Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: As a Family Vacation, when would YOU want to go to WDW?
Autumn (MNSSHP/Food & Wine) 55 64.71%
Winter (MVMCP/Osborne Lights/Processional) 30 35.29%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-04-2012, 10:35 PM   #1
Amunet
DIS Veteran

Arrow Disney in Autumn or Winter? Need your opinions please!

My family has decided to go to Disney World next year as a family vacation This pleases me.

BUT my mother really can't decide between Autumn (MNSSHP/Food & Wine) or Winter (MVMCP/Osborne Lights/Processional). DH and I have been during Autumn, late October. So we know those experiences but we've never been during the winterish time.

Family: Mom/Dad + Me (26)/ DH (27) + Sister (16/17) [ages are how old we will be by Autumn/Winter of next year]

Expertise: Mom, Dad & Sis have NEVER been to WDW. DH & I = 3 times

When: If we went in the Autumn, my mother said she'd like to be there during Halloween, so most likely Oct. 30th - Nov. 6th. If we went in Winter, it would be early December, probably 4th - 11th (nothing later than the 15th as return date).

Where: We plan on renting DVC points for a 2 bedroom Villa at the Beach Club.

Important facts:
- Swimming is a big factor for my family.
- We also enjoy food and fun! We are not the type to go to a club and drink/dance the night away ... though, my mother loves to dance.
- Major rides WILL be hit.
- We will have the normal Disney Dining Plan

In your opinion ...

1} How do the two parties compare? I understand they are at extra cost
2} Would we be able to swim during both seasons?
3} Weather Wise; which season do you prefer?
4} Activity/Event Wise; which season do you prefer?
5} Pros/Cons for each season?
6} Pros/Cons for each Holiday time? (such as events/activities)
7} Would you recommend Park Hopper tickets? Why or why not?
8} Which season would YOU go?

Thank you ahead of time for you opinions. These will really help ^_^

Past Disney Trips
Disneyland 1995 • 2005 • 2013
Disney World 2008 CBR (Honeymoon) • 2011 POFQ • 2012 AoA/POR • 2013 AKV/CBR
Disney Cruise 2012 ~ Graduation
Amunet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:52 PM   #2
BubMunkeyBles
DIS Veteran

1} How do the two parties compare? I understand they are at extra cost I prefer the Halloween Party, but I would attend both. We're doing MVMCP next week.
2} Would we be able to swim during both seasons? Hit or miss, this would definitely be better in the fall
3} Weather Wise; which season do you prefer? Both. Winter sometimes has less rain, but I enjoy either season equally.
4} Activity/Event Wise; which season do you prefer? I'm a Christmas snob so probably December, but I also like Food and Wine.
7} Would you recommend Park Hopper tickets? Why or why not? I prefer parkhoppers for flexibility
8} Which season would YOU go? Agh... I would go December probably, but I love Christmas time. Fall is super nice too though and is my second favorite time to go for sure.

[/QUOTE]

The swimming and food comments would make me recommend fall for you though.

December 3-9, 2014- SSR and BWV
BubMunkeyBles is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-04-2012, 11:03 PM   #3
Amunet
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubMunkeyBles View Post

The swimming and food comments would make me recommend fall for you though.
Thank you Yeah, I think they'd really like the fall, but Christmastime is a huge holiday in our family ^_^ Which is why we have the dilemma

Thank you so much for your opinions!

Past Disney Trips
Old 12-05-2012, 06:15 AM   #4
Abby Wednesday
Mouseketeer

I picked the fall. It's a little cheaper and less crowded, though it will probably be crowded on Halloween. It may actually be hard for you to get a villa at the BC for F&W. It will be a little warmer if you were planning to swim. I can't speak to the parties as I haven't been. Weather-wise there is more rain in the fall, but you'll be past the worst part of hurricane season in late Oct.
Abby Wednesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:59 AM   #5
Wood Nymph
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amunet View Post

1} How do the two parties compare? I understand they are at extra cost
2} Would we be able to swim during both seasons?
3} Weather Wise; which season do you prefer?
4} Activity/Event Wise; which season do you prefer?
5} Pros/Cons for each season?
6} Pros/Cons for each Holiday time? (such as events/activities)
7} Would you recommend Park Hopper tickets? Why or why not?
8} Which season would YOU go?

2. Usually the earlier the better for guaranteed swimming, although this year Halloween was freakishly cold and it is very warm there right now.
3. Fall has nicer weather.
4. The Christmas decorations are fantastic. They are usually up by the middle of November.
6. I would go with the cheapest and least crowded choice, whichever that would be. If you want to do plenty of rides, the shortest wait times translate into more ride time.
7. Park Hopper definitely, especially since you are at the BCV. You'll be able to walk into Epcot every night, and you won't have the hassle of taking the buses as often.
8. I'm struggling with the same decision. I love the fall weather but would LOVE to see the Christmas decorations and activities. I would probably go in early December because I don't care that much about swimming.

Next up: YC - Sept 24th to 28th and WL - Oct 22 - 27, 2014
BC - March 19th to 25th, 2014, WL - Jan 23 - 27, 2014; WL - Nov 30 - Dec 5, 2013; WL - Feb 5 -11, 2013; BC - April 2011, BW - January 2009, BCV - 2007, 2005, 2003, Poly - 2002;
BC - 2001, 1998, 1994, 1992; YC - 1997; GF - 1989, 1988; Poly - 1987, 1986, 1985; CR - 1981, 1980; offsite - 1982, 1976, 1973
Wood Nymph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:33 AM   #6
Disney Doll
DIS Security Matron

Can you check when the F&W Fest ends and the Christmas festivities begin? Maybe your trip can overlap both.
It's time to put on your big girl panties and deal with it!
Don't be so open-minded that your brains fall out.
There's no pill that cures stupid.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
~~In loving memory of Teddy~~1994-2007~~
Disney  Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:38 AM   #7
Sandy Fisher
DIS Veteran

Having lived a short driving distance from Disney for 5 years plus, we went any time we wanted. That said, I'd choose winter over fall. Fall is fantastic in FL, particularly central FL. However, we saw lower crowds when we went in the winter time -- other than the exact holidays -- and had an easier time getting a room we liked/wanted/could afford when we wanted to stay overnight to enjoy late night activities.
The swimming issue didn't come up for us. We've been there when people were swimming in the pools in December -- the pools that are heated and there was steam coming off of them. :-) Fall would give you more opportunities to swim.
It does seem to rain more in the fall. We were there more than a few times when it rained and rained and rained.
I'm sure you'll enjoy no matter when you go. Both times have good reasons for going.
Sandy Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:47 AM   #8
blessedby3
Actually Blessedby4 now, but cant change my username :)

Both times are great times of the year to go. We were there this past Oct from the 20-27th. We did our first MNSSHP and loved it. We have done the MVMCP twice in the past and that was fun as well.
We swam with no problems on our Oct trip...it was hot! We have also swam in Nov (the week after Thanksgiving) although it was not quite as warm. If swimming is a big factor I would go in October.
8/87-Disneymoon, offsite 7/92-DD's 1st trip 2/94-Land/Sea, Dixie Landings 10/99-offsite 4/03-CR tower MK view 11/05-POP 12/06-WL 1/08-POP, DD's Grad Trip 3/09-Poly 5/10-BLT, 1BR 6/11-POP 10/12 Bonnet Creek 6/14-Bonnet Creek/2 nights at AOA
DH(48) Me(47) DD(24)DSIL (24) DS(19) DD(15) DD(6)
Check out my May2010 trip report:
Welcome Gurley Family....you are FAMILY OF THE DAY!!
blessedby3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:13 AM   #9
Amunet
DIS Veteran

Wow, thank you all for the replies!

Keep them coming

For me, swimming isn't a huge factor, but for my mother it is lol We went this past october (24 - 30th) and didn't swim at all! We loved the weather ^_^ Though, as we haven't been in the winter time, we wouldn't know what to compare it to

Thankfully, when we went this year, we had almost NO RAIN o.O Perhaps it was a fluke?

Past Disney Trips
Old 12-05-2012, 08:15 AM   #10
Luv2CtheMouse
DIS Veteran

Winter = less crowds
Luv2CtheMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:33 AM   #11
dsanner106
DIS Veteran

two of our favorite time of year to go. My wife and I alone prefer the food and wine fest and the fall season. With the kids we would choose winter. The holiday decorations are fantastic, make sure you resort hop a little and see the trees etc at boardwalk, Animal kingdom, Wilderness lodge and contemporary if you can. We ended up using an entire day for that, actually. The park hopper is the way to go, takes all the pressure off for the entire trip, you are not keeping track of where dinner will be so if you want to spend the day at animal kingdom but have dinner at epcot you can do that. Swimming is almost the same for both times, we have made it in the pool both times with no problem.

Have a great time!!
Drew

72 offsite
'74 offsite, '01 Old Key West,'02 Wyndham
'03 timeshare,'04 Pop Century '04 Coronado Springs
'05 Offsite
'06 All Star Sports 06 CoronadoSprings '07 Bonnett Creek 07 All Star Music '08 Pop Century '08 Boardwalk Villas '09 Beachclub Villas '09 Animal Kdom kidani village'10 Saratoga Sp, '11 Bay Lake Towers,' 12' Boardwalk, '12 AK Kidani
dsanner106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:16 PM   #12
Amunet
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2CtheMouse View Post
Winter = less crowds
Simple, yet, to the point. I like it! :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsanner106 View Post
two of our favorite time of year to go. My wife and I alone prefer the food and wine fest and the fall season. With the kids we would choose winter. The holiday decorations are fantastic, make sure you resort hop a little and see the trees etc at boardwalk, Animal kingdom, Wilderness lodge and contemporary if you can. We ended up using an entire day for that, actually. The park hopper is the way to go, takes all the pressure off for the entire trip, you are not keeping track of where dinner will be so if you want to spend the day at animal kingdom but have dinner at epcot you can do that. Swimming is almost the same for both times, we have made it in the pool both times with no problem.

Have a great time!!
Drew
Thank you very much! You have a very good point about the park hopper. We've done with and without park hopper ... but only with DH/I and once with a friend ... never with 5. With so many people with different tastes, you make a very compelling argument ^_^

Past Disney Trips
Old 12-05-2012, 02:21 PM   #13
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

I'm a big fan of Autumn at Disney. But a quick point about renting DVC points. You are already way behind the eight ball in terms of renting points for a two-bedroom villa at BCV for Food and Wine, if that is the time you want to go, you need to book ASAP!

If you decide to go in early December, find someone to rent from NOW so when the 11-month window opens, they can make your reservation. Early December has become the busiest time for DVC resorts and many folks who don't book at the start of the 11-month window are left staying at a different resort than the one they wanted.
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV, 4/2015 -- BLT

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:08 PM   #14
Amunet
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyrose View Post
I'm a big fan of Autumn at Disney. But a quick point about renting DVC points. You are already way behind the eight ball in terms of renting points for a two-bedroom villa at BCV for Food and Wine, if that is the time you want to go, you need to book ASAP!

If you decide to go in early December, find someone to rent from NOW so when the 11-month window opens, they can make your reservation. Early December has become the busiest time for DVC resorts and many folks who don't book at the start of the 11-month window are left staying at a different resort than the one they wanted.
Thank you for your advice ^_^

Yeah, I know I'm a bit behind for Autumn but it cannot be helped.

If we do end up going that route, I will definitely get on the ball as soon as we decide the season.

Past Disney Trips
Old 12-06-2012, 07:34 AM   #15
Hooked On The Mouse
DIS Veteran

Location: Thigh-high in snow half the year, up to the eyeballs in mosquitos the other half

Winter-just because the weather is better. MNSSHP is awesome, but it's too hot.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: