DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2012, 10:15 AM   #1
Moira222
Can't get enough of the Magic & Pixie Dust!

Short notice DVC trip?

We are waiting for our DVC resale purchase to go through ROFR. Provided all goes well (fingers, toes and everything else crossed!!!) we will have 230 points that we need to use before June 1. (I know, horrible, right?)

Anyway, knowing that this won't all wrap up till sometime in January (probably late January) won't give us a lot of time. Our ideal trip would be the second week of February, with early March & early April as our alternate weeks. (Its hard with kids in school, work projects, etc.) We would be renting two studios (traveling with another family). What are my odds of getting reservations short notice? Our home resort will be OKW, with my other possible resorts as AKV, BWV, and SSR (in that order). Thoughts?

thanks!
Moira222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:28 AM   #2
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies

anything is "possible" - but on short notice, you need to be very flexible. SSR will be your best bet (largest resort) and you'd be much better off avoiding holiday weeks. (1BRs might be easier to find than studios as well.)

good luck.

chalee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-19-2012, 01:11 PM   #3
missycj96
DIS Veteran

I've gotten lucky on short notice for short trips - luck requires diligence and being flexible on date, size of unit, view and of course resort. And when you see something that works - grab it. I actually love most of the dvc resorts. I just picked up 2 nights pre-cruise at bay lake tower mid jan.
missycj96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:13 PM   #4
bobbiwoz
I'm happy to dance with you
I have 2 opinions
We had tried usual things to keep them away, including something like coyote urine, it is sold in hardware stores by us

May, early May, has been a light time for DVC, so maybe that would have a better selection.

bobbiwoz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:25 PM   #5
Moira222

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalee94 View Post
anything is "possible" - but on short notice, you need to be very flexible. SSR will be your best bet (largest resort) and you'd be much better off avoiding holiday weeks. (1BRs might be easier to find than studios as well.)

good luck.
I promised my friends that we would have separate rooms -- sometimes our girls get on each other's nerves after a while (we camp together often) so we need our own space. but I'll see if a 2 BR would work, I think if I borrowed a few points from next year I could swing it. Good to know that SSR is the best bet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by missycj96 View Post
I've gotten lucky on short notice for short trips - luck requires diligence and being flexible on date, size of unit, view and of course resort. And when you see something that works - grab it. I actually love most of the dvc resorts. I just picked up 2 nights pre-cruise at bay lake tower mid jan.
I'm curious to see how the online reservations work for DVC. Is it better to call or go online?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbiwoz View Post
May, early May, has been a light time for DVC, so maybe that would have a better selection.
Good to know about May. Its pushing it for me, as mid-late May is busy in my office, but the first two weeks are on our list of possible dates. thanks!
Old 12-19-2012, 01:29 PM   #6
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moira222 View Post
I'm curious to see how the online reservations work for DVC. Is it better to call or go online?
i'd agree that early may is a great option.

since you're not locked in on specific dates, i think it's more fun to poke around and look at what is available online. i don't think it'll be difficult at all to book online (edited to add: referring to the process - availability might be iffy).

chalee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:29 PM   #7
Simba's Mom
everything went to "H*** in a handbasket
Keep me off the high horses!
Suffers from theme park dyslexia

I've seen AKV, savannah view, available at just a couple weeks out, but this was in September. In late February, you might want to consider trying out at HHI, if you've never been. I sat in the front lounge there one morning at 10:00, and listened to a family that was scheduled to check out book an extra night. You can't get much shorter notice than an hour.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:10 PM   #8
helenk
BL II - Purple Team>
WISH Biggest Loser/Blue Team
Loves Monk, and Peeps,

I just booked AKV Jambo house, standard view (I don't have a lot of points left) for 5/5-5/9.
When I looked AKV were available for standard and savannah views, SSR was available and OKW was available. I had just stayed at SSR in Oct and OKW in Dec so opted for AKV, although I did waitlist VWL.
But anyway, I was surprised at the resorts that were available.
If you are flexible you should be able to book something, once you have your points go on line and play around with your dates & different resorts.

Offsite 6/83,5/87
ASSP 7/95 & 11/08, GF 9/99, YC 11/01, WL 12/02 & 9/09 POR 9/03, POFQ 6/04, 12/04, & 5/06 POLY 6/04 & 12/05, POP 12/04, ASMU 7/05,10/07 & 12/07, AKL 12/06, CBR 5/07, CSR 5/08, SSR 11/08, CR 1/09, DLH 5/09, AKV 6/09, ASSP 10/09, ASSP&AKV 12/09, BCV 9/10, VWL 12/10, AKV 1/11 AKV/DCL 5/11 VWL&AKV 12/11, AKV 5/12,SSR 10/12, OKW 12/12, AKV 5/13, HHI 6/13,VWL 12/13, VCG 5/14, Hollywood Hotel, Hong Kong 5/14, AKV 8/14
helenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:18 AM   #9
Moira222

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simba's Mom View Post
I've seen AKV, savannah view, available at just a couple weeks out, but this was in September. In late February, you might want to consider trying out at HHI, if you've never been. I sat in the front lounge there one morning at 10:00, and listened to a family that was scheduled to check out book an extra night. You can't get much shorter notice than an hour.
I know HHI is an option, but its not Disney World and hubby is set on WDW

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenk View Post
I just booked AKV Jambo house, standard view (I don't have a lot of points left) for 5/5-5/9.
When I looked AKV were available for standard and savannah views, SSR was available and OKW was available. I had just stayed at SSR in Oct and OKW in Dec so opted for AKV, although I did waitlist VWL.
But anyway, I was surprised at the resorts that were available.
If you are flexible you should be able to book something, once you have your points go on line and play around with your dates & different resorts.
This is great info, thanks!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: