Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2012, 12:28 PM   #16
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tajz90 View Post
What good are the dates from Galveston if no one is sailing? I love Disney and wished I could have caught one from Galveston, but during the school year isn't an optimal time and the few times we could have, it was cheaper to cruise The Fantasy from PC.

Even next years 4 night Cmas from Galveston sailing is almost as much as the 7 night Cmas week cruise this year on the Fantasy.
Everyone keeps saying during the school year is not a good time. How did DCL fill ships out of other ports during the school year? The causes for the low sales out of Galveston are not rooted in the school calender.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:28 PM   #17
quickcat
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenerra11 View Post
I am Appalled that DCL is leaving Galveston!!! Has anyone checked the prices of Airfare lately? The flights from Houston to Florida are ridiculous... They could have at least stayed through the first part of 2014!
The airfare is a lot for us to fly into IAH or HOU. We are in MN and its way cheaper for us to drive than fly. With 2 kids, we are definitely going to need the 8 night cruise after driving 19 hours in the car with the kids!
Its definitely cheaper for us to fly to MCO.
quickcat is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-04-2012, 12:29 PM   #18
tajz90
Mama D

Quote:
Originally Posted by sissy_ib

Everyone keeps saying during the school year is not a good time. How did DCL fill ships out of other ports during the school year? The causes for the low sales out of Galveston are not rooted in the school year.
Not a good time for me. I don't pull my kids from school
tajz90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:31 PM   #19
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tajz90 View Post
Not a good time for me. I don't pull my kids from school
I get that. But a lot of people do. I'm just saying the school thing is not the only reason for the low sales in Texas.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:33 PM   #20
Raspberry Beret
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sissy_ib View Post
Everyone keeps saying during the school year is not a good time. How did DCL fill ships out of other ports during the school year? The causes for the low sales out of Galveston are not rooted in the school calender.
ITA.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:34 PM   #21
kcashner
DIS Veteran

In theory, Galveston seemed like a good market for DCL. In reality, all those people who were so excited about having a ship closer to their home didn't book a trip! DCL has had to discount the Galveston cruises and they still aren't sailing full.

It's all about the finances. WHY they aren't filling is speculation. Castaway Cay is one possibility and probably shows up on guest surveys as something more want.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:50 PM   #22
jfs9900
DCL

From the DCL website...
Quote:
Get ready to explore dazzling destinations in 2014! Disney Cruise Line is offering cruises departing from such popular home ports as Miami, Florida, Port Canaveral, Florida and Galveston, Texasand sailing to spectacular ports of call in the Bahamas and Caribbean.
Galveston will be back in the second half of 2014. I bet, that Disney will want to use Port Canaveral to show off the new and improved Disney Magic when she's back from refurbishment.
Wonder 01/31/2010 - 4 night
Magic 06/13/2009 - 7 night Western
Magic 03/14/2009 - 7 night Eastern
Wonder 01/08/2009 - 4 night
Magic 10/09/2004 - 7 night Modified Western
jfs9900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:50 PM   #23
cruisecrasher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner
In theory, Galveston seemed like a good market for DCL. In reality, all those people who were so excited about having a ship closer to their home didn't book a trip! DCL has had to discount the Galveston cruises and they still aren't sailing full.

It's all about the finances. WHY they aren't filling is speculation. Castaway Cay is one possibility and probably shows up on guest surveys as something more want.
But I did! Three!
And now they're leaving right before my 10th anniversary. We'd wanted to do a VR out of Galveston so family might be able to come.
cruisecrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:51 PM   #24
cruisecrasher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfs9900
From the DCL website...

Galveston will be back in the second half of 2014. I bet, that Disney will want to use Port Canaveral to show off the new and improved Disney Magic when she's back from refurbishment.
I hope so.
cruisecrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:54 PM   #25
cypressmom
Love my Disney vacations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfs9900 View Post
From the DCL website...

Possibly. I was hoping to see Disney here during the summer months, but so far it's not been the case. My husband wants to sail the Fantasy, but my youngest wants to sail the Magic again. I wouldn't mind sailing it refurbished, but was hoping we could do so out of Galveston.

Disney World, 1986,1995, 2011 & 2014
Disneyland, 2001, 2007, 2010, 2011 & 2013
Disney Cruise Line, 2012 & 2014
cypressmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:55 PM   #26
tajz90
Mama D

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypressmom

Possibly. I was hoping to see Disney here during the summer months, but so far it's not been the case. My husband wants to sail the Fantasy, but my youngest wants to sail the Magic again. I wouldn't mind sailing it refurbished, but was hoping we could do so out of Galveston.
I would have liked summer too.
tajz90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:03 PM   #27
Coconuts
DIS Veteran

The Galveston cruises were priced ok, and KSF was definetly a great option. But there were 2 reasons keeping us from booking:

1) we couldn't find the right week with the right itinerary; we wanted CC.

2) airfare into Houston was way more than into MCO, and a longer flight for my little one.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:05 PM   #28
ksucats
Mouseketeer

Maybe the fact that they aren't going to be back in the spring of 2014 will get people to book the spring of 2013 from Galveston. I am a little concerned that our March 19 4 day is going to be almost empty. (I am contemplating whether to move my sail date to a later date before the PIF date & hope for further discounts on March 19).
Old 12-04-2012, 01:27 PM   #29
jennypenny
Raising 3 disneyholics like any proper parent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sissy_ib View Post
Florida has a much higher percentage of people without kids, so the potential market is bigger in the off-season. Plus, airfare from the megolopolis is still pretty reasonable to florida (miami or orlando) so that helps attract people from my area.

And they have the potential tie-in with WDW visitors. I've always been surprised they haven't pushed that more by including fastpasses or discounted park tickets if you booked a cruise/wdw combo.

I wake up dreaming of the Beach Club...
jennypenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:31 PM   #30
mikehn
DIS Veteran

As I posted way back. I knew this was not going to last. There isnt anything attractive or advantageous about cruising out of Galveston. Except for residents local to the gulf states who can drive to Galveston, people flying to a cruise port are going to choose to fly to one of the ports in Florida over Texas any day.
mikehn is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: