Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2012, 10:28 AM   #1
Pooh2
DIS Veteran

mashed potatoes

How far ahead would you make mashed potatoes?

I am hosting Christmas dinner and trying to make a few things ahead to make Christmas morning more relaxing.

I was thinking of making them today, putting them in a casserole dish and reheating with the other dishes. Anyone else make them ahead with good results?
Pooh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:31 AM   #2
SalemsFairyGodmother
Earning My Ears

I have made them the day before serving them without problems. I put them in casserole dish and reheated in the microwave, stirring them after heating a few minutes so the top didn't dry out and repeating until warm all the way through.
SalemsFairyGodmother is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-23-2012, 10:33 AM   #3
MAJPLO
DIS Veteran

My MIL has made them ahead with terrible results. The most I've ever done ahead is to wash, peel, and cut the potatoes. Then store them in water in the fridge so they won't get brown. I suppose I would be brave enough to boil them ahead but not actually add anything or mash them until right before. I think where MIL went wrong was keeping them heated constantly in a crock pot. If you make them ahead and then reheat that may work better.

Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera March 2011
Oasis of the Seas Eastern Caribbean May 2013
Sapphire Princess California Coastal January 2014
MAJPLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:49 AM   #4
HJAMom
Earning My Ears

We buy these amazing frozen mashed potatoes. They are peeled and frozen in a bag, you throw them in the microwave, heat, and mash. I bet you could peel and parboil and throw in a freezer bag to make them kind of do it yourself
HJAMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:38 AM   #5
ZoeBell
Mouseketeer

I always make them right at the time of dinner. I know it's a pain but doing it earlier, especially just peeling and leaving sitting in water tends to make them pasty.

A friend of mine makes them the day before, and heats them up in the crockpot the next day.
ZoeBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:59 AM   #6
bdcp
DIS Veteran

I've made them ahead and reheated them in the microwave. I add a little bit of milk and butter and stir it in before reheating them. They turn out great. There is lots of info on make ahead mashed potatoes online. I make as much ahead of time as possible. Takes a lot of the stress out of the meal.
Shades of Green Nov 08

Shades of Green Oct 11
Shades of Green Nov 13
bdcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 12:29 PM   #7
dsny1mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJAMom View Post
We buy these amazing frozen mashed potatoes. They are peeled and frozen in a bag, you throw them in the microwave, heat, and mash. I bet you could peel and parboil and throw in a freezer bag to make them kind of do it yourself
The Ore Ida peeled and cut frozen potatos are the best thing since sliced bread!!!! They make making mashed potatos so much easier and quicker and in our opinion taste exactly like mashed potatos made from raw potatos!

dsny1mom
dsny1mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 12:47 PM   #8
HeatherC
Alas...these people I live with take up too much room

I make them ahead and then reheat in the crockpot adding extra milk and butter as they heat to keep them creamy. Works great because you don't have to worry about keeping them hot at the same time as the other food.
HeatherC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 01:27 PM   #9
Zandy595
DIS Veteran
The other day I found a big honkin' frog in my toilet

If you don't care about the fat content, which IMO nobody should on Christmas... http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/r...ipe/index.html

When Ree Drummond made it on her show, I believe it was prepared a day or 2 ahead and then reheated in the oven. I think it helps to have all that fat in it to keep the mashed potatoes from getting that weird texture they get when they're refrigerated.

Animal Kingdom Lodge Pop Century All Star Music All Star Movies Caribbean Beach DCL Wonder 2001 DCL Magic Eastern 2004 DCL Magic Western 2008 DCL Dream 2011, 2012, 2014
Zandy595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 01:35 PM   #10
Pooh2
DIS Veteran

Thanks for all the tips!
Sounds like a mixed bag for making ahead. I think I might try a combo of the above tips and boil and mash today, then try the crocpot and add the butter, pepper and milk a few hours before dinner.
Just have way to many other dishes to deal with to wait until just before dinner.
Pooh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:32 PM   #11
MSSANDRA
DIS Veteran

My mom made mashed potato almost every sunday when I was growing up.
She always prepared the peeled cut potato the day before and then boiled them until done and then when we returned from church she would bring them back to a boil for a few minutes and then mash as usual. If you cut your pieces small it really does not take too long to cook them. They are so much better fresh. I throw mine into my kitchen aid mixer with all the yummy extras and they are done in no time.
MSSANDRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:59 PM   #12
dancin Disney style
I found one to share with some fab american disers
Could you break off the handle?

If you Google 'make ahead mashed potatoes' you will find recipes that include cream cheese and/or sour cream. These ingredients are what keep the potatoes from getting all hard and sticky when they are refridgerated. Most of these recipes require you to bake them in the oven(after you have mashed them)....that's why you can make them the day before and then bake right before you are serving them.

dancin Disney style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 03:10 PM   #13
TiggerTails57
FIL is still waiting for his My Little Pony cake

Pioneer woman's make ahead mash potatoes is the one I use.
TiggerTails57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:04 PM   #14
msmama
DIS Veteran

Cream cheese keeps them creamy!!
Old 12-23-2012, 10:26 PM   #15
clh2
I am the Pixie Stick NARC at my house

We've been using this recipe for years. They are really great potatoes!

HOLIDAY MASHED POTATOES

5 pounds Yukon gold or russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
1/2 cup milk
1 package (8 oz) cream cheese, at room temperature
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter or margarine
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1/4 ground black pepper (We add a very tiny bit of pepper, I do not care for pepper too much)
4 strips cooked bacon, chopped (optional)

Place potatoes in large saucepan; add enough water to cover. Bring to boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 20 minutes, or until potatoes are tender. Drain. Return to saucepan.

Add milk, cream cheese, and butter to potatoes. Mash with hand masher or electric mixer on medium speed until creamy. Stir in garlic salt and pepper. Spoon into a 12 x 9 inch casserole dish. Cover and refrigerate up to 24 hours.

Remove potatoes from refrigerator 3 1/4 hours before serving time. Coat slow cooker insert with vegetable oil spray. Place potatoes in slow cooker. Cover and heat on low setting 3 hours, stirring tiwce. Add chopped bacon before serving, if desired. Potatoes can be held ad additional 30 minutes if needed. Makes sixteen 1/2 cup servings.

NOTE: Mashed potatoes also may be reheated in oven. Bake uncovered in casserole dish for 45 minutes until hot. (SORRY - recipe did not specify the temp here.)

"WONDER" ful trip 10/2003
followed by a couple of days at the Swan

I want a real countdown timer again!
clh2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: