Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2012, 08:11 PM   #1
serene56
DIS Veteran

christmas gift idea- please help photo enhancements

looking for a program to give my honey to enhance photos online

he already does photoshop.

i have no idea where to even start looking.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:26 PM   #2
DSLRuser
Age is a state of mind

Adobe Lightroom.

Most pros use light room for 100% of their work flow. Then use photo shop for the 10% they want o get creative with.

The 2 programs work in tandem.
Port Orleans FQ x3
Coranado Springs
Caribbean Beach Club
Contemporary Resort
Animal Kingdom Lodge
Yacht Club
Polynesian Resort
<<Disney Wonder>>
Marriot Sable Palms x 4
Marriot Royal Palms x 4
Bonnet Creek x 3
Marriot Cypress Harbor x 2
Marriot Grande Vista
DSLRuser is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-09-2012, 10:14 PM   #3
Gianna'sPapa
DIS Veteran

Another is Topaz Lab's Photoshop plug-in bundle. It has some great stuff in it. I use Denoise exclusively for my noise reduction and the DW loves Effects. They have just released a new version of Detail that looks real good.

http://www.topazlabs.com/bundle/
Gianna'sPapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:27 PM   #4
LittleMissMagic
Victoria on Vacation

IMO, programs are kind of personal, something that has to be researched by the intended user. I wouldn't expect anyone to know what program to buy me unless I specifically told them.

I'm an architecture major, and a good friend wanted to "get me something original" for my birthday (because everyone gets me Disney things... but that's because I like Disney things). Well, he bought me a Home Design software program. It's something that someone who wants to build their own house but doesn't know anything about architecture or construction would probably use. I thanked him profusely, but the program has remained wrapped, sitting in my basement for years. It's just nothing that I have ever had the need or desire to use because I create from scratch and have my own design and rendering programs to do so (actually, it was a little insulting for him to give me an amateur program, but I know his intentions were good).

You've already taken a step to ask the "pros" what they'd recommend. Lightroom or Topaz are good programs, and something he definitely might want to have. But I'd suggest that you'd ask him what he wants because he might have specific needs or wants that we can't address here, not knowing him personally.

1991-2004 AP holders | 2000 Disney Magic 4-Day Bahamas | 2005 Disneyland | 2006 Swan New Year's | 2008 AllStar Movies with HS Marching Band
2008 Grand Floridian Independence Day | 2009 Bay Lake Tower Labor Day | 2010 Wilderness Lodge New Year's | 2010 AllStar Music with HS Marching Band
2010 Polynesian Graduation Celebration | 2011 Grand Floridian Independence Day | 2012 Polynesian Spring Break | 2012 Beach Club Graduation Celebration
2012 Saratoga Springs Food & Wine | 2013 Disneyland Paris Sequoia Lodge | 2013 Beach Club Resort Food & Wine
2013/2014 New Year's Eve Waldorf Astoria | 2014 Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean Cruise

LittleMissMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:08 AM   #5
photo_chick
Knows a little about a lot of things, a lot about nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by serene56 View Post
looking for a program to give my honey to enhance photos online

he already does photoshop.

i have no idea where to even start looking.
Unless he's named something specific if he's already using Photoshop I wouldn't get him anything. It's the standard for a reason. Lightroom is a good piece of software to augment Photoshop as far as image management goes if that's something he needs. But I know a number of photographers who are ditching Lightroom since Bridge in CS6 runs so much better than previous versions and actually works more seamlessly than Lightroom does with Photoshop. And the Topaz plug in's are great, as is Photomatix if he's into HDR. But the problem is those are task specific things and if you don't need them for those tasks then they're pretty useless to you.

photo_chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:58 PM   #6
DSLRuser
Age is a state of mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo_chick View Post
Lightroom is a good piece of software to augment Photoshop as far as image management goes if that's something he needs. .
I learned to use lightroom for everything, and photoshop augments lightroom.

That was how i was explaiend / taught to me many years ago. Just goes to show there are many ways to skin a cat.
Port Orleans FQ x3
Coranado Springs
Caribbean Beach Club
Contemporary Resort
Animal Kingdom Lodge
Yacht Club
Polynesian Resort
<<Disney Wonder>>
Marriot Sable Palms x 4
Marriot Royal Palms x 4
Bonnet Creek x 3
Marriot Cypress Harbor x 2
Marriot Grande Vista
DSLRuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:05 PM   #7
klmall
DIS Veteran

I agree with Topaz; maybe a gift certificate for $100 or whatever.

I have to say though that their customer service has been a problem for me in the past and I've been using Topaz products for more than 7 years.

Topaz Adjust is a great add-on for enhancing and making photos pop or bringing out clarity.

Topaz often runs packages with 2 or more of their products together for a slightly reduced price.

You can also look at software that improves "focus" e.g "Focus Magic" which is a simple product I love.

Despite improvements in cameras and lenses many experts feel that most digital pictures need more focusing or sharpening. I use Focus Magic on many of my shots after all other post-production work is done (after Lightroom etc.).

~~~~~~~~~Bay Lake Tower, December 2014 !~~~~~~~~~
klmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:28 PM   #8
photo_chick
Knows a little about a lot of things, a lot about nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSLRuser View Post
I learned to use lightroom for everything, and photoshop augments lightroom.

That was how i was explaiend / taught to me many years ago. Just goes to show there are many ways to skin a cat.
Totally. I do use Lightroom for 90% of what I do as well. But with the new Bridge in CS6... I see why people are dumping Lightroom. Adobe keeps throwing out new versions so fast that what was the best solution for some a year ago may not necessarily be the best now. It's constantly changing.

photo_chick is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: