Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2012, 09:17 PM   #16
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keurigirl View Post
Think of it this way. Do you typically walk 12+ miles a day with your child on your back? For several days in a row? You will get tired.
I agree.

Or if you need to put on a poncho, you guys will start to stifle. If it gets super-hot (I'll be there around the same time, and we are hoping for unseasonably warm weather FYI, so just in case we get our wish, you'll be hot!) you'll want a break from sweating on each other.

I'm not a big advocate of bringing a stroller to put stuff in, but that's because we have had things stolen from strollers. But still, I think you should have the *option*.

Quote:
My husband insists that it's not worth hauling around the airport and through security, etc, if we won't use it.
It was me agreeing with that sort of thinking, for a shorter trip to Disneyland, that injured my hips pretty seriously. Which is embarrassing, as I am a retired chiropractor, and HATE limping around in any way because of my back or hips. I feel like people just know what I did for a living, and what I believe in completely, and it makes me ashamed to have pain. But carrying my EXHAUSTED little dude all the way back to the hotel, and sometimes in the morning when I wanted to go faster and he wanted to dawdle, absolutely destroyed me for a long, long time.

Of course you are in way better shape than I was then, and probably even than I am now, but still, spines are spines.

I say *at least* bring the MacLaren umbrella. Heck, the only stroller we ever used at home was a jogging stroller specifically for when I was jogging, but we still got a Volo for Disney trips. DS wasn't a huge fan of it until 3, but it was nice to have the *option*. If you leave it at home, that option is gone until you can rent one.

(it is lovely to have them up at eye level for the zoos, isn't it? I used to bend way down to see what kids in strollers could see...not much, that's for sure! and I remember him being right at jaguar eye level while standing at the exhibit at Woodland Park once, which was SCARY for him! no wonder he wanted to be picked up!)

(oh wait, I used the stroller up at Woodland Park once...a squirrel jumped in and stole the food DS was eating while we were looking at the penguins!)

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:54 AM   #17
SweetMissy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah_Rose View Post
Thanks for sharing your experience! I'm kind of the mind that it's at least worth bringing a stroller (I'm thinking our Maclaren umbrella stroller, because it folds up nice and small and light and won't take up much room if it's shoved off in a corner all week!), even if we don't use it. My husband insists that it's not worth hauling around the airport and through security, etc, if we won't use it.

We have a standard Kinderpack and it is FABULOUS! We got it when my son was 18 months old, but my daughter almost fits into it now, at 6 months - the seat is still a bit wide for her, but she's almost there. My son still fits into it at 2.5 (he is 28 lbs and wears 2T clothing)..... he could be in a toddler sized one, obviously, but he still has a good seat in the standard. I highly recommend the Kinderpack - it's so comfortable!

Haha, my husband is DEFINITELY not off the hook for babywearing for this trip! The deal is that I wear DD and he wears the backpack.... unless, he's wearing DS, and then I can put DD on my front and the backpack on my back. I did the baby on my front and toddler on my back ONCE, for 5 minutes, for a photo, and that was enough for me!
LOL! Hopefully he will....be much easier for you. I can't imagine wearing 2 at the same time. My husband has worn our little one a few times, but ds doesn't last as long. I can wear him all day and no big deal. Maybe because he knows who has the milk jugs?
Pop Century...3/2006!
All Star Movies...1/2011!
Pop Century...2/2012
All Star Movies...4/2013
AKL-Kidani Villas...5/2014
All Star Sports...2/2015 (just me and hubby)
SweetMissy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-07-2012, 11:02 AM   #18
angelmom27
DIS Veteran

Good luck on that decision. Lol I think it would be great to do disney stroller free. I like the babywearing plan but like you I would need the stroller to carry all of my stuff. LOs just need too many things. If DH doesn't want to lug around the stroller at the airport maybe rent one from an outside company. I know you can get the board from some companies too.

I just started getting DH to wear our DD. He loved it the first time he tried it out. Now to get him a good carrier that will go into toddlerhood and manly too.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:05 AM   #19
estherhead
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juniortrooper View Post
I would say bring the stroller for your "stuff"! We brought two strollers--one for our 2 year old and one for our 9 week old. I carried her in the Ergo about 90% of the time. It was good to put her down when we did the parent swap rather than try to put the Ergo on my husband. (we did that too, but she just screamed...he wasn't as padded as me and smelled funny, LOL)

Bring it and you won't be sorry, even just to wheel around diapers, jackets, snacks, sippies, etc....
Have a great time!
I have done Disney without a stroller only two days and I HATE it. And I baby wear and have done lots of other trips without a stroller. But Disney isn't the zoo nor is it the mall or hiking. You should ABSOLUTELY take the MacClaren. If you are flying you can gate check it and you will thank me literally in the airport before you ever get to WDW.

Ok, you are wearing the baby. Dh is wearing the backpack. And the 2.5 year old is running about. Who carries the drinks? Where do you put the Duffy Bear he's coloring in Epcot? You want to take home a cupcake for your snack that night. Where can it go?

I have 3 big kids now. This coming August we absolutely do NOT need a stroller. The youngest will be 6. But I'm still bring one. We will park it somewhere in stroller parking for the huge majority of the day. But it will still hold an extra outfit for the 6 year old (she is messy) my dh's refillable mug when he's done with his coffee. Our cooler with the water bottles. Any souvenier the kids wouldn't let me send back to the hotel but insist on carrying. Etc.

I wear a small backpack. What I say to my dh and my kids is "I am not a pack mule." I'm not. If you don't want a stroller, anything heavy is your responsibility.

I'm telling you, imagine walking down the airport to your airplane with a stroller carrying your toiletries bags. Your 2.5 yr old is running free, giggling. Your dh is drinking his coffee happily as you walk. You are wearing your baby and pushing the stroller full of things without worrying the 2 bags will smack the baby in the face.

My dh was the same way. "We don't need a stroller." Guess who held the 2.5 yr dead weight through the fireworks and all the way home? And who forked over the big bucks to get a stroller the next day at WDW?

And if you sincerely don't need it, leave it in the room.
estherhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:11 PM   #20
Sarah_Rose
DIS Veteran

Ok, you guys have convinced me! I was pretty much sold anyway, but now I'm sold enough to put my foot down with the husband.

Ok, so if you have to pick one stroller, which one would you choose? I have a Maclaren Triumph - it has a full recline, and decent sunshade, it's small and light, and my son can climb in and out of it. He seems big in it, but he does fit. I also have a Baby Jogger Summit XC - it also has a full recline and an AWESOME sunshade, is more than big enough for my toddler, has the one-hand fold (same as the City Mini), and it is lovely to push around. And I can get the glider board for it for my son to stand on. But it's a beast (same size as a BOB Jogger) and I think it'll probably be a pain on the buses.

Thoughts?

Fort Wilderness May 2014, Inaugural DOPEY CHALLENGE 2014, AoA February 2013, DLR (Christmas trip!) December 2011, DLR (DL Half Marathon) September 2011, AKL Kidani (WDW Half Marathon) 2011, CSR and the GOOFY 2010, WL and the WDW Half Marathon 2009 (2:29), Disneyland Resort Paris 2007, Off-Site 2006, ASMu 2002, Dixie Landings 2000
Sarah_Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:25 PM   #21
Sarah_Rose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keurigirl View Post
NO WAY. Bring a stroller. I babywore too, but it's imperative you have the option to use both. Sometimes carrying is better, sometimes stroller.

Think of it this way. Do you typically walk 12+ miles a day with your child on your back? For several days in a row? You will get tired.

Bring the stroller, you can leave it somewhere for a few hours and come back when you need it.
Do you typically walk 12+ miles a day at WDW with young children? I've run a couple marathons and many half marathons, so I know exactly how far 12 miles is, and I'm sure I don't walk a quarter of that at WDW with small kids. But we generally do a 3 hour stretch in the morning and a 3 hour stretch in the late afternoon, with a long break in the middle. And we don't zig zag around, we tend to stick to one area at a time. I probably do walk more than that during a trip to the zoo because we're constantly walking, not standing in lines or sitting in shows.

Edited to add: The zoo I'm talking about is the Toronto Zoo, which is one of the largest zoos by size (710 acres - Bronx Zoo is 265 acres, San Diego is 100 acres) in the world. It's a lot of walking.

Fort Wilderness May 2014, Inaugural DOPEY CHALLENGE 2014, AoA February 2013, DLR (Christmas trip!) December 2011, DLR (DL Half Marathon) September 2011, AKL Kidani (WDW Half Marathon) 2011, CSR and the GOOFY 2010, WL and the WDW Half Marathon 2009 (2:29), Disneyland Resort Paris 2007, Off-Site 2006, ASMu 2002, Dixie Landings 2000

Last edited by Sarah_Rose; 12-07-2012 at 02:49 PM.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:36 PM   #22
Sarah_Rose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
I agree.

Or if you need to put on a poncho, you guys will start to stifle. If it gets super-hot (I'll be there around the same time, and we are hoping for unseasonably warm weather FYI, so just in case we get our wish, you'll be hot!) you'll want a break from sweating on each other.

(oh wait, I used the stroller up at Woodland Park once...a squirrel jumped in and stole the food DS was eating while we were looking at the penguins!)
. If you can make the hot weather come for that week, you'll be my hero. Seriously. We have traveled in January for the past few years and its always been hat and glove weather. Except for the 2010 marathon weekend, where it was parka and snow boots weather. I've never worn shorts at WDW. Not once.

Oh, and I love Woodland Park Zoo, but I big pink puffy heart love the Point Defiance Zoo. I could let my son roam free without a stroller or carrier, even at 16 months - for a small zoo, it's exceptional.

Old 12-07-2012, 04:40 PM   #23
ADVentive
Earning My Ears

I'm a babywearer too, and I hardly ever use a stroller, but I think I would use it for Disney. At those ages, I'd probably be wearing the little one on my back and the stroller would be for the 2yo to get in and out and also to carry our stuff. I would just bring an umbrella stroller though.

The main disadvantage to me at that age of having a stroller is that my 2yo would want to push it around, which ends up being more of a hassle than it's worth.

ADVentive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:53 PM   #24
AshleeH
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah_Rose View Post
Do you typically walk 12+ miles a day at WDW with young children? I've run a couple marathons and many half marathons, so I know exactly how far 12 miles is, and I'm sure I don't walk a quarter of that at WDW with small kids. But we generally do a 3 hour stretch in the morning and a 3 hour stretch in the late afternoon, with a long break in the middle. And we don't zig zag around, we tend to stick to one area at a time. I probably do walk more than that during a trip to the zoo because we're constantly walking, not standing in lines or sitting in shows.

Edited to add: The zoo I'm talking about is the Toronto Zoo, which is one of the largest zoos by size (710 acres - Bronx Zoo is 265 acres, San Diego is 100 acres) in the world. It's a lot of walking.
I wasn't the one who said that about the 12+ day, but we do 5 miles a day at Disney (easily). This year, the kids were older and we had park hoppers, we averaged 7 miles a day (DH wears a fuel band that tells him distance).

I honestly couldn't imagine Disney without a stroller with babies and toddlers. Our first trip, we bought a brand new stroller for my sons (7 and 4 at the time). It was a Joovy Sit and Stand Caboose and well worth the money! Although, truth be told, it wasn't a huge amount of money. The 7 year old got to ride in the back and "steer" and the 4 year old had a place to sit whenever he needed to. It was also a nice seat for them for parades and when we stopped for snacks. And it was a lifesaver when we were leaving the park at night in the crowds - one night in particular, we made my 7 year old get in the stroller because we were worried we would lose him (it was a massive surge of people).

1985 - Disneyland; 1990 & 1994 - WDW; 1997 - Disneyland Paris; 2003 - WDW; Oct. 2010 - WDW (Animal Kingdom: Kidani Village); Oct. 2011 - WDW (Contemporary/Wilderness Lodge); Oct. 2012 - WDW (Bay Lake); July 2013 - Disneyland (Grand Californian); Oct. 2014 - WDW (Bay Lake)
AshleeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:04 PM   #25
GoldieLocks5
Mouseketeer

My 5yo had not been in a stroller for years- but passed out in our stroller EVERY DAY that we were in the parks - he was exhausted - so i can't imagine doing it without a stroller.... if for nothing- to have a place to hold diapers, water bottles, etc... we have a double + ride on board and i see nothing bad about having a stroller- only good!

[/url]
Mom to 1+Twins, all boys
Planning our 3rd Disney trip! 1st was March-April 2012, Suite @ ASMu. 2nd was May 5-11 at Beach Club, and 3rd will be early May, Beach Club again!
GoldieLocks5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:32 PM   #26
Fjobe
DIS Veteran

We went last summer when our youngest was 3.5 and the summer before when she was 2.5. Last summer we didn't have a stroller for the majority of the trip (7 day trip, and stroller stolen on day 3), and she was okay. The summer before, when she was 2.5, she rode in her stroller a lot. During the time that she wasn't riding and didn't want to walk, it was really hard on me carrying her (I'm not in bad shape and I carry my kids a lot when they're young). By the end of the trip I had shin splints really bad (only time in my life I've ever had them). It took a week for my legs to feel okay again. I would bring a stroller. If your son walks, and you don't need it, that will be great, but at least you'll have the option.

Fjobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:55 PM   #27
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by heather4Disney View Post

I think I would also want it to carry all the STUFF. Even 3 water bottles when added to everything else gets heavy.
I agree. Just don't leave any "STUFF" in it that you can't replace. There are thieves at WDW, just as there are in the real world. I lost a new camera than I once stupidly left in our stroller.

No way would I do WDW with children that young and no stroller.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:54 PM   #28
BubMunkeyBles
DIS Veteran

I'm bringing our double stroller for our 2 and 3 year old. I can't imagine baby wearing for that long personally, as much as I love my ergo.

December 3-9, 2014- SSR and BWV
BubMunkeyBles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:34 PM   #29
heather4Disney
BEGINNER 2 DISNEY (Family with 3 small kids)

Your Maclaren Triump sounds good for the two choices it sounds nice and compact to fold up to take on the buses or monorail.

I too need to convince my husband but it helps when I can say EVERYONE on the forums recommends bringing one.

I googled "walt disney world stroller pictures" and I could see a pic of their rentals which are hard plastic. From the blogs it seems the under 3 is to bring your OWN stroller since they are smaller and easier for a child to crash into plus moving into and out of the parks. (your Maclaren sounds great)

For the kids 3 and older, many recommend Disney rentals since they are large but need some padding of blankets you will need to bring. It seems MK has many strollers for rental and that time of year it should be easy for us to get one. Bring your Maclaren and then rent a Disney one if both your kids konk out.
heather4Disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:23 PM   #30
MinnieFan4ever

DIS Cast Member

We just got back from a 9 day trip with out 3 1/2 year old. I wasn't sure if we would need a stroller but went ahead and orderd one. I AM SO GLAD WE DID! At home we don't use a stroller. Our daughter loves to hike. She'll do a 2 mile hike at 9,000 feet. Loves the mountains but Disney is a whole other kind of "mountain". We are going back in May and plan to rent one again.
MinnieFan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: