Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2012, 11:51 AM   #1
snoopy5386
DIS Veteran

2 year old eats all her advent chocolate, teach her a lesson or not?

My two daughters, ages 6 and 2, have chocolate advent calendars, the kind where you open a door each night and eat one piece of chocolate. We had been leaving them on the kitchen table and my 2 year old has been great about not touching them until this morning when she ate 10 chocolates in 10 minutes. So here is the dilemma, do I teach her a lesson and let her watch her sister eat a chocolate every night while she has none? Or do I replace her calendar and let her continue her advent fun and chalk this up to a parental oops for leaving the chocolate in her reach?

I'm really on the fence about this one, if she were 3 or older I would have no problem teaching her a lesson, but she is just 2 and she really doesn't seem to get it. She knows she has done something wrong and that she wasn't supposed to eat the chocolate, but she doesn't seem to get that she doesn't have an advent calendar now.

WWYD?
Coronado Springs 3/05
Polynesian 10/05
DD's 1st TRIP for her 1st BIRTHDAY April 07!!!!
Polynesian 10/07 Girls Trip!
Coronado Springs 6/08
Food and Wine Festival Fall 2008
Sailing on the Magic 10/10/09
snoopy5386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:53 AM   #2
DisneyLvr55
The thing swooped down, hit me in the face with its wing, scooped up my dog, and flew away

Its your fault for leaving it within her reach. Shes a baby for goodness sakes.
Register to remove

Old 12-10-2012, 11:58 AM   #3
Allison
- Join date March 2004 -

Don't use an advent calendar to teach a lesson to a 2 year old.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:02 PM   #4
lan3
Mouseketeer

I would buy her a new one and keep it out of her reach. I think two year olds are too young to be expected to leave chocolate alone and eat one per day. My 5 year old ate an extra day this year. I would not punish her by making her see her sibling eat chocolate. She is too young for that.
lan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:04 PM   #5
angelmom27
DIS Veteran

I would just say parental oops for leaving it down and replace the chocolate. Of course now I think mommy will put it up where they can't reach it again just in case. Lol. I would be on the fence too cause I would want to teach her a lesson but knowing my 23 month old she wouldn't understand and it would just cause a meltdown and drive mommy insane. Although you could kind of teach her a lesson. Don't put the chocolate in the calender. Then when she opens her you can remind her why but tell her if she would like a piece of chocolate you have one here for her. That way she gets what she did and knows that when we take the chocolate out its not there anymore.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:06 PM   #6
scottish mum
We still have 2 posties in shorts
I'm still learning how to work it

I think at 2 she is too young to understand fully so i would buy her a new one and keep it out of reach of her.

If she were older then yes I would teach her a lesson but she is still just a babe
Disneyland Paris 1994, 1997, 2004, 2009
fort wilderness cabins september 2008
Beach Club October 2010

scottish mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:07 PM   #7
Eliza32
DIS Veteran

I don't think two years old is too young to learn about consequences. I like the idea of the PP to have her open the calendar each day and find no chocolate, but give her something by hand - maybe ask her each day why there is nothing there to reiterate the message. Once she has caught up, no problem!!!
Eliza32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:13 PM   #8
FigmentFinder
DIS Veteran

My DD is almost 2. I wouldn't blame her for eating something that was in her reach. She wouldn't get the concept yet of one per day for Advent.

Unless you want to deal with meltdowns for the next 2 weeks, I would buy a new advent calendar.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:28 PM   #9
snoopy5386
DIS Veteran

OP here, my gut (and my husband) say to replace it, but a couple of friends I talked to said not to, made me feel like a bad mom for thinking about replacing it. Hence the question here. She'll be getting a new one this afternoon.
Coronado Springs 3/05
Polynesian 10/05
Coronado Springs 6/08
Old 12-10-2012, 01:02 PM   #10
disney is my life
DIS Veteran

In my family my mom usually buys 2 advent calenders in late November. My 6 year old sister usually eats most of it before advent even starts. A couple days after advent start grocery stores will have them 50% off and my mom usually buys 4 more. We bought them yeasterday on sale for $0.44 . I would just say buy them both a new one because if you only buy the younger one a new one then the older one will wonder why her sister got a whole new one because she didn't follow the rules. I would also put them out of reach this time

November 2011-All Star Movies
March 2013-POP Century
November 2013-Caribbean Beach Resort
disney is my life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:10 PM   #11
snoopy5386
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney is my life View Post
In my family my mom usually buys 2 advent calenders in late November. My 6 year old sister usually eats most of it before advent even starts. A couple days after advent start grocery stores will have them 50% off and my mom usually buys 4 more. We bought them yeasterday on sale for $0.44 . I would just say buy them both a new one because if you only buy the younger one a new one then the older one will wonder why her sister got a whole new one because she didn't follow the rules. I would also put them out of reach this time
She won't be getting a whole new one, DH and I will take care of eating the first 10 days worth of chocolate

And they are on top of the fridge now
Coronado Springs 3/05
Polynesian 10/05
Coronado Springs 6/08
Old 12-10-2012, 01:48 PM   #12
dmdelight
Mouseketeer

glad it' s all resolved now.

when my ds was younger, he was over at a friend's,and his mom had left several bars of chocolate on the bench.
too much temptation for the 2 little boys- and they were all devoured- their answer was, well it was there!!
dmdelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:21 PM   #13
Missy13d69
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy5386 View Post
OP here, my gut (and my husband) say to replace it, but a couple of friends I talked to said not to, made me feel like a bad mom for thinking about replacing it. Hence the question here. She'll be getting a new one this afternoon.
I have a feeling that your friends would replace it if they were in the position. A two year old is not going to learn anything from the experience if you try to "teach a lesson" she's just going to be sad that she didn't get any candy every day. The lesson that needed to be learned, was learned. You learned not to leave chocolate down around a 2 year old! LOL. Don't feel bad though. I learned the same thing this morning. I left my Merci on the night stand last night and my 2 and 3 year olds found it this morning. Now I'm down 4 pieces. It really sucks to watch kids gobble fine chocolate like it's Hershey's, not savoring it at all...

Missy13d69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:00 PM   #14
mm1971
DIS Veteran

That's why we got lego calendars, they don't taste very good.

For a two year old, I would just explain the situation and maybe give her some other treat on the days the chocolate has been eaten already. Maybe a different type of treat or a couple crackers or something. I would not replace the chocolates as those were eaten and I think she can understand it, but not necessary understand the "fairness" of not getting something. Just a thought. My overall feeling is that it is the Christmas season. What would Santa do? He would find a way to make DD learn about advent without punishing her for her misstep.

mm1971 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:31 PM   #15
Sarah_Rose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy5386 View Post
She won't be getting a whole new one, DH and I will take care of eating the first 10 days worth of chocolate

And they are on top of the fridge now
I would do the same thing with my two year old. He's too young to get the concept of "only open one a day!", and he wouldn't understand the punishment for a crime that happened days earlier. It would be a big melt down every day for the next 10 days, and he wouldn't even understand the lesson he was supposed to learn.

Enjoy your chocolate, and Merry Christmas!

Fort Wilderness May 2014, Inaugural DOPEY CHALLENGE 2014, AoA February 2013, DLR (Christmas trip!) December 2011, DLR (DL Half Marathon) September 2011, AKL Kidani (WDW Half Marathon) 2011, CSR and the GOOFY 2010, WL and the WDW Half Marathon 2009 (2:29), Disneyland Resort Paris 2007, Off-Site 2006, ASMu 2002, Dixie Landings 2000
Sarah_Rose is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: