Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2012, 12:13 PM   #16
js
Good things come to those who wait
Joyful Mommy, WISHer, cruiser
Wants to see Tinkerbell fly!
 
js's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Posts: 4,580

As someone that is computer challenged (well I can get on and do things but not fix anything) I VERY VERY much appreciate that you all have spelled out step by step what I need to do.
I have printed out your posts and going to try to do everything you told me.
I will report back and THANK YOU!
js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:48 PM   #17
js
Good things come to those who wait
Joyful Mommy, WISHer, cruiser
Wants to see Tinkerbell fly!
 
js's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Posts: 4,580

OK, I just fixed my alternate e-mail to a new hotmail account.

But, I'm just thinking that my dh also uses the laptop (we share it).
He also has an aol account. So could this still be a virus in my laptop even though my ds's aol e-mail account is not sending out random e-mails?

Thanks so much!
js is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 12-06-2012, 08:33 AM   #18
ready123go
DIS Veteran
 
ready123go's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 832

Quote:
Originally Posted by js View Post
OK, I just fixed my alternate e-mail to a new hotmail account.

But, I'm just thinking that my dh also uses the laptop (we share it).
He also has an aol account. So could this still be a virus in my laptop even though my ds's aol e-mail account is not sending out random e-mails?

Thanks so much!
You are welcome!

I was thinking about your problem yesterday and the more I thought about it the less I liked the malware theory. So I used this new information and did a little research this morning. I found some answers on AOL How do I know if my account has been compromised (hacked)?, Compromised Accounts and Spoofed Emails. Given your recent info (2 accounts, one is sending emails), I think you are the victim of 'spoofing'. It is possible at some point that they mined your address book and are are now sending emails to your contacts.
ready123go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:48 AM   #19
arthuruscg
DIS Veteran
 
arthuruscg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Southern MD
Posts: 576

If your email address as been spoofed, all you can do it move on to a new email address.
The hacker/ spoofer is making his email address with your email address as the "sender". So eventually the receivers email program will tag your email address as a spam address and will automatically send them to the junk/spam folder or block them all together (gmail does this).
__________________
DEC 2012 FW
MAY 2012 POFQ, OCT 2011 AKL KV, OCT 2010 ALM
Memory Issues
Entire Child hood Fort Wilderness Campground
arthuruscg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:46 PM   #20
js
Good things come to those who wait
Joyful Mommy, WISHer, cruiser
Wants to see Tinkerbell fly!
 
js's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Posts: 4,580

Quote:
Originally Posted by ready123go View Post
You are welcome!

I was thinking about your problem yesterday and the more I thought about it the less I liked the malware theory. So I used this new information and did a little research this morning. I found some answers on AOL How do I know if my account has been compromised (hacked)?, Compromised Accounts and Spoofed Emails. Given your recent info (2 accounts, one is sending emails), I think you are the victim of 'spoofing'. It is possible at some point that they mined your address book and are are now sending emails to your contacts.
Thank you VERY much! You have been a wonderful help to me.
I created a new hotmail account (since that is the first e-mail account that you mentioned in your post LOL). So, your opinion is that I should just cancel my aol account for good? I hate to do it but I will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arthuruscg View Post
If your email address as been spoofed, all you can do it move on to a new email address.
The hacker/ spoofer is making his email address with your email address as the "sender". So eventually the receivers email program will tag your email address as a spam address and will automatically send them to the junk/spam folder or block them all together (gmail does this).
Thank you. So you, too, think I should just cancel my aol account for good?
I think I will do this after Christmas when all my Christmas gifts have come in since I follow the tracking and use my aol on all the invoices.

Please let me know if that is what you are both telling me and THANK YOU VERY VERY much for all your help! I honestly greatly appreciate it!
js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:59 PM   #21
js
Good things come to those who wait
Joyful Mommy, WISHer, cruiser
Wants to see Tinkerbell fly!
 
js's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Posts: 4,580

Is there ANY way that I can do a mass e-mail to my contacts to let them know my e-mail changed or do I do that one by one?
Thank you VERY much! I hope I'm not becomming more of a pest!
js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:22 PM   #22
arthuruscg
DIS Veteran
 
arthuruscg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Southern MD
Posts: 576

Usually there is an option where you import your contact to the new email account from the old email account. And usually during the import process it will offer to mass email your contacts telling them you have a new email account.

I would first scan all of the computer you have recently logged into your AOL account from and wait to see if the AOL account keeps sending spam.
__________________
DEC 2012 FW
MAY 2012 POFQ, OCT 2011 AKL KV, OCT 2010 ALM
Memory Issues
Entire Child hood Fort Wilderness Campground
arthuruscg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:28 PM   #23
js
Good things come to those who wait
Joyful Mommy, WISHer, cruiser
Wants to see Tinkerbell fly!
 
js's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Posts: 4,580

Quote:
Originally Posted by arthuruscg View Post
Usually there is an option where you import your contact to the new email account from the old email account. And usually during the import process it will offer to mass email your contacts telling them you have a new email account.

I would first scan all of the computer you have recently logged into your AOL account from and wait to see if the AOL account keeps sending spam.
?????
I am sorry but what you are telling me I have no clue how to even understand? I'm at work now and if I did this I would be at work tomorrow doing the contact list. If it is a lot of trouble, maybe I will just go through my list and cut/paste what I want to say and do it individually?

Sorry, I know I sound like a fool and I really am somewhat intelligent but I haven't a clue on what to do as you mention.
js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:25 PM   #24
ready123go
DIS Veteran
 
ready123go's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 832

Quote:
Originally Posted by js View Post
Thank you VERY much! You have been a wonderful help to me.
I created a new hotmail account (since that is the first e-mail account that you mentioned in your post LOL). So, your opinion is that I should just cancel my aol account for good? I hate to do it but I will.
I think you have some options before you cancel your account. Unfortunately, anything you do will be a PITA (pain-in-the-@$$), whether you try to resolve this or open a new account. The choice is more; which PITA you are willing to go through or willing to try before, as a last resort, opening a new account.

Last edited by ready123go; 12-06-2012 at 07:52 PM.
ready123go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:44 PM   #25
ChrisFL
Disney/Universal Fan and MALE
 
ChrisFL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Tampa, FL, US
Posts: 7,612

People still use AOL??
__________________



Disney Parks Visited: MK - EPCOT - DHS - DAK - DL - DCA - HKDL - TDL - TDS
ChrisFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:49 PM   #26
ready123go
DIS Veteran
 
ready123go's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 832

If you want to try to salvage your account (which I think you do), then go through the checklist in the 1st link (I think you already have, but it's best to make certain).
IF YOU DO have the signs of a compromised account, then follow the steps listed at the bottom of the checklist.
IF YOU DON'T have the signs, then go to the 2nd link (the 2nd is mostly the same as the 1st, just more concise - it will help you double check).
IF YOU DON'T have the signs on the 2nd link, then proceed to the 3rd link and go through the steps (I know you are not receiving emails from yourself, so just ignore that phrase and mentally insert "Others receive emails from my address" instead)
Here is a link to additional AOL Help. This is the number listed on that page for technical issues 1-800-827-6364.
ready123go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:38 AM   #27
ready123go
DIS Veteran
 
ready123go's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 832

Quote:
Originally Posted by js View Post
Is there ANY way that I can do a mass e-mail to my contacts to let them know my e-mail changed or do I do that one by one?
Thank you VERY much! I hope I'm not becomming more of a pest!
I've never done this, so I can't help here. Maybe the 800 number posted above can help?

Whatever you decide to do - best of luck!
ready123go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:31 AM   #28
arthuruscg
DIS Veteran
 
arthuruscg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Southern MD
Posts: 576

I have not use AOL or Hotmail since early 2000s.

Basically there are 2 ways to move your contacts from 1 email account to another.
1. In your new email account, go into settings or options and find the option to import contacts. In Gmail Click the gear > Setting > Accounts and import, then you choose to import just contact or all mail from another account. The website will guide you thru the process. FYI: You will be giving Gmail permission to access your AOL to do this method.

2. You go into the AOL settings and Export your contact list. Typically it will export a CSV file that you save to your computer. Then you import the CSV file to your new email account.

I just found out that AOL does not support exporting your contact in a CSV file. So, you will need to figure out option #1. You might want to ask the office tech geek for help.
__________________
DEC 2012 FW
MAY 2012 POFQ, OCT 2011 AKL KV, OCT 2010 ALM
Memory Issues
Entire Child hood Fort Wilderness Campground
arthuruscg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:37 AM   #29
js
Good things come to those who wait
Joyful Mommy, WISHer, cruiser
Wants to see Tinkerbell fly!
 
js's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Posts: 4,580

Oh my. Thank you all very much.
Of course, I printed out again and will go through all the steps again and also thanks so much for the link and phone number.

Can I ask why it is surprising that people still use aol? I am honestly asking since I thought it was all equal???

Thanks!
js is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:08 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.