Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2012, 07:53 PM   #1
jennameowse
Mouseketeer

If you could only do one character meal,

If you could only do one character meal, which would you choose? I have personally done Minnie's and Goofy's, my family has only done Minnie's (we've done Ariel's but when it was the WoC dinner package). Out of all, excluding Minnie's, do you think if the best bang for your buck? Best food, experience, etc. We really enjoyed Minnie's but would like to try another. I don't mind going to Goofy's again, I went for dinner and it wasn't my favorite but it wasn't terrible either
Any and all opinions are welcome.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:15 PM   #2
Kitts21
DIS Veteran

We love Chef Mickey's or Crystal Palace. Both are great. If I could only pick one it would probably be Chef Mickey's
08/30-09/09 BCV & BWV(w bw view)
10/11-10/21 AKLV,BCV,ASM
Kitts21 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-04-2012, 10:06 PM   #3
ImTooExcitedToSleep
Disneyland Correspondent for The DIS UnpluggedI'll try to pop in later
Doh! Yeah, that one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitts21 View Post
We love Chef Mickey's or Crystal Palace. Both are great. If I could only pick one it would probably be Chef Mickey's
Um.....

I think it really depends on if you're going for the food or for the character interactions. Goofy's has good food and lots of variety, but has been getting poor reviews lately for the character interaction.
ImTooExcitedToSleep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:07 PM   #4
ValpoCory
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitts21 View Post
Come on, now, this is a Disneyland board.
ValpoCory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:08 PM   #5
ValpoCory
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennameowse View Post
If you could only do one character meal, which would you choose? I have personally done Minnie's and Goofy's, my family has only done Minnie's (we've done Ariel's but when it was the WoC dinner package). Out of all, excluding Minnie's, do you think if the best bang for your buck? Best food, experience, etc. We really enjoyed Minnie's but would like to try another. I don't mind going to Goofy's again, I went for dinner and it wasn't my favorite but it wasn't terrible either
From what I've read on here, Mickey's Surf's Up Breakfast has the best reviews, followed by Minnie's, then Goofy's, then Chip 'n Dale's, then Ariel's.

I went to Minnie's in 2010 and loved it. A similar feel to Crystal Palace in Florida, but with more characters. One downside compared with Crystal Palace is that if you are staying onsite, you must forgo ride time to eat breakfast at Minnie's.

This year, I have an arrival night reservation at Goofy's Kitchen since that is a non-park day. I have a Mickey's Breakfast ressie at 7:45am on a 9am EMH in Disneyland day. I have a Minnie's breakfast ressie on another day, and am thinking about a Chip 'n Dale reservation for our departure morning.

One thing to consider .. Mickey's Breakfast gives you a 10% discount if you have a Disney Visa. Also, you get a free photo package at Mickey's, Goofy's, Minnie's, and Ariel's if you have a PhotoPass+ card.

Last edited by ValpoCory; 12-04-2012 at 11:19 PM.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:31 PM   #6
Disney_Alli
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennameowse
I have now done every character meal on property and had a good time at all of them. I think I had the best character interaction at Minnie's, Mickey's and Chip & Dale's with the best food at Chip and Dale's.

I really think any of them could be a good choice though there can be challenges in seeing all the character's at Goofy's.

Lots of Pixie Dust
Disney_Alli

Disney_Alli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:51 PM   #7
jennameowse
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney_Alli

I have now done every character meal on property and had a good time at all of them. I think I had the best character interaction at Minnie's, Mickey's and Chip & Dale's with the best food at Chip and Dale's.

I really think any of them could be a good choice though there can be challenges in seeing all the character's at Goofy's.
What kind of food options do you remember from Chip and Dale's? What I've seen online just gives generic answers like "fruit, pastries, omelets" and I'm here thinking, there's no way that's it! Haha.

When I ate dinner at Goofy's we only got interaction with maybe 4/5 characters. But it was okay because we met Aladdin and that was all I really wanted when I found out he was there. There were a few food options I loved but many I felt were just "meh". I do think characters are the strong point for that one and not so much the food
Old 12-04-2012, 11:54 PM   #8
jennameowse
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValpoCory

One thing to consider .. Mickey's Breakfast gives you a 10% discount if you have a Disney Visa. Also, you get a free photo package at Mickey's, Goofy's, Minnie's, and Ariel's if you have a PhotoPass+ card.
None of us have a Disney Visa but we do have AP's. and I believe with the premium (I'm the only one in the family with that one) gets 15% off dining right now.

I had discussed PhotoPass+ with my family but we're not sure that its something we want to pay for this time. There are so many other things we'd rather spend money on (pins for example.) But since its Christmas time it is something I think would be a great deal. I may talk them into it seeing as we usually spend atleast $30 a trip on photos and I believe it's double that if you purchase in advance.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:18 AM   #9
ValpoCory
DIS Veteran

Quote:
None of us have a Disney Visa but we do have AP's. and I believe with the premium (I'm the only one in the family with that one) gets 15% off dining right now.

I had discussed PhotoPass+ with my family but we're not sure that its something we want to pay for this time. There are so many other things we'd rather spend money on (pins for example.) But since its Christmas time it is something I think would be a great deal. I may talk them into it seeing as we usually spend atleast $30 a trip on photos and I believe it's double that if you purchase in advance.
Right. It's $69.95. If you are going to buy a dining photo and you are going into the parks on multiple days, I highly recommend getting the PP+.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:27 AM   #10
jennameowse
Mouseketeer

Quote:

Right. It's $69.95. If you are going to buy a dining photo and you are going into the parks on multiple days, I highly recommend getting the PP+.
We're going to be there for three days. Are all ride photos able to be added? And only 3 of the character dining experiences can be included, yes?
Old 12-05-2012, 12:30 AM   #11
ValpoCory
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We're going to be there for three days. Are all ride photos able to be added? And only 3 of the character dining experiences can be included, yes?
Yes on ride photos. And 4 of the 5 character dining restaurants have photo packages. Only Chip 'n Dale's does not.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:43 AM   #12
jennameowse
Mouseketeer

Quote:

Yes on ride photos. And 4 of the 5 character dining restaurants have photo packages. Only Chip 'n Dale's does not.
I wish they all did photos! I really what to try CnD's but if we get PP+ we'll end up at a different restaurant.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:38 AM   #13
PoohsFan1
DIS Veteran

I am in the midst of planning out our first trip to DLR in June. I am set on doing 3 character meals (Minnie and Friends, Surf's Up, and Chip and Dale) due to reading the menus and also reading the rave reviews on these boards....thank you so much BTW . The only ones I am on the fence about is Goofy's Kitchen and Ariel's Grotto. I have heard not so nice reviews about both of them, especially about the character interactions at both restaurants. Since this may be the only time we are ever heading to DLR, I am trying to get the most out of our trip. The problem I am having is that there are so many great looking restaurants (both TS and QS) and we have 9 days to take advantage of them all....oh what to do .

I know I didn't answer any of the OPs questions, however it was so nice to rant about my "supposed" frustrations . OP I hope you get the answer you are looking for.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:01 AM   #14
longtimedisneylurker
DIS Veteran

Quote:
What kind of food options do you remember from Chip and Dale's? What I've seen online just gives generic answers like "fruit, pastries, omelets" and I'm here thinking, there's no way that's it! Haha.
The buffet is small, but the food was tasty. I mostly remember eggs, potatoes, bacon, sausage, typical breakfast selections. There were definitely fruit and pastries. You can get a made-to-order omelette in the buffet line, and if you want pancakes or waffles you just have to ask your server to bring out a plate of them to your table. The pancakes and waffles are much nicer made fresh to order like that rather than sitting in a buffet chafing dish.
longtimedisneylurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:13 AM   #15
hlbtimes2
Stretch that spine out big and tall!
Oh, you arent paying? Dang!

Quote:
Storytellers offers a breakfast menu, as well as the buffet. Take a look at the dinning info here at the Dis. (look at the top of the page under dinning).They have the menu with prices.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: