunet
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevb View Post
Love going in the winter because of the Christmas decorations. Have taken trips in late Nov/early Dec the past 2 years and it has been warm enough to swim during the day both times.
Really? Nice! I suppose it depends when during the winter, right? Well, we might go early Dec. so maybe that might work with us?

And THIS is why I made this thread! I am loving all of the opinions ^_^

Keep them coming!

Past Disney Trips
Old 12-12-2012, 09:59 AM   #30
TunaSled
No Windows and No Doors

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevb View Post
This exactly. Don't worry about swimming, the pools are heated. The Christmas decorations alone are worth every bit, nobody decks the halls like Disney. I simply love it. From the giant trees at each park and resort, to the Osborne lights, to the projections all over the MK attractions and rooftops... it's winter hands down for us.

Snow on Main Street! Snow in the Streets of America! Seeing is believing.

WDW Commando Club member #220

TunaSled is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: